New bike purchase

rodneycc

Re: New bike purchase

Postby rodneycc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:03 pm

I can generally distinguish between the store and personalities within the store. My LBS is actually fairly shite to be honest. I'd maybe buy a kids bike there and a few accessories but nothing really else. I really like the servicing guy though (who laughs his head off every time I bring a new bike in to him for a quick check over). I've even said to him if he ever leaves and goes somewhere else or starts up his own business let me know because I want to move to stay with him...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Space Cadet

Postby Space Cadet » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:10 am

rodneycc wrote:Hey Space Cadet, Did you order a certain size? Or did you know what size you were after. How did that work? Or are they going to order a few sizes in and you are going to be fitted to one of them when the bikes come in. Its really, really important getting the size right on a road bike. It can really make or break it so ask those questions with your LBS if you haven't already and get the fitting exactly right and it will make all the difference to your enjoyment.
Thanks for that Rodney. I do realise how important the sizing is. The two recent shops I was in said I was a medium. There were no tape measures involved, just sitting on bikes, so I don't know if that's usual. I looked at a few web sites that asked for different measurements and I was a medium on all those. I am a fairly standard 5'10" so I'm sure medium will be the go.

The best we could do was talk about what I just mentioned over the phone and we settled on ordering a medium. I think the store is going to order their full allocation of this bike, but he said by the time they arrive they will all be allocated, so no chance of testing and measuring different sizes in store.
2015 Giant Defy Advance Pro 0

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Nice one, Space Cadet. Firstly, welcome. Secondly, Good buying! I like the look of the new Defy a lot and I can see one in my future. Hopefully not too soon, but in the next couple years.

What I would suggest... Do some research on a good bike fitter in your city / area.It might cost you a little upfront, but I think it is worth it. Book in. Borrow a bike from a friend, or even ask the bikeshop if you can loan an outgoing Defy (or similar) for a day, for when you are booked in.

Take said bike to the fitter and let him do his thing. He'll work out your optimal position based on your measurements and any pre-existing injuries etc. From this, he'll be able to tell you of some ranges or measurements of which you should try and achieve with the new bike - effectively narrowing down to the best sized bike for you. One that fits properly. The measurements will probably include top tube, seat tube and head tube length, your optimal stack and reach measurements etc. You'll soon figure out whether the Medium is the right size, whether you need to size up or down.

Some may not necessarily agree with me. Some would say that if the bike shop is good and reputable, they should be able to size you sufficiently. Only reason I suggest this is because I am on a Large frame (Giant) and have been riding it for about a year now. Went for a fit and told me that while we can get this frame to work (and I dont find it uncomfortable and we can fiddle with stem lengths and bar reach etc), the Medium Large probably would have been the better fit out of the box. But he did say that due to my height, if I walked into a bike shop then its fairly likely most would size me as a large. I tend to have a bit longer legs, than arms and my proportions would have suited the ML a little more.

Anyways, just a suggestion if you are ok with spending a little to make sure you get the right frame from day one, rather than find out another size would have been optimal and needing to play with the fit (stem etc) to get the bigger / smaller frame to fit.

Space Cadet

Postby Space Cadet » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks Dirty, lots of good info there for a newbie like me. I am into my LBS early next week, and they said I could ride their Defy bikes they have in store, so I'm looking forward to that.
2015 Giant Defy Advance Pro 0

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:16 pm

Yeah I think you should be right or around about the right mark with a Medium size. I'm 5'10 and a half (about 177cm) and I ride a medium Defy. It kind of depends on how long your arms and torso are but if you are the norm then sounds about right. If you feel a little squashed then you can always try a longer stem (even 1cm makes a difference sometimes) but hopefully should be right. One big word of warning is with dodgy knees always make sure your seat height is exactly right. You can really stuff your knees quite badly with the wrong seat height (and with the enthusiasm of a new bike pushing those knees to the limit could be disastrous). If your knees hurt - stop! The best and quickest seat height checker is foot straight down at 6'oclock, heal should touch the pedal (note heal and not mid foot as heal allows for the extra leg extension length i.e so seat is lower).

tron07

Postby tron07 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:41 pm

I read that when you are between size, its always safer to go for the smaller one as its easier to make the smaller one bigger and kinda impossible to make the bigger one smaller.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:12 pm

rodneycc wrote:Poor old bike salesman... You're kidding right! Some of them are no better than used car salesmen. Its usually the same sales game being played out. My heart just bleeds - not.
I know what you mean, every one has had a bad run in with a used car yard, right.

But I reckon we have a reply as factual as you can get from a man that works for a living in a busy bike store, is a cyclist, and a trusted forum member.
Not that I know duck personally but I find his info very truth full and valued advice.
I reckon if you don't allow a decent profit in a sale you won't have the service long. As a buyer we see dollars getting handed over and want good service.
As a seller they see every sale as money to pay bills, staff, some patronage of cycling clubs, maybe running a few weekend rides etc, and maybe advertising. Staff has to be top notch as well, or the good rider will not be a customer long.
I can't say much on the profit margins on the expensive bikes but I do know that with high end bikes come high end problems, very fussy customers, and possible constant tuning etc.

But the point of the thread is to make it known that if the bike in question is a sought after one, most likely with a waiting period for delivery, It would be a foolish LBS that went bottom dollar on them. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:32 am

Hey, I'm not having a go at Duck here. The guy is brilliant and helped me out with info on more occasions than I ever thought I'd need. It was more for the industry itself that really needs to pull its socks up and be more honest and helpful. The bad shops are giving the good shops a bad wrap. The last few I've walked into its running at about 50/50 good service vs bad service.

Also Ive learnt quite a bit I guess over the last 18 months to a point that I know more than the young guys in the shop and I wish they would just say "I don't know but will find out for you" rather than have a guess or lie.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:51 pm

There are so many bike shops over East, there really is no reason not to try before you buy. The Spesh i bought(in the end), had more time spent by that LBS than any of the other Giant, Pinerello, Willier, Colagno, Cervelo and Trek bikes i test rode. Strangely enough(or not) it felt most comfortable and was the one i bought.

However i have had a proper bike fit since then and that seemed to reveal i would have been better off on the next size frame up and now i have a longer stem and the seat as far back as it will go. So Dirtys comment above would seem to be vaild as far as i can see. Even if you borrowed a mates bike and used that, the bike fitter can record the sizes and give you a shopping list of requirements. BUT try and ride as many bikes as you can, as you might be surprised at the difference you feel, via the seat of your pants.