Which Chain Tool?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Which Chain Tool?

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 01, 2016 7:49 pm

I'm tired of pins that seem to be made out of cheese.
Open to all suggestions tho' compatibility with 8-11 speed chains would be nice.

Thanks
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

biker jk

Re: Which Chain Tool?

Postby biker jk » Sun May 01, 2016 7:54 pm

I have a Shimano TL-CN27. While it says compatible with 7-10 speed, I've used it on 11-speed chains without problem. The new version is CN28. I've been using it for at least five years and it's been excellent.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun May 01, 2016 8:04 pm

Park Tools CT-3.2

Not cheap, around $40.00 but bigger and beefier than the typical tool pouch type.
Does what it's meant to without effort.
Replacement pins are available. Mine came with a spare.
Works on all bike chains apparently.

Edit. A few none-too-good reviews on Chain Reaction but I think they're from nuff nuffs. I've never bent a pin and used it for setting Shimano joining pins, no problems.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun May 01, 2016 8:17 pm

I find the Park pins wear down fairly rapidly. I use one at work for 1-8 sp. chains. The cradle is just a tad too wide to comfortably use on 9-11 sp. (unless they've changed it to suit). My main workshop breaker is a Shimano CN32, similar to the 27 referred to above but with nice wooden handles. The pins break eventually rather than wear down, but last a shedload longer than the Park. A spare is supplied, plus they're available separately. It does not fit single-speed chains.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Tim wrote:Park Tools CT-3.2

Now that looks interesting. Google seems to concur. Chain Reactions reviews are never my first point for info :wink:

Happy with dropping $40 if I'm getting value.
Duck! wrote:I find the Park pins wear down fairly rapidly. I use one at work for 1-8 sp. chains. The cradle is just a tad too wide to comfortably use on 9-11 sp. (unless they've changed it to suit). My main workshop breaker is a Shimano CN32, similar to the 27 referred to above but with nice wooden handles. The pins break eventually rather than wear down, but last a shedload longer than the Park. A spare is supplied, plus they're available separately. It does not fit single-speed chains.
Thanks Duck, Very nice looking pro unit but looks to be hard to find and I doubt the amount of work I do would justify the cost of the CN32.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 pm

The one in my Topeak trail multi-tool is great.

I have a SuperB one as well that came with my tool set from Torpedo7 nine or so years ago, but the pin in that is not exactly confidence inspiring - I have bent it ever so slightly, I still use it, but I am careful not to muscle on it too hard, and keep the pin on the driver centered on the pin and perpendicular.

But then, it only gets used a few times a year.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:11 am

The Park Tools chain tool pictured above is a cracker - dunno why I waited so long to buy one.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

tron07

Postby tron07 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:34 pm

Slightly off topic, but what is the best way to get a pin back inside? Use back the chain tool?
I have few cheap tool, I think one should be from Aldi, find it very difficult to get it back inside.

Did something like this guy, and he seems to have lot of trouble to get it back in as well.

https://vimeo.com/2574708

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 02, 2016 3:21 pm

First thing to note is that not all chains are suitable for pushing pins back in. 1- to 6-sp. chains are OK, 9+ definitely not, 7/8-sp. check your model, some are OK, some are not! If there are any ridges around the ends of the pin, it cannot be reinserted as it will damage the link plates on the way through.

Once you've determined if it's OK to reuse the pin, the key is to not push it all the way out; leave it seated in the outer plate, preferably protruding slightly inward to help align the other chain end. Take particular care to ensure the chain remains squarely seated in the cradle on the tool, and that the receiving outer plate is firmly supported by the back of the tool, otherwise it'll blow the plate out & you won't get a secure join.

hedgehog

Postby hedgehog » Mon May 02, 2016 4:17 pm

i use an ugly looking avenir(maybe, not really sure) chain tool bought it 11 years ago.
mostly used on 7 speed chains only once i used it on a 9 speed.
used over 30 times,still works fine.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon May 02, 2016 4:54 pm

In the last few years Ive been using the LifeLine branded chain breaker, i think $10 from Wiggle.

Ive used from single speed chains to 10 speed with no issues, Ive gone through two of them with both times failing at the chain guide spot (circled below)

Im now using another cheapie that i bought in desperation from a LBS one time, forgot the brand, i think bikehand?

Has served me well in the last 18 months, again using from single speed to 10 speed chains with no issues.

Hand grip is a little small.

hedgehog

Postby hedgehog » Mon May 02, 2016 5:05 pm

yep my chain tool looks exactly like the the 2nd one in jaseyjase images.
but it did not come with the black attachment on the end.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 02, 2016 7:15 pm

jaseyjase wrote:Im now using another cheapie that i bought in desperation from a LBS one time, forgot the brand, i think bikehand?

Has served me well in the last 18 months, again using from single speed to 10 speed chains with no issues.

My personal one is one of these, does the job pretty well for a cheapie. The adjustable back support (the dark knob on the left) is a good feature which allows the tool to be used with different width chains with good bracing when pushing the pin through.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 02, 2016 8:11 pm

jaseyjase wrote:In the last few years Ive been using the LifeLine branded chain breaker, i think $10 from Wiggle.

Ive used from single speed chains to 10 speed with no issues, Ive gone through two of them with both times failing at the chain guide spot (circled below)

Im now using another cheapie that i bought in desperation from a LBS one time, forgot the brand, i think bikehand?

Coincidentally, that's the last two to let me down. LBS with a bent pin and Lifeline at the shelf.
London Boy 29/12/2011