Polygon or something else?

Arbuckle23

Polygon or something else?

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi

Been lurking here for a bit but now its time to ask a question.
Been riding a cheap hybrid around to build a bit of fitness and lose weight. Going well but feel its now time to spread my wings away from the local bike tracks and move up to a road bike.
Be old and bit tight with spending too much money when there is no need, I have been looking at Polygon bikes, in particular the Helios C6.0.

Not much to be found about them on the net so seeking some collective wisdom from the forum.
Anything bad about them?
Is there better value for the money with a full 105/5800 ?
Any other suggestions?

As above, older bloke in my late 50's. Well over weight, but getting that down now ( 12 kg gone this year).
Looking to do more than just fitness riding in the future.

GAV!N

Re: Polygon or something else?

Postby GAV!N » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:38 pm

There's been a few threads on this already so I'll keep it short. I had one and thought it was fantastic value for money, and bicycles online were really good to deal with. Will certainly consider them again when it's time to upgrade.

"Is there better value for the money with a full 105/5800 ?" - Pretty hard to find better value in my opinion, unless you find a secondhand option.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:56 pm

I can confirm that Polygon are a trustworthy brand - they have a Sydney retail outlet and otherwise nationally through bicyclesonline.

Michael in South Australia reviewed their Polygon Helix 6.0 on BNA and while it will have a different spec, will give you an overview of the brand and experience.

There are other retailers such as Cell and Reid who are in the 'affordable' price segment, otherwise for other brands it is about their deals or sales.
Cycling is in my BNA

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:40 am

Thanks

That review doesnt fill me with full confidence. Seemed to be a couple of things that don't appear to have changed based on site photos. Cable positioning and handlebars for instance.
Last edited by Arbuckle23 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:27 am

It's $300 more but the Cell Omeo 1.0 is a pretty stonking deal. Full Ultegra running gear and a nicer level of finishing kit then the Polygon. However the frame is a more aggressive geometry then the Polygon so it may not be a comfortable ride. If you are happy riding an alloy frame, for the same cost as the Polygon you'd easily get some of the bigger brand name bikes in a 105 spec, such as a Giant Defy 1, or a Cannondale Synapse and they'd be tricked out with disc brakes which might be of preference. Bike Exchange is a good place to look for deals.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:That review doesnt fill me with full confidence. Seemed to be a couple of things that don't appear to have changed based on site photos. Cable positioning and handlebars for instance.
A trend of bike companies is to step back from having to release completely new bikes every year, so I wouldn't be too concerned about not seeing a lot of changes. Also, a model may become cheaper overtime and as new models introduced, this one then moves down the scale.

While I wasn't the reviewer - having visited the bicyclesonline retail store a few times and looked through their range, I feel the review is spot-on to represent the brand very well.

However - you need to be happy with your purchase, irrespective of your price range so keep looking.
Cycling is in my BNA

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:30 pm

AUbicycles wrote: A trend of bike companies is to step back from having to release completely new bikes every year, so I wouldn't be too concerned about not seeing a lot of changes. Also, a model may become cheaper overtime and as new models introduced, this one then moves down the scale.
It's not a new trend at all; for many years the manufacturers have produced any given frame over a two to four year run, with often little more than a change in paint job to differentiate each year's "model". Likewise the component manufacturers have four or five year runs on their products, so it's not all that frequent to get a completely new bike.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:25 pm

Snuck out and went to Reid today. The have no medium Falco Elites in stock and reading between the lines, what they have is it.
The newer Reid Vantages. I wasn't that keen on.
While I was out I also visited 99bikes and checked out the Merida Ride 4000. I realise that is not a full 105 groupset, but that took my fancy a little.

The Cell Omeo might be a little racy and require too much bending for a haggard old man I feel. But that is just reading reviews, is their geometry more race than endurance?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:26 pm

Hiya,

I'm the reviewer of the Polygon, and happy to answer any questions you may have re the article that I wrote.

My experience was nothing but positive with the Polygon

Michael

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks Michael

I was concerned reading about the cable entry point into the frame and possible extra length hitting your knees.
One point, based on the website photos and your review was the handle bars. I would prefer a bar with a shallower drop I think.
Checking some bikes out in some shops has confirmed this to me. I really am not keen on needing to change handlebars straight away.

As I already posted above, I checked the Merida Ride 4000 out today and didn't mind it. I know its not full 105, but the price is similar from 99Bikes.

I am torn now. Are the cables really a problem? I suppose I could buy another handlebar if I didn't like it that much (painful having to learn how to do that though :))

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:28 pm

In a nutshell, not really. It was only a partial issue when standing for climbing.

The bars are personal preference.

At the end of the day I did the 160km TdU ride without a problem on it and lived to tell the tale.

I rode the bike quite a bit and had no issues, so you need to take my feedback in context.

Cheers

Michael B

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:51 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:The Cell Omeo might be a little racy and require too much bending for a haggard old man I feel. But that is just reading reviews, is their geometry more race than endurance?
The short answer is yes, it boils down to a horizontal top tube rather than a sloping one, a short headtube and a slightly shorter wheelbase for snappier handling. However just because you have a horizontal top tube doesn't mean you have to have a head down bum up aspect, that's more a product of frame size. Keep the saddle level with the bars on any frame and you should feel pretty comfortable.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Duck! wrote:It's not a new trend at all
Avanti publicly announced it last year or the year before and I think it means consciously stepping away from releasing a new bike each year, the underlying purpose to try and guide the market to step away from that approach.

That said, I am with you on the release of bikes - identical frame with new decals and potentially different spec to have a desireable new season bike.
Cycling is in my BNA

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote: The Cell Omeo might be a little racy and require too much bending for a haggard old man I feel. But that is just reading reviews, is their geometry more race than endurance?
I have an Omeo 2 (same frame, just with Ultegra DI2 and perhaps different wheels)

For reference I was 49 yo, 182 cm and 110 kg when I started on the Cell 3 years ago (got down to 94 kg but crept back up to 99 now).
Yes the geometry is more aggressive, but as I spend 90% of the time riding on the hoods its never worried me overly (and I am by no means flexible). I have done quite a few 100km+ rides (including 160 km Lake Taupo) and 2 Rapha Festive 500's and its always my legs and fatigue that get my, not a problem with comfort.

My previous bike was a Giant Defy, and after 2 weeks on the cell I tool the Giant for a spin prior to selling it. I found the Giant somehow not quite right (despite having done several thousand k's on it previously). Its hard to explain but it felt like that I was riding the Omeo, but riding "on" the Giant

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks for the input from all.
Have bought it down to the Polygon C6.0 or the Merida Ride 4000 I think.
Both seem to have pros and cons.
Decisions, decisions.

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Cayo 105 will be in that price bracket at this time of year. Far better frame (only difference between it and the AG2R team cayo's is the fork).

Same gear as the Merida (RS500 crank).

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:44 pm

I looked at the Cayo's around, but no compact crankset for an old bloke like me put me off.
Need to add, the Ride 4000 has 32 on the back compared to 28 on the Polygon as well, which sees me favour it now.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:16 pm

Good bikes the Merida's. A lot of bang for your buck like the Polygon but with a bit more finish like the Giants. If you like that one I'd maybe lean that way....
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:31 am

One more thing to ask. Got distracted by the pretty Giant photos and then went looking at the Giant pricing, the Defy Advanced 2 with 105 and mechanical discs sneaks in the price range.

I am a bit wary on the mechanical discs though. Having been riding my Hybrid with hydraulic discs for a year, would I be disappointed with the mechanical and wish I had just gone rim brakes? Hydraulic discs in road bikes seem to expensive for my budget.

Sorry i know I have moved from my original question, but I like to research before I buy. Searching here seems a bit difficult to find any answers :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:14 am

Mechanical disc brakes have improved significantly over the years and a broad generalisation is that you get what you pay for.

At the top end the road bikes use hydraulic - I can't provide any tangible feedback as I have only ridden mechanical (cable-pull) disc brakes a few times on a MTB and have more experience riding hydraulic on road and MTB.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:27 pm

I have ridden a variety of discs in mechanical & hydraulic form.

The mechs were BB7 on my first disc roadie and then the Shimano ones on the Polygon. I was prepared for he shimano cable ones on the Polygon to be quite a deal worse than the hydro shims I that I had on my own bike, but was really surprised.

They did do well, although the adjustment on the Shimano cable discs were a bit naff, but still worked out ok.

Hydro though are better, but if the budget doesn't stretch, they are still a much better option than rim brakes in my experience.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:17 pm

The main issues with mechanical discs vs hydraulics are the inherent cable friction takes away some of the smoothness of application and makes the fingers work harder, and they need more periodic adjustment to correct for cable stretch and pad wear, whereas hydros are self-adjusting as the pads wear.
Last edited by Duck! on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks, much what I was thinking with the mechanicals. I do like the hydraulic discs on my hybrid, they work well.
The missus is the one who will complain about stretching the budget, although I sold one of my old cars today, that should help with funds :)
Am going to check out some Giants tomorrow. If I fall in love with a Defy Advanced Pro divorce may be coming :wink:

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:00 pm

Well I did do something. Not what was original intention though.

See viewtopic.php?f=9&p=1361853#p1361853

Decided to start there and move up if I commit to riding enough.