Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

li2099

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby li2099 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:25 pm

hamishm wrote:
li2099 wrote:Bought a set of tyres and chain from Merlin Cycles 2 weeks ago.
Purchased: Continentals GP 4 Seasons
Received: Continentals GP 4000S II
They look very similar I must admit but it's not what I wanted so contacted them via email.
Their solutions:
1. Keep tyres and give me AU$30.
I'd take the money, you got better tyres and you got them $30 cheaper.
I might take your advice actually. Just didn't want to have race tyres on for commuting to work everyday which will mean frequent flats and late to work!

idler

Postby idler » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:31 pm

4 seasons are overrated in my opinion for puncture resistance - I only use GP 4000S on all my bikes for all my riding and they have been very reliable and puncture resistant (just keep them pumped up to at least 100 psi). Having said that I will probably get a puncture tomorrow of course!
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:22 pm

li2099 wrote:Just didn't want to have race tyres on for commuting to work everyday which will mean frequent flats and late to work!
Fair enough. I've ridden 4000s 23mm and 25mm for years and don't get too many punctures - once I tried 28mm 4 Seasons and got heaps more. But that could've been pure luck. Now riding 28mm 4000s II and happy so far.
idler wrote:just keep them pumped up to at least 100 psi
Argh, don't just do that, consider which tyre size and your weight to determine pressure. (Off-topic for this thread.)

mmel

Postby mmel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:23 pm

I just joined this forum to have a vent.

I tried looking for a SRAM Rival groupset online, and none of the usual places seemed to have them.

I contacted a couple of retailers, and one of them responded with: "I'm afraid that due to shipping restrictions placed by our suppliers we are unable to send SRAM to Australia at present, really sorry."

Seems really scummy if you ask me! :x

I'll be looking at a Shimano/Campagnolo build if SRAM are going to be pulling BS like this.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:55 pm

i'm very happy with my Conti 4 Seasons. only 2 punctures in ~6000kms. the bulk of my commute involves riding along the M2 road shoulder.

on another note .. ordered a number of items from PUSHYS on Monday night.
Parcel arrived at work (St Leonards, Sydney) on Tuesday afternoon :shock:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:21 am

caneye wrote:i'm very happy with my Conti 4 Seasons. only 2 punctures in ~6000kms. the bulk of my commute involves riding along the M2 road shoulder.

Did you pay for express post? I ask because I ordered from Pushys on Tuesday morning of last week and delivery was on Friday midday.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 am

li2099 wrote:
hamishm wrote:
li2099 wrote:Bought a set of tyres and chain from Merlin Cycles 2 weeks ago.
Purchased: Continentals GP 4 Seasons
Received: Continentals GP 4000S II
They look very similar I must admit but it's not what I wanted so contacted them via email.
Their solutions:
1. Keep tyres and give me AU$30.
I'd take the money, you got better tyres and you got them $30 cheaper.
I might take your advice actually. Just didn't want to have race tyres on for commuting to work everyday which will mean frequent flats and late to work!
Just put some liners inside the tyres and keep an eye out for rubbish. Some stuff like staples and the like are hard to see, but the GP4000S II are fairly good. I think you got a great deal there, good tyres and $30. :)

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:27 am

biker jk wrote:
caneye wrote:i'm very happy with my Conti 4 Seasons. only 2 punctures in ~6000kms. the bulk of my commute involves riding along the M2 road shoulder.

Did you pay for express post? I ask because I ordered from Pushys on Tuesday morning of last week and delivery was on Friday midday.
no actually.
it was free postage.

(relatively small parcel - bought a camera mount, then a mirror ... and a number of other food & drinks items that were on sale.)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:33 am

caneye wrote:
biker jk wrote:

no actually.
it was free postage.

(relatively small parcel - bought a camera mount, then a mirror ... and a number of other food & drinks items that were on sale.)
My chain was free postage as well (during the free postage over $30 deal). Just strange why my delivery took three days to Sydney and yours just a day.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:36 am

I ordered some bits from Merlin on Sunday night and the UPS tracker says they will be delivered in Melbourne today (Thursday). Impressive.

idler

Postby idler » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Good to hear Merlin are using UPS now - they were using the dreaded P2P/TrakPak.
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:36 pm

idler wrote:Good to hear Merlin are using UPS now - they were using the dreaded P2P/TrakPak.
I think it depends on what you're ordering... if I look at something at around $100 it says the shipping is free with TrakPak, if I look at something around $1000 it's UPS.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:34 am

10 tubes from wiggle. 10 pack was 65 clams, individual was 5.50 ea, so 10 individuals ordered. WT? Free deliver, 4 days.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:04 am

biker jk wrote:
My chain was free postage as well (during the free postage over $30 deal). Just strange why my delivery took three days to Sydney and yours just a day.
i can only guess that they had a deluge of orders when they ran the free postage for >$30 promo. so yours was in the queue with other orders..

whist my order was placed during a "quiet day" in the warehouse and was processed immediately :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:06 am

fat and old wrote:10 tubes from wiggle. 10 pack was 65 clams, individual was 5.50 ea, so 10 individuals ordered. WT? Free deliver, 4 days.
just an fyi - bikebug are decently priced for tubes (in 10 packs) and normally come next day

theangryibis

Postby theangryibis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:39 pm

La Passione

Ordered 24 Sep (Saturday)
Shipped 26 Sep (Mon)
Delivered Adelaide 30 Sep (Fri)

Ordered 2 M Jerseys, but got 1 M and 1 L, which was fortunate as the M is well and truly spray painted on. :shock:

Emailed customer service and they got back to me within an hour: impressed.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:01 am

Ross wrote:
Ribble - tried several days to order parts but there was an issue with Paypal, decided to use my CC instead. No order confirmation was sent but finally 6 days later received email saying it was dispatched 27/8. Still not received 13/9.
Against my better judgement I ordered some more parts from Ribble. No PP issues this time but same 6 day time between ordering and them actually picking/packing and sending. Must be very short staffed or they don't actually stock the parts (Shimano 6800 crankset, BB + brake pads) and just order them from supplier as they receive order. At least the prices were good and luckily I'm not really in a hurry.

Velt

Postby Velt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm

ProBikeKit- Purchased some wheels on the 14/9 they got caught in customs on the 20/9. Contacted by PBK to resolve customs on 26/9. Recieved invoice for broker and gst (organised by PBK or the carrier) and paid on 29/9. Released from customs 30/9. Due for delivery today 3/10. Took a little while but overall a pretty painless process.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:00 pm

mmel wrote:I just joined this forum to have a vent.

I tried looking for a SRAM Rival groupset online, and none of the usual places seemed to have them.

I contacted a couple of retailers, and one of them responded with: "I'm afraid that due to shipping restrictions placed by our suppliers we are unable to send SRAM to Australia at present, really sorry."

Seems really scummy if you ask me! :x

I'll be looking at a Shimano/Campagnolo build if SRAM are going to be pulling BS like this.
Yeah, that sucks. I just noticed that my usual source of SRAM stuff (Bike24) now won't ship to Australia. Thankfully I got my Red22 RD, Rival Shifters & Cassettes from them before their policy changed.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:37 am

c r c - $200 worth of bits

30/9 - ordered
30/9 - dispatched
3/10 - delivered

happy days

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:59 am

Pushys.
Really happy with their service.

I bought a power meter from them Dec2015. It failed on me back in may so they replaced it no questions asked.
Last month the replacement PM failed again (different fault). I requested a full refund and after warranty agreed it was at fault they have agreed with the full refund.

BJL

Postby BJL » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Wiggle - Ordered a couple of chains and tyres. Free delivery option.

Ordered - Thursday 6/10
Received - Today 11/10

Pretty happy with that. Wasn't really expecting it for a couple more days. :D

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:26 am

Had an issue with some Joe's Rim Strips I got from Mountain Bikes Direct. Mostly to do with the description supplied by the Distributor (and used by MBD) being inadequate. So they refunded my return postage, paid to send me out a replacement and gave me a store credit. All to fix a problem the importer caused. Plus they listened to me when I suggested changes to their descriptions to make picking the right size easy...
Plus they were the cheapest I could find online.
Excellent Service!

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:01 pm

I also have only good things to say about Mountain Bikes Direct. I exchanged some shoes that didn't fit, and was very happy with their service.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:33 am

c r c, been a while since orders with them.

Ordered Friday 14/10, ordered stem, mtb bars, grips and gloves.
Arrived Monday arvo 17/10. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Was free postage option.