waterproof cycling jacket

tripstobaltimore

waterproof cycling jacket

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:48 am

Well winter is coming up faster than expected...

This winter I want to get a really good cycling waterproof (im happy to pay $$$ for the best quality) - Needs to keep me warm and dry for long rides in heavy rain.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to get off of probikekit/wiggle etc, but if someone can recommend a store in Adelaide worth checking out then I'll do that as well.

Cheers

Redbull

Re: waterproof cycling jacket

Postby Redbull » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 am

Buy them from the UK sites.

At this time of year they are coming out of winter so usually have winter kit on sale. I bought a jacket from ribble last year for about $70 - about a third of the local price.

Lusso Jacket

Really good jacket and I'm glad I bought it. Its actually a bit too warm for a lot of Perth weather though, but really handy when the days are cold and wet.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 am

I use a Netti one. Can't remember the name of it but it retailed for ~$200. Highly recommend it for keeping me warm and keeping the rain water out.
http://www.cyclingsports.com.au/Detail. ... KJ3D3_Y806
I wore this Netti jacket with Katmundu thermals and regular bike jersey which did a great job of keeping me warm even at -7deg C 70 minutes of commuting through winter. However, it will not keep you dry because you will be dripping like a wet fish from your own sweat. Now I live in Sydney and the weather is much warmer here so I don't usually wear it unless it is pouring down in buckets.

J

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:38 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:Well winter is coming up faster than expected...

This winter I want to get a really good cycling waterproof (im happy to pay $$$ for the best quality) - Needs to keep me warm and dry for long rides in heavy rain.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to get off of probikekit/wiggle etc, but if someone can recommend a store in Adelaide worth checking out then I'll do that as well.

Cheers
I have an Endura Gridlock Jacket (nice Red Colour); http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... delID=9268

It is as waterproof as you going to get. I have ridden with it in torrential rain and not a single drop of water has come through. At the current asking price of $67, it is an absolute steal. I think I paid $80 for it last winter (off Wiggle), but they don't seem to stock the Endura products anymore.
Like all Waterproof jackets, yes it breathes, but you are going to sweat in it. There is no avoiding it. The big difference is you will be warm rather than dripping wet with icy rain.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:53 pm

How are these jackets for sweating? I've got a waterproof one but it not very nice to wear when you start to sweat and then you freeze. I'm want to upgrade as well, will be used on commutes and touring.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi

I have a Berghaus cycling jacket made out of Gore-Tex Paclite material and have it good for the past two winters here in Perth. I would consider a Paclite jacket again when I due to purchase a replacement jacket.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:06 pm

I dont mean to hijack or anything but is there such thing to keep your legs dry?

Wow didn't know jackets range up to $500 :shock:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Richard.L wrote:I dont mean to hijack or anything but is there such thing to keep your legs dry?
Hi

No need to hijack the thread as there is a current one on this very topic here.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:25 pm

I can recommend the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket. Very light, highly breathable, pit-zip vents and openable sleeves. Its eVent fabric is more waterproof than Goretex and lots cheaper.

They make some cool looking touring overpants as well that I may get hold of for this coming winter. Their gear is made for Portland, Oregon weather - one of the wetter cities in the USA, and one with a very active cycling culture.

Oh, and the jacket only costs about $US220.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ryan

Postby ryan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:34 pm

I saw a really nice rain jacket in Kathmandu today; back pockets similar to a jersey, reflective tape, and minimal branding. Link:

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Mens/Jacket ... ns_v2.html

It's not padded so might not be the warmest jacket, but seems quite good for the QLD climate. It could be brighter though...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:47 pm

I have a good Mont one.

http://www.mont.com.au/index/catalog/product/016 It has a big hood too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:14 pm

ryan wrote:I saw a really nice rain jacket in Kathmandu today; back pockets similar to a jersey, reflective tape, and
It's not padded so might not be the warmest jacket, but seems quite good for the QLD climate. It could be brighter though...
Hi

Is it a cycling jacket? Looks more like it is cut for normal wear/walking.

Personally for those dollars I would go somewhere else.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:29 pm

+1

Cycling jackets have longer backs on them. Stops road spray getting all over you and keeps your lower back warmer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Redbull wrote:Cycling jackets have longer backs on them.
Plus ventilation openings (eg. armpit zips), a double-ended front zipper, longer sleeves with a wide opening wrist and velcro closures, bright colouring and reflective tape/piping. Also no hood is often the best way to go. Hoods and helmets often do not mix.

One of the best substitutes for a hood when cycling is the good old plastic shower cap. When fitted over your helmet it may be quite a daggy look, but the damn thing works really well at keeping your head dry while still allowing some ventilation to avoid over-heating.

My son with his shower cap in action :wink:

Mandatory helmet law?

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm scared of over heating in a water proof jacket, but scared of freezing to death in a windproof jacket!
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Chaderotti wrote:I'm scared of over heating in a water proof jacket, but scared of freezing to death in a windproof jacket!
Buy a wind proof and water proof?? then dress to suit the weather conditions?

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:11 pm

Richard.L wrote:
Chaderotti wrote:I'm scared of over heating in a water proof jacket, but scared of freezing to death in a windproof jacket!
Buy a wind proof and water proof?? then dress to suit the weather conditions?
If only I had that sort of money in the bank :?
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:30 pm

All good quality waterproof, breathable jackets are also extremely windproof as well. The breathable fabric allows you to dry off when you stop when you do overheat on a climb, and good ventilation openings help to give air flow to cool you.

You will not get cold in a windproof (eg Gore Windstopper) jacket. They stop the wind that will cool you down. I have a Ground Effect Draft Dodger full Windfoil jacket that I hardly ever use while cycling (except for 5 degree winter days) as there's no air flow and I just get too hot in it. Their Frosty Boy is much better - Windfoil on the front of the torso and arms, regular fleece on the back and sides, so you get more ventilation. Frosty Boy is my favourite and most versatile cycling top.

[edit]Hey, 4000 posts Image
Mandatory helmet law?

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 am

il padrone wrote:
Redbull wrote:Cycling jackets have longer backs on them.
Plus ventilation openings (eg. armpit zips), a double-ended front zipper, longer sleeves with a wide opening wrist and velcro closures, bright colouring and reflective tape/piping. Also no hood is often the best way to go. Hoods and helmets often do not mix.

One of the best substitutes for a hood when cycling is the good old plastic shower cap. When fitted over your helmet it may be quite a daggy look, but the damn thing works really well at keeping your head dry while still allowing some ventilation to avoid over-heating.

My son with his shower cap in action :wink:

Dude, making your teenage son wear a shower cap on his helmet.

He's gunna love you - right after he calls social services and reports you for child abuse :lol: :lol: :lol:

On another note

Evans Cycles have just sent an email advising an extra 15% of all winter clothing at the moment. Variety of stock on sale.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:18 am

Redbull wrote:Dude, making your teenage son wear a shower cap on his helmet.

He's gunna love you - right after he calls social services and reports you for child abuse :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yuk, yuk! :lol: :twisted:

Nah, he's an adult now, he makes his own choices and is rather taken with the silliness of the shower cap. There's a bit of the Monty Python in the lad :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:39 am

well then at least make it an interesting one, not one thats been nicked from the last motel you stayed at :D

some thing like this sharkie one

but maybe its cool now and I'm so old "Damm young people these day......."

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:59 pm

hahaha looks stoned. There are reflective yellow ones on wiggle but maybe expensive?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:46 pm

So would glad-wrap on a helmet look dorky too ? TLL swears by it for his boots, so maybe it would work on a helmet. And Pete's son doesn't seem to have his boots covered - could kill two birds with one stone here. :)

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:26 pm

wombatK wrote:And Pete's son doesn't seem to have his boots covered - could kill two birds with one stone here. :)
Yeah, but you gotta love his rainlegs. While they look like they belong in the G-L Mardi Gras (chaps for bikers), they do work very well and keep the legs better ventilated and cooler. :P

Mandatory helmet law?

KRG

Postby KRG » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Bought a PBK Polaris Neutron jacket. Works a treat and looks the goods. Currently $81!!! Would buy another one in a heart beat. After buying a Mavic for north of $400 and then having a spill (in the wet of course) and losing half of it to the bitumen the price of the PBK is spot on. Crashes happen and jackets may repel water but not friction with the road. Even a small, slow crash could become super expensive if you knick your elbow on the deck.