Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

jasonc

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:16 am

biker jk wrote:I seem to recall reading that BikeBug claiming they were not selling grey imports, so this looks like a huge mess to me.
Then vast should definitely push with consumer affairs etc

idler

Postby idler » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:49 pm

La Passione CC - ordered 23/8 delivered 26/8, from Italy!!!

Meanwhile - Merlin Cycles tell me they shipped an order on 19/8 but P2P/TRAKPAK reckon it didn't leave UK until 25/8. P2P must offer really cheap rates to retailers so they can counterbalance the savings against all of the complaints they must get about them.
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:33 pm

I placed a second order for another lapassione kit I was so impressed with the first - shipped with confirmation from UPS 2 hours after order placement. Will likely have it on Monday/Tuesday. Just in time for a 4 day weekend starting Thursday!

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Has anyone ever needed to have a set of wheels warrantied via the UK retailers (Merlin etc)?

I'm guessing you are on your own if you have a dud? Certainly I'm guessing shipping back dodgy wheels to the UK would chew up any savings made on the original purchase. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience on this? I'm looking at getting a new set of wheels and can't get past the great prices compared to the LBS's...

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Risk vs reward at the end of the day, isn't it?

idler

Postby idler » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:07 am

daft1024 wrote:Has anyone ever needed to have a set of wheels warrantied via the UK retailers (Merlin etc)?

I'm guessing you are on your own if you have a dud? Certainly I'm guessing shipping back dodgy wheels to the UK would chew up any savings made on the original purchase. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience on this? I'm looking at getting a new set of wheels and can't get past the great prices compared to the LBS's...

I have bought a number of wheel sets from UK. Pretty safe if you stick to bomb proof wheels like Campagnolo or Fulcrum - but local prices on these are usually fairly competitive anyway if you look around.

dstofu

Postby dstofu » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:26 pm

Ordered a wheelset from a US based company, velomine.com. Awesome prices, fast shipping and the wheels they built were amazing, so far proving to be bombproof. Can't recommend these guys enough.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:07 pm

PBK. trakpak. stuck in customs for a week now. will i ever get it?

23/08/2016 16:19 Customs Clearance Delay Melbourne

idler

Postby idler » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:43 am

Given up on any seller using P2P/trakpak.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:41 pm

biker jk wrote:
nezumi wrote:I ordered two GP4000S II tyres from Pro Bike Kit (from the UK site to reduce the price - damn Australia tax!). Despatched on 10/8, anticipated delivery 24/8 - are they just adding some padding, or have delivery times blown out from the UK stores?
I ordered from PBK on 28/7, despatched 29/7 and still hasn't arrived even though they said it was expected on or before 11/8.
It seems it's the luck of the draw with PBK. My 2nd last order for 5 tyres came in the usual time of 10 days or so. My last order for a winter jersey was despatched on 16/08, due on or before 29/08 but still hasn't arrived. For me it seems the more you want the goods in the order, the longer it takes! A mate waited the full 30 days for his last order from PBK...
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:17 pm

amart sports - ordered 2 jerseys -
ordered 25/08/16
arrived 29/08/16

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:37 pm

daft1024 wrote:Has anyone ever needed to have a set of wheels warrantied via the UK retailers (Merlin etc)?

I had an issue with a set of Merlin built wheels. Had to get them them re-tensioned/trued twice. Merlin refunded the cost of having the work done by my LBS

Merlin custom wheels have an excellent reputation though, so I'd say I was unlucky. As far as factory built wheels go, not sure what they'd do.

idler

Postby idler » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Pushys order - free shipping. So far five days and no delivery (I am in Sydney) - more of a reflection on Australia Post than Pushys of course. Thought I would try them because of positive feedback here - but I can get stuff delivered from Europe faster than this.

vast524

Postby vast524 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:12 pm

jasonc wrote:Then vast should definitely push with consumer affairs etc
BB refuse to answer my questions regarding grey importing and have now lodged an official complaint to NSW Fair Trading. Will see what happens

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Bought a package off wiggle...... it sat at the Australia post facility 20mins from my house longer than it took for wiggle to process the order and have it arrive in Australia.......Jeez Aus Post are a joke....

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:22 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Bought a package off wiggle...... it sat at the Australia post facility 20mins from my house longer than it took for wiggle to process the order and have it arrive in Australia.......Jeez Aus Post are a joke....
Yes it's quite common for a package to take two days to arrive in Australia from the UK and then sit with Australia Post for three days. I lodged a complaint with AP about this and their customer service people phoned to discuss. Unfortunately, their CS person wasn't too bright and could provide no explanation why parcel's sit at Chullora for days, except "yours isn't the only package that needs to be delivered" and "you get the service you pay for", or words to that effect. :roll:

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:54 pm

dstofu wrote:Ordered a wheelset from a US based company, velomine.com. Awesome prices, fast shipping and the wheels they built were amazing, so far proving to be bombproof. Can't recommend these guys enough.
+1 for Velomine. I've had the same experience 10/10

vast524

Postby vast524 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:41 pm

vast524 wrote:
BB refuse to answer my questions regarding grey importing and have now lodged an official complaint to NSW Fair Trading. Will see what happens
Well it would seem that there is not a lot that Fairtrading can other than investigate my complaint that there is no warning/advice that the product is grey/parallel imported.
From a warranty perspective there seems little to make them honor the official importers offer.
My issue is that there is real doubt now on what BB is the official supplier for and what they import through other means
If you see this too as an issue, I would suggest that you log a request through the Fairtrading Department of the State that you purchased from. These complaints are nationally monitored and collated. The more received the more pressure the Fairtraing can put on. 10+ received for the same issue in one month will be automatically displayed on their website.
Until now, my experiences with BB have always been positive but I do now have doubts if any of the products are covered by the manufactures warranty. Once again, buyer beware

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 pm

vast524 wrote:
vast524 wrote:
Well it would seem that there is not a lot that Fairtrading can other than investigate my complaint that there is no warning/advice that the product is grey/parallel imported.
From a warranty perspective there seems little to make them honor the official importers offer.
My issue is that there is real doubt now on what BB is the official supplier for and what they import through other means
If you see this too as an issue, I would suggest that you log a request through the Fairtrading Department of the State that you purchased from. These complaints are nationally monitored and collated. The more received the more pressure the Fairtraing can put on. 10+ received for the same issue in one month will be automatically displayed on their website.
Until now, my experiences with BB have always been positive but I do now have doubts if any of the products are covered by the manufactures warranty. Once again, buyer beware
Surely the manufacturer's warranty is only a problem for the retailer. The burden of warranty to the consumer falls with the retailer. The retailer has warranty obligations to the consumer, whether they can get compensated by the manufacturer or not, should have no impact on the consumer.

Cheers,

Cameron

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:51 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
vast524 wrote:
vast524 wrote: BB refuse to answer my questions regarding grey importing and have now lodged an official complaint to NSW Fair Trading. Will see what happens
Surely the manufacturer's warranty is only a problem for the retailer. The burden of warranty to the consumer falls with the retailer. The retailer has warranty obligations to the consumer, whether they can get compensated by the manufacturer or not, should have no impact on the consumer.

Cheers,

Cameron
The burden might fall to the retailer, however if they didn't stipulate that they offered the at cost replacement (like the local distributor does), then it's simply a warranty against defects or failure.

This would be overruled should the product information that came with the glasses states this warranty applies (i.e. was not removed from the packaging by the retailer). Though from a brief re-read of vast's post bikebug are stating wear and tear, rather than a scratch. Probably worth getting a definition of what a scratch is, and what would constitute wear and tear from them (or the manufacturer themselves) then trying to use it back against them if the condition of the glasses match. Failing that, mention the issue on as many forums as you possibly can, along with facebook and review websites.

If I were a gambling man, I'd say they didn't want to have to deal with an OS distributor to claim warranty, nor send the lens back with international postage. Luckily I am not a gambling man and wouldn't make any such claims without evidence. :lol:

vast524

Postby vast524 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:56 am

DG1984 wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:
vast524 wrote: Well it would seem that there is not a lot that Fairtrading can other than investigate my complaint that there is no warning/advice that the product is grey/parallel imported.

Cheers,

Cameron
The burden might fall to the retailer, however if they didn't stipulate that they offered the at cost replacement (like the local distributor does), then it's simply a warranty against defects or failure.

This would be overruled should the product information that came with the glasses states this warranty applies (i.e. was not removed from the packaging by the retailer). Though from a brief re-read of vast's post bikebug are stating wear and tear, rather than a scratch. Probably worth getting a definition of what a scratch is, and what would constitute wear and tear from them (or the manufacturer themselves) then trying to use it back against them if the condition of the glasses match. Failing that, mention the issue on as many forums as you possibly can, along with facebook and review websites.

If I were a gambling man, I'd say they didn't want to have to deal with an OS distributor to claim warranty, nor send the lens back with international postage. Luckily I am not a gambling man and wouldn't make any such claims without evidence. :lol:
The out of pocket expenses for me is very small with this matter and at the time I was unaware of the Rudy Project deal to allow the replacement of lenses at cost.
What has troubled me is the fact that I was purchasing a product that was not covered by the local importer. Had I purchased from T7, Wig, CE, PBK... I would never had tried as I realise that I am buying a product OS or even from a cost cutting retailer. But had I purchased from Pushys I would have been covered as they are an official supplier.
As mentioned previously, I was under the impression that BB was a legit upfront retailer that only stocks products that are covered by the respective Australian importer. Now I am not sure about what is imported and what is not. All I want is a warning to the buyer that the following are store warrantied only. At least this will provide me with the choice to save money and take the warranty risk or shop elsewhere
Can any of us say with confidence that buying Oakleys from them will be covered by Oakley Aust. or any other product? Particularly more expensive items
Anyway, time to move on, I know that I will be more careful about these choices and hopefully I have alerted others to do the same
Happy riding

Toxteth

Postby Toxteth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:03 am

I've had to return a faulty wheel to Merlin for a warranty replacement a DA C24 which was out of shape. it's an expensive and timely exercise and as you surmised negates most of the cost savings achieved.

I've also had a friend who received the same wheel which was damaged in transit from Merlin but was able to have it replaced without returning it.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 am

Toxteth wrote: I've had to return a faulty wheel to Merlin for a warranty replacement a DA C24 which was out of shape. it's an expensive and timely exercise and as you surmised negates most of the cost savings achieved.

I've also had a friend who received the same wheel which was damaged in transit from Merlin but was able to have it replaced without returning it.
I had to return some c24's to Wiggle for a warranty claim, however I found out Shimano honours warranties globally. So, you can send it to their Sydney office (with proof of purchase) and they'll assess it there.

DrShifty

Postby DrShifty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:42 pm

I ordered a work stand from this Sydney based Ebay seller on Wednesday arvo, 5pm.
It arrived today, Friday, knocking on my door at 2pm - lucky to find me home.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262499940913

It's as solid as a rock and very impressive for fifty bucks with free delivery.

And in the tradition of odd safety warnings it says that 'Nobody should try to ride the bicycle when it is mounted on the stand!'

daft1024

Postby daft1024 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:47 pm

I've seen a few comments on bikeinn.com on here going back a few years - some good and some bad...

To add my recent experience I purchased some brake pads - ordered on 15/8 and delivered today on 9/9. That's 25 days for delivery.

When I ordered they said the item was in stock and would be delivered in 7-14 days. According to their tracking the item was not even sent to the shipper until 22/8. Apparently it sat somewhere in Australia since 30/8, but their tracking number failed to give anymore detail.

I sent them an email on 7/9 asking to find out where it is and got no response.

While I get that delays can occur, 7 days wait before they even give it to the shipper, then not replying to emails is pretty poor form.

I would not use bikeinn.com again.
Last edited by daft1024 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.