DING bike lights

thomashouseman

DING bike lights

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Did anyone else sign up to this kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/di ... ike-lights

I just got the latest update advising they've started shipping.

I'm quite curious as to how well they work/turn out.

Stay tuned!

T.

Ross

Re: DING bike lights

Postby Ross » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:24 pm

400 lumens isn't particularly bright. More of a "be seen" light than a "see with" light.

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:31 pm

400 was an early target, one of their updates says testing got to 800 which should be plenty.

Waiting eagerly for mine to turn up!!

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:42 pm

So mine arrived today.

Tin was a little dented but it all popped back. Kept the contents safe though which I guess is the main thing.

First impressions are that it's a pretty nifty little product. I did think it would be slightly larger but that's not really a concern.

It feels/looks like it may be a solid dependable product. Definitely doesn't feel like cheap rubbish. We'll see how it performs...

Stay tuned....

T.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:34 am

Photos... or it didn't happen. Also expect a verdict with first impression and experience after a few rides.
Cycling is in my BNA

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 am

AUbicycles wrote:Photos... or it didn't happen. Also expect a verdict with first impression and experience after a few rides.
Yes Boss. Stay tuned.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Here's some pics. On the keyboard for scale.

The underlight:

It turned on:

Haven't used it on the road yet. Stay tuned....

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Awesome... but you know that only bananas can be used for scale.

Really keen to hear your thoughts on the downlight.
Cycling is in my BNA

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:25 pm

Here's some more pics....

Ayup's on top, ding to the left.

Underlight off:

Underlight on:

My biggest issue so far is deciding what to call the bottom light, an underlight, a downlight, a bottom light, a blight? :D

T.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:23 am

Ok, first on-bike review.

On first impression, it's a bit like driving with fog lights on. If you've ever driven a car with those very close to the ground fog lights that light up the surrounds of the vehicle, it's a bit like that. It certainly made me feel more visible.

I turned off the Ayups and rode with just the Ding and it was very do-able. I wouldn't be doing daytime speeds with just the Ding light though. I'd probably keep it sub 30km/h. In combination with the Ayup's and a cheap $25 Chinese 18650 battery type light it was like daytime. I pitied oncoming traffic - muahahaha!

Ok, it was 4:45am, there was no oncoming traffic.

I think this is a good addition to my light stable and it will stay on the bike. I especially like how it hangs UNDER the bar and not above. It also doesn't wobble on it's adjustment like the cheap Chinese light does. It stayed pointed where it was set.

The switch was pressable with full finger gloves on once I found it. The button wasn't tactile through the glove, you had to know where it was.

Anyway,

That's my review. I hope it helps someone.

T.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:54 am

I noticed you can mount this light on your stem but it seems that you lose the ability to tilt it up/down in this orientation (i.e. its fixed at the angle your stem is at)... is this the case?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:02 am

What is the beam pattern like for the front light? It is a smooth or has a distinct middle point (hot spot). Any comments on the spread, distance and also whether you feel that the light is design not to blind oncoming traffic.
Cycling is in my BNA

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:11 am

AUbicycles wrote:What is the beam pattern like for the front light? It is a smooth or has a distinct middle point (hot spot). Any comments on the spread, distance and also whether you feel that the light is design not to blind oncoming traffic.
I think it's a bit of both. There's two lenses for the front light with different patterning/etching/molding and I think they do one each. It's quite similar to my Ayups pattern which I designed upon order of one spread and one spot. Except of course you can't individually aim them on the Ding. Not sure about dazzling traffic. I didn't notice any possums though so I don't think it's excessively shining upwards. I'll try to have another look / ride in the dark over the weekend and let you know.

T.

caneye

Postby caneye » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:07 pm

my thoughts .. initial impressions (comparing it to my cygolite 720). the case is made of strong tough composite. rubber strap has a unique clamp design. switch is a little small but is lighted up when turned on.

size
- Ding is bulky but lighter (than the cygolite). the 720 is itself already a very beefy light.

light
- cut-out at bottom of lens to increase the light spread under the bike
- little shield just above the 2 lights (to control glare for oncoming traffic)
- quite a good spread, much more than the Cygolite (there's also a focused brighter centre)
- however, the throw is not as good as the Cygolite (when comparing Ding at its brightest mode (AT) 750 lumens vs Cygolite in medium mode i.e less than 720 lumens).

- when in "TO SEE" mode - it is bright enough to be used as a single TO-SEE light source even in pitch dark M2 road shoulder without street lights. however, the downlight *cannot* switched on when operating in any of the "TO SEE" mode. very surprised and disappointed.
- when in "BE SEEN" mode - it has 6 different flashing and pulsing modes. you can use this together with the down-light. the down-light is very bright. but clearly, in this mode, the DING will be the secondary light to be used in conjunction with another primary "TO SEE" light source. i was hoping it would be a all-in-one-light instead of mounting multiple lights on my already-busy handle bar.

just an observation
- prior to using the Ding, when riding at night, if/when I see light under my bike, i immediately know that there's a car approaching from the rear. however, using the Ding, i no longer have this additional "information". the DING's down light masks this "information". but the downlight does offer other benefits - illuminating the road/surface around your better (though the benefit is probably negated when riding at speeds 25kmh and above), and makes you more visible especially when approaching a suburban intersection or roundabout.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:51 pm

caneye wrote: - when in "TO SEE" mode - it is bright enough to be used as a single TO-SEE light source even in pitch dark M2 road shoulder without street lights. however, the downlight *cannot* switched on when operating in any of the "TO SEE" mode. very surprised and disappointed.
- when in "BE SEEN" mode - it has 6 different flashing and pulsing modes. you can use this together with the down-light. the down-light is very bright. but clearly, in this mode, the DING will be the secondary light to be used in conjunction with another primary "TO SEE" light source. i was hoping it would be a all-in-one-light instead of mounting multiple lights on my already-busy handle bar.
What do you mean by this?

The downlight and the front light are both on full power on the fourth press of the button when cycling them.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:44 pm

thomashouseman wrote:*

What do you mean by this?

The downlight and the front light are both on full power on the fourth press of the button when cycling them.

I stand corrected. you are right. after cycling through the modes very quickly, i can see that both modes (1st & 4th) are on full-power and I am able to use the downlight when in full power.

1 additional comment - i wish the position of the strap was further to the *front* of the light. with the current design, the brake & shifter cables of my flat-bar keep getting in the way and pushing the light down. there is a lot more space behind the bar than the front. nit-picking i suppose. pretty sure i won't have this issue when using the light on my drop-bar bike. i'll have to look at rewiring my FB cables ..

i also tried mounting the light on the top of the bar (on my flat bar), it worked a treat. however, there is a noticable squeak when the light is strapped down. i'll try using a piece of inner tube to see if it helps. the cutout at the bottom of the lens also means there's a bit more glare when using it above the bar. (just an observation, for sure i'll be using the light under the bar)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:00 pm

A trick when using rubber/silicon style straps with many handlebar mounted lights is to tilt it, do up the strap and then twist the entire light (with strap) to the desired position. This adds a bit more tension in the straps and can help it to stay in position and with less movement.

I am not that familiar with the production version of the DING light though did some coverage on BNA when they were crowdfunding. For squeaking, it could be that the rubber is a little stiff and not as compliant so there are probably a dozen ways to solve. For example, some electrical tape on the bars may do it, and make it easier to unmount and mount the light without having to place the inner-tube.
Cycling is in my BNA

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:49 pm

AUbicycles wrote:What is the beam pattern like for the front light? It is a smooth or has a distinct middle point (hot spot). Any comments on the spread, distance and also whether you feel that the light is design not to blind oncoming traffic.
I think caneye answered all these.

I did go for another ride and I'm in agreement with his comments. :)

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:20 am

A colleague got his the other day. Struck me as well made with a definite nod to Exposure in the operating system and look (just in plastic). The light quality is really useful in most modes with the combination point/spread making for a large puddle of light well in front of the user.

The downlight is...queer and possibly a handicap in my mind to the overall functionality (but not the marketing) of the light. However, we both recognised that as CX riders it could be useful on that late night singletrack! Not sure of its value to a commuting road bike which is typically well (if not overly) lit up to the front and rear anyway. Or perhaps (as a country rider) I'm just not as concerned/overly sensitive about my visibility to others.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:37 pm

I also got my pair this week and have now gone for a couple days commute with one. First night ride tonight. I have a Cygolite Expilion 720 or 800 also like Caneye, and I have a Fly12/Fly6, a couple Cygolite Hotshot Micro rear, a Serfas rear bar, a couple blinky bullet fronts at 30degrees either side on brake levers... Helmet cam Drift Stealth2 on one helmet with rear blinky, rear Drift Stealth 2 cam for non-Fly6 compatible bikes. Taking lights/cams off at work is getting time consuming!
Add the Ding now, lucky it's quick release ;)

First impression at home (after the dented tins) was how handy the downlight is just for me tooling around on my bike, in the bush or at beach airing down or up fat bikes. Without helmet headlight (don't use one of those... yet) I am careful with valve caps, but when riding through a golden orb spider web and nearly wiping out into a tree in arachophobia panic, headlight/tail lights don't help contrast in the dark around the bike when trying to swat it off yourself and see where it's got to if still on ghe bike etc.

I've been learning about universal design with accessibility for disability online and in courseware, and this benefit struck me as similar undiscovered new conveniences of something already known to be useful - light to see, be seen, for obvious benefits of seeing.

I like having the Fly12 light as a backup for emergency offroad high beam (golden orb spiders remember) but not using it most of the time for the long camera run time.

The Ding has a brilliant wide beam, I tested by blocking the pencil beam lens. They work nicely together, a path lighting pencil beam for striaght riding, with the flood beam for bends and offroad and general good low contrast fuller environment. My rating comes from having lights for wide beam and cutoff vertical like a Panasonic SafeRide 80, a B&M LuxosU IQ2, other do and don't lights, noting the new Cygolite Expilion doesnt spread or cutoff, but has a new broader than pencil beam and yellower LED update than older versions. Like the horsepower/Lumen wars are partly over and usability is improving and it's driving product design. I'm a fan of flood light, and the well mannered civil vertical cut off for oncoming traffic, so very stoked that Ding is good in these respects (even better that it isn't strictly StVZO compliant because it puts bicycles at a disadvantage to other motor vehcile lighting). Far from just a cheap mega-lumen alibaba lights bundled in one, they delivered on the early claims.

The flashing is also civilised, no harsh strobe on/off it has some ramp up/down to the power per pulse so a nice touch for using it as a 2nd light with low power strobe for "I'm a bicycle, but please don't harm me because of it ol'chap" traffic visibility attempt.

Dangerous bit for testers is looking at their front wheel/mudguard too long while in motion now that it's lit up :P

There's room for improvement, mostly DIY possible so nice to start with a nice product. Being right handed I mount it on the right if possible, and the button on the left is where the catch backup for the strap is, it's got in the way inconveniently. I can imagine that catch braking off and me not caring to replace it as it's just in the way, and I'd rather rig a tether like the Fly12, than depend on the catch.

Having the Fly12 I'm spoilt wanting to have the same mount for the Ding, would like to set it up well on the bike rather than the bumps and readjustments. Fortunatley they have the body with mount attached/removable, so room for DIY or aftermarket to respond to potential there.

The new Cygolite lockjaw mount is really good for old and new bar sizes, some rubber spacers sometimes, I think there may be potential to splice those DNA together for a 5-assed monkey Ding on Cygolite mount.

I have a road/trail bike with front rack without dynamo that I would like the stem height lighting to cast shadows of bumps. The Ding will hopefully mount to the rack with a bracket but with downlight exposed, so I'm excited about the potential for making summer night rides more than tunnel vision and better odds seeing golden orb spider kamikazees earlier.