Cell Akuna 1.1 Vs Apollo Vispo 2013

Azee

Cell Akuna 1.1 Vs Apollo Vispo 2013

Postby Azee » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 pm

As the bike I want does not come in my "ideal" size I may need to look at other options.

Can someone tell me out of the following two bikes which is the better one:

http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Akuna-1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or

http://99bikes.com.au/apollo-vispo-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndrewCowley

Re: Cell Akuna 1.1 Vs Apollo Vispo 2013

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:59 pm

The Cell Akuna 1.1 is a more complete 105 groupset with the only non 105 component being the rear cassette. Decent wheels too at that price. Looks like the better to me. I'd be wary of the 25 tooth rear cassette however. Could be hard going unless you are experienced.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:11 am

Read my review: http://www.bicycles.net.au/2014/06/cell ... ke-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buy the akuna. Tell them I sent you.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:22 am

I have the 2013 Vispo, bought one on the way to look at the Akuna....

Overall very happy with it. It's not particularly light (just under 10kg in Large), but a new wheelset and tyres could easily take 1kg out of it. Hopefully the weight means it's a bit more robust than a superlight job. Someone who knows more about bikes than I do said Apollos are very reliable (take that for what it's worth)...

The geometry is somewhat more aggressive than the Akuna (eg 180 vs 205mm head tube, shorter chainstays) so that may influence your decision one way or the other.

This bike has the exact same frame as this: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBVIFIESCH ... -road-bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so it's good to know it's a frame worthy of putting on something much more expensive...

Things I like:
* Great ride. OK, it's my first and only carbon bike, so how it compares to others I don't know, but it does ride smoothly and compared to my alloy commuter on fatter tyres; it definitely takes the edge off bumps and road imperfections.
* full carbon fork. How it actually performs compared to the Akuna's alloy-steerer fork I can't say, but it's a nice-to-know.
* Colour scheme. Not the generic black/red/blue/white.
* Braze-on front derailleur - just because it looks neater, though the bracket is riveted on
* small detail - the rear brake cable enters on the right of the head tube. This makes the rear brake cable follow a nice smooth arc from the left lever.
* 30mm deep rims (about the only nice thing I can say about the wheels)

Things that could be better (though are there because it's built to a cost):
* Non-series components (eg the cranks and brakes). Not a big deal, though the standard brake pads are average. I very quickly upgraded to Ultegra cartridge pads.
* Down spec'd components eg the front derailleur. Only really matters if you care about a few grams and having matching labels on all the components.
* Heavy wheels, lots of spokes (28/32), average rear bearings (spin down quickly; the front wheel spins well though). The wheels compete with tyres and cassette are 3.4 kg. I can't find any info about the Alex DA30 rims online. With that many spokes at least they should be robust though!!
* Slippery saddle. Not bad per se, but I prefer a bit more grip. Shape is otherwise close to the Charge Spoon on my commuter (the saddle is also made by Velo, like the Spoon)
* incremented saddle tilt adjustment. Might be tricky to dial in the exact tilt you want.
* Tyres - cheap, wire bead, no real puncture protection, not light (~330g). But easy to change.

I guess that sounds like a decent list of negatives, but they're really nitpicking. Changing the wheelset, brake pads and saddle would resolve most of the complaints, and are they sort of changes many people make anyway to personalise their bikes or would be replaced after wearing anyway. After that you're left with a good looking, good riding, hopefully solid and reliable ride.

But I don't think you can go wrong with either.

applio

Postby applio » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:59 pm

There are coupe of hundred different in price for between Akuna and Apollo bike, if for 1999 price range, I would go for the cell omeo 1.0 , as I got both Akuna and omeo bike, I say that Akuna make me ride longer distance and omeo ride much faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:11 pm

applio wrote:There are coupe of hundred different in price for between Akuna and Apollo bike, if for 1999 price range, I would go for the cell omeo 1.0 , as I got both Akuna and omeo bike, I say that Akuna make me ride longer distance and omeo ride much faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is less than $100 between them, and neither are within $700 of $1999... :roll: