Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

rodneycc

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby rodneycc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 am

First real online overseas purchase from Merlin since the gst changes. Not real happy about it to be honest.
Round figures
Pirelli p zero velo tyre $50
Cinelli vollee bar tape $21
Delivery $9
Total $80
Gst $8
Total $88

So they include the delivery in the gst as well which I didn't know.

Delivery plus gst is $17 out of a $70 order!

Nobody else seem to have both items in stock. Would of went with bikebug which was $60 for the tyre plus $10 delivery but didn't have the tape I wanted and would have been about the same. But the Aust shops are looking a lot more competitive now with that gst on.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 am

Bought a Rudy Project Wing57 helmet from Rudy on Sunday and was waiting for me when I got home Thursday. $99 instead of $399, gotta be happy with the price and service. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:58 am

rodneycc wrote: Delivery plus gst is $17 out of a $70 order!
$17 is pretty cheap really to ship something from the other side of the world. Bike Bug charge $14.90 and Pushys $12 just to ship to places in Australia.

It is pretty clear on Melin's website when you are placing the order what the charges are so you can make an informed decision before actually committing to buying.

Or you could jump in your car and drive to your LBS, spending x hours doing this instead of other stuff like spending time with your family (or going riding), using x litres of fuel, paying $x for parking and then find they don't have half the bits you want and the bits they do have are 2.5 times the price of what you can buy from UK for.

You could of bought a few extra bits such as spare tubes from Merlin to get the price up over $91.25 to get free shipping :idea:

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:05 am

Ross wrote:
rodneycc wrote: Delivery plus gst is $17 out of a $70 order!
$17 is pretty cheap really to ship something from the other side of the world. Bike Bug charge $14.90 and Pushys $12 just to ship to places in Australia.

It is pretty clear on Melin's website when you are placing the order what the charges are so you can make an informed decision before actually committing to buying.

Or you could jump in your car and drive to your LBS, spending x hours doing this instead of other stuff like spending time with your family (or going riding), using x litres of fuel, paying $x for parking and then find they don't have half the bits you want and the bits they do have are 2.5 times the price of what you can buy from UK for.

You could of bought a few extra bits such as spare tubes from Merlin to get the price up over $91.25 to get free shipping :idea:
Was my first order with the online gst tacked on so that was why the shock hit me. I didn't mind paying the $9.13 or whatever it was but with the extra $7 gst and Merlin displays it in a weird way which I initially thought the gst was included in the $70 but it was an extra $7 which I only saw when going through PayPal and I almost changed my mind buying at that point.

To make matters worst I stupidly paid PayPal with my credit card instead of bank account which charged me another $2.60 international trans fee (been caught a couple of times with this).

They are only small amounts but kind of annoying.

And yes I knew I could pay a bit extra for free delivery but how many spare tubes, brake pads, chains, other crap do you need. The spares box in my house is getting a little ridiculous :-)

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:40 pm

What's the go with Wiggle? I keep on getting emails telling me I need to spend $x to maintain my platinum discount. I was lured in by last months email and thinking it must be an annual spend amount I purchased the required amount of goods. Tonight I received another email advising me I need to spend $x in the next 28 days to maintain my platinum discount. Sorry Wiggle your prices and availability are not what they used to be. Now with the additional requirement my discount is not worth the spend.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 am

rodneycc wrote:To make matters worst I stupidly paid PayPal with my credit card instead of bank account which charged me another $2.60 international trans fee (been caught a couple of times with this).
Get a better credit card (one without international fees) and then tell PayPal to let your bank do the conversion. Problem solved.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:35 pm

hamishm wrote:
rodneycc wrote:To make matters worst I stupidly paid PayPal with my credit card instead of bank account which charged me another $2.60 international trans fee (been caught a couple of times with this).
Get a better credit card (one without international fees) and then tell PayPal to let your bank do the conversion. Problem solved.
Or just pick the right option of my bank account when purchasing through PayPal :-) Got too much stuff hooked up to my Visa so that won't change anytime soon. Btw it was the bank (CBA) charging the fee rather than PayPal - my fat fingers just picked the wrong option.

BJL

Postby BJL » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 pm

rodneycc wrote: Btw it was the bank (CBA) charging the fee rather than PayPal
Gee, the CBA is getting a bit brazen these days. Charging fees to the living! :lol:

Okay,

I ordered some parts from Wiggle last Monday (15/10/2018). They showed up today. A bit miffed at the AusPost website as I was out today and tried to change the delivery option last night but the website was 'undergoing maintenance'. Somehow it went through and they delivered it as requested. I was expecting to have to go to the post office and get it.

I'm a bit surprised actually. My first Wiggle order about 18 months ago took two weeks to arrive. Bike24 early this year took only a week and so did this. Now to get off my butt and fix up the bike for this summer. Maybe tomorrow.

:)

BobtheBuilder

Postby BobtheBuilder » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Ross wrote:Or you could jump in your car and drive to your LBS
Maybe if you rode there with your family you could a) save money, b) go riding, c) spend time with the family.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:27 pm

Bought a Blackburn rack online from 99 bikes. Cheapest I could find it given the overseas shipping costs for a bulky item. Bought and paid for yesterday (Wednesday) 7pm. Delivered to my door (Brisbane suburbs) Today (Thursday) 4pm. Free shipping too!

metalrideroz

Postby metalrideroz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44 am

First time ordering from http://www.bike-components.de
They have many shimano smalls and spare parts not available elsewhere. Less than 24h dispatch. Would recommend if you order enough to absorb the 20 euro postage cost.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:41 pm

I have used Openroad Cycles a couple of times recently, for some Castelli jerseys and a Tri suit. I have to say i was very impressed all round. I was initially drawn in by the pricing (i wanted a Gabba and a Perfetto, neither of which are budget jerseys) and their price was the best i found anywhere. For my first order i was a bit sceptical and expected to wait a coupe of weeks for delivery, but the package showed up with me in Perth on day 3 after ordering and everything was as described.

I then ordered a Castelli Tri suit and a climbers jersey, which also arrived super fast, but the climbers jersey was way too small (i bought the same XL i use in their other jerseys and wanted a tight fit). The guy on the phone could not have been more helpful and talked me through the other options and the return process for the jersey i did not want. They even sent the replacement out before my return got back to them, so all good with me.

It does look like they have some previous years models and maybe that's why the price is good, but i am not a latest model year snob, just happy to have some quality riding gear.

https://www.openroadcycles.com.au/

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 pm

colinmc400 wrote:I have used Openroad Cycles a couple of times recently, for some Castelli jerseys and a Tri suit. I have to say i was very impressed all round. I was initially drawn in by the pricing (i wanted a Gabba and a Perfetto, neither of which are budget jerseys) and their price was the best i found anywhere. For my first order i was a bit sceptical and expected to wait a coupe of weeks for delivery, but the package showed up with me in Perth on day 3 after ordering and everything was as described.

I then ordered a Castelli Tri suit and a climbers jersey, which also arrived super fast, but the climbers jersey was way too small (i bought the same XL i use in their other jerseys and wanted a tight fit). The guy on the phone could not have been more helpful and talked me through the other options and the return process for the jersey i did not want. They even sent the replacement out before my return got back to them, so all good with me.

It does look like they have some previous years models and maybe that's why the price is good, but i am not a latest model year snob, just happy to have some quality riding gear.

https://www.openroadcycles.com.au/
2nd this one. Best online purchase I have ever made (and backed up by phone support) and easy return process to help get sizing right.

alittlewino

Postby alittlewino » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:25 am

rodneycc wrote:..... Would of went with bikebug which was $60 for the tyre plus $10 delivery .......
will never ever buy from this outfit again - not a bleat but be warned - purchased blue Lizard Skins 2.5mm bar tape RRP now $45, paid $25 on special which was nice - 20 rides in gently ridden with soft gloves and the skin is wearing off leaving an unsightly lighter colour underneath

contacted Bikebug pointing out it was either defective or not durable - was told by David Walsh "that bar tape is over two year old, we can't really submit that as a warranty sorry." - repeated that bike is stored indoors and about 20 rides of 2-2.5hrs and requested refund under ACL,basically got ignored

took to ACL and am advised David told them lasted a reasonable time (20 rides is obviously a reasonable time)

if it was more $$ I would take to small claims - be warned you won't get a fair hearing from this crowd if you have a problem
and if you want bar tape to last do not buy this product - I should have checked the feedback before purchasing

small beer but behaviour speaks spades - never see me again even if I pay more elsewhere

at least they published my 1 star review

since purchased Cinelli tape elsewhere in the colour I want - hope it lasts

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:22 am

BikeBug aside, what is it with lizard skin tape - 2 of my bikes with it on has done exactly the same thing after only a short amount of time. I am actually starting to think its designed to shed its skin like a lizard?? Kind of bizarre product which I will never use again.

borat

Postby borat » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:19 pm

i contacted lizard skins directly and they sent me a replacement tape. i sold it immediately.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:54 pm

c r c, ordered two hauls, within a week of each other

#1 - some TLD shorts and a seat post, free postage
20/11 - ordered
21/11 - dispatched
28/11 - arrived

7 days from dispatch, awesome

#2 - headset, bars, stem, grips, clamp, free postage
23/11 - ordered
24/11 - dispatched
29/11 - notice of arrival

5 days from dispatch, awesomer!

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:20 am

alittlewino wrote:
rodneycc wrote:..... Would of went with bikebug which was $60 for the tyre plus $10 delivery .......
will never ever buy from this outfit again - not a bleat but be warned - purchased blue Lizard Skins 2.5mm bar tape RRP now $45, paid $25 on special which was nice - 20 rides in gently ridden with soft gloves and the skin is wearing off leaving an unsightly lighter colour underneath

contacted Bikebug pointing out it was either defective or not durable - was told by David Walsh "that bar tape is over two year old, we can't really submit that as a warranty sorry."
Wait, you did 20 rides over two years and you want a warranty replacement for your bar tape?!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Been waiting for Pushys to get battery caps for Powertap pedals in. Turned up just after they had a free shipping sale. Bugger, so added enough consumables to get free shipping and ordered.

Next day, Pushys had 12% off sale, so I emailed, asking to cancel that order. Stating I would reorder, with another Rock'n'roll degreaser, roughly same price, free shipping but more stuff for me.

Next day order shipped, A couple of days later an email from Pushy's later saying sorry missed your email, but we will credit you 12% of your order. I said yes.

A few days later order arrived, with the extra Rock'n'roll degreaser I requested.

So emailed Pushys saying, all is good, don't need the credit. Their reply, you can keep it.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:00 pm

I was in a similar situation with Pushys. Placed an order on Saturday pm and the next day they had free shipping. I emailed them and they gave me a store credit for the shipping cost. Good customer service.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 am

I just ordered some handlebar shims from Amazon.com now they are shipping to Australia again. Cost me $27 delivered. Same item on Amazon.com.au would have cost me $40. But it had free delivery.......

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I just ordered some handlebar shims from Amazon.com now they are shipping to Australia again. Cost me $27 delivered. Same item on Amazon.com.au would have cost me $40. But it had free delivery.......
Must be shiny and made of expensium for $27 to be good value :shock:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:49 pm

It better be. It's being used to fit bars that I won for free off Instagram :D

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:53 pm

c r c - some tyres, grips and disc brake mount adapters

4/12 - ordered
5/12 - dispatched
13/12 - arrived

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Wiggle fined by ACCC for misleading customers as to their rights:

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/w ... fl-qLuAL5k
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi