School me on roof racks

Calvin27

School me on roof racks

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi all,

I am after roof racks. Not the bit that holds the bike but the actual rack. I have a 2013 Honda civic hatch and tossing up between the Rhino and Prorack versions.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/fit-my-car/ ... n-02-12-on
or
http://www.prorack.com.au/wishlist

The prorack is a little more expensive, but I'm not sure how much of the whispbar is marketing. Also are all the bike attachments interchangeable. For example, I should be able to attach a thule bike carrier to either rack right?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

melbnut

Re: School me on roof racks

Postby melbnut » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Kuat

This = win
http://kuatracks.com/en/products/hitch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Dude, I don't have a tow bar.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

newy101

Postby newy101 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Looked at racks recently and no, not all bike holders will fit all roof racks. Basically have two categories:
1. The bike rack clamps around the outside of the roof bar (this could be square or aero)
2. The bike rack slides into a ridge through the centre of the roof bar.

Some roof racks do both.

Basically if you've already got a bike rack, check it fits first.

I've had square bars on my car before and >80-90kmph you really do notice they're there. I have Thule AeroWing (or something like that) and they're much quieter IMHO. Aero=good.

2nd link also doesn't work so sorry my comments are a bit more general.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 pm

I was in the same position as you earlier.
I never had roof racks before, and did a bit of research.

You should go and have a look at the different bars and attachments.
Some grab from the gutter, some might be able to use the existing anchor points on the roof of your car.
Once you decide how you want it to attach, that will narrow your choices.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Two things.

1. IGNORE EXPENSE. This can't be overstated. You cannot get a new roof rack for your car, unless you are running a car that is incredibly popular for roof rack use, that is cheap. 200-250 bucks. Bam. You really need something aero because you won't want to take it off either. Pain in the butt. You can't skimp on the mounts as well, I skimped with Aldi racks and they really aren't good enough for my use. They were 50 bucks each, but I'm putting a 6000 dollar bike on there, 150 bucks for a good mount is nothing really.

2. IGNORE TOW BALLS. Unless you're running a big big car like a Commode, a Ford Tweetybird or a Landcruiser, you are limited to 2 bikes on the back, maybe 3 if it's a bigger car like an Aurion. The overall package with towball install and rack isn't amy cheaper, and you have to reattach the bike rack every time.

Expect 750 bucks for 3 bikes? Maybe 2? It was frightfully expensive. I put racks on the Corolla, just cheap Aldi ones, and I've realised I am a HEAVY roof rack user, plus I am running road bikes and they are a bit more sensitive than MTBs. Alu/Carbon wheels, wide tyre tracks etc. Driving to race meetings fairly regularly in season - I can get to the race but not back in time or back safely.

TLDR? Read the caps.

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Stick with Rola, thule etc aero racks. Investigate your mount options and accessories before making the jump. Roof rack city ate pretty good with advice, better than somewhere like repco. Speaking of repco, 30% off this weekend for auto club members (eg NRMA)....

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Oh, and I use the delta hitch mounts for the front wheel. They're tough and can be padlocked closed. Rear wheel gets tied to the rear bar with a toe strap, no need for big long mounts etc. Delta mounts are about $30 each I think and can be bolted down to the rack or a ute tray or whatever you like, I love them.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:38 pm

I should add that I have a set of Prorack whispbars roof racks.

I bought them on sale at Supercheap Auto. I preferred these to anchor to existing mounting points, rather than clamp onto the sides of the roof.

The customer service experience was pretty good - mine was missing foam packing pieces inside which caused some whistling, so they sent me some to put in. Problem solved.
Still gently whistles at speed, but much less noticeable.

I have 2 Thule 591s attached to them. Not cheap, but seem to be the best - again, you can get them on sale.

One comment - I took it down the other day since we havent ridden for a while. The clamp spots have dented (slightly bruised/crushed?) the metal on the roof rack.
Not sure if this would be the same for other roof racks.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:43 pm

remove the bikes before you drive into your garage

baldy1975

Postby baldy1975 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:54 pm

We have just purchased a 2014 mazda 3 and struggling to fing racks bar the mazda version and wanting around $1000

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:26 am

Is it strictly for carrying bikes? If there's no intentions of using the racks for anything else, can I recommend seasuckers bike mounts as an alternative.

Have been using mine for some years and they work great.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:03 am

I've had rola racks for years. I kept with the same brand for two reasons. They were the first brand I got and I had bought a fork mount carrier to suit and they were also installed on another car we bought, so I didn't need to change. They are an aero profile and haven't really noticed much noise. Been happy with the fork mount option, sometimes it's a pain to remove the front wheel but I can live with it and I think they are a more stable mount.

Net that the aero bar profiles differ slightly between brands and purpose built mounts may not transfer between brands.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:36 am

baldy1975 wrote:We have just purchased a 2014 mazda 3 and struggling to fing racks bar the mazda version and wanting around $1000
I don't wanna sound like a shilling for roof rack city but the guys at my local one were pretty helpful and sorted me out very quickly and mine wasn't an off the shelf job either. I had a set of thule bars from a friends pajero and wanted to know if I could use parts to fit my jap import Nissan cube. They ordered me new (longer) bar pieces and a new "foot pack" and I was set. Saved me about half the cost of buying a brand new, complete set.

Another trick: my last car was another jap import, a station wagon with rails already on the roof. Since NOBODY could help me with the "right" set of racks, I just bought a used set that I knew would be too long and trimmed them down to suit. Cost me about $80 via fleabay.

There's not much "tech" in roof racks, don't give Mazda $1000!

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:37 am

NhiTrac wrote:Is it strictly for carrying bikes? If there's no intentions of using the racks for anything else, can I recommend seasuckers bike mounts as an alternative.

Seasuckers look like an awesome solution, albeit I'm not sure if I trust a suction cup...?

If this thing can prove to hold with strength, I'm going for it. Easy to install, remove etc. Only thing is I have to be 100% sure it will not fall off lol. Reaseraching away.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 am

baldy1975 wrote:We have just purchased a 2014 mazda 3 and struggling to fing racks bar the mazda version and wanting around $1000
The Mazda ones will be another companies rack with a Mazda sticker. The Mazda sticker shouldn't cost more than 50% of The price. Get your googling happening and you should be able to determine which brand they use. I know subaru use rola, and nissan has rhino from the factory.

Might also be a case of waiting a bit as it's a new model and the other companies mightn't have caught up yet. If you're in a big city you might be able to offer your car for 'the other company' to get a test fit for and get the design sorted, hopefully this might come with a discount for the rack.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:Is it strictly for carrying bikes? If there's no intentions of using the racks for anything else, can I recommend seasuckers bike mounts as an alternative.

Seasuckers look like an awesome solution, albeit I'm not sure if I trust a suction cup...?

If this thing can prove to hold with strength, I'm going for it. Easy to install, remove etc. Only thing is I have to be 100% sure it will not fall off lol. Reaseraching away.
I gotta be honest. I've lost count of how many times I've mounted my bike using them, but there's still always a bit of me that just wonders if I'll see my bike in my rear view mirror one day :lol:

The trick is to apply the suction cups to a clean and wet surface so just give the surface a quick wipe in the garage. I also keep a small bottle of water and rag in the car in event that I'm away from home but have never needed to use it.

Seasuckers Rally
Seasuckers Nascar
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:49 pm

I have a rear hatch / boot mounting version made by Allens and bought through Cell.
Hold three bikes. Have had threee bikes on it. Very easy to configure for our Subaru Forester, my VW Passat when I had it and my current BMW.

Was only $200 versus the $1700 for the roof racks for my beena that carries one bike only.

Just give the glass and the paint a good clea so that you avoid any rubbing under the straps and feet.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks to this thread I have just ordered a Seasucker Talon set from Pushys so I can carry my CAAD10 on my Toyota 86.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Just picked up a free boot/hatch mounted rack in perfect condition off the bulk rubbish collection. Already had one but I'm sure I can think of a use for a spare.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 am

Dave R32 wrote:Thanks to this thread I have just ordered a Seasucker Talon set from Pushys so I can carry my CAAD10 on my Toyota 86.

Cheers
Dave.
Yeah Once these bad boys arrive and prove their reliability I'm going to be eying a nice 350/370Z!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Seasucker Talon on my 86. Has been for a 10km test drive up to 80kmh.

Imagephoto 2(1) by DGE898, on Flickr

Purchased online from Pushys.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:36 pm

Looks surprisingly good!

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Looks like you clear the garage too!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:57 am

Calvin27 wrote:Looks like you clear the garage too!
Its super close Calvin, in fact too close to call and I dont want to try !

Cheers
Dave.