atomic gravity mountain bike

pattofish

atomic gravity mountain bike

Postby pattofish » Tue May 19, 2009 1:43 pm

i was looking at a bicycle at a cash converters shop yesterday. from what i could make out it was an atomic gravity or gravity atomic (also had the worrd gila on it). has anyone heard of these bikes and are they any good? it looked ok with shimano gearing and front and back disc breaks.It was not particularly light but was a solid construction i was wondering what would be its estimated value

thankyou

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: atomic gravity mountain bike

Postby Kalgrm » Tue May 19, 2009 1:53 pm

G'day pattofish,

Welcome to the forum.

I've shifted your thread to the appropriate forum (Buying a Bike/Parts).

I can't help you on your question though. I've never heard of them, and you don't supply enough information about what level of Shimano gearing it has. I can tell you that wouldn't want to pay very much for it because it's not a well known bike brand, and if it's heavy, it's probably not too good.

Edit: Just did a search on Google. Is this it?

If so, I'd say about $20 might be a good price for a used one, depending on condition. Personally, I'd stay away from it though, even at that price.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

pattofish

Postby pattofish » Tue May 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Cheers kalgrm
yeah that looks like it. thanks very much. will heed your advice

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue May 19, 2009 8:33 pm

pattofish wrote:i was looking at a bicycle at a cash converters shop yesterday. from what i could make out it was an atomic gravity or gravity atomic (also had the worrd gila on it). has anyone heard of these bikes and are they any good? it looked ok with shimano gearing and front and back disc breaks.It was not particularly light but was a solid construction i was wondering what would be its estimated value

thankyou
Heres some reviews to mull over http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69873

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 20, 2009 7:57 pm

brauluver wrote:
pattofish wrote:i was looking at a bicycle at a cash converters shop yesterday. from what i could make out it was an atomic gravity or gravity atomic (also had the worrd gila on it). has anyone heard of these bikes and are they any good? it looked ok with shimano gearing and front and back disc breaks.It was not particularly light but was a solid construction i was wondering what would be its estimated value

thankyou
Heres some reviews to mull over http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69873
Hmm. Linky no workie. :?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 20, 2009 8:00 pm

Heavy...you could secure super tankers with that!.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Wed May 20, 2009 8:06 pm

atomik sell their rubbish on Ebay.
Give them a wide berth!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 pm

These bikes sold new on fleaBay for around the $500 mark. For a decent dually you'd be looking at spending no less than five times that new.

For a bike at the $500 (new bike) price point you will do much better with a hardtail. Much better cranks, wheels, forks, frame, bars, transmission, shifters, seat and bars, and it will weigh at least 3kg less, as 2long has hinted.

That rear shock has limited or no damping, and certainly no way to tune the rebound damping to your weight. A landing from any sort of decent drop is likely to see the seat kick you in the butt and punt you over the bars as the rear end springs back from the impact, which is what rebound damping is there to prevent. I can advise from very recent experience that over the bars is not something that is fun.

Edit: something else I just noticed. One stick caught in the rear derailleur is likely to write off the frame. All quality mtbs have a separate derailleur hanger that is replaceable and designed to be sacrificed in the event of bashing the RD on a rock or stick in the transmission ripping off the derailleur. This is a relatively common event when trail riding. I carry a spare in my saddlebag. This frame lacks that feature.

Buy at own risk.
Last edited by trailgumby on Wed May 20, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed May 20, 2009 8:53 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Heavy...you could secure super tankers with that!.
Yep - it's called "Gravity" because it has been known to trap small asteroids in its gravitational pull, such is the mass of the frame. ;)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

agrabass

Postby agrabass » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:44 pm

I once owned one of these bikes. It was a beast, although it worked well it was needing constant attention and it is extremely heavy and unreliable. the gearing system was particularly bad as it was constantly derailing. Although it is terrible it does quite well with fire trails, and i have taken it on many but that said I would not recommend this bike to anyone.

sunrk

Postby sunrk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:04 pm

I've got one of these bikes. Been sitting in storage (nice and dry) for quite a few years. Had it out today to try and get it servicable and have been riding it around a little on the street to test out how well all the gearing, etc. behaves.

flickr page

The rear gearing is using a Shimano TX31 style unit. Not sure what the front one is.

I've re-done the bearings for both wheels as they were wobbly and needed re-greasing. I've tried to adjust the brakes as best I can. Rear ones are now top-class, front ones a bit less so, but I was able to correct the run-out on both brake rotors to within acceptable (for me) limits.

But both the front and rear gear setups are not shifting properly. Rear is 7-speed and the front is 3-speed, giving a total of 21 gear combo's. I think it's partly age, and partly because it's previous owner might have not treated it right.

Putting it's apparent design deficiences aside, I think it's worth taking to a shop to have some work done on fixing up the Shimano gearing stuff. Replacement gearing setups aren't expensive I don't think. Most of the cost would be bench time. But if it can be fixed up affordably, it'll be a good bike for most things, just not really hardcore MTB'ing. It might be 'cheap' in most people's eyes, but it's still not worth tossing out IMHO.

Craig.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Revoshift twistgrips suck, as do tx31s. It won't shift properly because its horrible low end gear that barely worked properly new, with ancient, now dry surface rusted cables, potentially frayed if the bike has actually been used, with way too much friction in the cables.

The second hand value of the bike is somewhat less than the value of a pair of new cables from the bike shop - unfitted, which means you'd only fix it because you wanted to learn how to do it, in which case its a fine example of the breed to practice with. You can probably take the housings and old cables in and get the bike shop to give you new housings in the right length, new ferrules, new caps, and new cables (which you cut after fitting), after that an allen key, screwdriver and pliers and some youtubing should be all you need to finish the job.

I'd cast a fairly keen eye over the front brake cable too, and I'd cast a pretty keen eye on whats going on with your bars. Can't tell if they are rotated to a dumb angle or if they are bent, and what is that brace - kind of thing dentists would do to a bike to increase business. If there is any hint those bars are not symmetric, then I'd throw the bike (new good bars are worth more than the bike).

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Hardly worth it unless you can do the maintenance without spending ANY money.

Looks as though the bars are rotated back too far. The brace bar was popular back in the 90's for riser bars, but it should be vertically ( or close to) above the stem clamp. That would also rotate the brake levers to a more sensible angle.

Just because it says shimano on the geared lest mean it's worth saving. Shimano make some pretty horrible low end stuff so that cheap and nasty bikes can put a shimano sticker on them and get the uninformed to buy the cheap and nasty bike.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.