- kid seat shifts weight higher on bike
- kid might suffer more if the bike falls over
- extra hassle stopping / dismounting
- frame of bike has to be suitable and/or requires a rack

vs.

- worrying about quality of trailer coupling
- extra weight
- kid is very low and vulnerable

Who has been toddler hauling and what are your experiences with trailers or seats?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Re: Pros and cons - trailers vs. kid seats

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:55 pm

hey Drubie, been there done that, still doing that!

I'll try to answer constructively

Child Seat
- kid seat shifts weight higher on bike
Not too much of a problem, they are strapped in, it's really only their head & arms that move which doesn't shift weight that much. it's just that you have to compensate for a lot higher centre of gravity.

- kid might suffer more if the bike falls over
Kid might suffer much if the bike falls over, didn't experience this thankfully

- extra hassle stopping / dismounting
No real hassle stopping, they don't weigh that much so stopping distance is only a little more. Dismounting though can be interesting. MTB ok because the frame is lower, old 10speed is a little more acrobatic.

- frame of bike has to be suitable and/or requires a rack
A decent child seat comes with a rack and is detachable. Cheaper ones are semi-permanent fixtures.

Trailer
- worrying about quality of trailer coupling
Exactly, don't get a clamp on (ie clamps on to left chainstay) they slip and can get caught in spokes. Clip on couplings are a tad more expensive but worth it.

- extra weight
You bet. But not much. It's more the extra length that you must be concerned about. Clipping corners is not fun, trailer wheel gets caught and you stop suddenly. Also adds to braking distance as you have to apply the brakes slowly, jack-knifing is not desirable.

- kid is very low and vulnerable
Didn't find it an issue, in fact they got a better view, being in the seat just gave a good view of my back.

More on my experiences.

I had one in a childseat and twins in a trailer at the same time. Trip back from the shops meant a total weight of over 160kg. At that level a gutter becomes a mountain, low gears are your friend.

+ Trips in the trailer mean they can take along stuff, like a drink, snacks etc so they don't get bored.

- Trailers into a headwind = parachute. Doesn't matter how hot it is, the raincover goes on to deflect some of the wind!

- Trailers also have a different track than you on a bike, you've now got to look out for 3 lots of bumps, glass etc that your tyres may hit.

+ Trailers can be used for other things, like putting the fishing gear in and riding to the fave fishing spot.

+ Provided you have a good stand or your bike is secured, the children can get in and out of the trailer very easily. (actually even if it's not, they can, it's just that your bike falls over)

Have also used a tag-along which has it's own balance problems when the child leans one way and you are trying to turn a corner the other way !!
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Quite a bit of relevant discussion here
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13050
here
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18578
and here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16512

I've used a beto rack mounted seat, Wee-ride front mounted seat, chinese style extra seat on the top tube, 2 seat trailer, and trailgator tag along connector thingo.

The wee ride was best for small kids, as they can see and you can talk to them. A little awkward for pedalling as there is a wide seat between your legs.
The standard rack type seat is OK, kids still seem to like it but hard to communicate and they can't see in front.
Trailer was liked by the kids but generally a bit of a hassle, takes up a lot of storage space, a lot of road, a lot of parking space required. Slowest option/most exercise. Good for carrying shopping though.

By 3-4 years old both my kids prefer to be towed on their own bike with the trail gator.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Alright - feedback was excellent.

I've gone with a really cheap Cyclops seat that's going on the back of our home made tandem - I thought the whole train might be a big long with a trailer after fatherofmany pointed out the tracking issues. Not too worried about hills or gearing at this stage as the tandem is going on top of my truck for the trip down to the cycle path for the time being.

I probably would have preferred a wee ride but I'm impatient and just pulled the trigger down at k-mart. If this whole experiment works out, I suspect we'll be buying a proper tandem and a good quality seat next year, but I wanted to try to practicality of the whole thing first.

Thanks again!
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:30 pm

drubie wrote: really cheap Cyclops seat that's going on the back of our home made tandem - I thought the whole train might be a big long with a trailer after fatherofmany pointed out the tracking issues.
One thing to be careful of is the extra height when trying to mount your bike by swinging your leg over. I did that with my eldest, and got away with it for about 18 months. And then tore an adductor muscle, which still lets me know it was a dumb idea 25 years later. Maybe not a risk for the captain of the tandem, but the stoker (wifey ?) might have to think about it.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Trailer is ahead by a mile.

:?

Well not in reality, but you know what I mean :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:52 pm

The kid seat is working out pretty well - there are stoker mounting issues (must remind the stoker not to kick her sister when mounting) but overall we don't notice she's back there.

Bonus feature is the seat is perfect for a backpack or three shrinkwrapped longnecks.

TomH

Postby TomH » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Trailer for me. Never tried a seat but concerned over what would happen if I took a spill.

Other major advantage is that you can take nappy bag, drinks, ball etc in the back for when your child has enough.

I have a clamp on (CTS) which has never slipped. I agree that the axle mounting is far better but clamp on has been fine for me.

Cheers,

Tom

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:54 pm

I' be concerned about the prospect of the trailer tipping over in corners. Can anyone elaborate their experience?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Quite a few trailers have warnings not to ride at more than a very low speed such as 10 or 15kph.

If you were riding solo with a baby seat, a step-through frame would certainly help with the mounting/dismounting. Although, some blokes might feel that this reduces their street cred.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:32 pm

trailgumby wrote:I' be concerned about the prospect of the trailer tipping over in corners. Can anyone elaborate their experience?
Never had any problems with this occuring in the 4-5 years that we made use of our trailer.
hartleymartin wrote:Quite a few trailers have warnings not to ride at more than a very low speed such as 10 or 15kph.
Such warnings are a legacy of the US market's product litigation lunacy. I've often ridden with the trailer at over 30kmh with no adverse handling issues. On at least one descent with the two kids aboard we hit ~60kmh on a fast straight downhill.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Dazzman

Postby Dazzman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi, just picked up on this thread & noticed some mention of tag-along bikes. I carry my 3 1/2 yr old in a rack mounted seat on my old MTB, but now my 1 yr old is ready to join in & I was considering a tag-along for our 3 1/2 yr old attached to wifey's bike to free up the kiddy seat on mine (or vice versa). Does anyone have any advice/experience re from what age a tag-along would be appropriate?
2011 S-Works Tarmac
2013 Specialized Carve Pro 29er
1996 Giant ATX 890 MTB

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:44 am

Dazzman wrote:Hi, just picked up on this thread & noticed some mention of tag-along bikes. I carry my 3 1/2 yr old in a rack mounted seat on my old MTB, but now my 1 yr old is ready to join in & I was considering a tag-along for our 3 1/2 yr old attached to wifey's bike to free up the kiddy seat on mine (or vice versa). Does anyone have any advice/experience re from what age a tag-along would be appropriate?
I think 5 is probably more appropriate for a tag-a-long - at 3 1/2 you'd be lucky to go fast enough not to fall sideways. Two kids under 5 would mean a trailer I'm pretty sure (or a bakfiets).

Dazzman

Postby Dazzman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:58 pm

managed to "borrow" another kiddy seat from my brother in law on the weekend which hadnt been used for years. Cleaned it up & it is now on the back of wifey's mtb. Hopefully that will get us thru the next 2 yrs or so...
2011 S-Works Tarmac
2013 Specialized Carve Pro 29er
1996 Giant ATX 890 MTB

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:54 am

Dazzman wrote: Does anyone have any advice/experience re from what age a tag-along would be appropriate?
My kids have really enjoyed the tag along (trail gator) from around 3 years old. Useful to have a mirror so you can see what they are up to though, like hanging off the side to get a really good look at how the chain and stuff works.
The trail gator allows you to attach the child's own bike, so it it a suitable size. The more conventional tag alongs are usually a 20 inch wheel size, so would be too big for a 3 year old to reach the pedals, my 4 year old is just able to use one now.

TsvTobins

Postby TsvTobins » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi all,

Just picked up this thread, but seems you might be the people to answer my questions. Particularly father of many? :)

I have a trailer, but just spent some time over the holidays on a friend's bike with a rear child seat - my 3 yr old loved it a lot more than the trailer because we can chat easier. And I agree with the headwind + trailer = parachute! Seems there is always a headwind on the way home...

I'm happy to switch to a seat but I still need to carry gear - food and clothes for each of us for work / daycare. Plus a computer (but I'm happy to have that in a slim backpack I have - anything bulkier won't be much fun for the 3 yr old on the back!). So, does anyone have any advice on how best to carry gear plus child? I was of course thinking panniers, but not sure where they would fit best and how best to distribute the weight. Any tips on front vs back distribution? Size of paniers? Is there a rack that will fit paniers and a child seat?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Renae

globetrotter

Postby globetrotter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:12 pm

I have not done this but I noticed here

http://cykla.com.au/content/view/35/43/

that there is a system that will allow you to use panniers and a bike seat.

Otherwise you might be able to get a rack that has a seperate lower rail for mounting panniers

The other option might be to use a weeride or similar and then you can carry stuff on the back but being 3 yrs old that is not going to be an option for too much longer (depending on the size of your child of course) OR but a basket on the front or front wheel panniers.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Hey TSV...

never encountered the problem as I always had the trailer to hold 'stuff', but I think your best bet would be some front mount panniers. Was going to recommend one side each but then when you take littluns side off, weight distribution may be an issue as it would affect your steering.

I'd say that HAMAX system costs a pretty penny, worth it if you use it all the time though.

Back to front mounts, why not leave them permanently attached and have an inner bag with the little ones gear in it and shift some of yours over to that one when it's emtied to balance it out.

We currently use an i-Bert for our littlest, which is similar to the weeride but has a different mounting system but I think that would be too small as well.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:27 pm

I've tackled the problem with a combination of all the above methods. The wee ride or similar (front mounted seat) might be best, as it is much better for talking to the passenger than a rear seat. Will start to get a bit small for a 4 year old though, mine had to take their shoes off to get their feet in. Also makes pedalling a little awkward due to its width, you would want to be able to drop it off with the kid.

I have used front panniers quite successfully, but it helped that I had the racks and bags already.
My wife uses a kind of pannier like bag from a phil and ted stroller velcroed onto her handlebars. A proper basket or handlebar mounted bike bag would probably be even better.

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone got or had the Hamax Caress baby/kids seat?
I'm looking at fitting it to a focus superbud 29r. There is some info out there on the net but not much in regards to what bikes they fit.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:08 pm

trailgumby wrote:I' be concerned about the prospect of the trailer tipping over in corners. Can anyone elaborate their experience?
I've got a Chariot CX2, Adams Single trailer bike, Adams Tandem trailer bike and a Weehoo.

The Weehoo tows the best and has zero effect on the handling, I've used it on bunch rides no problem. Also very fast, once you are up to speed its easy to tow. Hills and accellerations hurt.

The Adams trailers have some play in the hitch, the tandem one is a real handful. The single one tows pretty good.

The Chariot trailers tow excellent but they are like pulling a parachute, quite safe though as long as you strap the kids in properly as they have a mini roll cage and suspension built into them.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

plasmapug

Postby plasmapug » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:12 pm

bardygrub wrote: Has anyone got or had the Hamax Caress baby/kids seat?
I'm looking at fitting it to a focus superbud 29r. There is some info out there on the net but not much in regards to what bikes they fit.
I bought a Hamax Caress (non-rack version) but haven't fitted it quite yet. It looks as though I'll have to hunt around to find an alternate mounting bar to increase the incline. Trouble is, I can't seem to find many suppliers, either here or OS. I'm a little annoyed, I can't think of any bike where the angle of the seat tube would suit the standard supplied mounting bar and details of angles etc for the different alternate mounting bars are non-existent.