Garmin Edge 520

Metrogizual

Garmin Edge 520

Postby Metrogizual » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:11 pm

So Garmin has released their new Edge 520 recently. It hasn't hit Australia yet, I hope it's not to far off.

The biggest update would be the live Strava segments :)

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/07/07/new ... abilities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kb

Re: Garmin Edge 520

Postby kb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:21 pm

I believe the latest firmware update for the Edge 1000 (possibly 810, 510 too) supports Strava segments. I'm not interested in connecting Garmin Connect and Strava so won't be testing but there is this

http://gniza.org/segments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which writes segment .fit files from Strava segments and allows you to choose various targets from the leaderboards. Should work for devices that support connect segments.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:23 pm

kb wrote:I believe the latest firmware update for the Edge 1000 (possibly 810, 510 too) supports Strava segments.
I read that these updates would be available to the 810 in October updates. Not sure about the other variants. I only looked it up for the 810.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

kb

Garmin Edge 520

Postby kb » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:38 am

Tornado wrote:
kb wrote:I believe the latest firmware update for the Edge 1000 (possibly 810, 510 too) supports Strava segments.
I read that these updates would be available to the 810 in October updates. Not sure about the other variants. I only looked it up for the 810.
[edit: sorry just read your post properly - whoops! haven't checked 810. Below is 1000 though ]

Change History
Changes made from version 3.10 to 4.10:
Added support for Strava Live Segments. To start the Strava Live Segments experience, go to connect.garmin.com and link your Garmin Connect account with your Strava premium account through the segments widget, then sync with your Edge 1000 through WiFi, Garmin Connect Mobile, or Garmin Express.
Increased the amount of segments that can be stored from 50 to 100.
Fixed Edge Remote connection issues.
Fixed an issue with route replacement.
Fixed missed calls not displaying the phone number when connected to an Android phone.
Improved Bluetooth file download notifications.
Fixed Distance Ahead/Behind data field when riding a segment with the Virtual Partner training page disabled.
Fixed Course Point Distance data field.
Fixed Pedal Smoothness and Torque Effectiveness ride summary fields with left-side-only power meters.

And 810 - yup not yet :-(

Change History
Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.60:
Improved connection stability with Garmin Connect Mobile and fixed sync issues.
Made several improvements to course routing and general course experience.
Implemented improvements for torque effectiveness, pedal smoothness, and cycling dynamics data. This includes a fix for displaying torque effectiveness and pedal smoothness data in summary pages for left side only power meters.
Fixed several issues with data fields displaying incorrect data.
Fixed an issue where the backlight time out was not being observed when the Edge is plugged into external power.
Fixed several issues with Where To? search functionality.
Added battery percentage to the Shimano Di2 sensor about page.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:48 am

All good. I'll get the updates eventually. I'm not particularly concerned about segments being live on my Garmin. I don't really chase segments. Just ride as well as I can and hope they fall occasionally.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

feisty007

Postby feisty007 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:52 am

Looks nice. When is it out?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:13 pm

feisty007 wrote:Looks nice. When is it out?
After tomorrow. http://www.pushys.com.au/garmin-edge-520.html at $399 or
http://www.pushys.com.au/garmin-edge-52 ... dence.html at $499
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:50 am

510 was updated the other day. Got live strava segments now as well.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:13 am

Do you have to be connected to Garmin Connect whilst riding to get the segments live?

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:50 am

Not sure. TBH I haven't used it yet.

kb

Garmin Edge 520

Postby kb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Nope. Just the device will do once the segments are loaded. If you're following a course they won't be active though, unless the course has embedded segments.

yehuda

Postby yehuda » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 am

So the segments loaded on my Garmin, and it's all up to date.
I can just start riding and the GPS knows when I'm doing a segment?
Or do I have to choose it from the Garmin beforehand in anticipation?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:25 pm

Posted in the 'Buying' sub-forum, but thought I'd post here as well just in case you miss it there.

OK, got mine and have been for a few rides with it. Some good and some bad points.

Good points :
LOVE the bigger screen and the display method
Love the light/day display option
Like the colour
Like the elevation trace that was on the Edge 305
Like the breadcrumb navigation trail that was on the Edge 305

Bad Points :
Just found the bit in the manual to solve the auto pause issue (should be automatically done)
Don't like that you cant zoom (easily) during ride the nav/map display (per Edge 305)
Don't like that you cant zoom the elevation trace data page
Don't like that I cant get rid off the virtual partner page and have another data page - I can only see that I can have one date page and one lap page. The others are fixed at Elevation trace, Nav and Virtual partner - I don't need those all the time.

Need help with ??!!??
How to zoom on the fly the Elevation trace
Add a separate data page and p.o. the Virtual partner
Seem to have buggered up the text/call notification - so will read the manual to see whay it isn't working (the phone says it is and it got the code ? - maybe did something wrong) edit : Fixed :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:37 am

Bloody software 'updates'. GRRRRRRR :evil: :evil: :evil:

Should have known better, but accidently loaded it due to button confusion and gloves.

Anyway, the update reset the 'Training mode' (easy fix, but why does it do it :?: ), but the biggest issue is that it corrupted the Bluetooth connection.

Aftyer a bit of faffing about, the way I found to fix it was to hard reset & get the phone (iPhone 6 with 9.4.3 iOS) to forget the connection and reset.

What a PITA :!:

And they still haven't fixed basic things light allowing the light to be turned on without changing the screen, dynamic zoom of the gradient profile screen and dynamic zoom of the maps :roll: :roll:

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:48 am

last update broke my bluetooth, but all i needed to do was repair. still far more consistent than the 510 connection though.

the other annoying thing it did was clear the settings for my connect apps. the fields are still on their respective screens but any supporting data for the apps has been set back to defaults. needed to reconnect to a computer and use garmin express to restore them.

other than that i've been super happy with mine. I've been commuting lately with my 510 so i'm getting daily reminders of how clunky the old touch screen was

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Yeah, the software update also borked my bluetooth connection, just needed to forget and reconnect.

After that my automatic syncs to Garmin Connect stopped working. After much button pressing, googling and swearing, started working again - I've got no idea how or why.

Still loving it though, a major improvement over my old Garmin 200.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

sobmal

Re: Garmin Edge 520.. Damn it..

Postby sobmal » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:52 pm

I just got the 520 as an "upgrade" to my trusty olde 500 that I have donated to my best pal who's just getting into cycling.

The 520 was a bit of a pain to set up compared to the 500, but I can take that as there's a bunch more options, worked my way through it enough to set it up, set my start location elevation, went for a ride. Immediately noticed that elevation was consistently out and didn't update at regular intervals, went for another ride and noticed the same thing?

Now perhaps I have a faulty unit? but the elevation display seems to lag and generally be down 20% at the end of a known ride where my 500 shows about the correct elevation, generally the 520 seems to miss out on small rolling hills where you go up 5-10M and drop down again soon after.

My olde 500 handles rolling hills fine, 2-4M up's and downs seem to be logged correctly and displayed in near real time.

Logged a case with Garmin support, but then while searching the interweb.. it seems that this is a common complaint with the 520?

Had I researched this more thoroughly, it would have been a deal breaker. Now I don't have my good olde 500 and I'm stuck with this fancy but pointless 520.. I mean the absolute 2 things that the 520 should get correct is distance and elevation? or is this too much to ask of a product that's supposed to be an evolution of the good old 500?

I do recall that the 500 had a software update (years ago) that seemed to correct elevation, although I cant recall if there ever was a elevation display lag with the 500 on the old firmware (many 1000's rides ago..)

This morning I found myself rolling along looking down and shaking my head at the stupid thing trying to tell me I'm not climbing!

To top it all off, the damn thing is a real pain to get connected to a PC in mass storage mode, now that's most probably a Garmin connect/Windows crap thing (trying to start GC on device plugin) hint.. hold the lap button down while it boots up when first connected to a windows machine.

Has anyone got a 520 that actually logs climbs in real time? what I mean that it should show 1 meter increments in real time as you climb a hill rather than wait a random bunch of time and just increase a random bunch of meters.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:12 am

(AT) sobmal

Yes, compared to the 520, the ascent value update is a bit 'delayed' as best as I can put it. I find though, that it's still accurate (compared with my 500) and the same goes for % grade - laggy as hell, which can be a bit naff, but doesn't chnage anything re the actual ride.

There are other beefs about the 520 that bug me more, but it is what it is (e.g. Connect displays the graphs against time not distance, the backlight issue, the lack of zoom on the fly for elevation and maps, Connect summary cannot show the metrics you want (i.e. I don't care about a faff calorie value, I want ascent), and a few more). NONE of the solutions out there suit everyone nor do everything.

Interestingly, a mates Garmin 25 reads different ascent totals uncorrected during the ride (as does a mates 510). 3 different values for the same ride, let alone when Connect and Strava have their way.

I use the total ascent as a guide to my ride only, i.e. that was a 500m acesnt ride or a 1,000m etc. The final number is not the measure of a good ride, just a metric like speed, distance etc.

I don't even run cadence or a speed ensor 'cause it doesn't really matter for the riding I'm doing.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:01 pm

Yep - BT had a hissy-fit on mine, I just deleted the 520 profile on my phone (Sony Xperia) and reconnected - all good now.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

kb

Postby kb » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:02 pm

march83 wrote:last update broke my bluetooth, but all i needed to do was repair. still far more consistent than the 510 connection though.

the other annoying thing it did was clear the settings for my connect apps. the fields are still on their respective screens but any supporting data for the apps has been set back to defaults. needed to reconnect to a computer and use garmin express to restore them.

other than that i've been super happy with mine. I've been commuting lately with my 510 so i'm getting daily reminders of how clunky the old touch screen was
If you don't want to use Garmin Express for backup/restore, you can do it locally (still need a computer).

http://support.garmin.com/support/searc ... 0000000%7D

Garmin caches settings pretty aggressively so it's sometimes worth doing a second reboot after upgrading. This may fix the profiles without having to manually copy the backup files to \Garmin\NewFiles

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:56 am

Thanks for that. Yep, I should have known better and made a local backup before doing the update. It wasn't a big deal to restore it but yeah, you have reminded me that I've had my 520 for a few months and I haven't actually done a full local backup so if i have a data corruption I've got no restore point.

Maps: has anyone done the map tile upgrade that DCRainmaker described for the 520/820/1000? I did it on the weekend and the improvement in detail is fantastic. The map even shows me where I can get a beer on the way home from a ride!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:47 pm

march83 wrote: ...
Maps: has anyone done the map tile upgrade that DCRainmaker described for the 520/820/1000? I did it on the weekend and the improvement in detail is fantastic. The map even shows me where I can get a beer on the way home from a ride!
Yep, used it on my trip to Italy & France - worked a treat !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Anyone know how to turn off the auto remind feature when a software update comes through ?

Getting sick of delaying it, as it's working fine.