Best Road Hubs

harmonix1234

Best Road Hubs

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:51 pm

I have destroyed two Ultegra 6700 free hubs since March. Both within a few weeks of installing.
The pawls are breaking and rattling around in the free hub so I'm just getting around one one or two pawls.
Same thing happened to my deore and XT hubs on the mountain bike.

What's a good reliable hub that I can absolutely stomp on?
CK r45? DT Swiss 240's? Hope? White industries? Dura Ace?
So many options and reviews.

Will be for 32 spoke wheels in a teaditional 3X lacing pattern and I'm not fussed about weight. I just want be able to push down as hard as I want and not have the free hub collapse on me.

Any help much appreciated.

CXCommuter

Re: Best Road Hubs

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Chris King, Hope, WI would be my bet.

Heard of issues with the 240's (freehubs). Nothng wrong with Dura-Ace either but why continue with Shimano when you keep breaking them.

The three brands above all have excellent records AFAIK for quality and longevity. I couldn't afford the CK hubs for my own wheels and I cannot split the Hope or WI based on my research. I went with Hope primarily due to cost (found them on sale) but wouldn't care either way.

There are other hubs out there like Royce but price and availability?

BTW what the hell are you doing to these shimano freehubs- it took me well over ten years and three rear rims to finally kill a 9 speed LX freehub and I am hard on wheels!!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:51 pm

I'd scratch Hope off the list. I purchased a rear hub 142mm and it turned out to be 142.8mm not a happy chappy am I. Actually had a customer the other day who is an ex bike shop owner from a very renown shop here and they dropped Hope and went WI due to lousy support. I've had better support from c r c than hope regarding my issue.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:39 am

Hope are loud.... Not necessarily a bad thing but something to be aware of

harmonix1234

Best Road Hubs

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks guys. I might check out the CK ones.
I am breaking them when I take off at the lights.
I often track stand at the red light, and when it goes green I stomp down hard through the next two gears to I can keep speed with traffic and claim the lane.
I used my MTB for commuting too and this is how I break them.
It's always just as the light goes green, I stomp down hard and hear this sound like someone throwing a broken chainsaw on the concrete followed by my cranks spinning about a third of a revolution before engaging.
Right then, that's when I know I've blown up my hub.

Maybe I just have to stop doing that...?

RonK

Best Road Hubs

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:28 am

CXCommuter wrote:Chris King, Hope, WI would be my bet.
How could you leave out Phil Wood?

Chris King is well-known for headsets but Phil is the "king" of hub makers.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:10 pm

I'll second the caution re Hope Hubs. My new rear Mono RS hub felt quite notchy; my bike mechanic suggested they were a little heavy handed installing the bearings during manufacture. I have White Industries hubs on another bike and they are sweet. Spin forever. Can't advise re longevity yet as only a couple of thousand ks on each, and I certainly don't accelerate hard enough to snap pawls :shock:

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:24 pm

WI & Alchemy.

love_that_flow

Postby love_that_flow » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Save your hard earned and go Novatec.

harmonix1234

Best Road Hubs

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks guys, will check them out.
Have heard of Phil Wood.
I once let a bike tourer from the Isle of Man camp in my garage for a bit and he had Phil Wood hubs. Was his third time around the globe on the same hubs so they must be alright. Never heard of them before that.
Are they quick engaging hubs when you start to pedal?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:00 pm

I've been using Hope hubs of various types for over 15 years, never had a problem or getting a part (cassette body) when I wanted...

I've seen CK, P Wood etc all fail at some point or another...nothing is full proof.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:36 pm

If you're destroying Ultegra freehubs it's likely the same thing will happen with WI, Phil Wood, CK, etc. hubs. Perhaps stop the track stands and stomping?

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:46 pm

harmonix1234 wrote:The pawls are breaking and rattling around in the free hub so I'm just getting around one one or two pawls.
If this is so then it's a case of too much power applied to too little a contact area.

You either need to back off the power (don't wanna.... I understand) or look at a freehub system that offers a stronger contact area to deal with uber torque. Hence, my suggestion would be DT Swiss - the freehubs have a twin ratchet ring system with perhaps a dozen or more times the contact area of a conventional tri-pawl freehub body.......
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Well in regards to the Hope hubs, be prepared to do a full rebuild if you get the hub. What I've found is a poor installation on my Hope Pro Evo 2. Yep I've stripped it down today and found the cause, Axle bearing being restrictive due to not being installed 100% accurately.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:43 pm

I would suggest you need to look at changing your technique....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks Duck haha I reckon you're right. Or just get a fixed wheel commuter with 48 spoked rear wheel :) gonna stop the track standing/sprint on green and just take it easier.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:41 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well in regards to the Hope hubs, be prepared to do a full rebuild if you get the hub. What I've found is a poor installation on my Hope Pro Evo 2. Yep I've stripped it down today and found the cause, Axle bearing being restrictive due to not being installed 100% accurately.
I'm nervous already....I just laced up my new wheel tonight.

I do have a full set of replacement bearings though, as well as all the tools to swap them out.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Wingnut

Best Road Hubs

Postby Wingnut » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:52 am

Baalzamon wrote:Well in regards to the Hope hubs, be prepared to do a full rebuild if you get the hub. What I've found is a poor installation on my Hope Pro Evo 2. Yep I've stripped it down today and found the cause, Axle bearing being restrictive due to not being installed 100% accurately.
I strongly disagree with that generalisation...

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:02 am

Wingnut wrote:
I only have 500-600km on my Hope Mono RS but they have been awesome- they are a little tight on the seals but getting better, they form a good solid wheelset and sound awesome. Interesting regarding the lack of local support claims- one reason I went with the Hopes was the LBS who built the wheel has a good relationship with the distributor whereas had issues with WI.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:35 am

Wingnut wrote:
Bashing in bearings as hope does is the reason I'm saying that. I'm now making a cheap DIY bearing press to install the bearings. Threaded rod n spacers with 2 nuts will beat a hammer tapping in a bearing which may go in slightly off

Diabolus

Postby Diabolus » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:45 am

harmonix1234 wrote:What's a good reliable hub that I can absolutely stomp on? Will be for 32 spoke wheels in a traditional 3X lacing pattern and I'm not fussed about weight. I just want be able to push down as hard as I want and not have the free hub collapse on me.
Campagnolo Record.

Cheaper than White Industries. Cheaper than Chris King. Cheaper than DT240. Better than all of them.

However, for quick engagement, get a DT240 with the 36T ratchet option.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Rather than criticise other forum users, let me just say " thank you" to jacks1071 for the information.
Andrew

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Wow! They look awesome!!!

battler2

Postby battler2 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:49 am

what about industry nine hubs?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:58 pm

For disclosure, you probably know that I sell Pro-Lite gear so wont share specific details about the gear unless specifically asked, but what I would recommend is a 6-pawl freehub made from steel.

Nearly every road wheel uses a pretty similar 3-pawl freehub design, if you are breaking freehubs in that design from Shimano, then the same design as someone mentions above made by a different manufacturer is unlikely to provide any significant improvement.

We've tested an alloy 6-pawl freehub with one of the strongest tandem teams in Australia and it was very good but ultimately failed as the pawls were slammed back into the freehub ovaling out the holes where they sit. However, they lasted much longer than a 3-pawl freehub.

This is an issue you can resolve by using a similar design but manufacturing the freehub from steel, like this:

What you're doing here is spreading the load over a greater area and you're reducing the free play from disengaged to engaged. That freeplay we believe is where people damage the freehubs and I guess you could liken it to dropping the clutch in your car.

Unless you are riding a tandem, or you're a very strong sprinter doing standing starts then this would be considered overkill. That being said sometimes it is nice to use parts over-engineered for your requirements. You also get a lot more clicky noises that some people enjoy :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"