Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

petal665

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby petal665 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:56 am

Did an order from bicyclestore.com.au last month.

There were some obvious pricing errors, 400ml Rock'n'roll lube for the same price as 100ml. I bought one of each type and a 500g tub of Dura-ace grease for the price of a 50g tub. I fully expected the order to be cancelled, had no problem with that.

Throughout the next day, I got several email stating the DA grease and all but 1 of the lubes were out of stock. I had a friend inquire about the grease over the phone, and low and behold it was in stock.

I don't mind them cancelling my order as a result of a pricing error, but lying about stock levels is a bit low.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:35 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:My c r c order finally showed up on Monday. 1 month after I placed the order :mad:
I have tonight, 12/11, placed an order with PBK for 2 x Clement X'plor MSO tyres. Shipping was the basic free option. Based on experience from the dim, dark, past, I'm not expecting them to show up until Christmas.
The order showed up today :shock: 16 days for PBK is the fastest I've experienced.
An order that I placed with Ribblecycles also turned up today. Basic free shipping with the order placed in the 14/11. So 14 days for that.
I'm really interested in those tyres. Can you post a review of them on the forum at some point soon?
Thanks
Andrew

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 am

Bikebug good. My first online experience with them. Definitely use again.

Ordered after hours Friday night with a North Sydney store pickup. Phoned Monday morning, they advised it would be ready after 4:30pm that day. It was - now I have an Edge 1000 and K-Edge XL mounts :D .
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

fil_farina

Postby fil_farina » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 pm

Wiggle. Ordered Friday 7pm CDST. Arrived today. Tuesday 7am CDST, to regional SA. Impossible to beat that IMO, all from the UK!!

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:22 pm

first time buying from merlin, wheels say they were sent to aus on 25/11. a week or so in the air seems a bit long but not silly. The status of "Definitely missing" is a bit concerning.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:06 pm

tubby74 wrote:first time buying from merlin, wheels say they were sent to aus on 25/11. a week or so in the air seems a bit long but not silly. The status of "Definitely missing" is a bit concerning.
Went through exactly the same thing. Had an 8 day period where the tracking didn't update at all then BOOM it updated randomly on a Friday afternoon to say it's in country of destination. I got the wheels today, so it took Fri-Monday to get from Sydney to Brisbane. Overall, pretty disappointed in their tracking and delivery times (spent two days sitting on their "line") for something that expensive.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:39 pm

Muzza72 wrote:How 'bout "weirdest online experiences"?

Bought some Rock n Roll lube off eBay last weekend (Sunday the 23nd),paid for it straight away. Last Monday got an email with a Aus Post tracking number,item coming from Melbourne to Lithgow NSW. Updates go like this:

Mon 24 Nov 2014 16:14 - Shipping information received by Australia Post
Tue 25 Nov 2014 11:09 - Processed through Australia Post facility SUNSHINE WEST VIC
Wed 26 Nov 2014 07:38 - Processed through Australia Post facility CHULLORA NSW
Mon 01 Dec 2014 09:01 - Processed through Australia Post facility WELSHPOOL WA

WT???? Had expected to pick up last Friday,now looks like a long wait while it does a lap of the map!

I have had a parcel coming from Mel to Syd go Mel - Bne (air), then to Ipswich, Katoomba, Seven Hills, Syd.

I sometimes wonder about the logistics that makes it economical to do that!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:26 pm

queequeg wrote:

Bought some Rock n Roll lube off eBay last weekend (Sunday the 23nd),paid for it straight away. Last Monday got an email with a Aus Post tracking number,item coming from Melbourne to Lithgow NSW. Updates go like this:

Tue 25 Nov 2014 11:09 - Processed through Australia Post facility SUNSHINE WEST VIC

WT???? Had expected to pick up last Friday,now looks like a long wait while it does a lap of the map!

I have had a parcel coming from Mel to Syd go Mel - Bne (air), then to Ipswich, Katoomba, Seven Hills, Syd.

Do you know if yours was an Aus Post error or a sender error? I'm taking a guess that mine ended up in Perth by mistake,though until I sight the parcel I'll not know. I emailed the seller who helpfully replied "Looks like it's still being processed"! Yep,thanks for that!

Latest tracking: Mon 01 Dec 2014 17:39 - Processed through Australia Post facility WELSHPOOL WA
formerly the fat climber

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 pm

Muzza72 wrote:
queequeg wrote:

Do you know if yours was an Aus Post error or a sender error? I'm taking a guess that mine ended up in Perth by mistake,though until I sight the parcel I'll not know. I emailed the seller who helpfully replied "Looks like it's still being processed"! Yep,thanks for that!

Latest tracking: Mon 01 Dec 2014 17:39 - Processed through Australia Post facility WELSHPOOL WA
There was no indication it was an error. It went from MEL to BNE on a plane, then immediately got put on a truck back to Sydney, via Ipswich and Katoomba.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:18 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:My c r c order finally showed up on Monday. 1 month after I placed the order :mad:
I have tonight, 12/11, placed an order with PBK for 2 x Clement X'plor MSO tyres. Shipping was the basic free option. Based on experience from the dim, dark, past, I'm not expecting them to show up until Christmas.
The order showed up today :shock: 16 days for PBK is the fastest I've experienced.
An order that I placed with Ribblecycles also turned up today. Basic free shipping with the order placed in the 14/11. So 14 days for that.
I'm really interested in those tyres. Can you post a review of them on the forum at some point soon?
Thanks
Andrew
Keep an eye on this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=80027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've buggered my back so it will be a few weeks until I can make a report.

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:09 pm

queequeg wrote:
There was no indication it was an error. It went from MEL to BNE on a plane, then immediately got put on a truck back to Sydney, via Ipswich and Katoomba.
Well-traveled,if nothing else. :wink:
formerly the fat climber

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:06 pm

petal665 wrote:Did an order from bicyclestore.com.au last month.

There were some obvious pricing errors, 400ml Rock'n'roll lube for the same price as 100ml. I bought one of each type and a 500g tub of Dura-ace grease for the price of a 50g tub. I fully expected the order to be cancelled, had no problem with that.

Throughout the next day, I got several email stating the DA grease and all but 1 of the lubes were out of stock. I had a friend inquire about the grease over the phone, and low and behold it was in stock.

I don't mind them cancelling my order as a result of a pricing error, but lying about stock levels is a bit low.

If bicyclestore.com.au choose deceptive tactics to cover-up mistakes this is disappointing but I also feel that this approach will rub-off on their reputation, or rather, rub-off their reputation.

Lets help out this store with the correct approach to rectifying your own errors. How is it done?
Call the customer and admit error and make a concession. This could be offering something extra for free, or lowering the price. This is a customer friendly approach that provides the customer with some benefit but also creates a much fairer arrangement so that the retailer doesn't lose significantly.
Cycling is in my BNA

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:16 am

I had a pretty average dealing with a LBS. I wanted to buy a bike accessory and found it on a high profile online bike shop in Qld. Part was $209 and freight to me was $84. Thought I might give the LBS (which is sort of affilliated with the Qld online shop) a chance so rang them up and said I want to buy this part, do you have one, or can you get it and how much $$$? Young guy who answered the phone said he will have to check and put me on hold for a couple of minutes. He came back and said they don't have one but have these two other varients. No, I said, definitely want the part I asked you for. Oh you are best to buy it online was the reply. :roll: I asked, again, if they could order one in, I'm not really in a hurry for it, but I need to find out the price first, don't mind paying a bit extra than online but not too much. He went away to check and never came back. FFS, I'm trying to help the shop out by spending ~$300 with them but trying to even get a price let alone actually order the thing was proving quite difficult, so I didn't bother phoning them back, I just ordered online. Bang. Less than 30 secs it was done. There's only so much I can do to help LBS. I don't think I will bother anymore.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I know which LBS you're talking about, and I'm pretty sure that after three visits and attendance at the RTW day breakfast they ran, I'll not intentionally grace their presence again... I almost think they train their staff to be as unhelpful and uninterested as they can be.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:37 pm

Ross wrote:I had a pretty average dealing with a LBS. I wanted to buy a bike accessory and found it on a high profile online bike shop in Qld. Part was $209 and freight to me was $84. Thought I might give the LBS (which is sort of affilliated with the Qld online shop) a chance so rang them up and said I want to buy this part, do you have one, or can you get it and how much $$$? Young guy who answered the phone said he will have to check and put me on hold for a couple of minutes. He came back and said they don't have one but have these two other varients. No, I said, definitely want the part I asked you for. Oh you are best to buy it online was the reply. :roll: I asked, again, if they could order one in, I'm not really in a hurry for it, but I need to find out the price first, don't mind paying a bit extra than online but not too much. He went away to check and never came back. FFS, I'm trying to help the shop out by spending ~$300 with them but trying to even get a price let alone actually order the thing was proving quite difficult, so I didn't bother phoning them back, I just ordered online. Bang. Less than 30 secs it was done. There's only so much I can do to help LBS. I don't think I will bother anymore.
I wouldn't of even bothered from the begining.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:54 am

Bike24.de is very slow - not even a response to say the brakes I have ordered (at big cost) are being shipped. They've taken my money - but nothing else appears to have been done.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "nicht kundenorientiert" just yet, but I'm getting worried that they might not turn up.

Even worse, they don't have any tracking system on their website to see how the order is progressing. Very unusual.

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:44 pm

queequeg wrote: I have had a parcel coming from Mel to Syd go Mel - Bne (air), then to Ipswich, Katoomba, Seven Hills, Syd.

Muzza72 wrote: Do you know if yours was an Aus Post error or a sender error? I'm taking a guess that mine ended up in Perth by mistake,though until I sight the parcel I'll not know. I emailed the seller who helpfully replied "Looks like it's still being processed"! Yep,thanks for that!

queequeg wrote: There was no indication it was an error. It went from MEL to BNE on a plane, then immediately got put on a truck back to Sydney, via Ipswich and Katoomba.
Well,my parcel finally arrived today,after the unexplained diversion across the Nullarbor. Showing some signs of being well-traveled,though no indication of where it's been or why. Contents fine,which I guess is the main thing.

Looks like someone in the Chullora sorting centre had a bad day that day.
formerly the fat climber

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:53 pm

g-boaf wrote:Bike24.de is very slow - not even a response to say the brakes I have ordered (at big cost) are being shipped. They've taken my money - but nothing else appears to have been done.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "nicht kundenorientiert" just yet, but I'm getting worried that they might not turn up.

Even worse, they don't have any tracking system on their website to see how the order is progressing. Very unusual.
They are very slow in the delivery department. You should be able to at least see if the brakes have been dispatched as they usually send a confirmation email with the Deutsche Post DHL tracking number. Saying that, my tracking number search has not progressed beyond the German mail room in 13 days.

If they have not sent the Deutsche Post DHL tracking number to you then you should raise the alarm.

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Ross wrote:I had a pretty average dealing with a LBS.<snip>.
I'm stuffed if I can work out the mentality of some bike shops. With the amount of screaming going on that the O/S online sellers are killing them,why on earth do so many of them choose to be arseholes when people actually try and give them some business???? I could name three stores right now that I'll never step foot in again after the unpleasantness I experienced trying to buy from them.

Ridiculous.
formerly the fat climber

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:56 pm

Muzza72 wrote:
Ross wrote:I had a pretty average dealing with a LBS.<snip>.
I'm stuffed if I can work out the mentality of some bike shops. With the amount of screaming going on that the O/S online sellers are killing them,why on earth do so many of them choose to be arseholes when people actually try and give them some business???? I could name three stores right now that I'll never step foot in again after the unpleasantness I experienced trying to buy from them.

Ridiculous.
Yes I agree, but I did have a positive experience with a different LBS on the weekend so this has sorta cancelled out the bad experience - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25911&start=375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:35 pm

ball bearing wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Bike24.de is very slow - not even a response to say the brakes I have ordered (at big cost) are being shipped. They've taken my money - but nothing else appears to have been done.

They are very slow in the delivery department. You should be able to at least see if the brakes have been dispatched as they usually send a confirmation email with the Deutsche Post DHL tracking number. Saying that, my tracking number search has not progressed beyond the German mail room in 13 days.

If they have not sent the Deutsche Post DHL tracking number to you then you should raise the alarm.
That is the number they haven't sent. I sent an email off, and I'll send another one soon.

Edit: That's it. I'm taking action against them. :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Unreal - after 3 emails requesting updates, none answered and the final warning. Nothing at all from bike24. They can deal with my financial institution.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:20 pm

g-boaf wrote:Unreal - after 3 emails requesting updates, none answered and the final warning. Nothing at all from bike24. They can deal with my financial institution.
Did Bike24 get back to you? I emailed them and they responded within one day - maybe you shook up their customer service department?

My parcel is showing as being in the Deutsch Post DHL export processing centre for the last 15 days. I suspect that my lights are on a ship, which is very disappointing considering the postage cost 19.95 Euros for a 1 Lbs package.

I don't think I will be buying from Bike24 again.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:31 pm

I bought some service parts and oil for my rockshox from Niagara cycles for a good price. It arrived in under two weeks http://www.niagaracycle.com/products/

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:39 pm

If you get stuck with Bike24, let me know. I know all of the German swear words. That comes with being fluent.

My take is that they will be doing 99% of business with Germans and just can't get their heads around orders from overseas.
But the other factor is that they are using available shipping... and it is cheap but slow. The UK retailers have built upon traditional postage routes and with the massive business have their logistics highly tuned for the speedy overseas delivery.

A turn-around for sending a package to a friend in Germany and having it returned (because someone was too stupid despite a correct address) was 5 months. And of course, no one is responsible, not the German post, not the Australian post. The retailers will be very 'korrekt' so at the end of the day you generally wont be out of pocket.
Cycling is in my BNA