Garmin Edge 520 pricing

Releng

Garmin Edge 520 pricing

Postby Releng » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:56 am

There seems to be something weird going on with restricting imports from some o/s online retailers.

With my edge 500 finally stopping communicating with my PC (it is over 6years old with the odometer on 56,878) I have spent some time researching what to replace it with. I settled on the Edge 520 as a worthy replacement/upgrade and set about finding the cheapest price.
Wiggle were $323 posted so that looked ok, locally they can be had for $340. Then I came across Evans who had them for $267 but would not ship to Australia. This annoyed me so I went about searching for better pricing, Bike 24 & Rose from Germany both had them for about $310 shipped. Halfords had them for about the same price as Evans but do not ship to Australia. Then I found them at Slane Cycles http://www.slanecycles.com/garmin-edge- ... 27235.html with a 5 pound subscription code and freight for $259.
Has anyone had any dealings with Slanes?

Cheers,
Mick

slowK

Re: Garmin Edge 520 pricing

Postby slowK » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:48 am

That's odd (and a pity) about Evans cycles. I bought a Garmin Forerunner running watch from Evans a few weeks ago with no hassle (and it was the best price by far that I could find, at least from a reputable shop).

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Slane are a northern Ireland bike shop who have been online for a number of years. I have had contact in the past and then communication stopped.

But as a retailer, they are a smaller player who compete on price and while not as slick as Wiggle / Chain Reaction Cycle in many ways, as an Australian customer they should be a reliable shop for you. Delivery will potentially take longer than with Wiggle / c r c but will certainly be faster than the German Bike24.
Cycling is in my BNA

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Chris is spot on. Slane are a small / boutique store but I found they did try harder than some of the biggies like Wiggle c r c Ribble etc.

The deal you linked looks legit to me so long as you know it's only for the head display , not the sensors or HR belt etc.

I have purchased from Slane Cycles in the past including a NOS Colnago C50 frameset which arrived promptly (circa 12 days) safely (original Colnago factory packaging) and was perfect in every way! The frameset was sold without it's matching and hard to find 28mm seatpost but Slane tossed in a NOS matching item into the bargain and helped me out to find a matching headset as I was cluless about bike building back then. I found their email communication fine - a good flow and every question politely answered with valid options put forward. I'd buy from Slane again without hesitation.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:46 am

I bought my 520 from Evans cycles about 5 weeks ago and was shipped here for a good price, far better than I could buy here.
Was browsing the other day and went to Evans on the link I used to buy that 520 and noted it said can't ship to Oz.
Checked other Garmin products there and found the same.
Something is indeed going on!

filipw

Postby filipw » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Was in the market for an Garmin 520, saw your post and that's indeed a good price. So i ordered my Garmin edge 520 from Slane. Will keep you updated.

caveboy

Postby caveboy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Was interested in updating to a 520 , currently have a 510, very happy with it so far

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:I bought my 520 from Evans cycles about 5 weeks ago and was shipped here for a good price, far better than I could buy here.
Was browsing the other day and went to Evans on the link I used to buy that 520 and noted it said can't ship to Oz.
Checked other Garmin products there and found the same.
Something is indeed going on!
Garmin Australia almost certainly monitor this forum and would have contacted headquarters to pressure Evans to stop supplying buyers in Australia. I wouldn't be surprised if Slane Cycles soon stop shipping Garmin products to Australia.

filipw

Postby filipw » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:53 am

filipw wrote:Was in the market for an Garmin 520, saw your post and that's indeed a good price. So i ordered my Garmin edge 520 from Slane. Will keep you updated.
ok, ordered from Slane 22/11 the Garmin Edge 520, arrived today 2/12, not bad at all.
Very good price for the Garmin Edge 520 - even with postage.