Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Top_Bhoy

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:14 pm

What are peoples recent experiences using Probikekit? I swore I never use them again after they screwed-up 2 consecutive orders (almost 9 week delay and had to order from elsewhere) but they are the only ones who have what I am looking for in stock (and best price). If they have improved since I used them about 12 months ago I may nervously consider trying them again. If they haven't improved, I'll keep looking.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:56 pm

^^^

I too recently weighed this up and took the plunge after a week wait once. Said never again. I lied. Price got the better of me and goods arrived within 10 days so happy with that.

fil_farina

Postby fil_farina » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:24 pm

Ordered 4 items from wiggle. Jersey, cap, chamois cream, Knicks. Been sent in two separate packages and using two different order numbers according to the email, from two different locations. Interesting to see how long it takes.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:57 pm

In the last couple of weeks I've placed two orders with Bikebug and both have been despatched same day and arrived in Hobart the next day via Toll. Cost me slightly more than overseas options but their free post (Toll) threshold is lower and I'm happy to pay a bit more to an Australian company and get it that bit quicker.

I'll be using them again

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

idler

Postby idler » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:32 am

Having bagged Wiggle/Trakpak for their slow delivery over last weeks - I thought I had better even things up with some local experience. Bought some socks from Cycling Tips on 15 September. They were posted on 17 September and a week later I am still waiting for them to be delivered. I am in Sydney, they are in Melbourne. They were sent with a tracking number but Australia Post hasn't bothered to actually scan the package as yet. Pretty hopeless!
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:57 am

idler wrote:Having bagged Wiggle/Trakpak for their slow delivery over last weeks - I thought I had better even things up with some local experience. Bought some socks from Cycling Tips on 15 September. They were posted on 17 September and a week later I am still waiting for them to be delivered. I am in Sydney, they are in Melbourne. They were sent with a tracking number but Australia Post hasn't bothered to actually scan the package as yet. Pretty hopeless!
Sounds pretty typical. I had a tracked parcel that vanished between Syd and Melbourne for a few days short of a full month! I called Aust Post because the last scan was at the post office where I lodged it, which was pretty useless.
After lodging two lost item enquiries, it mysteriously arrived at the other end with no scan data in between the post office in Sydney and the mail centre in Melbourne.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:23 am

bikebug - ordered saturday 19th
tracked shipping said it would arrive on tuesday
then on the tracked shipping there was a note with "incorrect address"
so i contacted toll and they fixed it
same delivery address i've been using for the last 2 years (5 order from what i can see)
it was suggested by toll that it was written incorrectly on the label
arrived 24/09

i contacted bikebug and let them know - no response

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 am

jasonc wrote: it was suggested by toll that it was written incorrectly on the label
Interesting comment by Toll - I'd be surprised if Bikebug write anything, lodgements are all electronic these days, it should just use the address for you in their system. what does it say on the package label?

Most problems I've had seem to be with the delivery company, be it courier or Auspost. It's always interesting tracking stuff from overseas and seeing how quickly it gets to Oz and how long it takes after that :-(

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:46 am

AndyRevill wrote:
jasonc wrote: it was suggested by toll that it was written incorrectly on the label
Interesting comment by Toll - I'd be surprised if Bikebug write anything, lodgements are all electronic these days, it should just use the address for you in their system. what does it say on the package label?

Most problems I've had seem to be with the delivery company, be it courier or Auspost. It's always interesting tracking stuff from overseas and seeing how quickly it gets to Oz and how long it takes after that :-(

Andy
all the labels on the package looked fine but for all I know they could have put a 2nd label over the original. Just disappointing the bikebug haven't said boo.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:48 pm

AndyRevill wrote:

Andy
My experience, based on living in Melbourne, is that any delays in receiving the goods are due to delays at the Singapore transit hub. It can be sent immediately from say the UK, reach Singapore in 24 hours and its not uncommon for the parcel to sit and be processed in Singapore for 5 business days. Once despatched from the transit hub, I generally receive within 48 hours.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
AndyRevill wrote:

Andy
My experience, based on living in Melbourne, is that any delays in receiving the goods are due to delays at the Singapore transit hub. It can be sent immediately from say the UK, reach Singapore in 24 hours and its not uncommon for the parcel to sit and be processed in Singapore for 5 business days. Once despatched from the transit hub, I generally receive within 48 hours.
Although my latest order (from c r c) departed the UK Sep 18 but didn't arrive in Singapore until Sep 23 after which it departed the same day for Sydney and was delivered by Australia Post today. So the delay was on the trip to Singapore from the UK rather than being held up in Singapore.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:48 pm

jasonc wrote:bikebug - ordered saturday 19th
tracked shipping said it would arrive on tuesday
then on the tracked shipping there was a note with "incorrect address"
so i contacted toll and they fixed it
same delivery address i've been using for the last 2 years (5 order from what i can see)
it was suggested by toll that it was written incorrectly on the label
arrived 24/09

i contacted bikebug and let them know - no response
I had an Oakley order about a month ago from Toll with a similar story.
Their tracking said failed to deliver at 5:30pm, I was at home nobody rang my bell and there was no calling card left.
After 3 days of nothing I called them asked if I could pick it from a depot. There is no way I will believe they tried to deliver it.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Ironic you should be talking about that gents, there was a guy who popped up on the radio yesterday afternoon (ABC) talking about his one man crusade to make the delivery/transport/mail business more accountable for things like missing items, and the delivery component - ie not dropping notes in the box and actually trying to make a delivery by *heaven forbib* knocking on the door!

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:53 pm

biker jk wrote:Although my latest order (from c r c) departed the UK Sep 18 but didn't arrive in Singapore until Sep 23 after which it departed the same day for Sydney and was delivered by Australia Post today. So the delay was on the trip to Singapore from the UK rather than being held up in Singapore.
Your parcel must have taken 2 or 3 flights to get to Singapore (maybe wrong initial transit flight?) but the common point is that it was hub transition delays and not as a result of Australia Post. I think Australia Post gets unfairly maligned at times.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:10 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
biker jk wrote:Although my latest order (from c r c) departed the UK Sep 18 but didn't arrive in Singapore until Sep 23 after which it departed the same day for Sydney and was delivered by Australia Post today. So the delay was on the trip to Singapore from the UK rather than being held up in Singapore.
Your parcel must have taken 2 or 3 flights to get to Singapore (maybe wrong initial transit flight?) but the common point is that it was hub transition delays and not as a result of Australia Post. I think Australia Post gets unfairly maligned at times.
The key qualifier being "at times". Pre-Wiggle/c r c using TrakPak it would often take longer for parcels to be delivered once received by Australian Post than to get to Australia from the UK. I still don't understand why parcels go from Sydney airport to Chullora then back to Alexandria for delivery to the inner-east. That often adds a day to the delivery time.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Seems pretty hard to predict. Over the last 6 months or so I've ordered stuff from the UK and US and the supplier has used either post or courier. In each case the package has landed in Melbourne within 2 days and then taken 4-5 working days to get to me. One package I got sent to home which is 25km south of Hobart and classed as rural was via Toll and I got a card saying no access. There is no gate and someone was home but the driver obviously didn't like the look of the driveway. I called to arrange a depot pickup and told yes no problem shortly followed by a call to say my package was actually still on the truck that had tried to deliver it the day before so it effectively took 3 days for me to be able to get it from it landing in Tas. By contrast a recent parcel was coming via DHL from the UK to home and I thought I would be smart and pre-arrange to pick it up expecting the same non-delivery issue but the parcel was already out for delivery (a day early) and it was actually delivered - fortunately my daughter was home.
In their defence I'd say recently Auspost have been pretty good for "rural" deliveries with email notifications to pick it up from the local post office.
I think it's probably quite hard for companies trying to operate an online business and a lot of their energy will go into prompt despatch but they are also going to have to take some interest in delivery efficiency to be successful.

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:34 pm

I think the most bizarre route I ever saw for a parcel coming to me from the U.K to Sydney was Melbourne, Brisbane, Ipswich, Katoomba, Seven Hills DC, then delivered.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:08 pm

biker jk wrote: I still don't understand why parcels go from Sydney airport to Chullora then back to Alexandria for delivery to the inner-east. That often adds a day to the delivery time.
I think that international parcels and mails have to go to Chullora depot for drug sniffing dog to see if it contain drugs before being released.

Seen the Border Security on TV of what the dogs do.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:28 am

Pushys. Placed order 9:30 last night. Arrived at my home (Brisbane) 11am today. Do these guys actually sleep? :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:12 pm

redsonic wrote:Pushys. Placed order 9:30 last night. Arrived at my home (Brisbane) 11am today. Do these guys actually sleep? :wink:
Seems about right The shop is in the Brisbane suburb of Salisbury.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:30 pm

Ordered a couple of chains (one for road bike and other for MTB) just over a month ago from Ribble and haven't received them. I sent a quick one line email to Ribble on Friday night our time alerting them to this and when I checked my email again on Saturday morning I had a reply saying it must be lost in the mail and a Paypal refund was done because the XTR 10 spd MTB chain is NLA. No quibbling or excuses, just immediate action by Ribble. I'm impressed. Woul of rather had my chains but this is a good compromise.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:58 am

Bike parts have been taking a back seat lately. Been ordering 4wd parts for my car. I want to do some more camping with the kids before they are grown up and gone. I note the local postal agency sends me a text when a parcel arrives at their premesis now. Very handy. I trundle down and pick it up without my wife's knowledge ;)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:55 pm

warthog1 wrote: I trundle down and pick it up without my wife's knowledge ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:37 pm

The drag race has begun.

Ribble order on Sunday, dispatched yesterday.
Wiggle order this afternoon, dispatched this evening (apparently).

No tracking for Ribble, but tracking for Wiggle (of sorts).

Running 5/1 to one on Ribble appearing before Wiggle (and by more than a day), Wiggle is running at 9/1 after recent experiences to rock up prior to Ribble!

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:02 pm

Carrots wrote:Running 5/1 to one on Ribble appearing before Wiggle (and by more than a day), Wiggle is running at 9/1 after recent experiences to rock up prior to Ribble!
I've purchased way too much stuff from both Ribble and Wiggle in the past :oops: So I have many multiple package experiences with both, lets say at least a dozen form each of them........ :oops: :oops:

Both used to have excellent dispatch to mail box times but after an 18 month hiatus from Wiggle I found that a small package took 18 days to arrive when in the past, a Saturday night purchase meant even odds chances of arriving from the UK within the next week.

I have another small package from Ribble on the way so I'm keen to see if they too have a protracted delivery time.........

First world problems... tisk tisk........ :D
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking