BIKE COMPUTER

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:13 pm

MichaelB wrote:
europa wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Apart from the Sigma BC1606L DTS, is there any others that people would recommend ?
Polar CS200cad - buy the best mate :D

Seriously, I own one and you're welcome to view it anytime. I highly recommend it for useability, functionality and waterproofness (?).

Richard
Typical cost ??
$300 or so. It's not cheap, but it's worth the money. Hell, I rode for 70+km in heavy rain with mine and it didn't even notice.

Richard

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:01 am

I bought a wireless cadence comp $250 , thought i would splash out and buy a nice bit of bling for the bike , two days later i returned it to the shop as it wouldn't run right and the rear dual sensor was a pita, then i bought two wired vetta RT77 's at $49 each, one for the cruiser and one for the roadie.
Two days ago i was caught in a deluge on the way back home from the nundah track (now i know why my bike shoes have a hole in the sole , its to let the water out ! :? ) and the comp didn't miss a beat.

Riding for Cadence and not speed is a revelation to riding a bike isnt it? It took me a while to unlearn my bad habits and the comp was a valuable tool, especially for guys like myself who ride for weight loss/fitness.

seddo

Postby seddo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:06 am

Dumb question time - I take it cadence is revolutions of the legs per min??-

cheers
Seddo

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:13 am

seddo wrote:Dumb question time - I take it cadence is revolutions of the legs per min??-

cheers
Seddo
Yes Revolutions of the legs per min
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

seddo

Postby seddo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:39 pm

thanks for that - will give the concept a go

JackHenry

Postby JackHenry » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:01 pm

Cateye have a new TRIPLE Wireless computer. Available at the end of March (I think)

http://www.probikeoutlet.com/product_in ... ts_id=1189

Triple Wireless
Speed etc & Cadence both on one rear wheel sensor
Heart rate Monitor

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:59 pm

The web page says This product will be in stock on Sunday 01 April, 2007. Is that a co-incidence?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:12 am

europa wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Apart from the Sigma BC1606L DTS, is there any others that people would recommend ?
Polar CS200cad - buy the best mate :D

Seriously, I own one and you're welcome to view it anytime. I highly recommend it for useability, functionality and waterproofness (?).

Richard
Hi Richard,

I may be able to snaffle a CS100b at a good price - apart from no cadence, it does a bucketload - is the cadence the main difference with the CS200 to CS100 ?

Cheers

Michael B

europa

Postby europa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:26 am

Wouldn't have a clue Michael. However, think carefully before going without the cadence function - it's very useful. I'm pretty sure you can buy the 200 without the cadence sensor if you're tight for money, then buy the sensor later on (Heart rate strap too).

But no, I haven't researched the different models to any huge extent. Sorry.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:43 am

Thanks Richard. It seems that the 200 has additional things like memory, energy intensity and the wireless cadence.

I take your point on the cadence issue. You can get the CS200cad on ebay for $231 posted which is not too bad considering the RRP of $349.

The decision is to buy a second mount for my new bike as an interim ($15) until I can afford something decent like the CS200 ($231), make do with something like the Sigma BC1606L DTS ($105 -no HRM), or just get the BC1606L with Cadence and wiring ($50).

What a dilemma .....

Any other thoughts from other users ?

Cheers

Michael B

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:54 am

I hate wiring!
Save your money - every dollar that you spend now is a dollar that you don't have towards your CS200cad.
If you knew how hypercritical it is for me to say that, you'd roll around laughing - it just happens to be true!

europa

Postby europa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:02 am

The memory on the CS200 is very useful. You go for a ride to a mate's place, hang around drinking beer for a few hours, ride home again - both rides can be stored in seperate files or the whole thing in the one file (to hide the evidence of the beer drinking :roll: ). At the Tour Down Under, I had one file for the trip there, another file for the local running (about 20km over the day as it turned out), another for the trip home - three very different trips (as it was largely downhill there, hence largely uphill home, plus pouring with rain on the way home, plus the pottering around while there didn't mess with my long run figures).

Wireless is very good. I have experienced none of the interference that some people talk about and I think that's related to where you place the main unit, it goes onto the bike quickly and easily and you don't have to keep messing about with the wires. Having said that, I've got bikes with wires everywhere and they don't annoy me that much, just look ugly. But wireless is definitely better.

I tried buying cheap, looked at other options. In the end, the things are pricey but unless it stops you buying food for a week, it's probably worth just taking a deep breath and buying the good unit up front. You'll forget the pain of paying for it fairly quickly, the missus a bit longer, but there aren't too many functions on the CS200 that I don't use (and, it should be realised, none on it that would prevent me riding at all if I didn't have them :roll: )

A bike computer isn't like a good saddle - it isn't essential. It's like padded nicks for trips of an hour or so - a darned good idea but you can live without it. But, having decided to spend a bit of money, it's better to have what you want - the pain of paying for it wears off long before the frustration of the cheap unit not quite doing the job you want.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:21 pm

Personally if I was going to spend real money on a computer, I'd get one with cadience. Many riders consider cadience more important than speed.

Do the digital wireless ones resolve the interference from other riders issue?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:28 pm

Hmm, I am leaning towards getting the better item, and I hear the importance of cadence.

Will see what I can come up with and grab. The key thing though is limited resources of the financial kind.

Assistance in the way of purchasing my old MTB will be greatly appreciated :D

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:11 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Do the digital wireless ones resolve the interference from other riders issue?
My VDO digital wireless unit has worked very well, without any interference. It does chew up those batteries faster as you'd expect when there's transmission required (around 3-4 months for the battery set that came with the unit). As much as it has worked well for me, but I guess if you put a microwave dish or a huge transmitter next to the bike, there will be interference. But then, the rider would get cooked at the same time. :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:20 pm

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Do the digital wireless ones resolve the interference from other riders issue?
My VDO digital wireless unit has worked very well, without any interference. It does chew up those batteries faster as you'd expect when there's transmission required (around 3-4 months for the battery set that came with the unit). As much as it has worked well for me, but I guess if you put a microwave dish or a huge transmitter next to the bike, there will be interference. But then, the rider would get cooked at the same time. :shock:
What does Geoffs use? I know hes got one that analyses just about everything.

fabs

Postby fabs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:53 pm

[quote="JackHenry"]Cateye have a new TRIPLE Wireless computer. Available at the end of March (I think)

Has anybody seen one yet? :)

green_commuter

Postby green_commuter » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:38 pm

not me..

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:45 pm

Cateye? I don't know about them but Sigma Sport definitely have two new triple wireless (speed, cadence and heart rate) bike computers out already, the Rox 8.0 and 9.0.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Hotdog wrote:Cateye? I don't know about them but Sigma Sport definitely have two new triple wireless (speed, cadence and heart rate) bike computers out already, the Rox 8.0 and 9.0.
Seemingly only available easily from Germany and US.

Look nice though.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:58 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Hotdog wrote:Cateye? I don't know about them but Sigma Sport definitely have two new triple wireless (speed, cadence and heart rate) bike computers out already, the Rox 8.0 and 9.0.
Seemingly only available easily from Germany and US.
Or Cecil Walker for something outrageous.

bish

Postby bish » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:58 pm

I like my Sigma BC 1106 - great simple little computer, which is easy to use, has big buttons and a nice display. Plus I have a second cradle so I can use it on 2 bikes :) reasonably priced too!

Willmax

Re: BIKE COMPUTER

Postby Willmax » Thu May 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi there,

I bought a bike with a Huffy computer and I can't figure it out how it works.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to operate this one?
Maybe some sort of manual?

I don't really know if it is working, I mean reading while riding the bike as it does not show any change in Km.

I would like to use this one for a couple of weeks before I cash out for a new one.

Thanks.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:03 am

Willmax wrote:Hi there,

I bought a bike with a Huffy computer and I can't figure it out how it works.

Thanks.
Okay, more info needed. You bought the bike with it already attached, or did you have to attach it yourself?
Either way, is there a magnet on the wheel (a magnet) with a sensor on the fork and a wire leading to the computer head unit where you mount the computer (unless it's wireless, of course, then just a magnet+sensor, no wires)?

If there isn't either a magnet or sensor, or both, then that's your problem! Computer's no good if it in't sensing anything! If they're there, try repositining the magnet/sensor so that they have less clearance when they pass each other e.g., move the sensor higher up the fork.

If all this doesn't work, then yeah, you probably need a new computer. One of the wired Cateye / Sigma / BBB models, or whatever your LBS has at that range, should only set you back $20-$30 or so. Less if you can get it from the specials table.

Good luck!

Willmax

Postby Willmax » Sat May 09, 2009 11:37 pm

stryker84 wrote:Okay, more info needed. You bought the bike with it already attached, or did you have to attach it yourself?
Yes I have the wireless, the magnet and the sensor are in place, however still does not work properly, initially I had no reading at all, and now it has a constant 19.4km/h when I am riding, even when I stop still reads 19.4.

Still if someone know how it works it would help me find out whether it works or not.