When do 2015 model run outs start?

athman

When do 2015 model run outs start?

Postby athman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:10 pm

I need a new bike. I just took up masters racing again after 6 yr break. My bike fitter told me I need a more 'relaxed' geometry because I have back issues. Also, I'm getting old. I was aiming for a spec similar to the ultegra-level Giant TCR that I currently ride. There's a Trek Domane 5.1 that looks like a good fit but its 4 grand. I wanted to spend around 3 grand, because I'm cheap, and I'm old. So the bike shop guy said that the 2015/16 model change over will start happening in the next few months. If so, I should maybe wait for an end of model deal on a 2015 bike. Is that true? Silly me, I thought that 2016 bikes would be sold in 2016 and, at this time of year, I would have just missed all the 2014 model run outs.

Duck!
Expert

Re: When do 2015 model run outs start?

Postby Duck! » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Around August-September is typically when new season models are launched. It will vary between manufacturers/distributors a little bit though.

Be careful with your choice of bike if you intend racing - many "endurance" bikes such as the Domane, Giant's Defy series, Specialized Roubaix etc are coming fitted with disc brakes, and these are not legal for any form of road racing yet. They're being allowed for trial at World Tour level from later this year, but open use will still not be permitted for sometime, pending findings from the trial period.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

athman

Re: When do 2015 model run outs start?

Postby athman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks Duck, yes I thought it would be later in the year. I think I'll just buy something now, can't wait that long.
It ok about the disk brakes, I knew the rule for racing, and I can't really see the need for disks anyway. That ruled out the Giant Defy. The others mostly come with a choice of brakes.