Garmin wheel magnet

warthog1

Garmin wheel magnet

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:44 pm

Today I broke a spoke so went home and bunged another wheel in. The replacement wheel has different dishing so that the wheel magnet was further from the gsc 10 speed/cadence sensor

The speed kept dropping out which p'd me off so I removed the magnet. Once I'd reset the device the speed/distance was fine.
This got me thinking, can I ditch the sensor arm and wheel magnets with no issues? Will the battery life be the same using gps for speed?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

KGB

Re: Garmin wheel magnet

Postby KGB » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Should be. It has to use the gps anyway for positioning. Instantaneous speed readings won't be a accurate though.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks, I might ditch the arm and magnets then. The speed on gps seemed responsive enough to changes whilst riding today. No more mucking around with magnets and adjusting the arm for wheel changes.
I'll just keep the main body of the sensor for cadence.

3DKiwi

Postby 3DKiwi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:23 am

Get yourself the new magnetless sensors. The speed one attachs to the rear hub and the cadence one goes on the crank. I had the GC10 and it was always getting knocked out of alignment. I found when using the GPS only it gave reasonable resuts on the road but off road on my mountain bike it would grossly understate distance travelled.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:41 am

Here's a magnetless solution from Garmin. I got these with my Edge 1000 so have the old sensor and magnets on two bikes and these on one. Work a treat (assuming your Garmin computer supports the separate sensors).

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garm ... nsors.html
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:51 am

Boognoss wrote:Here's a magnetless solution from Garmin. I got these with my Edge 1000 so have the old sensor and magnets on two bikes and these on one. Work a treat (assuming your Garmin computer supports the separate sensors).

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garm ... nsors.html
nice :) thanks
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:00 am

One thing too that I just thought of. On three different bikes I used to get cadence spikes like a max of 240 when my actual max is around 120-130 with the old combo sensor. With the separate sensors on one bike, I no longer get the spikes on it and still do on the Edge 1000 with the two old sensors.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

kb

Postby kb » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:11 am

Boognoss wrote:One thing too that I just thought of. On three different bikes I used to get cadence spikes like a max of 240 when my actual max is around 120-130 with the old combo sensor. With the separate sensors on one bike, I no longer get the spikes on it and still do on the Edge 1000 with the two old sensors.
You probably coast with your pedals horizontal or backpedal occasionally. Garmin Vectors will also fix spikes but cost just a little extra ;-)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:17 am

Boognoss wrote:One thing too that I just thought of. On three different bikes I used to get cadence spikes like a max of 240 when my actual max is around 120-130 with the old combo sensor. With the separate sensors on one bike, I no longer get the spikes on it and still do on the Edge 1000 with the two old sensors.
Yep, same here, because I coast with the pedals level sometimes, and you get a "flutter" that makes it think you are pedalling like mad.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:26 am

queequeg wrote:
Yep, same here, because I coast with the pedals level sometimes, and you get a "flutter" that makes it think you are pedalling like mad.
Ahhhh you're probably right. That makes sense. Cheers.
kb wrote:
You probably coast with your pedals horizontal or backpedal occasionally. Garmin Vectors will also fix spikes but cost just a little extra ;-)
Cheers +1

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Did a long loop today and distance was pretty similar to last time considering I took a bit of a shortcut home. Think I'll just ditch the speed sensor.
The 3 blokes I rode with all had power meters, so used that for cadence and GPS for speed/distance using 510s. You don't need a speed sensor on the road it appears.
If I do get another one It'll be the newer type though thanks. :)

kb

Postby kb » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Depends.. I missed out on a PR up Terry's Av due my wheel magnet slipping, poor(ish) GPS and rather slow stretches. Of course, if I'd turned off auto pause there wouldn't have been a problem.

killerloop

Postby killerloop » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:38 am

INtersting that you dont need speed sensors when paird with a power meter... didnt know that.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:22 am

From memory, even Powertap does cadence. I'm guessing noone's pedal stroke is smooth enough to hide the pedal rate.