Buying Felt F3 SL 2009 from Wiggle

pawel

Buying Felt F3 SL 2009 from Wiggle

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:37 am

I am thinking of buying the Felt SL 09 for $2990 AUD from Wiggle any thoughts on this bike at this price here is the link to it http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/Felt_ ... 360038950/ what would the taxes add up too once it gets shipped here would it be around $550?

Will

Re: Buying Felt F3 SL 2009 from Wiggle

Postby Will » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:07 pm

GST will be 10% on top of the price of bike + postage, then there will be about a $50 processing charge. You can get out of paying duty as it is a complete bike.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:46 pm

I personally wouldn't do it, felt bikes are actually not that more expensive here in Australia. Get some prices here before you drop the money on the overseas bike with no LBS support

pawel

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:04 pm

The same bike here on bike exchange is around $4500 so there is a big price difference.

pawel

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:36 pm

How does the USA compare to buying a bike online with our dollar so strong any good sites people have used?

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:28 pm

pawel wrote:The same bike here on bike exchange is around $4500 so there is a big price difference.
ah ok, I was looking at bone and there was only about a $200 difference.

Will

Postby Will » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:16 pm

pawel wrote:How does the USA compare to buying a bike online with our dollar so strong any good sites people have used?
The AU dollar is strong now against USD and GBP so it would be pretty similar. I think the fact most buy from the UK is they have really well run online stores and the US not so much, and higher shipping costs from the States.

ratsack

Postby ratsack » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:18 pm

that's one sexy lookin bike

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 am

Will wrote:GST will be 10% on top of the price of bike + postage, then there will be about a $50 processing charge. You can get out of paying duty as it is a complete bike.
Can you confirm that paying duty is not required if you buy a whole bike? Where did you source that information from? I was also looking at buying a cyclocross bike from overseas.

Thanks,
J

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:31 am

Tasty bike. Carbon Felt with SRAM Red for under $3K? That's an awesome deal. There's a current model F3 with same gruppo at one of my LBS' for about $4,500

Gmac1969

Postby Gmac1969 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:33 pm

I have just received my F3 (from Wiggle), great looking bike, first ride this weekend. No duty so paid about 350 with processing fee from customs (still $1000 less than best LBS price). Process was very easy and I now have the bike I wanted after months of research with the set up that can not be matched in Oz. PS confirmed warranty direct with Felt if the bike is registered on their site.
ainsy wrote:Tariff Concession (0104891) below

Tariff Code: 8712.00.00
Reference No: 0104891
Schedule4 Item: 50

BICYCLES
Op. 18.06.01 Dec. date 31.08.01 - TC 0104891 50

As advised by Lukas 5% on framesets unfortunately Thomas. Lee/Scott make sure you get your money back for the duty as you are entitled to get the bike in duty free.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:41 pm

silkishuge wrote:
Will wrote:GST will be 10% on top of the price of bike + postage, then there will be about a $50 processing charge. You can get out of paying duty as it is a complete bike.
Can you confirm that paying duty is not required if you buy a whole bike? Where did you source that information from? I was also looking at buying a cyclocross bike from overseas.

Thanks,
J
I should be able to find some info for you - will post it if/when I get it.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Twiggy

Postby Twiggy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:06 pm

[quote="Gmac1969"]I have just received my F3 (from Wiggle), great looking bike, first ride this weekend. No duty so paid about 350 with processing fee from customs (still $1000 less than best LBS price). Process was very easy and I now have the bike I wanted after months of research with the set up that can not be matched in Oz. PS confirmed warranty direct with Felt if the bike is registered on their site.

So the felt Warrenty is covers you in Aust even though you got the bike on wiggle??

I was looking at a trek 5.2 but the warrenty is only valid in the country of purchase

I to am very interested in the duty issue

Looked at an Felt F1 today with dura ace and dura ace wheels for about $6900 built with out pedals and biddon cages it came in at 6.25 kg just amazing

Warrenty is a big issue i discussed with the guy at the shop apparently Giant include organised rides like ATB as a race which is not covered so i will be researching the felt warranty
Thanks

Twiggy

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Twiggy wrote:
Gmac1969 wrote:I have just received my F3 (from Wiggle), great looking bike, first ride this weekend. No duty so paid about 350 with processing fee from customs (still $1000 less than best LBS price). Process was very easy and I now have the bike I wanted after months of research with the set up that can not be matched in Oz. PS confirmed warranty direct with Felt if the bike is registered on their site.

So the felt Warrenty is covers you in Aust even though you got the bike on wiggle??

I was looking at a trek 5.2 but the warrenty is only valid in the country of purchase

I to am very interested in the duty issue

Looked at an Felt F1 today with dura ace and dura ace wheels for about $6900 built with out pedals and biddon cages it came in at 6.25 kg just amazing

Warrenty is a big issue i discussed with the guy at the shop apparently Giant include organised rides like ATB as a race which is not covered so i will be researching the felt warranty
Thanks

Twiggy
Warranty will most likely be covered through wiggle. Local distributor (Southcott for Felt in Aus) will most likely not touch it. Can't say for certain, but that is usually the case.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

pawel

Postby pawel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:34 am

The Felt Z25 2009 has also caught my eye it also has a compact crank which seems to be the way most people prefer these days.

pawel

Postby pawel » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Went to the bikexchange website to see australia wide the same bike pricing wise the best they could do on the same bike it was $4400. I emailed them and this was the response for the higher price,

As for buying local, whilst you only pay tax of $350:-
When you purchase locally we build the bike for you ($150 value), Wiggle doesn't build your bike.
We also offer 12 months free servicing on all bikes sold, aproximately 4 services at $65 = $260. With our high end bikes like the F3 we offer life time servicing, Wiggle doesn't offer this.
Also we'd spend time with you fitting the bike to you, making sure not only is the frame the right size but you have the right stem, bars, saddle etc. (priceless really)
Of couse when you shop locally you build up a rapport with you local bike shop staff. In my opinion this is possibly the most valuable of all things that a local bike shop can offer. Get to know the guys at the bike shop (and take care of the relationship) and they will bend over backwards to assist you when ever and where ever possible.

One final thing that you might want to keep in mind is the issues of warranty. If something goes wrong with your frame will NOT have the support of the local distributor and you will have to go through Wiggle (paying for the frieght to and from the UK).

If I could make a suggestion, find your local felt dealer. Walk in the door and have a chat, you might be pleased with the price you pay (along with all the inclueded value that I mentioned).

Hope this clears up your questions,
Justin
Podium Bike Hub
Sth Melb

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM, bikeExchange Direct Enquiry <info@bikeexchange.com.au> wrote:

bikeExchange : Customer Product Enquiry
F3 SL
Type: Road
Brand: Felt
Price: $4,399.00 (New)
View your Ad
Login to your "My Account"

Comments:
I am interested why Wiggle in the UK sells the same bike for $3000AUD with free shipping to australia plus 350 in taxes, as many people have bought from them on Australian cycle forums. Why are Australian prices so much more expensive you are $1000 more expensive even if I payed for all the taxes incl. Is this the best price you guys can do on this bike. It is hard to support the local guys when there is a huge price difference on the same product if it were 100-200 dollars sure support Australia but not $1000.
Last edited by pawel on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:54 pm

All well and good if you need all those things mentioned. If you know how to build part of the bike then no prob with wiggle, if you know how to service a bike then no prob with wiggle The only benefits are the fit and warranty buying locally. Fit well go to your Felt dealer and see if the bike fits, then you can still buy from wiggle so I guess there goes that benefit out the door. So all in all $1000 = local warrenty. Chances the bike will develop a warrenty issue..........that's up for you to decide.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:30 am

pawel wrote:too much stuff to quote
Ask em if they will sell it to you in a box without fitting/free servicing etc for $3k :twisted:

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:48 am

im_no_pro wrote:
silkishuge wrote:

Thanks,
J
I should be able to find some info for you - will post it if/when I get it.
Here's the info...

"BICYCLES AND OTHER CYCLES (INCLUDING DELIVERY TRICYCLES), NOT MOTORISED" are classified to 8712.00.00 in Schedule 3 of the Tariff, which shows a general rate of duty of 5% (page 8 of Schedule 3, Chapter 87) . However, there is a tariff concession order (TCO 0104891) for "BICYCLES" that are classified to 8712.00.00, so that reduces the rate of duty to "Free" - see page 37 of TCOs, Chapter 87.

Bicycle frames, forks, wheels etc are classified to 8714.9. Frames and forks (8714.91.00) are 5%, most other bike parts are "Free". Please note that some parts won't be classified as bike parts of 8714.9, but will be classified elsewhere within the tariff.

Interpretive Rule 2(a) in Schedule 2 of the Tariff says that "Any reference in a heading to an article shall be taken to include a reference to that article incomplete or unfinished, provided that, as presented, the incomplete or unfinished article has the essential character of the complete or finished article." Thus a bike does not have to be complete to be classified to 8712, but the tricky bit is working out whether an incomplete bike has the essential character of a complete bike, or if it is just a bike frame and fork that has been partially built up...

pawel

Postby pawel » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:07 am

Where are the Felt Bike shops based in the Sydney area? I can get a size up and try to get a quote before I decide to buy from Wiggle.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:59 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Here's the info...

"BICYCLES AND OTHER CYCLES (INCLUDING DELIVERY TRICYCLES), NOT MOTORISED" are classified to 8712.00.00 in Schedule 3 of the Tariff, which shows a general rate of duty of 5% (page 8 of Schedule 3, Chapter 87) . However, there is a tariff concession order (TCO 0104891) for "BICYCLES" that are classified to 8712.00.00, so that reduces the rate of duty to "Free" - see page 37 of TCOs, Chapter 87.

Bicycle frames, forks, wheels etc are classified to 8714.9. Frames and forks (8714.91.00) are 5%, most other bike parts are "Free". Please note that some parts won't be classified as bike parts of 8714.9, but will be classified elsewhere within the tariff.

Interpretive Rule 2(a) in Schedule 2 of the Tariff says that "Any reference in a heading to an article shall be taken to include a reference to that article incomplete or unfinished, provided that, as presented, the incomplete or unfinished article has the essential character of the complete or finished article." Thus a bike does not have to be complete to be classified to 8712, but the tricky bit is working out whether an incomplete bike has the essential character of a complete bike, or if it is just a bike frame and fork that has been partially built up...
Thanks for the info. But I agree with what some people have said here regarding warranty. I don't know how to assemble the bike, I would like free servicing for a year and a good relationship with your LBS is always good, and from experience, can be a great asset when you need an urgent service. I think I would buy from my LBS, if only they had the bike I want. :( If I buy a bike 35km away from home and is now where near I would normally go, it will be a pain to take it back for servicing there.

J

pawel

Postby pawel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:14 pm

After much research I think I will go with a local bike shop The Bike Barn and buy a Cervelo S-1 09 price listed $3339 http://thebikebarn.com.au/product.php?p ... 367&page=1. I know the specs on the running gear is not as good but the frame and reviews world wide sold me. How much do you think the price can be further discount with the 2010 out?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:17 pm

silkishuge wrote:
Thanks for the info. But I agree with what some people have said here regarding warranty. I don't know how to assemble the bike, I would like free servicing for a year and a good relationship with your LBS is always good, and from experience, can be a great asset when you need an urgent service. I think I would buy from my LBS, if only they had the bike I want. :( If I buy a bike 35km away from home and is now where near I would normally go, it will be a pain to take it back for servicing there.

J
FWIW I agree completely. Buying parts/accessories/clothing etc online? For sure. Buying a whole bike?? I'll be sticking to the local as well.

provoked

Postby provoked » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:28 pm

It's a shame that there is such a price difference - but that's ben discussed before so I'd rather not go there.

But the thing you don't get from Online Shopping is the ability to compare different bikes and go shop hopping feeling out what feels good. Not to mention the joy you get when you walk into the LBS and test ride all those beautiful looking machines - an experience you can't match online.

I agree with most - accessories etc online I'm all for, but a full bike I'd rather buy local.
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

sixx

Postby sixx » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:22 pm

provoked wrote:
But the thing you don't get from Online Shopping is the ability to compare different bikes and go shop hopping feeling out what feels good. Not to mention the joy you get when you walk into the LBS and test ride all those beautiful looking machines - an experience you can't match online.

I agree with most - accessories etc online I'm all for, but a full bike I'd rather buy local.

Couldn't you still test ride a bike locally and buy online?