Cell Bikes

CELL Bikes

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:51 am

Big_Red wrote:Ordered some stuff last Wednesday night, which arrived at my desk Friday morning, extremely pleased with the turnaround time. However, the usb rechargeable rear light I purchased is rather underwhelming.

I tried looking on the Echelon site before purchase, but there was no info available about this light. Disappointing to find that when i opened my parcel that the packaging lists this light as 15+ lumen - not the 40 lumen as written in the item description HERE online - please look at changing this as it is false advertising otherwise. Very annoying as i'll now need to buy another rechargeable light that is up to the job as most of my commutes home are in the dark.

In hindsight i should have got the Lezyne rear micro drive light which is a legit 30/70 lumen for only $5 more.
Hi Big Red, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll have a look at this light's description. It may be possible we were given some runout lights and the description may have been different from the supplier. Please send me an email (mark@this link is broken).
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us

jacksonho

Postby jacksonho » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 am

Hi Mark,

Just some feedback on the online ordering system. The last few times I have ordered the order goes through, I get told it has been received and then a little while later another email says it has been fulfilled. I then want to track my order but I don’t appear to be able to unless I have the courier’s please tracking number but the email states it is coming shortly. I ordered on the 9th and still haven’t received the tracking number but when I click into the Cell ordering Netsuite system it says that my order shipped on the 9th. So either the order hasn’t been picked up and thus Netsuite should reflect this or Courier’s Please hasn’t sent a tracking number. At this stage I ordered on Wednesday and don’t know if I will get it today to wait at home or not, so I have decided to go to work and hope my wife is at home to receive it. Courier’s Please seems to not want to leave parcels at the front door on the first attempt so it really makes it hard to plan for. It’s a bit of a black hole on what is occurring plus a bit bewildering when the email picture has Super-Fast shipping and Sydney to Canberra isn’t exactly that far. I received cables from e-bay with 70c shipping yesterday that I ordered the same day, if it helps the order number is 238-SO232371. I guess I am just after more transparency, I am okay if it is scheduled to arrive on Monday next week, I just don't know at this stage 2 days after the order.

Gavin

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:38 am

jacksonho wrote:Hi Mark,

if it helps the order number is 238-SO232371. I guess I am just after more transparency, I am okay if it is scheduled to arrive on Monday next week, I just don't know at this stage 2 days after the order.

Gavin
Hi Gavin,

First and foremost, apologies for this, we're having a system upgrade, and it's caused some things to go wonky sometimes. I have your consignment number, please feel free to email me (not sure if you'd want everyone to see when your things are supposed to be delivered, haha).
Your items are scheduled to be delivered today.

Thanks so much for your feedback, it really helps us improve and know what areas we need to address.

-website mgr Mark

squeakywheel

Postby squeakywheel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:45 am

CELL Bikes wrote:
jacksonho wrote:Hi Mark,

if it helps the order number is 238-SO232371. I guess I am just after more transparency, I am okay if it is scheduled to arrive on Monday next week, I just don't know at this stage 2 days after the order.

Gavin
Hi Gavin,

First and foremost, apologies for this, we're having a system upgrade, and it's caused some things to go wonky sometimes. I have your consignment number, please feel free to email me (not sure if you'd want everyone to see when your things are supposed to be delivered, haha).
Your items are scheduled to be delivered today.

Thanks so much for your feedback, it really helps us improve and know what areas we need to address.

-website mgr Mark
The unfulfilled promise of tracking numbers is a common problem I think.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:57 am

Yes I have complained about no tracking number being sent before and have been ignored.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:02 pm

biker jk wrote:Yes I have complained about no tracking number being sent before and have been ignored.
Hi bike jk, did you send a query to me and I didn't get back to you? If that's the case, apologies. Or did you send a query to our 'info' and didn't get a response?

-website mgr Mark

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:37 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:
biker jk wrote:Yes I have complained about no tracking number being sent before and have been ignored.
Hi bike jk, did you send a query to me and I didn't get back to you? If that's the case, apologies. Or did you send a query to our 'info' and didn't get a response?

-website mgr Mark
Hi Mark. It was many years ago that I sent a reply to the website about receiving no tracking number and had no reply. Indeed, I have NEVER received a tracking number on any order. The latest complaint was aired in this thread a few months ago.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:09 pm

biker jk wrote:The latest complaint was aired in this thread a few months ago.
Hi biker jk,

Apologies for that. That is my fault, as I monitor, reply, answer and do my best to solve issues addressed on this great forum.

We have identified what may be causing this, and hope to fix this soon.

I know talk is cheap, and if this has been going on for a while, you might ask "why has it taken so long".

All I can say is we are looking into making this a priority now to fix this.

If anyone here has ordered and hasn't received a tracking number, please email me (mark@this link is broken).

-website mgr Mark
Last edited by CELL Bikes on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:20 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:
biker jk wrote:The latest complaint was aired in this thread a few months ago.
Hi biker jk,

Apologies for that. That is my fault, as I monitor, reply, answer and do my best to solve issue addressed on here.

We have identified what may be causing this, and hope to fix this soon.

I know talk is cheap, and if this has been going on for a while, you might ask "why has it taken so long".

All I can say is we are looking into making this a priority now to fix this.

If anyone here has ordered and hasn't received a tracking number, please email me (mark@this link is broken).

-website mgr Mark
Thanks Mark. To be honest, your delivery is very quick, my issue is only with the tracking number not being sent so I know when to be home.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:01 pm

Hey Cell when are you getting your own brand Knicks back in? Need some spares.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:18 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:Hey Cell when are you getting your own brand Knicks back in? Need some spares.
I'm still waiting to hear about those too, sooner or later the couple of pairs i have left will get me arrested for indecent exposure :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

DuncanS

Postby DuncanS » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 pm

CELL Bikes wrote:
DuncanS wrote:
CELL Bikes wrote:
Hi Grgic, these have been replaced by these http://www.this link is broken/Continental ... -Bike-Tyre
-website mgr Mark
Mark, any data to backup the enhancement claims yet? Frankly, they do not look legit

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
They came from the Continental rep. I haven't seen him in a while, but will ask him when he's in the warehouse.
I'm sure any German-based company would have solid research, and that the figures weren't pulled out of...the air (haha).

Thanks for your patience.
-website mgr Mark
Still waiting. If you can't back it up, take it off!

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:12 pm

DuncanS wrote:If you can't back it up, take it off!

Will this do?

-website mgr Mark
Last edited by CELL Bikes on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuncanS

Postby DuncanS » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Wow, thanks Mark! Still not clear whether that's compared to 4000s or 3000 but if it's compared to 4000s then I reckon they have no competition!

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

DuncanS wrote:Wow, thanks Mark! Still not clear whether that's compared to 4000s or 3000 but if it's compared to 4000s then I reckon they have no competition!

The Continental sales rep says those figures are for improvements over the 4000s.

-website mgr Mark

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:56 am

For the 4000s Conti claimed 30% more grip, 5% more mileage and 26% less rolling resistance (compared to what they don't say). It's a little sus that the 'improvement' figures are all 3% higher than the original... And if it's true, they're multiplying percentages with percentages, which puts the improvements at a pretty low actual figure.

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:25 pm

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thin ... _3946.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More specifically, Conti tells us that the price, tread pattern, advanced Black Chili compound, Vectran puncture layer, and 3/330tpi casing have not changed. To be clear, I do believe that the tire has changed somewhat over time, as evidenced by some of the roller data from people like Slowtwitch contributor, Tom Anhalt. It seems that the newer versions of the tire have lower rolling resistance than the first year or two of production. 

Aarondrew

Postby Aarondrew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Just on 2 years ago I bought a Cell bikes MTX-2 mountain bike. The brakes have needed constant adjustment and likewise for the gears. About 2 months ago I was ready to go out for a Sunday morning ride when I noticed a broken spoke on the rear wheel. I took it over to Cell bikes shop at Camperdown and was told that I needed a new chain and rear gear cogs as well. Remember this is a bike only 2 years old.
A week later when I collected my bike I paid $240 for the repairs and service. I left the shop and rode about 20 metres down the road. Suddenly, another broken spoke this time on the front wheel. Extremely annoyed I went straight back into the shop. Then and only then was I told that both wheels have a serious corrosion problem, probably brought about my exposure to salt water. Why didn't they tell me about this when I collected the bike?
My bike has always been kept inside and while riding I've only been caught in the rain about 4 times. They were reluctant to fix the spoke and only did so because I politely refused to leave the shop until they did - for free.
The young guy continued to argue with me about the structural integrity of the wheels and their quality. I simply can't accept that my bike's wheels could be so corroded after only 2 years and with constant good care on my part.
He told me that 'well you've only bought the base model" which I was well aware of when I bought it.
I was totally disgusted with the attitude of the young guy at the shop and I left vowing never to return.
Last week while doing laps of Centennial Park, another spoke broke. I've taken the tyre off and had a look at the inside rim of the front wheel and there is indeed serious-looking corrosion around each nipple. I consider that this corrosion existed before I even purchased the bike but of course I can't prove that.
I think Cell bikes products are of questionable quality and their service is terrible.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Aarondrew wrote:Just on 2 years ago I bought a Cell bikes MTX-2 mountain bike.
Regarding the chain and cog, how many ks did you do in those 2 years? Chain and cog life is dependent on mileage, loading, and maintenance. Little to do with time per se.

Aarondrew

Postby Aarondrew » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm

It's hard to say how many k's. I've used the bike a lot, both on weekends for fun and commuting to / from work which is a 12 km round trip. I also did the Gong ride last year. Regardless of that I've always taken care of the bike and think that the quality is dodgy.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Aarondrew wrote:Just on 2 years ago I bought a Cell bikes MTX-2 mountain bike. The brakes have needed constant adjustment and likewise for the gears. About 2 months ago I was ready to go out for a Sunday morning ride when I noticed a broken spoke on the rear wheel. I took it over to Cell bikes shop at Camperdown and was told that I needed a new chain and rear gear cogs as well. Remember this is a bike only 2 years old.
A week later when I collected my bike I paid $240 for the repairs and service. I left the shop and rode about 20 metres down the road. Suddenly, another broken spoke this time on the front wheel. Extremely annoyed I went straight back into the shop. Then and only then was I told that both wheels have a serious corrosion problem, probably brought about my exposure to salt water. Why didn't they tell me about this when I collected the bike?
My bike has always been kept inside and while riding I've only been caught in the rain about 4 times. They were reluctant to fix the spoke and only did so because I politely refused to leave the shop until they did - for free.
The young guy continued to argue with me about the structural integrity of the wheels and their quality. I simply can't accept that my bike's wheels could be so corroded after only 2 years and with constant good care on my part.
He told me that 'well you've only bought the base model" which I was well aware of when I bought it.
I was totally disgusted with the attitude of the young guy at the shop and I left vowing never to return.
Last week while doing laps of Centennial Park, another spoke broke. I've taken the tyre off and had a look at the inside rim of the front wheel and there is indeed serious-looking corrosion around each nipple. I consider that this corrosion existed before I even purchased the bike but of course I can't prove that.
I think Cell bikes products are of questionable quality and their service is terrible.
Hi Aarondrew,

Thank you for your feedback.

I spoke to our Workshop Manager and this was his feedback:
He brought his bike in and booked it in for a General Service, Chain, Cassette and a broken spoke.
I remember Dan was doing the job and he mentioned it on his invoice that his rim is totally corroded around the nipples/inside rim and it'll be an issue in the future.

He picked his bike up and 500m after he had another broken nipple and came back in. He asked for a mechanic so I came downstairs to the store and had a chat to him.
He asked me couple of times the same question how his spokes/nipples can be corroded.
I tried to explain that his bike is a good mid-range bike with some basic wheels and no stainless nipples and 2 years is quiet a while for a bike specially when it got wet and water gets easily inside those rims.
I definitely never refused to repair his broken spoke, he just stopped listening to me after I explained him how it can happen and what are reasons for it.

I'm definitely not here to offend people or rip someone off or lie to people.
He started speaking to me in a very offensive way.
I removed his tyre in front of him and showed him the corroded spokes he didn't even look at it and he was just telling me to fix it quickly otherwise he would call the police.

So, that is my side of the story.
The second spoke was fixed for free that the situation was actually dangerous for him.
The fact that the wheel had a broken spoke before the ride points toward 2 things, lack of maintenance, and we can rule out faulty spokes because they were broken at the tip, not in the middle when they are faulty.
I know Ben, the workshop manager and I've never seen him act in an unprofessional manner. Being from Germany, he is quite actually the very stereotypical, very detailed, efficient and 'get things fixed' person as you might expect someone like him to be.

We've sold thousands of MTX-2D's and if they were faulty or had serious defects, we'd know about it and we'd discontinue the range. However this is one of our best selling bikes and continues to be so.

Apologies for you not being satisfied with your experience. Please note that if you live in an area near salt water, extra care must be taken. Also regular maintenance will keep your bike performing at its best.

-website mgr Mark

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Honest question.. What maintenance is the end user supposed to be doing to prevent broken spokes? I've already had two broken spokes on a bike I purchased in January (not cell), had the wheel rebuilt under warranty after the second one broke, and am interested to know what I could/should be doing to prolong their life. As a clyde I know my wheels take a beating, so anything I can do to make life easier for them is a bonus.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Aarondrew wrote:It's hard to say how many k's. I've used the bike a lot, both on weekends for fun and commuting to / from work which is a 12 km round trip. I also did the Gong ride last year. Regardless of that I've always taken care of the bike and think that the quality is dodgy.
So 12 Km round trip X 5 = 60 Km per week. If you only do 30 Km on the weekend, then that is over 9000 Km in 2 years. Since a chain only lasts between say 2500 and 7000 before it starts to excessively wear the cogs, I'd say any bike would have needed at least a chain change and probably the cassette as well. As for corrosion, it depends on many factors, one of them being the amount you sweat on the bike. I've had a lot of corrosion problems because I sweat a lot and also ride beside salt water. I've had spoke corrosion problems where they cross after about 3 years, even though they are supposed to be stainless spokes. Things wear out and get corroded. It often doesn't matter how much you pay.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm

WarbyD wrote:Honest question.. What maintenance is the end user supposed to be doing to prevent broken spokes? I've already had two broken spokes on a bike I purchased in January (not cell), had the wheel rebuilt under warranty after the second one broke, and am interested to know what I could/should be doing to prolong their life. As a clyde I know my wheels take a beating, so anything I can do to make life easier for them is a bonus.
Get a spoke tension gauge and a good spoke wrench and then make sure the spokes stay at a high enough tension by periodically retensioning, then retruing.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Aarondrew wrote:It's hard to say how many k's. I've used the bike a lot, both on weekends for fun and commuting to / from work which is a 12 km round trip. I also did the Gong ride last year. Regardless of that I've always taken care of the bike and think that the quality is dodgy.
Brake pads, tyres, chains, cogs, even chain rings are considered as consumables. Even if you maintain, clean and lube them etc regularly, they will wear out.