Edge 510 owners - impressions & gripes

seddo

Re: Edge 510 owners - impressions & gripes

Postby seddo » Fri May 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Alas no,when pairing it provides with a passkey to accept which I have on numerous occasions . The 510 gives me the "thumbs up" but the bluetooth icon on the 510 continues to flash thus not connected will see if there are any gurus at work who can help and any suggestions from forumites are welcome.

cheers
Seddo

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 pm

bought a 510 a few days ago. have upgraded to 2.5. Will report on performance later.
gradually coming to terms with it, though :
- thought the touch screen would at least have the functionality of smart phones.
- if I turn GPS off, then turn the unit off, then restart, the GPS defaults to being on.
- I think HR strap pairing function didn't work initally because out of the box it was turned off. (this is a full kit bought in Australia).
- For the first 2 days, the unit wouldn't pair with another ANT+ strap made by Bontrager. Tonight it paired though. (yes i turned off and rebooted, etc.)

Seems like Garmin have the same business model as Nokia...crap software...They are ripe for Samsung, HTC, or Apple to come in and bury them.

Nemesis034

Postby Nemesis034 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:26 pm

winstonw wrote:Seems like Garmin have the same business model as Nokia...crap software...They are ripe for Samsung, HTC, or Apple to come in and bury them.
This is not good. I was thinking of making the plunge but not too sure anymore.

march83

Postby march83 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Upgraded to 2.5, put a few rides in it and I'm really happy.

@winston: If the touch screen were capacitive and sensitive like a phone then sweat drips and moisture would mess it up and it wouldn't work (well) through gloves.

@seddo: I have had issues with being unable to reconnect 2 or 3 times. I just rebooted the phone and it was all good. There's talk on the Garmin forums that reverting to connect v1.1 helps too.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun May 05, 2013 7:09 am

My experience with Bluetooth is a joke. A connection is confirmed on both devices (smart phone), but a few seconds later the 510 says it is disconnected, with both sitting on the same table a foot apart. Then I have to unpair and repair from the phone again, which again says it is connected...repeat...it did connect automatically when I turned both devices off, then on again...once. Totally useless. Seals Garmin's reputation in my mind.

boss

Postby boss » Sun May 05, 2013 8:48 am

winstonw wrote: - thought the touch screen would at least have the functionality of smart phones.

Seems like Garmin have the same business model as Nokia...crap software...They are ripe for Samsung, HTC, or Apple to come in and bury them.
You undestimate the development (and money) that has gone into phone UI.

The market for bicycle GPS computers is puny. The likes of apple, Htc or Samsung would not give us a second glance.

The fact we have very powerful, tiny computers with slick UIs in our pocket is going to make the Garmin 'utilitarian UI' proposition harder to stomach over time, regardless of the commercial reality, though.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 am

winstonw wrote:Seems like Garmin have the same business model as Nokia...crap software...
And in case anyone is thinking otherwise, this is not an aberration - these are exactly the type of issues I had years ago when I got an Edge 310, and before that with the Garmin GPS I bought.

Like many US companies, Garmin's business model is to get the product into the marketplace quickly. They let the consumer find the problems, and then eventually (maybe) fix them later if the developers aren't to busy working on the next product.

I will never buy another Garmin product of any kind.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun May 05, 2013 10:12 am

When did cycling become such a techno/computer nerd pastime? Talk about distracting from the simple pleasures of cycling. Just ride..... :roll: :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 am

I can report that my edge 500 is working fine. Just takes a while to acquire the satellites, 2 minutes at most though. I just turn it on while I am still getting the helmet, gloves and shoes on etc. it's then ready to go by the time I'm ready.
The bike computer it replaced was a Polar. They are truly rubbish.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun May 05, 2013 12:30 pm

For those with connection issues still, are u using android phones? If so u need to role back to version 1.1 of garmin connect, as there are issues also with the later, v1.2.

seddo

Postby seddo » Sun May 05, 2013 8:04 pm

found a copy of 1.1 - installed it and at this stage all seems good - will test tomorrow

cheers
Seddo

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon May 06, 2013 11:10 am

uys,

Any way of getting wind direction information on the Garmin Edge 500's or 800's ?

kokoman

Postby kokoman » Mon May 06, 2013 1:31 pm

no

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon May 06, 2013 2:49 pm

kokoman wrote:no
That was quck, Oh :(

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue May 07, 2013 5:17 am

kunalraiker wrote:uys,

Any way of getting wind direction information on the Garmin Edge 500's or 800's ?
Lick yr finger? ;-)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 07, 2013 7:21 am

As an unhappy Bryton owner, i'm glad I read this thread, I don't feel so disappointed anymore.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:For those with connection issues still, are u using android phones? If so u need to role back to version 1.1 of garmin connect, as there are issues also with the later, v1.2.
yes I'm using latest Android OS. I didn't see anything about the 1.2 issue on Garmin's website. Thanks will try it eventually.

Several of my mates were interested in buying a 510 but when they saw how big mine was, no way.
Makes me wonder how it blew out in size so much for so little extra functionality.

I've had a Bontrager Node 1.2 on the bike for 18mths - it is ANT+, picks up HR, cadence, and power without issue. It just doesn't record data or use GPS. It's footprint is really small and get this - it runs on one CR2032 battery for around 6-9 mths. For months now I had been using my android phone for Strava recordings and the Bontrager to monitor live output. I had the option of just buying another HR strap that would connect with my phone, and I could have done without the 510. But then I wouldn't have had HR output on the Bontrager. When smart phones introduce ANT+ (unlikely because owned by garmin I think), or develop Android compatible sensors, garmin are stuffed imho. I've run my Smart phone on a 6 hour ride and only run the battery down half.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue May 07, 2013 7:32 am

winstonw wrote: When smart phones introduce ANT+ (unlikely because owned by garmin I think), or develop Android compatible sensors, garmin are stuffed imho. I've run my Smart phone on a 6 hour ride and only run the battery down half.
Sony had a range of ANT+ android phones last year. I have an Xperia Acitve which I've been playing with. This is an amazing little phone with full ANT, Baro sensor and waterproof. You can even buy a nice bar mount for it. I'm using iPbike software on mine which uploads direct to Strava. I'm still testing it to see if I can finally flick my Garmin. The last Sony ANT+ phone was the Xperia Acro S.

http://www.iforpowell.com/cms/index.php?page=ipbike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/01/revi ... csson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/09/hand ... peria.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish Sony would make a new version of this phone.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Bah!!! Another whinge coming....

I just updated to 2.50, which seemed to fix some of my issues. No ANT+ dropouts since.... But....

Last night I was nearing the end of a 90km training ride, when I noticed my battery was 5%. My 510 battery died about 200m from home, so no big loss.

When turning it on today for a training ride I found it had deleted my profile and bikes, and returned them back to default!!! I then had to re-enter all my details and bikes, and re-pair the ANT+ HR and Power meters (I don't use any GSC-10 sensors). Thankfully my training and racing screen setups were preserved however.

Another (very annoying) bug perhaps?!?!

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 pm

winstonw wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:For those with connection issues still, are u using android phones? If so u need to role back to version 1.1 of garmin connect, as there are issues also with the later, v1.2.
yes I'm using latest Android OS. I didn't see anything about the 1.2 issue on Garmin's website. Thanks will try it eventually.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... y-have-1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 am

Strange, I've had my 510 over a month and absolutely love it! Haven't had a single incident or problem with it yet? Definitely a better unit then the bryton in my opinion...
Jordan

Giant TCR Advanced SL1 2013

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed May 08, 2013 10:31 am

DaveOZ wrote:I wish Sony would make a new version of this phone.
Thanks Dave. That's exactly what I'm interested in, as long as android driven.
It surprises me more phone manufacturers haven't gone into bat against Garmin in the sports market.
I appreciate it is a volume game, but one of the fastest growing sectors in phone apps is personal health monitoring.

Maybe Sony have been hamstrung in bringing out a newer product because of this (from Wikipedia).

"The ANT protocol is designed and marketed by Dynastream Innovations Inc., a Cochrane, Canada-based company, which in turn is a wholly owned subsidiary of GPS equipment manufacturer Garmin."

I can only presume Garmin bought Dynastream to control who got use of ANT+.

boss

Postby boss » Wed May 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Given a company like Bryton is able to use ANT+ for their headunits and sell at a significant discount to the Garmin product, I don't think Garmin is actively 'hamstringing' companies with licensing. But sure, owning the rights over ANT+ would give them a competitive advantage (not having to pay for licensing) but I think for the most part they are encouraging others to adopt ANT+.

At the end of the day I think it's just a volume thing. Cycling is a big industry but I don't think it is that big - the major sports apparel brands don't bother with us. I always wonder why Nike/Adidas/Asics/et al haven't made a sustained/concerted effort at cycling - with their manufacturing abilities they should really be able to stir up the market! The only thing I can put it down to is that they know the numbers just aren't there to make it worth their while.

As an aside, it does suprise me that the 510 has been released with such major issues. I have a 500 - and it has been nothing but flawless since purchase. I suppose that is the benefit of buying a 'mature' product, but still, I would have expected more from Garmin (especially with their premium price tag).

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 pm

boss wrote:As an aside, it does suprise me that the 510 has been released with such major issues. I have a 500 - and it has been nothing but flawless since purchase. I suppose that is the benefit of buying a 'mature' product, but still, I would have expected more from Garmin (especially with their premium price tag).
Unfortunately, this is quite common in the world of electronics these days.

A few years ago the same thing happened with a very reputable PVR manufacturer - who had a great unit, then they moved into the realm of HD.

Nothing but endless firmware updates that fixed one issue but created two more. It seemed like everyone who owned these units were being treated like guinea pigs, hoping for the next FW release to be the fix that solved everything (and was never to arrive).
I currently have one of these units as a nice dust collector - and ended up building my own Home Theatre PC (and have been perfectly happy ever since).

Garmin are not immune, neither are most of the major manufacturers of electronics.
Everything has bugs in it - some more than others.

Should the 510 have been released? IMO, No
Should buyers beware of buying into "latest release" technology? Yes

It seems that many compaines only do so much testing before releasing their items out in the market place and just worry about fixing major issues as they arise (if it affects enough users).

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 08, 2013 12:55 pm

boss wrote:As an aside, it does suprise me that the 510 has been released with such major issues.
I dunno why you're so surprised - Garmin has a history of doing just this. See my previous post.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...