Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

gtext

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby gtext » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 am

gtext wrote:Placed a order on line with Highly Tuned Athletes Hampton yesterday for a Garmin Edge 1030 and Garmin Varia radar tail light. Their website shows "now in stock" for both. Next day delivery advertised if in stock but expected that I may have missed their deadline. Rang today to check and was told by them that they had to order more 1030's should ship Tuesday and no stock on the radar should be later this month. He seemed surprised when I said that their website said both in stock.
Guess I was sucked in by their false advertising and not contacting me to say so. Lesson learnt to ring first next time.
Hopefully both eventually arrive or I'll go and see them personally.
At this stage no sign of the package nearly a week from when it was reportedly posted. Contacted Aust Post last week regarding the tracking information to be told it only indicated a booking for a bulk post and there was no physical article linked to that and why it hadn't been updated. Tracking showed no sender or receiver details. Contacted the seller who stated I should have received the package the following day. They stated they would contact Aust post and open an investigation. Shop is closed today but will contact them tomorrow if no show. So it's looking like either the parcel was never posted by the shop or lost/maybe stolen from within Aust Post.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:17 am

ChainReactionCycles

Still my go-to site if I want parts before the next weekend.

Ordered on Sunday, dispatched on the same day, parcel delivered on Friday (metropolitan Sydney) giving me ample time to swop over to my bike.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Due to difficulty finding some bike parts on any cycling online vendor, I just tried to order the parts on amazon.com, which fortunately did have these parts. Unfortunately, no thanks to the Australian government and Amazon, my order was rejected and the web site told me to visit amazon.com.au instead. Naturally, the product I wanted wasn't available on that site. :roll: (not surprising, because it has nowhere near the product range of amazon.com)
I ended up ordering the parts from Jenson USA instead.

solarvalue

Postby solarvalue » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 am

Does anyone know if this store is legit?
http://www.beltdrivebike.com/
Thanks

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:10 pm

caneye wrote:ChainReactionCycles

Still my go-to site if I want parts before the next weekend.

Ordered on Sunday, dispatched on the same day, parcel delivered on Friday (metropolitan Sydney) giving me ample time to swop over to my bike.
I've noticed that Wiggle don't have flat rate shipping for orders under $80 but seems to be calculated now.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:25 am

A while back I purchased a Pinarello jersey made by Santini off Gumtree, but unfortunately it was stolen from my letterbox. I was pretty gutted about it, not that it was worth a lot of money, just that they are hard to get and the seller was a vintage Pinarello fan like myself.

Usually I'd just tell myself it wasn't meant to be, but for some reason I couldn't let this one go. So I jumped online and found a virtual store in France that had stock of the said jersey. Sweet! It seemed fairly legit and I sent a query and got a prompt response, so I pulled the trigger and purchased the jersey.

After waiting three weeks, the jersey arrived...from China...hmmm...doesn't look as good as I thought it would...doesn't fit very well...print is a bit $#!t. Hang on, it's not made by Santini, it's just a cheap knock off!

I went back online to the store and while the product page makes no mention of Santini, the image is of a genuine Santini Pinarello jersey. There are a few details that are obviously missing from the jersey I received.

So I have e-mailed the seller asking to return the jersey for a refund. I'm not confident I'm going to get a reply, but let's wait and see. I'm just wondering where I stand from a consumer rights point of view as far as receiving faux goods?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:42 am

Pushys - headset bearings. Ordered Monday night. Paid for same day shipping. Arrived 10am yesterday

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:19 pm

c r c - first order Post July 1, but their website makes it clear that prices include GST, ordered $101 worth of bits

23/7 - ordered
24/7 - dispatched
1/8 - arrived

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:07 am

PBK - first order with these guys post July, couldnt see anywhere if GST was included in the price or not. Ordered some grips and a rain jacket, dispatch was split.

27/7 - ordered
28/7 - grips dsipatched
1/8 - jacket dispatched
8/8 - grips arrived
9/8 - jacket arrived

BobtheBuilder

Postby BobtheBuilder » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:38 pm

99bikes

http://www.99bikes.com.au

Will never order from them again.

SHORT VERSION

Order sitting around for a week because one item not in stock. No communication. Repeated and time-consuming attempts to get an answer. Website provides little order and no tracking information. Order only sent after lots of my time wasted.

LONG VERSION

Ordered last Wednesday night (6 days ago) before a big camping trip so replacement pedals would arrive fairly early this week so I could get bike up and running again. Got a few other things that I needed too ($200 worth). Confirmation email says tracking number would be sent once consignment dispatched. Previous order I did in May didn't send a tracking number - first I knew it'd arrived was an email saying AusPost couldn't deliver my parcel. Tracking numbers are valuable for me as my residential address doesn't have a postal service - so checking the post involves a trip to town to check the PO box.

Their website doesn't have any information about order status or tracking number. There are no phone numbers to contact the online store.

On Tuesday morning this week I sent an email via their online form and I also called the Brisbane CBD branch and the bloke there cowpooed me that he couldn't check the status of my order or provide a phone number for the online store or find anything out. Later that day tried another branch - Fortitude Valley - and the bloke there (Guiseppe) was an absolute legend and offered to follow up for me and provided a number to call the online store (which went straight to a generic voicemail).

Guiseppe said to call him back the next day later in the morning if I still hadn't heard anything. I did the next day and he said he'd call me back - when he did, he said they should call me soon to update me. They didn't, but a bit later I got a reply to my original webform request, 30 hours earlier saying the order hadn't been shipped as the lightset (I'd ordered two different types) wasn't in stock and offering another one (but not specifying options).

There were a few more emails back and forth and I found out today that they sent it yesterday minus the lightset (per my request), but still haven't supplied a tracking number.

I can (living in the NT, with freight flying direct to Darwin via Singapore) get stuff quicker from Europe than these jokers can manage to dispatch it. The main reason I don't is environmental (carbon footprint). And wanting to support local enterprises. If I was acting purely selfishly, they wouldn't get a look-in.

Big thanks to Guiseppe, who obviously cares about his employer's business and customer satisfaction. What a legend.
No thanks to the bloke in the Brissie CBD store who cowpooed me.

UPDATE

In the last hour (since posting this) have received a tracking number by automated email. Says it was picked up about an hour ago (bloke on email from online store said it was sent yesterday). I know correlation isn't causation ...

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Wanted to buy a Di2 FD, saw a good price on the one I wanted from a Melb bike shop through Bike Exchange. I tried to email them to confirm price and availability but after 2 days no response. Thought I would chance it and buy it through the website, added it to the cart to find out there is $30 postage. No thanks. Ended up buying from Merlin, cheaper inc GST.

Why don't we buy stuff from Oz LBS? ! :roll:

Edit: Less than six hours (Oz time) after I placed the order with Merlin I received an email saying it has been dispatched and given me a tracking number :D

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Rapha - recent sales, grabbed a jersey and their essentials case

25/8 - ordered
27/8 - dispatched
4/9 - arrived

Merlin Cycles - grabbed a pair of tyres and mini tool kit

25/8 - ordered
25/8 - dispatched
5/9 - arrived

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:01 am

E-Go to/from WA, would avoid.
e-go.com.au wrote:Job Number 7377
Booked for 22/08/2018
Service Road Freight
From CHIPPENDALE 2008
To PERTH AIRPORT 6105
Transit Time 3 - 5 Days
Number of Items 1
Dead Weight 7 kgs
Cubic Weight 31 kgs
Scanned Item Status/Reason PoD Agent/Driver
22/08/2018 05:28PM On-Forwarded/DEPART SYDNEY FOR PERTH ON 24/08/2018 HXSYD
30/08/2018 05:36PM 1/ 1 Scanned into Depot JFMPER
31/08/2018 07:09PM 1/ 1 Scanned into Depot JFMPER
03/09/2018 11:51AM 1/ 1 Out for Delivery 1916
03/09/2018 04:53PM Delivered JFMPER
Actual delivery:
Tue 04/09/18 11:27AM Delivery accepted at Reception marked for your attention:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:24 am

Chain reaction. Haven’t ordered since 2014. Good prices, submit order 23/8. AusPost tracking has been ‘pending’ since 24th. No sign of package. Seems they bulk ship into Aus then hand it over to AusPost. Now I’ve been told that theee is a problem with the paperwork and AusPost can’t scan it in. Others on rotorburn having similar delayed delivery issues. Ie no tracking until it is delivered.

Hopelesss. Will not order from c r c again.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 am

bychosis wrote:Chain reaction. Haven’t ordered since 2014. Good prices, submit order 23/8. AusPost tracking has been ‘pending’ since 24th. No sign of package. Seems they bulk ship into Aus then hand it over to AusPost. Now I’ve been told that theee is a problem with the paperwork and AusPost can’t scan it in. Others on rotorburn having similar delayed delivery issues. Ie no tracking until it is delivered.

Hopelesss. Will not order from c r c again.
What happens in the postal system is not c r c's fault, not directly anyway.

Mind you, never had a problem personally.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:46 am

MichaelB wrote:What happens in the postal system is not c r c's fault, not directly anyway.
This is true, but if they are sending via another agent to Aus, then handing it over maybe they should be giving us two tracking numbers to get an idea where it is at.

Sure, I understand that errors occur, but if this new drop shipping model is the future they to fix their system so it is quick and reliable.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:58 am

I hear you, and yes, it is frustrating that a parcel gets tracked to one point and then is 'somewhere' until it hits landfall, and often the tracking is a day or two behind. Happens locally as well (have the issue with Aus Post and something from Pushy's)

At the end of the day, we've become used to having the info available NOW, and when there is a gap, we get cranky.

I try and look at the reality of it. I can order something from OS, and get it to my door (or work desk) quicker and much cheaper than I can often get it in Oz.

Recent example - want a Hope 30mm threaded BB (& tool) - Best price locally is $160 for the BB and another $26 for the tool (and only in Black - no real issue) Found it OS for A$123 delivered (BB & tool) and got a choice of colours.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Hunter Express seem to be the business behind e-go - I didn't realise why I received emails marked as spam from them, so I guess others are reporting it for the same ignorance 8) I've never contacted them about it, but I assume others have :lol:

A little late (maybe the updates are delivered by the same rail freight), but this explains what the "on-forwarded" bit and perhaps non-standard delays to their business have been.
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2018-012/
Hunter Express wrote:Dear Customer,

Unfortunately there was a recent train derailment into WA that resulted in a
significant delay to freight dispatched prior to that time.

This has had a major impact on our Perth operation as we effectively had
thousands of consignments to deliver each week as a result.

There has been a major recovery effort undertaken by our Perth office and we
have very much appreciated your patience during this time.

It is great to be able to advise that your consignment has now been scheduled
for delivery within the next 24-48 hours and our tracking will confirm when
our driver has it on board for delivery.

We do again thank you for your patience and apologise for the inconvenience.

Regards
Hunter Express
eldavo wrote:E-Go to/from WA, would avoid.
e-go.com.au wrote:Job Number 7377
Booked for 22/08/2018
Service Road Freight
From CHIPPENDALE 2008
To PERTH AIRPORT 6105
Transit Time 3 - 5 Days
Number of Items 1
Dead Weight 7 kgs
Cubic Weight 31 kgs
Scanned Item Status/Reason PoD Agent/Driver
22/08/2018 05:28PM On-Forwarded/DEPART SYDNEY FOR PERTH ON 24/08/2018 HXSYD
30/08/2018 05:36PM 1/ 1 Scanned into Depot JFMPER
31/08/2018 07:09PM 1/ 1 Scanned into Depot JFMPER
03/09/2018 11:51AM 1/ 1 Out for Delivery 1916
03/09/2018 04:53PM Delivered JFMPER
Actual delivery:
Tue 04/09/18 11:27AM Delivery accepted at Reception marked for your attention:

MichaelB

Re: Online Purchases - uBYK

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Purchased a Hope 30mm Threaded BB from them.

Their deal was the BB & tool for A$123. Best local price (MTBDirect) was $160 for the BB and another $26 for the tool. Via Wiggle et al, the best price was A$138, but they don't sell the tool.

Took a few days to ship, but got an email regarding this pretty quick, and they also answered a question that I had as well within a day.

Item is now shipped, so just standing by to standby. So far so good.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:46 am

c r c - a set of XT brakes

7/9 - ordered
8/9 - dispatched
14/9 - arrived

happy with that!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:14 pm

jaseyjase wrote:c r c - a set of XT brakes

7/9 - ordered
8/9 - dispatched
14/9 - arrived

happy with that!
Still waiting for my order from 23/8. Latest update is Monday. Not happy

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:59 pm

I ordered the book "Riding into the Sunrise - Recollections of bicycle journey across Russia" by touring companion of Dr. Kate Leeming, Gregory Yeoman, from the book depository.

Kate includes an outline of the Russian trip in the introduction of her book Out There and Back, which I bought previously:
https://www.bookdepository.com/Out-Ther ... 1920892463

Dispatched on the 6th and arrived today the 19th which is a little on the tardy side compared to some UK Royal Mail packages I've received, but all good as I'm just glad its here.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I bought this front light which arrived today. $33.
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07BS9X5Q1

Went for a ride after work and came back through the local wetlands in the dark.
I fitted this light and my current light.
Both are rated 1000 lumens.
The old light has a narrower beam, but is wayy brighter.
The new light is much wider, and has no point as bright as the other.

Nevertheless, one of the reasons I bought this new light is because the brighter one has an external battery pack so is harder to switch between bikes.
The other reason is I like to have a back up light on some rides.
A third reason is the brighter light isn't ideal for riding windy paths, as you can't see around bends ideally.
The new one has a 4500 mAh battery which is bigger than previous backup lights I've had before.

My overall thoughts are that it is good value for the money. It is very very well made. All the bits including the mount feel really well designed and engineered. The different light settings could be more widely spread.
Nevertheless, it is probably a good compromise between hours of operation for one charge, and brightness. It is marketed as a road bike light for the city. There's a mtb version which is rated at 1600 lumens.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:25 am

CKinnard wrote:Both are rated 1000 lumens.
The old light has a narrower beam, but is wayy brighter.
The new light is much wider, and has no point as bright as the other.
That's a great demonstration of why lumens is not a helpful rating for lights.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/09/ ... ter-light/

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 am

hamishm wrote: That's a great demonstration of why lumens is not a helpful rating for lights.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/09/ ... ter-light/
Yes, though I thought newer headlights (last 3 years) had generally adopted better beam design, but not this light.
My brighter narrower beam light is 8 years old.