Load Carrying Bikes

Runjikol

Load Carrying Bikes

Postby Runjikol » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm considering purchase of a load-carrying bike. My two choices are:
Kona Ute (would upgrade the brakes and levers to BB7 with Speed Dial levers after the initial BB5 pads wore out)
Surly Big Dummy.

Unfortunately the Big Dummy is pushing $5000 with BSC selling them for $4769. This prices it out of my reach.
There was a second-hand one on bikeexchange.com.au but it sold (or was removed from the listings) the same day I saw it.

Ideally I'd like to get one of these bikes second-hand but the Kona Ute is affordable.
MBC are selling it for $1199 (bikes.com.au).

With the savings I can generate having such a bike the mighty Rohloff would be much sooner in reach. *drool*

What are people's experiences riding these bikes? With a load? Without a load?
How do they compare to a trailer, like a BOB?

Thanks for any info. :)
--Current rides: Surly Big Dummy || Dahon Dash P-18 || Surly Troll

Aushiker

Re: Load Carrying Bikes

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:04 am

Hi

There is a review on the Kona Ute at BikeRadar.com. Another option could be converting an existing bike, e.g., cheap MTB with the addition of an Xtracycle.

Search the web on the Xtracycle. Lots of reviews and thoughts on it.

Andrew

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 am

I use a BOB trailer occasionally for work requiring minimum kit (I'm a photographer).
They're awkward to park and don't handle well behind a twitchy roadbike, aside from that they're great. You can have your MTB cake and eat it too.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:34 am

Considered the Bakfiet style? http://www.cargocycles.com.au/

I think that these are more handier than the long-tail cargo cycle, because you can just chuck in your bags, etc into the front. At the moment they have a bunch of these going for $995 minus the plywood box (they are normally $1295) - you can fit a customised box to it.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:18 am

I did consider the bakefiets. Great bike but built by flatlanders (Dutch). Some of the hills near my place have gradients over 7% (not the whole way). I don't think this would be appropriate for my area. Appreciate the suggestion. :)

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 am

Runjikol wrote:Some of the hills near my place have gradients over 7% (not the whole way). I don't think this would be appropriate for my area. Appreciate the suggestion. :)
I live in a hilly area (you cannot really ride out of my suburb without riding up hill) and there is a guy who I have seen riding one with his shopping and 2-3 kids (up to ~9 years in age I would guess) in the box/tray/basket/whatever it is called. The kids seem to love it.

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am

Perhaps it's not as bad as it looks, then. :)

I also want to carry a guitar in its case, with an amplifier and an effects-pedal-case (large).
I'm thinking the bike would require those Xtracycle cargo van add-ons that are basically a ledge.

It occurred to me that it may be possible to have my old Gemini Randonneur converted to an Xtracycle clone.
Has anyone ever modified an existing frame in such a way?
What sort of cost did they/you encounter?

All the info. is good so far. Keep it coming. 8)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Runjikol

Postby Runjikol » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:28 pm

I found a Big Dummy, almost brand new, for a really good price. So it's off to the ACT to collect it in a bit over a week.

Why did I choose it?
Lower slung load. Reviews by the few who have ridden it and the Kona Ute say the Surly is a nicer ride and the Xtracycle compatibility allows more options. I agree with this. It's also a bit odd considering Xtracycle is "Open Source" so Kona need not have made their proprietary stuff in its place. Xtracycle compatibility allows me to order the "Cargo Van" add-ons (also called H-decks, IIRC) that act as load carrying "ledges". The Xtracycle bags are not very water-resistant but I can make up for that with some dry-bags such as these:
http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/Lifev ... 360028528/

There are other brands around ranging in price from about $10 up to about $120 per bag (higher prices go with heavier material and greater volume).
Already ordered a pair of motorcycle cargo-nets as they are highly recommended.

Another feature is the Big Dummy has rear dropouts that are compaitble with the mech-ex Rohloff setup... *drool*. By the time I can afford one I'm hoping they have the "Rapidfire" type shifter available.
Last edited by Runjikol on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Runjikol wrote:I did consider the bakefiets. Great bike but built by flatlanders (Dutch). Some of the hills near my place have gradients over 7% (not the whole way). I don't think this would be appropriate for my area. Appreciate the suggestion. :)
You wouldn't be buying a 3-speed Bakfiet. I believe that the ones being sold here are based on an 8-speed Sturmey-Archer drum-braked hub.

However, I'd be inclined to recommend a set-up with more low-range gears. A modern MTB set-up with a gear range similar to a touring bicycle would probably be ideal. (Shock-horror, the Tweed-Coat-Kid recommends a gear system designed to make chains fall off!)
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 pm

As cargobikes go, I reckon this one is pretty wicked - the Bullitt

Some of them (the blue ones) are seen here in the 2009 Danish Cargobike Championships

Image8)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 29, 2016 1:19 pm

A new innovation in cargobikes from China.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."