Giant CRX-2 or...?

JohnJoyner

Re: Trek 7.5FX...

Postby JohnJoyner » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:20 pm

I do like the look of the Giant CRX2 also. I did the commute last summer/autumn, but was after a quicker bike, as the mtb can be sluggish up the hills.

I actually thought a flat bar would be more comfortable than a drop bar, but am not sure of this. Thay defy looks nice too.

Does anyone do a similar length commute?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:53 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:Does anyone do a similar length commute?
On my short days/commutes I do around 28 km each way.

Andrew

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:02 am

Aushiker wrote:
JohnJoyner wrote:Does anyone do a similar length commute?
On my short days/commutes I do around 28 km each way.

Andrew
Churchlands in WA, I grew up in Daglish, just up the road, but am now living in Sydney...
What kind of bike do you ride?
I am still keen on the flat bars & am thinking the Trek 7.5FX or the Giant CRX2, although there is about $200 difference, then the CRX1 is another $200 above the Trek. They seem to all be pretty much the same bike, with slight differences. Although the Trek does have carbon forks, does this make a big difference? The bloke at the bike shop says on a commute of 25kms it won't make much difference.
I am going to have to set aside a weekend to take some for a spin...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:18 am

JohnJoyner wrote:What kind of bike do you ride?
Look 555 - Froggie - (Audax and weekend warrior)
Surly Long Haul Trucker - Sir Lancelot (touring and commuting)
Giant XTC 2 - Julia (mountain biking and touring)
Giant CRX 1 - Chase (was used for commuting).

See signature for links to the bikes.

Andrew

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 am

JohnJoyner wrote:I do like the look of the Giant CRX2 also. I did the commute last summer/autumn, but was after a quicker bike, as the mtb can be sluggish up the hills.

I actually thought a flat bar would be more comfortable than a drop bar, but am not sure of this. Thay defy looks nice too.

Does anyone do a similar length commute?
Hi John.
My CRX2 has carbon forks, i don't really know if this is much of an advantage for most of the rides i do, usually 10 to 20 km only.

But i am quite certain that my old racing bike goes up hills a little faster
Not because it is lighter (it is the same weight) but because of the hands-on-hoods drop-bar riding position.
Also i did a 105 km ride on the CRX2 a few yr ago and i was wishing i had the drop bars to give more hand positions for comfort.

I think it depends a bit on your local conditions.
fairly good roads + numerous hills + greater distance = drop bars probably better in the long run. :idea:

Pavlova

Re: Giant CRX-2 or...?

Postby Pavlova » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:41 pm

Late into this discussion, not sure if anyone still cares.

Bought a CRX2 in Feb 08 and have been pretty chuffed with it, although only have my wife's Norco mountain bike to compare to in terms of recent riding history. I paid $800 for it brand new, some posts here seem to suggest it is more expensive so I might have scored a good deal on it then.

CRX2 perfect for 11km each way commute (Stirling - Perth). On longer weekend rides sometimes feel the urge to drop, so am considering getting a drop bar road bike but cashflow does not currently permit (will it ever?)

My only comfort issue has been adjusting seat angle - LBS and sports physician want me to have it close to level but I find this is hard on the goolies. I have it angled downwards towards the front which is easier on the plums but makes me slide forward.
2009 Malver Star Oppy Bol D'or
2008 Giant CRX2
Couple of old clangers (one with kiddie seat)