Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

jaseyjase

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:57 pm

jaseyjase wrote:EvansCycles - took advantage of their 50% off clothing, picked up some bibshorts, shoes, cap and gloves

16/11 - ordered
17/11 - dispatched via DHL
20/11 - Arrived

Pretty happy with that :D

had to email Attaquer to confirm dispatch which was a little weird as my previous notifications were automated, so not sure when they actually went out

In other news, some bits from c r c, nike compression tops and some mtb pedals

19/11 - ordered
19/11 - dispatched

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:48 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Most people don't do this, particularly with smaller independent shops. With larger retailers such as Harvey Norman this may be more common.

However often shop keepers will complain if a customer doesn't purchase and attribute this to purchasing online which doesn't take into account that a person was just browsing or genuinely not committed to a purchasing product.

A very genuine question, as a shopper if you know you can purchase an item online and get it for 40% online and get it quite fast, or you can go to a shop where they may not have it, it takes ages or the staff are rude then it becomes attractive to buy online. Of course there are risks to buying online and shops can offer advantages which online retail are not able to.

But I would argue that it is the responsibility of the bike shop to be competitive and engage their customers and it is completely wrong that a customer feels that they have an obligation to buy from a bike shop to pay their overheads and wages.

The retail market it changing and if you see the number of successful local bike shops out there, they know how to do business, how to compete and how to add value for their customers without taking them on a guilt trip.

Look at the number of successful Australian based online bike shops - they compete with bricks and mortar but you still get your 'Aussie Jobs' - none the less it is easy for some brands to complain about online shops even though their own products are available in these shops - and otherwise they are still only providing help to make shopping at the local bike shop for customers more attractive.

(And being polite as possible - I suggest putting your text through a spell-checker to fix some of the glaring errors.)

Christopher
Well Thanks for your response from an ADMIN person. OMGosh, if the fact the my spelling was not right but you still understood my message is important to you...well I most vehemently think, with respect, is a superfluous comment. Anyway, your response, with respect did not refer to ANYTHING I said of relevance to the ecconic issue. No hard feeling but you have offered a response which has offered no response to the pertinent point of my post . Cheers

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:46 pm

HairyDropBear wrote:No hard feeling but you have offered a response which has offered no response to the pertinent point of my post
No problems if you have a different view. This is the beauty of the discussion forum. In this case however responded specifically to your post and in fact have a fair bit of experience in this field through my profession and as the co-author of a bicycling industry trade report which covered exactly the topic of Australian cyclists shopping behaviour.

As Top_Bhoy notes, it is an old, tired and weary debate which has been discussed time and time again for many years in this forum and other cycling websites.

I feel that my answer may appear to be irrelevant to you as it was not in agreement with your views.
Cycling is in my BNA

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Here's some food for thought - why would I want to shop at some LBS's when they not only offer poor service, but they actually list products at above the RRP the manufacturer/wholesaler lists....

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:41 pm

Ordered a Garmin VIRB elite from Amazon last Monday morning ($250). Was delivered to my work last Thursday arvo via a parcel forwarding service ($50). Really can't complain about that! :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:33 am

HairyDropBear wrote:Well here is my "balls n all" opinion .... and from a very newbie at that. If everyone had a conscience and negatiated with their local retailer, yes you may still pay a little more but you are least supporting Aussie jobs. I find it the epitome of out right rudeness that you take up all the time of a shop to seek their "free" advise, then turn around and buy the same thing on line. Shops have overheads, rent, utilities, very high wage rates particularly over weekends which none of these on line stores have. Small business is dying in Australia and no doubt other places because of this practice, so if you do this, and you, son/daughter, grandchildren cant get decent jobs, before you look to Government and winge...Look what you have done to help in creating jobs...NOTHING

Rand Over....I feel so much "lighter" now. Ha Ha
Too bad.

We live in a country with very high wages and an excellent lifestyle. By choice.

It's our own fault, so people need to get over it and deal.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:29 pm

I am under the impression that buying online help keep jobs of local posties and courier companies. If the local bike shop closes, another shop will open, which means new shop provides local jobs - which is more likely will employ more people than the previous occupant (a bike shop).

I have given up on the local bike shop that is only 2 km away from where I work. When I had a problem with my Stages Power meter, the Stages Support told me to grab some battery doors from that local bike shop. Local bike shop wants to charge me $10 for the item they did not buy from Stages and was provided to them as buffer stock for riders like me.

In the past, I regularly visit this shop even if I don't need anything. I always buy something before stepping out of the shop door to make sure I don't waste their time and space. Even if its just a tube that they are selling for $10 or a jersey that I don't really need. And like others have said, rant over :)

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 pm

I understand the sentiment and I must admit..I had a coupla froffies when I provided my first reponse to Admin.. Sorry about that!! Yes, we do have very high wages and the whole economic (economics) debate about this is extensive. To some of the comments...do not ever support bad service..ever, and whilst Admin think it is a tired argument, well it may be tired, but the facts are not tired. They keep comming in and in and in... and the facts, not the arguement is pertinent. It is not your LBS fault that is to blame for the exchange rate, the fact (sic) that a China man will work for a bowl of rice a day, even that the world is full of corruption from politics through to many one the street. Its not even their fault that our work ethics/industrial policies are up !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! creek. It is what it is. The point I will take to my grave (hopefully not too soon), do not ever support bad service or expoilative (sorry if I spelt it wrong)pricing...but support jobs to best of your financial ability. rant over...till next time

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:36 am

HairyDropBear wrote: It is not your LBS fault that is to blame for the exchange rate
No, but my LBS doesn't have a website that facilitates me easily seeing what they have in stock which will be niche for them, nor do they have the facilities to do online transactions or shipping and require me to go into the store. As my LBS closes at 6pm and doesn't open till 9am when exactly am I meant to pop in mid-week to grab the items I need?

The alternative is more attractive as the range is larger and I get it delivered to me at work after ordering it from my work PC. So price isn't this huge factor you make it out to be, it's the convenience and breadth of the products online gives me over LBS. There's nothing worse than popping into a store, asking for something and being told they don't have it in stock but can order it (which will no doubt be slower than if I grabbed it online).

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Should be interesting.

Wiggle, Merlin and Evans orders placed tonight. Which will get here 1st?

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:08 am

Not online but a bricks and mortar shop experience. I wanted some parts (not bike parts but sorta bike related) the other week and so went to see the local B&M shop. They didn't have the parts I wanted in stock but could order them in. They do orders on Monday and I was there on a Tuesday so had to wait a week before the parts were even ordered. Parts were worth RRP nearly $500 so not insignificant. Why couldn't they order the parts daily? We do at my work, or at least give customers the option. I could of got on the internet and ordered the parts myself, had them within a few days and probably cheaper.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:16 am

I had a good experience with Ribble the other week. Ordered some parts and just over a month went past and they hadn't arrived. So I emailed the customer service representitive who replied overnight saying they must of got lost in the mail and unfortunately one of the parts I wanted was NLA so couldn't resend so offered me a full refund instead. No quibbling, just actioned my query and resolved it pretty much straight away. Not Ribble's fault the courier lost the parts but they covered the cost anyway.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:53 am

Had a good experience with Chain Reaction and Trakpak: I ordered some wire bead tyres and bar tape on 19/11. Arrived this morning, 7 working days later which I think is good. Huge box for the tyres which were very good value plus free shipping :shock: Trakpak website was pretty glitchy, but tracking continued into Australia and I could see what Auspost was doing with my package.

HairyDropBear

Postby HairyDropBear » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Ignoto wrote:
HairyDropBear wrote: It is not your LBS fault that is to blame for the exchange rate
No, but my LBS doesn't have a website that facilitates me easily seeing what they have in stock which will be niche for them, nor do they have the facilities to do online transactions or shipping and require me to go into the store. As my LBS closes at 6pm and doesn't open till 9am when exactly am I meant to pop in mid-week to grab the items I need?

The alternative is more attractive as the range is larger and I get it delivered to me at work after ordering it from my work PC. So price isn't this huge factor you make it out to be, it's the convenience and breadth of the products online gives me over LBS. There's nothing worse than popping into a store, asking for something and being told they don't have it in stock but can order it (which will no doubt be slower than if I grabbed it online).
Sorry my friend, I WAS NOT the one hammering away about pricing.. Read previous posts

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:30 pm

jaseyjase wrote: In other news, some bits from c r c, nike compression tops and some mtb pedals

19/11 - ordered
19/11 - dispatched
1/12 - arrived

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:12 pm

I haven't ordered from Wiggle for while so when did the minimum spend for free delivery rise to $99 from $80?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:20 pm

biker jk wrote:I haven't ordered from Wiggle for while so when did the minimum spend for free delivery rise to $99 from $80?
Err, I`ve missed it. I think that it might have increased it today. But when I`ve checked the Wiggle UK site and it said free delivery on over $80 but alas I`ve checked the Wiggle AU site,that stated free delivery on over $99. What the bleep?

Try to buy from UK site and see what happens. Hope it don`t increase it at a later date.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
biker jk wrote:I haven't ordered from Wiggle for while so when did the minimum spend for free delivery rise to $99 from $80?
Err, I`ve missed it. I think that it might have increased it today. But when I`ve checked the Wiggle UK site and it said free delivery on over $80 but alas I`ve checked the Wiggle AU site,that stated free delivery on over $99. What the bleep?

Try to buy from UK site and see what happens. Hope it don`t increase it at a later date.
I purchased from the UK site (which said $80 at the top of the page) but was actually $99 when I placed items in the basket. So Wiggle have now both raised the minimum spend for free delivery and shifted to an inferior courier (TrakPak).

Shadyone

Postby Shadyone » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Not a Wiggle problem but they haven't exactly helped to resolve anything.

I paid extra for Parcel Point delivery to my local NEwsagent. Followed package for 8 days until it was out for delivery to the parcel location and then saw this...CUSTOMER REFUSED TO ACCEPT DELIVERY...Say What? Called the newsagent and between ordering and delivery they decided that Parcel Point was too much hassle and stopped doing it the week before...... 2 weeks later, still no package and getting three different stories from Australia Post/Wiggle/Parcel Point...
I thought Wiggle would take a more active role to resolve the issue but I get a single sentence response 2-3 days after emailing. Hence why I;m looking at other online retailers.
Trek 4.7

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:49 pm

I`ve ordered 2x SIS GO Electrolyte Blackcurrant powder 1.6kg tubs, 8x High5 Zero Berry 20 tabs tubes and 2x DHB socks from wiggle on 27/11/15.

Ignored the TrakPak. Missed delivery last Saturday at 7.01am. Card left at door. I put leave at door in my order but lucky it didn`t. First time of delivery on Saturday from AusPost, might be due to xmas. Not home due to family problem.
Picked up at Post Office today at 11.29am.
From AusPost tracking

*edit* useless TrakPak info added at 6.47pm.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:12 pm

T7 - ordered some elbow pads and a barlfy mtb garmin mount

10/12 - ordered
11/12 - shipped

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:17 pm

TheWall wrote:Should be interesting.

Wiggle, Merlin and Evans orders placed tonight. Which will get here 1st?
All orders on 29th...

Arrived:
Evans 6th
Wiggle 9th
Merlin TBA...
Ross wrote:Not online but a bricks and mortar shop experience. I wanted some parts (not bike parts but sorta bike related) the other week and so went to see the local B&M shop. They didn't have the parts I wanted in stock but could order them in. They do orders on Monday and I was there on a Tuesday so had to wait a week before the parts were even ordered. Parts were worth RRP nearly $500 so not insignificant. Why couldn't they order the parts daily? We do at my work, or at least give customers the option. I could of got on the internet and ordered the parts myself, had them within a few days and probably cheaper.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Ordered two Elite Custom Race cages for $10 each from Bicycles Online on November 30. Free delivery and free water bottle. Delivered December 13. Great price and wasn't in a hurry for delivery so happy with the transaction.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Boognoss wrote:Trailgumby mentioned my rule-breaking saddle and bar tape issue a week-ish ago and it's been bothering me since.

This:

Plus about to order this:

"should" be OK.
So on Thursday night last week (17th Dec) I pulled the trigger on the saddle above and some other bits and pieces with c r c using DHL Express to ensure it arrived before Christmas.

It was delivered today. Sunday!!! 20/12. Without any extra prompting, requesting or paying. I am mightily chuffed with that service given that it was my home address and the one other time I've used DHL to home rather than my work address it was carded and I collected from the depot myself the next day.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:26 am

Ordered from Bikebug at lunchtime yesterday December 23 - free delivery arrived this morning December 24 at 7:30am. The parcel arrived before the email telling me to expect the delivery today...