JetBlack Fluid Trainer

VicMic

JetBlack Fluid Trainer

Postby VicMic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:31 am

All,

Thought I would copy this post over to this forum. I know you seem to be fans of the KK - but I cannot afford that trainer unfortunately

I was going to purchase a Mag Trainer to go with my first roadie (yet to pick up) and had a budget of around $300 and was looking at the Minoura Mag500. However I have found the JetBlack Fluid Trainer for $320 - usually $400rrp. TODAY ONLY

Is this a good trainer? Does the exponential increasing resistance work well?

I am after a trainer to do 'long in the saddle' rides and intense interval work with plenty of resistance. I was origninally going to get one with a remote to 'dial up' the resistance for intervals of specifies times. Can this be replicated on such a fluid trainer?
Importantly I need a trainer to be relatively quiet (or as quiet as can be expected).

Look forward to your thoughts and experiences with the JetBlack Fluid.

Thanks all,
VicMic.

Ant.

Re: JetBlack Fluid Trainer

Postby Ant. » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:44 pm

No idea about that Jetblack trainer, but "long" and "indoors" are 2 words that I'd never consider putting together.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Ant. wrote:No idea about that Jetblack trainer, but "long" and "indoors" are 2 words that I'd never consider putting together.
+1
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

VicMic

Postby VicMic » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:58 am

I went ahead and purchased it before the sale ended. I read a couple of favourable reviews from other sites.

Once I get the actual bike and give it a go - I will post a quick evaluation of anyone is interested.

Cheers,
VicMic.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:09 pm

VicMic wrote:Once I get the actual bike and give it a go - I will post a quick evaluation of anyone is interested.
Please. :)

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:09 am

I did my first indoor session today due to crap weather. Argh give me the outdoors and wind in my hair any day. The hour i did went on forever.

Remember you'll most likely need separate tyres to use on the trainer. Normal road tyres cannot cope with the heat buildup and will turn sour very quickly (i learnt the hard way a few years back). Most brands make specific trainer tyres, I've got a continental version on my trainer wheel at the moment. And of course with separate tyres comes a separate wheel unless you don't plan on doing any normal on road cycling or are happy to be changing tyres alot. Last but not least you'll need something to prop the front wheel up to make the bike level, and also something to catch the bucket loads of sweat you'll create (no wind over your body = nothing to keep you relatively dry).
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:49 am

HAKS wrote:I did my first indoor session today due to crap weather. Argh give me the outdoors and wind in my hair any day. The hour i did went on forever.

Remember you'll most likely need separate tyres to use on the trainer. Normal road tyres cannot cope with the heat buildup and will turn sour very quickly (i learnt the hard way a few years back). Most brands make specific trainer tyres, I've got a continental version on my trainer wheel at the moment. And of course with separate tyres comes a separate wheel unless you don't plan on doing any normal on road cycling or are happy to be changing tyres alot. Last but not least you'll need something to prop the front wheel up to make the bike level, and also something to catch the bucket loads of sweat you'll create (no wind over your body = nothing to keep you relatively dry).
Crap weather makes time fly :mrgreen: Get the right clothes on though.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:38 am

Still saving up for a good jacket and then will be ready for anything the weather can throw at me :)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

hare1

Postby hare1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Any review yet?

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:35 pm

I think he died of boredom :mrgreen:
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Nads

Postby Nads » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased a Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro Trainer from Evans Cycles in the UK. Cost $420 with a riser block and was delivered within in a week. Read some reviews in a cycling magazine and this one met all my requirements, however I didnt think I could afford it untill I went online and found some good prices in the UK. The lowest price in Oz was $799.

Really happy with it, takes no time to set up, can be a little boring but with an ipod and some small goal setting along the way I find I can do an hour on it no worries.

Live in Tassie so its a bit ordinairy weather wise at the moment, hoping to maintan some fitness over winter and so far the Cycleops is working great.

casualjoe

Postby casualjoe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Bikes.com.au have this on sale for $200 + $20shipping. Any thoughts on this trainer?

http://www.bikes.com.au/p/902234/jetbla ... ainer.html

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:54 am

VicMic wrote: Is this a good trainer? Does the exponential increasing resistance work well?

I am after a trainer to do 'long in the saddle' rides and intense interval work with plenty of resistance. I was origninally going to get one with a remote to 'dial up' the resistance for intervals of specifies times. Can this be replicated on such a fluid trainer?
Importantly I need a trainer to be relatively quiet (or as quiet as can be expected).

Look forward to your thoughts and experiences with the JetBlack Fluid.

Thanks all,
VicMic.
Short answer -
I have one and I like it.

Long Answers -

Does the exponential increasing resistance work well? Yes, the faster you pedal the harder it gets, from nice and easy does it to oh crap it's damned hard.

'dial up' the resistance for intervals of specifies times. Can this be replicated on such a fluid trainer? You can't 'dial it in for a time period' there's no electronics to be concerned with, you just screw your bike in and ride, but you can watch a clock.

Importantly I need a trainer to be relatively quiet. It's relatively quiet, I ride in the lounge room which is a raised timber floor so I get a bit of resonance going on but I can hear the TV or the stereo easily enough. If I ride under the carport on the concrete it is much quieter, so if your house is a slab concrete construction you'll be ok. The children don't wake up if I ride indoors at night if that helps.

I don't run different wheels on it, I find that yes, if you dial in the roller too tight then the tyre heats up too much, but you don't need to do that, you basically let it just touch and then apply a little more pressure, that's enough. Apart from that, you wear tyres out, on road or indoors, that's what they are for, wear them out in whatever way you can then replace them.

Something to prop the front wheel up to make the bike level is as simple as an old phone book or a ream of paper. I'm going to build something to hold the bike at a 10 percent angle to practice hills. But for flat interval training don't bother, just pretend your on a TT bike :D

Indoors, you'll need to put down a beach towel first, especially if you don't wan't sweat everywhere (keeps your significant other happy too!), also another towel over your handlebars and top tube to stop your bike getting coated in sweat.

Since you're not moving and getting no wind a fan is also a good idea, just put one a metre or so in front and whack it on high... believe me you'll need it.

Don't bother with gloves, you'll just get hot hands. And a helmet... well... nuf said.

I have also heard it said that an hour in the trainer is 2 on the road, Not sure how accurate it is but it does have an element of truth. It's hard to pedal for a long time in one. I did an hour on Saturday and really felt it. I was going to go play in the hills but since it was raining I opted out. The funny thing about the trainer is that it works back to front, if you want to climb hills outdoors you get in an easy gear and punch them out, not so on the trainer, I had it in top gear out of the saddle for 5 minute intervals and it was tough.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Rollers 8)
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

VicMic

Postby VicMic » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:06 am

Had forgotten about this post.

Thanks fatherofmany. I ended up getting one. I was going to post a Review - but I have only used it three times since! I have found it fine to use on those occasions.

However I find that I have to wind the screw/knob on the side (to secure the bike on the machine) a fair bit to get the wheel near the cetnre of the roller. As I do this I can see the stays of my carbon bike being "squeezed" inward. This worried me a bit so i limit this and have the bike positioned a bit more towards the side on the roller. This would be avoided if the Trainer had a further adjutment on the other side as well so the bike could be properly centered on the roller. Have you found this problem?

Thanks for your tips too - some great general points for indoor trainers.

Cheers,
VicMic.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah, maybe should have mentioned that, don't squeeze it in too tight. My wheel doesn't sit dead centre either, don't suppose it has to really, the trainer is designed to take different size bikes, from the current 130mm axle width down to 110 I think, so it makes sense that they are going to be at different places along the roller.

All the best with it.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 pm

See if you can get hold of some spinervals dvds. Some pretty ordinary pedalling styles on there as they are mainly triathletes but they are a good quick workout. I do them fairly often and enjoy them still. Pretty efficient use of time if you are pushed for training time too.

VicMic

Postby VicMic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 am

Parrott wrote:See if you can get hold of some spinervals dvds. Some pretty ordinary pedalling styles on there as they are mainly triathletes but they are a good quick workout. I do them fairly often and enjoy them still. Pretty efficient use of time if you are pushed for training time too.
Yes I have just finished looking at these on the net. I am hoping to borrow some off friends to see what they are like. Although I see that some are available for download from some of 'those sites'.............

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:08 am

Selling mine if anyone's interested....

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24131
FPR Ragamuffin

angelvalerie

Postby angelvalerie » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:48 pm

I have been doing tris for 3 years. I had an exercise bike for indoors in winter, but decided to switch to a trainer. Bought the jet black...for the price I don't think its worth it. Also, I did less than 100km on it before it just stopped working. Took it into Bikeforce Cannington where I had purchased it, they tried to fix the problem...and then got stuck waiting for parts. The parts were supposedly "express posted" on a Tuesday - well, Saturday still nothing. I suspect that jet black just don't offer real support or service. Their website is equally unhelpful really.

for my money go to a tri shop and get a trainer there that is cheap and does the job. I am in the middle of a training program and it just got stuffed as the only place I can now train is at the gym on the spin bike, not at all the same.

Stay away from JetBlack.

nedkelly1899

Postby nedkelly1899 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:43 am

As the owner of a Jetblack Z1 fluid trainer I am extemely unhappy regarding my purchase.
After a couple of years the roller jammed or seized. Not through overuse or abuse. I am not technically savvy in regards fixing this, so I decided to contact JetBlack themselves, after all there is a lifetime warranty. Unfortuneately due to a couple of house moves, I had lost my original receipt. No amount of arguing would change JetBlacks mind regarding the actual liability of fixing the trainer. Without my original receipt I might have just been some idiot on the street, or a homeless person, that's how they treated me. Avoid their obligations at any cost, yes Sir!! Sadly their view was your problem, your fix, not our problem any more. Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful for something that is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and that cost a reasonable sum of money in the first instance. Not happy and would never buy another JetBlack product again.

AVOID THIS PRODUCT, WILL NOT LAST AND JETBLACK WILL NOT HONOUR THEIR LIFETIME WARRANTY OBLIGATIONS. :evil: :evil:

nedkelly1899

Postby nedkelly1899 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:24 pm

As the owner of a Jetblack Z1 fluid trainer I am extemely unhappy, saddened, no just really unhappy re the followup service, warranty, and response from Jetblack Australia, regarding my purchase.
After a couple of years of very light use, the roller jammed or seized. Not through overuse or abuse. I am not technically savvy in regards fixing this, so I decided to contact JetBlack Australia themselves, after all there is a lifetime warranty, haha, . Unfortuneately due to a couple of house moves, I had lost my original receipt. No amount of arguing, too and fro emails etc, would change JetBlacks mind regarding the actual liability of fixing the trainer. Without my original receipt I might have just been some idiot on the street, or a homeless person, that's how they treated me. I was treated so badly I feel quite traumatised. Avoid their obligations at any cost, yes Sir!! Sadly their view was your problem, your fix, not our problem any more. Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful for something that is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and that cost a reasonable sum of money in the first instance. Not happy and would never buy another JetBlack product again. Never...
I live in Melbourne Australia and would like to make a comment about the poor quality and extremely poor service from the Jetblack Australian representatives in this country. Here is my comment: As the owner of a Jetblack Z1 fluid trainer I am extemely unhappy, saddened, no just really unhappy re the followup service, warranty, and response from Jetblack Australia, regarding my purchase. After a couple of years of very light use, the roller jammed or seized. Not through overuse or abuse. I am not technically savvy in regards fixing this, so I decided to contact JetBlack Australia themselves, after all there is a lifetime warranty, haha, . Unfortuneately due to a couple of house moves, I had lost my original receipt. No amount of arguing, too and fro emails etc, would change JetBlacks mind regarding the actual liability of fixing the trainer. Without my original receipt I might have just been some idiot on the street, or a homeless person, that's how they treated me. I was treated so badly I feel quite traumatised. Avoid their obligations at any cost, yes Sir!! Sadly their view was your problem, your fix, not our problem any more. Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful for something that is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and that cost a reasonable sum of money in the first instance. Not happy and would never buy another JetBlack product again. Never... Disgraceful..

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:01 pm

As an admin note - the member nedkelly1899 has made (at the time that I write) three posts in total, two of which are above and all posts respond to topics which are years old and are critical of the jetBlack product.

While their post content may represent their experience, when reading comments also consider that the individual has only posted critical comments on Jet Black and not posted or interacted in this forum otherwise.
Cycling is in my BNA

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Anybody want to buy a Gistitalia Fluid Trainer?. It's the one with the variable resistance lever, which is kind of redundant because you just need to change gears anyway. I've modified it by adding a massive steel flywheel to better replicate road feel, it takes some spinning up and spinning down. I'm never going to use it unless I need another shoulder reconstruction...

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:31 am

I have the original JetBlack Fluid trainer (2nd hand) and after some 40+ sessions on it I am extremely satisfied with it. I'm using it on Zwift (with the JetBlack Z1 selected) however I'm not participating in any group rides or races... strictly solo rides or, more often, workouts. Whilst my numbers are fictional, I can at least gauge progress to a degree.

And yes, the rear tyre doesn't sit in the middle of the roller; in fact I probably need to tighten it a little more than I'd like just to give it sufficient clearance from the left hand side. But my "trainer" bike is a cheapie (aluminium frame) so I'm not too concerned about it. Aside from that it appears bulletproof.

I'm certainly no expert and have no other frame of reference, but I'd recommend it.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1