Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

biker jk

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby biker jk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:46 pm

dalai47 wrote:
frankn wrote:I've ordered many parcels of gear from c r c, Wiggle and Evans. Only once has a partial shipment not arrived. Sometimes I've had to wait a 2-3 weeks for deliveries but often a lot shorter timeframe. I have never paid for courier or accelerated delivery. I wouldn't buy items from overseas that I must have in less than 2 weeks as the chain of delivery can easily be disrupted. If in a rush/time limited then buy domestic and pay the extra $$.
+100000000000

Not getting the order delivered immediately is a small price to pay for the cheaper prices. Always amazes me when people get upset when their order doesn't get here overnight...
It's not a question of not arriving overnight but that the promised delivery period is being consistently exceeded by a considerable margin. This appears to reflect an attempt to cut costs by some online retailers via contracting less efficient couriers. In short, a deterioration in the service they provide.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:11 pm

dalai47 wrote:
frankn wrote:I've ordered many parcels of gear from c r c, Wiggle and Evans. Only once has a partial shipment not arrived. Sometimes I've had to wait a 2-3 weeks for deliveries but often a lot shorter timeframe. I have never paid for courier or accelerated delivery. I wouldn't buy items from overseas that I must have in less than 2 weeks as the chain of delivery can easily be disrupted. If in a rush/time limited then buy domestic and pay the extra $$.
+100000000000

Not getting the order delivered immediately is a small price to pay for the cheaper prices. Always amazes me when people get upset when their order doesn't get here overnight...
And that there is a thread endlessly moaning about it. :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Order from c r c late at night on the 25th of August, and got a "Order Dispatched" mail about 2 hours later with the tracking info (Trakpak) and also embedded in that is tracking for Australia Post

Trackpak Info:-

Date/Time Activity Event Code
01/09/2015 00:01:00 INTERNATIONAL HUB - SYDNEY 246
31/08/2015 23:30:00 SHIPMENT DEPARTED SINGAPORE TRANSIT - SIN 214
31/08/2015 02:59:00 TRANSIT SINGAPORE - SIN, 213
27/08/2015 12:39:00 PROCESSED IFD LHR - 211
26/08/2015 16:16:29 TRAK PAK PROCESS CENTRE 198

Australia Post Tracking Info:

Current Status: Handed Over to Partner Carrier
Shipment History :

Event Date Event Time Event Detail Event City
01/09/2015 15:16 Handed Over to Partner Carrier sydney
01/09/2015 11:23 Cleared Customs sydney
01/09/2015 00:01 Shipment Arrived within Destination Country sydney
31/08/2015 23:30 Shipment Departed SIN
31/08/2015 03:07 Manifested for Outbound Transportation SIN,
31/08/2015 02:59 Shipment Processed at Hub SIN,
27/08/2015 12:39 Shipment Departed Origin Country (UK)
26/08/2015 12:39 Customer Data Received

You seem to get a bit more info from the Australia Post tracking than from Trakpak, but it does appear that the parcel is now in Sydney awaiting delivery. So, ordered not quite 7 days ago. I am not too fussed about that delivery time as anything urgent I usually either buy locally, or get the express delivery if the costs work out.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

idler

Postby idler » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Interesting - I actually made an order with c r c on 23 August and TRAKPAK still indicates it is stuck in Singapore. Must be luck of the draw.
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

battler2

Postby battler2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:29 pm

i think we should rename this thread title to 'Online purchases - whining about trakpak'

in other news, bikebug went good on my 8 boxes of clif bars, sent only two via express initially, then a week later the remaining 6. now what am i going to do with 8 boxes? :P

oh and the expiry dates are june 16, so plenty of time to eat them, or cryogenically freeze them for future generations.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:08 pm

dalai47 wrote:My current order placed last Thursday with Wiggle is in Melbourne so am expecting it today. Was free shipping being sent DHL...
Trialed the currently free Parcel Point option. I'd ordered wheels and didn't want such a bulky item delivered to work as they are tolerant but not excited with a lot of deliveries going to reception. Item arrived on Monday and was expecting an email / SMS saying it was ready to pick up. Didn't hear anything but saw item was signed for so dropped in this morning. Issue was nowhere on the box did it display my name so the newsagents couldn't see who to contact.

Overall happy with Wiggle offering this option though and will use again if they don't charge too much for the service.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:53 pm

In addition to local retailers, I have many times this past 12 months also used overseas retailers with their free postage option. Aside from 1 occasion from Probikekit (another story) delivery is normally around 2 weeks but always less than 3 weeks. Irrespective of the number of days it may specifically state in the small print, I am satisfied with this arrangement on delivery and cost.

It isn't possible to have deliveries to work therefore since I also live only 5 mins drive from the local post office, I prefer retailers (local and overseas) who use Auspost for final delivery to the house. This works for me.

idler

Postby idler » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Picked up today from reading Wiggle facebook page that they are in the middle of moving warehouses and are experiencing shipping delays and other problems (missing items in shipments for example). Maybe best to avoid for a while until they get their act together.

fil_farina

Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby fil_farina » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Wiggle have been moving warehouses for months now; must be a bloody big one!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:26 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Just placed an order for 2 x twin pack of Vittoria SC 25mm tyres from Ribble. $170 delivered with their current 10% discount and free shipping. Good deal IMO. Lets see how it goes.
I forgot to say that the tyres arrived on Wednesday. 17 days. A little tardy.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:25 am

Ordered from bikebug on the 20th. Still nothing. Sent an email to them so let's see

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:00 pm

idler wrote:Picked up today from reading Wiggle facebook page that they are in the middle of moving warehouses and are experiencing shipping delays and other problems (missing items in shipments for example). Maybe best to avoid for a while until they get their act together.
Ordered two weeks ago from Wiggle,arrived four days ago.No probs.

Funny how this thread has basically degenerated into complaining about Wiggle/c r c/random others delivery times (as opposed to actual customer service issues),yet no mention of that protected-species known as Ribble.In my experiences Ribble's delivery times are consistently a touch slower than Wiggle,though still well within acceptable limits.

Oh,and for something completely different - recently dealt with Jenson USA,fantastic service there. :)
formerly the fat climber

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:20 am

I think it's because ribble don't promise to be fast whereas wiggle not only promised it, but used to be fast

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:10 am

jasonc wrote:I think it's because ribble don't promise to be fast whereas wiggle not only promised it, but used to be fast
Probikekit was once very,very fast - I used to order on a Thursday or Friday,have it on a Tuesday. Every order. Once they did better and I had it on the Monday after ordering. Fantasyland stuff now. Mind you,they were once competitive on price too...

Ribble state delivery times as 6 - 12 days for Rest of the world,so not really any different than everyone else's standard time frame.
formerly the fat climber

idler

Postby idler » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:15 am

Also I think the provision of a tracking service has actually been counter productive in that you can see that their provider just doesn't move stuff for days in either their UK or Singapore depots. When Wiggle used Royal Mail they delivered consistently within one week - now it is two to three weeks unless you pay for DHL. It is the expectation of quick delivery that is missed.

I agree about Ribble - they can be very slow in dispatch and delivery, but everyone was aware of that. Wiggle used to have the competitive edge even though they were a little bit more expensive because delivery was faster. Now Ribble is usually cheaper and delivery times are about the same so I am using them a lot more.
Last edited by idler on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:16 am

wiggle state 10 days. so agree it's not that different. but 12 working days could add an extra weekend to the timeframe

idler

Postby idler » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:19 am

jasonc wrote:wiggle state 10 days. so agree it's not that different. but 12 working days could add an extra weekend to the timeframe
Sometimes they say 10 working days sometimes 7 working days - their confirmation emails and their order record screens still promise delivery within 7 working days. Some pre-checkout screens also state 7 days delivery. It is their customer service people who are really pushing the 10 working days line.

2ndeffort

Postby 2ndeffort » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Muzza72 wrote:Probikekit was once very,very fast - I used to order on a Thursday or Friday,have it on a Tuesday. Every order. Once they did better and I had it on the Monday after ordering. Fantasyland stuff now. Mind you,they were once competitive on price too...
I have noticed this too. I am sick of getting emails from them offering me a 10% off coupon and some crazy mad flash sale with unbelievable bargains....only to log on and find they aren't cheap even after the 10% off.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:50 pm

jaseyjase wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:Order from c r c and Merlin, trying out their DHL options. Under the threshold from Merlin, over the threshold from c r c, i dont think it should make a difference as ive paid for DHL, $25 each.

27/8 - 1pm (perth time), Ordered from both c r c and Merlin at the same time
27/8 - 7pm/9pm (perth time), both have been dispatched Merlin/c r c respectively.

Im gonna assume their gonna be on the same plane so will be interesting to see if they arrive together or not.
Clarifying, c r c is DHL express, Merlin uses RoyalMail Air priority.

29/8 - c r c order arrives in Perth
31/8 - No updates from Merlins order
31/8 - c r c order arrives via DHL
7/9 - Merlin order arrives, 10 days and 7 working days. So within what they say of 4-8 working days, but piss poor for the extra postage paid.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:00 pm

rusty842 wrote:Ordered from bikebug on the 20th. Still nothing. Sent an email to them so let's see
Got a reply today.

Basically saying it would all be shipped out today.

I replied asking why it had taken some 11+ days to process the order

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:47 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Placed a c r c order last night for some mtb parts. Still no sign of the Ribble order yet
The c r c order arrived yesterday. 11 days isn't to bad.

hosko

Postby hosko » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Well back on the bike after a bit of hiatus so thought the bike could do with some new tyres.

Ordered yesterday from Ribble (2 pack of Conti Hardshells for under $100) no one else could come near their price so if it takes an extra week...no real problem.

Order status says that it is now at warehouse waiting for pickup...will wait and see how long before they arrive :)
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Pushys - lights ordered 8:30am yesterday, delivered 7;30am today.
hosko wrote:Ordered yesterday from Ribble (2 pack of Conti Hardshells for under $100) no one else could come near their price so if it takes an extra week...no real problem.
I also buy my tyres from Ribble - usually 7 business days to Sydney.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:02 pm

holding out for a ribble 10% off code, seems to come up every 2nd week, currently in the 'off period', just emails with alleged sales of their cheap carbon frames :(

in the meantime, worked out how to guaranteed get DHL delivery on wiggle orders. just order something extremely large (like rims, or wheels), and they'll ship it with DHL (and maybe put your other stuff in the box as well).

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:18 am

Never buying bikebug again