Please recommend me some BB7 pads

rifraf

Please recommend me some BB7 pads

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi,
I'd like to grab some spare pads to take on my next tour after reading Aushikers troubles on the Munda Biddi.
I've just cracked the 1300km mark and dont want to be caught out.
I noticed my bike needed the pads adjusted once again today so I thought I better look into it.
I did try the forums search engine but BB7 was too small a request and adding brake pads got me too many pages with very varied results.
I did read of one forum member who loved their Alligator branded BB7 pads but when I had a look there was terms I was unfamiliar with like sintered and organic.
Further reading suggested organic less robust in wet conditions if I understood correctly.
I'm wanting something suitable for wet/dry conditions.
I did spot these but was unsure if they were BB7 compatable.
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/ALB ... avid-juicy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I"m happy to spend more if theres a good reason to as looking at the varies online stores these pads seem at the budget end.

Suggestions and help appreciated as I'm a little out of my depth with these being my first disk brakes. :)

PS. My brakes are mountain bike version Avid BB7 should it make any difference
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

thecaptn

Re: Please recommend me some BB7 pads

Postby thecaptn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:06 pm

I bought some authentic SRAM pads off ebay from Taiwan, 2 pair for cheap. They dont come with origional packaging or the replacement spring clips but the pads are ok and I just recycle the clips I've got. I dont remember what they cost but the 2 pair with delivery were about the same price as one pair from the UK retail.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/bi-more-AVID ... 784&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pete

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Pete.

I was hoping to get away by the 30th of April so hoping for a bit speedier postage than whats offered in that auction.

I hadnt considered Ebay so I'll have a closer squiz.

Are you able to tell me if the link to T7 I provided were the correct fitting pads?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 pm

As far as I know the pads for the MTB and road calipers are the same. These ones you're looking at look very similar but I cant see a reference to bb7 specifically. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on it or you could ask Torpedo 7 about them.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 pm

I'd imagine you'd get a few thousand k's out or a pair. Mine have done about the same k's as yours and they're like new.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 pm

The sintered Alligator Pads are what I use. They were just on sale again at $7.99 a pair. I am still on my current front set after 5,000km+!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 pm

queequeg wrote:The sintered Alligator Pads are what I use. They were just on sale again at $7.99 a pair. I am still on my current front set after 5,000km+!
Where did you get your's?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm

rifraf wrote:Thanks for the suggestion Pete.

I was hoping to get away by the 30th of April so hoping for a bit speedier postage than whats offered in that auction.

I hadnt considered Ebay so I'll have a closer squiz.

Are you able to tell me if the link to T7 I provided were the correct fitting pads?
yes, they are fine. I use the same ones on my BB7s

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm

thecaptn wrote:
queequeg wrote:The sintered Alligator Pads are what I use. They were just on sale again at $7.99 a pair. I am still on my current front set after 5,000km+!
Where did you get your's?
T7....they are $7.99 a pair until the 22nd of April!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:36 pm

queequeg wrote:
rifraf wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Queequeg :!:
I've not ordered from T7 before.
Whats the delivery time like :?:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:39 pm

rifraf wrote:
queequeg wrote:
rifraf wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Queequeg :!:
I've not ordered from T7 before.
Whats the delivery time like :?:
Usually within 7 days, but with it being Easter Long weekend, followed by Anzac Long Weekend, it might take a few extra days. For the pads they will just put them in a satchel. The postage is $9, so order a few pairs to offset the cost.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:52 pm

queequeg wrote: order a few pairs to offset the cost.
Great idea :idea:
Thanks heaps :!: