Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

dalai47

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:28 pm

It always amazes me when people want the cheap prices from OS but expect it straight away too. Many reasons why an order hasn't arrived yet and the majority are anything other than the fault of the seller ...

If you want something immediately, head to a LBS with the item in stock and hand over your $$$.

dominicj

Postby dominicj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:39 pm

dalai47 wrote:It always amazes me when people want the cheap prices from OS but expect it straight away too. Many reasons why an order hasn't arrived yet and the majority are anything other than the fault of the seller ...

If you want something immediately, head to a LBS with the item in stock and hand over your $$$.
Wanting something immediately and wanting a reasonable delivery timescale are two different things. c r c state on their site:
Your items will be delivered FOR FREE within 4-8 working days after you place your order (excluding weekends).
Agreed it may be a one off but my past two orders have taken over three weeks to arrive. This is in contrast to Ribble who have always managed delivery within 5 working days of ordering. That may not be the fault of the seller but the seller chooses their delivery partner and chooses to make statements like above on their website.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:48 pm

If they quote times then fair enough to be annoyed. Surprised they would to be honest...

I've ordered quite a few times from the various UK sellers, and times have varied considerable from each of them (bought from Ribble a number of times and don't think I've ever got my orders within 5 days). I just place my orders and they will come when they do; this is why I have a stash of supplies so I don't have to be in a rush.

dominicj

Postby dominicj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm impatient. Once I've decided to order something it's usually because I've sold something else and I want it yesterday!

Recently I've been using Bike Bug to price match. They always respond within a few hours and delivery is next day. Admittedly they did decline to match a recent price from Ribble with an additional code discount on the basis that they'd be losing too much money. I respect the honesty and that they replied promptly so that I could still place the order online with Ribble before the offer ended.

The really frustrating thing about c r c is that both times I've had an order take 3 weeks, the day I've emailed them to chase it the package arrived the same day. It appears the trick is to email them to chase the order about a week after you order! ;)

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Weird how the experiences in this thread with the various UK sites vary so much.Ribble for me is always two weeks minimum;whereas c r c is usually two weeks maximum.

Wiggle these days can be all over the place,though my last two or three orders with them were within a week.PBK is by far the slowest I've dealt with on a regular basis.
formerly the fat climber

softy

Postby softy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:55 pm

dalai47 wrote:It always amazes me when people want the cheap prices from OS but expect it straight away too. Many reasons why an order hasn't arrived yet and the majority are anything other than the fault of the seller ...

The LBS?
The main reason I buy online is not because of price, it is because of availability, I have given LBSs every opputunity to find a product or find a spec I ask for. 90% of the time they can't supply. I don't know if this has got to do with the shops or the distributors.

You find a product with good reviews then rock up at the LBS, sorry don't stock it, or they check and can't get it. I like to keep my money in australia but it is hard, even if you want to pay slightly more.

Waiting for stuff ordered online is part of the deal, I have a stash of stuff so I have immediate supply.

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Worse is the LBS that not only doesn't supply it(item or particular brand),then proceeds to insult your intelligence for even wanting it.(True story-happened to me only a few weeks ago in a shop that I'll say was east of the Blue Mountains :wink: The arrogant so-and-so not only lost my immediate sale,but any hope of me ever stepping in there again.As well as driving me straight home to order online,whereas had I been treated better,I'd have happily settled for an alternate brand for the convenience of having it there & then)

I've also been ignored in other shops for perusing the mid-range pricing options - they seem only interested in making a high-end sale.Online has no such snobbery,so that's a factor for me buying online.
formerly the fat climber

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:49 pm

I've bought numerous things from the UK (usually Wiggle but most of the other usual suspects over time too). I really think 17days+ is beyond reasonable when 10 days is the longest i've had to wait before. I ordered something that could not be sourced at my LBS (or anywhere else i looked in Australia), so they would have to order from overseas too.

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Tank1252 wrote:I've bought numerous things from the UK (usually Wiggle but most of the other usual suspects over time too). I really think 17days+ is beyond reasonable when 10 days is the longest i've had to wait before. I ordered something that could not be sourced at my LBS (or anywhere else i looked in Australia), so they would have to order from overseas too.
Generally I agree,17 days is too long.Though I did wait 25 (or 26? Can't recall exactly now) for some wheels from Wiggle earlier this year.That was frustrating,especially since I'd bought a different set of wheels off them only a few months before and had them in 10 days flat.

Just curious (and apologies if mentioned and I've missed it) - have you had any contact with c r c about the delay?
formerly the fat climber

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 pm

I haven't contacted c r c yet. I was going to a few days ago until I read here that others had waited up to 3 weeks. I'll wait to 3 weeks & then contact them.

softy

Postby softy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:19 pm

the fat climber wrote:Worse is the LBS that not only doesn't supply it(item or particular brand),then proceeds to insult your intelligence for even wanting it.(True story-happened to me only a few weeks ago in a shop that I'll say was east of the Blue Mountains :wink: The arrogant so-and-so not only lost my immediate sale,but any hope of me ever stepping in there again.As well as driving me straight home to order online,whereas had I been treated better,I'd have happily settled for an alternate brand for the convenience of having it there & then)

I've also been ignored in other shops for perusing the mid-range pricing options - they seem only interested in making a high-end sale.Online has no such snobbery,so that's a factor for me buying online.
I know how you feel,
I run tubulars, why because I'm crazy, an old nerd, whatever, it doesn't matter, I want to use them and I like them.
As soon as you mention them or want rims changed or want to buy anything tubular, you in most cases get this negative response. I can't for the life of me understand why. To ME tubulars are better in every respect, accept price.

Why do I need to be convinced im doing something stupid? Everyone with a decent bike use to run them once, so what is the big deal to insult me.
All they need to say is, "sorry we don't sell them or sorry we don't fit them" instead of trying to convert me to something I don't want.

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:27 pm

I know how you feel,
I run tubulars, why because I'm crazy, an old nerd, whatever, it doesn't matter, I want to use them and I like them.
As soon as you mention them or want rims changed or want to buy anything tubular, you in most cases get this negative response. I can't for the life of me understand why. To ME tubulars are better in every respect, accept price.

Why do I need to be convinced im doing something stupid? Everyone with a decent bike use to run them once, so what is the big deal to insult me.
All they need to say is, "sorry we don't sell them or sorry we don't fit them" instead of trying to convert me to something I don't want.
Agree 100%.If they're at all interested in being in business then they should lose the attitude instead of losing the sale.
When they lose enough sales they're only blame online shopping anyway. :roll:
formerly the fat climber

Muzza72

Postby Muzza72 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Tank1252 wrote:I haven't contacted c r c yet. I was going to a few days ago until I read here that others had waited up to 3 weeks. I'll wait to 3 weeks & then contact them.
Fair enough,and thanks for replying. :)
Perhaps I'm an impatient sort (and I try not to be lol) but I'd have probably contacted them by now.Nothing rude,I'd be as courteous as possible.When I inquired with Wiggle re:the delay in my wheels I was polite,and was very happy with the email exchanges as a result.Doesn't help get the stuff any quicker,mind :wink:
formerly the fat climber

digbyj

Postby digbyj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Wheels and a few smaller parts, ordered last Friday from Wiggle. Here today, are you kidding me?? And free postage! I almost feel like I'm ripping them off was such a good deal!
Craaaaaazy efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Tank1252

Postby Tank1252 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:06 am

Gave in & sent c r c an email. Awaiting a reply.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 am

Tank1252 wrote:Gave in & sent c r c an email. Awaiting a reply.
Don't get excited, I waited 3 weeks for a set of cleats. Turned out they didn't write the address on the pack.
Aus Post had to open it to see who they were sending too. :) I only bought the parts due to a free mail offer.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:47 am

softy wrote:

The LBS?
The main reason I buy online is not because of price, it is because of availability, I have given LBSs every opputunity to find a product or find a spec I ask for. 90% of the time they can't supply. I don't know if this has got to do with the shops or the distributors.
Wow I can't believe that for every single product you have bought you have asked your LBS first!

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:51 am

Pushy's has far been the best for turn around time, being local definietly helps and price is very reasonable especially on specials.
Wiggle has been mixed, sometimes it only takes 4-5 days and recently nearly two weeks.
Cycling express is another one that always suprises me, very quick turaround time considering it all comes out of HK.
PBK, as many have mentioned is the slowest by a good margin, but on this note I dont mind waiting if the savings are quite substantial.

Many of us have different opinions of LBS around us, I've never had good service, some are downright abnoxious and price is always lousy. Therefore its not hard to opt for online shopping each and everytime.

dominicj

Postby dominicj » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:24 pm

wgc138 wrote:Cycling express is another one that always suprises me, very quick turaround time considering it all comes out of HK.
CE have been an absolute mess to deal with since they were sold. Their website is horrible and their price match is hit and miss. They do deliver very quick and reliably; all of my orders from them have arrived within a week of ordering.

I ordered something the other day with standard shipping and received the very next day in Brisbane. That was obviously a one off but still pretty impressive.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:23 pm

Wiggle, some skewers, kedge mount, tape, tyres.

24/7 - ordered and paid
25/7 - dispatched
31/7 - arrived

happy chappy

softy

Postby softy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Homo Suburbiensis wrote:
softy wrote:

The LBS?
Wow I can't believe that for every single product you have bought you have asked your LBS first!
Not every product, but a considerable amount, and time ringing around many shops. I do believe the distributors are somewhat to blame, try to only push certain products. So the shops are the meat in sandwich

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 pm

outnabike wrote:
Tank1252 wrote:Gave in & sent c r c an email. Awaiting a reply.
Don't get excited, I waited 3 weeks for a set of cleats. Turned out they didn't write the address on the pack.
Aus Post had to open it to see who they were sending too. :) I only bought the parts due to a free mail offer.
So it took a couple of weeks to work out that they need to open the package. I just cant understand why Australia post is so useless, I can track an item from China to Australia takes 5 days then it takes 2 weeks to get from Sydney to Brisbane and I track the item on Australia post site and it says its in China still. :?: When I order items weeks apart they save them all up and bring them all out at once instead of weeks apart like ordered and posted from different online shops.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:45 am

velogear.com.au

Ordered and paid for a Cygolite Streak 280 front light Wednesday 24/07, took advantage of the free shipping offer at the time, received in Perth yesterday (Thurdsay 31/07) - I'm happy with that :)

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:46 pm

I have also had very good service from Velogear. Quick delivery and when an item arrived damaged, I sent them a photo and it was replaced without hesitation. They are also one of the few stores in Aus with a reasonable range of 20in tyres for folders and recumbent trikes.
Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Another plug for Velogear. They did a price match less 10% on an SMP saddle for me quickly and without any hassle. They also gave me a no questions asked refund on a pair of nicks with a manufacturing fault.