Spotted a special - Post it in here!

rodneycc

Re: Spotted a special - Post it in here!

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:30 pm

This Limar 650 helmet has come down further at Pushys (previously posted).

http://www.pushys.com.au/limar-650-supe ... large.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or there are these cheap sperm helmets if you want to look like a dick... (some say they are a better improvement than aero wheels!)

http://www.pushys.com.au/kabuto-aero-k1 ... elmet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I'm just about helmeted out to buy them...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:12 pm

http://www.pushys.com.au/kabuto-aero-k1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... elmet.html
I reckon they look like a huge bird looking backward with that eye and all. It could be the answer to the maggi attack. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:30 pm

outnabike wrote:http://www.pushys.com.au/kabuto-aero-k1 ... elmet.html
I reckon they look like a huge bird looking backward with that eye and all. It could be the answer to the maggi attack. :)
Ha Ha! Yeah I didn't think of that. Magpie deterrent. That's brilliant. Hmmm $120 worth of magpie deterrent. Ok maybe not.
BTW he hasn't come after me for a couple of days so I'm hoping its smacked into the back of a car or something...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 pm

BTW he hasn't come after me for a couple of days so I'm hoping its smacked into the back of a car or something...
Hey, where's your sense of solidarity? You shouldn't wish a bingle with a car on anyone. Magpies are vulnerable road users, too. :wink:

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Aushiker wrote:Ritchey Tube Pro Lightweight & Superlight Tubes for $2.99 at Click Bike

Andrew
Good deal but freight kills it - $10 for 5 tubes and $15 for 10 tubes.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:16 pm

3T gears are well priced at PBK, some are 50%+

kingoftheflats

Postby kingoftheflats » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 pm

http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-ultegra-6800-tubeless/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6800 Ultegra Wheels for $336 delivered a good deal in anyone's opinion? Looking for something a bit faster but just as sturdy as my fulchrum 5s, never gone tubeless before - is it a hard thing to learn to do?

petal665

Postby petal665 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:28 pm

They still take normal tires.

Six13

Postby Six13 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:39 pm

kingoftheflats wrote:http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-ultegra-6800-tubeless/

6800 Ultegra Wheels for $336 delivered a good deal in anyone's opinion? Looking for something a bit faster but just as sturdy as my fulchrum 5s, never gone tubeless before - is it a hard thing to learn to do?
Does the freehub take anything other than a 6800 casette?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Six13 wrote:
kingoftheflats wrote:http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-ultegra-6800-tubeless/

Does the freehub take anything other than a 6800 casette?
It's 11-speed but you can run 9 or 10 speed. You don't need to use a 6800 cassette.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:42 pm

kingoftheflats wrote:6800 Ultegra Wheels for $336 delivered a good deal in anyone's opinion?
I would have thought that a pretty good deal!

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:15 pm

Someone needs to give me a dose of realism before I get too excited.

Just about to throw junk mail in the bin and spotted the 'Aldi Special Buys'. They are advertising Mountain Bikes for $200

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... bike-grey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a Crane Premium Mountain Bike (never heard of that make) with front and rear suspension, 21speed front and rear Shimano Derailleur (Tourney), front and rear disc brakes, rapid fire gear levers, alloy frame and alloy rims.

Now I know you only get what you pay for and I'm thinking about this for Mrs Mikeyg.

Is this not a bad deal? Do they use non standard parts, like bottom bracket widths for example?

What do people think? Cheers

2ndeffort

Postby 2ndeffort » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:37 pm

The toolkit for $30 looks pretty good https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... -kit-37pc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably OK for $200, like a lot of the Aldi stuff though, obviously no great shakes and there doesn't seem to be much info/specs in the ad. Suspension on MTB's these days is normally adjustable to cater for the ...(ahem)...variable weights of the likely users. Many of the bikes have air sprung suspension that allows the user to set it up accordingly. Some still use springs and they are normally a bit cheaper. Some even find them superior but in that case you need to get a spring with the right tension to suit your weight, length of travel etc. Some of the high end downhill bikes have custom spring setups built exclusively for the rider. Obviously the good folks at Crane will be looking to avoid the cost of air sprung shocks etc and probably the ongoing requirement to service them. Result being though that a 120Kg guy and a 45 Kg teenager riding the same suspension setup will get different results...to put it mildly.

Also, you cant see the tops of the fork stanchions (legs) but on most modern forks there is at least a lockout dial/switch. If you aren't riding across rough trails, suspension can be a PITA, it bobs up and down and saps you energy for climbing etc. Being able to 'lock-out' the forks used to be a prime feature but is almost a given these days on suspension forks. If you cant lock these out, and I am assuming these aren't going to be used on serious gravity trails, the suspension value is debatable. From the picture there looks no way to lock out the rear shock.

All this said, bike snob part aside, hard to see how you go wrong for $200. The rear arm and the frame doesnt look too serious from the pictures, not sure these are worth it for an upgrade project, you might be able to get a 2nd hand bike or frame on eBay if you are after a project. I bought a Brand New Avanti Torrent frame for $70 that I am building up. If you just want something for the Mrs to roll along the bike path on, the suspension might be a PITA. I think there are some Cell flatbar roadies on Bikeexchange for around $200 that would be better for the bikepaths. If the Mrs wants something for some dirt roads etc you probably cant go wrong though.
Last edited by 2ndeffort on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicomambo

Postby nicomambo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:49 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:Someone needs to give me a dose of realism before I get too excited.

Just about to throw junk mail in the bin and spotted the 'Aldi Special Buys'. They are advertising Mountain Bikes for $200

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... bike-grey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a Crane Premium Mountain Bike (never heard of that make) with front and rear suspension, 21speed front and rear Shimano Derailleur (Tourney), front and rear disc brakes, rapid fire gear levers, alloy frame and alloy rims.

Now I know you only get what you pay for and I'm thinking about this for Mrs Mikeyg.

Is this not a bad deal? Do they use non standard parts, like bottom bracket widths for example?

Exactly my sentiments! You beat me to this post.

Yeah everyone would say that you get what you pay for, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually tried this bike. The price is very tempting and could it really be that bad?

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:54 pm

Nicomambo,

I came across this old post from AUBicycles:

Why NOT to buy supermarket bikes

After receiving numerous emails from people who have problems concerning supermarket bikes, here are a few reasons why you should double-think before buying a cheapy bike from a general supermarket:

Sales assistants don't know their bikes
Not to imply that they are not dedicated. Most supermarket sales assistants selling bikes will also sell you power drills, fishing equipment, computers and tracksuit pants as well. Important is another sale, not an in depth knowledge or love of bikes.

No support for your bike
Unlike a bike shop, in a supermarket a bike will usually be assembled by your average joe, rather than a dedicated bike mechanic. Safety checks are often not performed and not to mention that you won't get much help when there are problems with the bike.

Non standard parts are an common symptom
The bikes are not cheap because of a bizarre coincidence, but rather because the parts are manufactured as cheaply as possible, even if they don't match industry standards. This means that it is not unusual when replacement parts are simply not available.

Good looks don't equal good quality
The cheapy bikes catch your eye with their snazzy downhill Y frames, disc brakes and fat suspension front and back. A real downhill bike in comparison usually has a higher price tag because it is purpose built and will actually work well downhill. Cheap manufacture and materials can make supermarket bikes a serious safety hazard.

The XTR trick
Shimano XTR - a top MTB groupset is recognised for performance and quality. If you are manufacturing the cheapest bike, adding a single XTR part (component) means you can highlight Shimano XTR in your advertising and generate far more interest. But wait, a groupset is far more than one single component. When the rest of components are from the bottom of the bucket, the Shimano XTR screw or Shimano XTR cable tie doesn't really mean much. When purchasing any bike, you need to review the product specs for all of the bike (though note that some componentry mix is fine and can be a relief for the piggy bank).

Fool's Gold
Unfortunately, in many cases a supermarket bike is Fool's Gold. Going to a bike shop will might get you a bike that only looks half as good as the one in the supermarket, and will even cost more. In return you will get a bike that will better match your physic and your riding style. The bike will be professionally assembled and will typically undergo a safety check before each sale (and often another safety check after a certain amount of time or km's). This excludes rare exceptions where a supermarket may have professionals employed to sell quality brands or where a bike shop may fail in their responsibility to honestly serve the cycling market. Your best bet is to go to a couple a of bike shops, ask questions, look around and make an informed choice.

mikeyg63

Postby mikeyg63 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:58 pm

In the back of my mind I kinda new it would be dodgy. I think I will give it a miss. I was considering it for my Mrs but I wouldn't want her to come a cropper because of second rate parts. I've built a number of bikes from scratch and thought I might be able to replace some of the cheaper components but it sounds like the parts are not industry standard.

Oh well, the clothing doesen't look to bad?

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:09 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:Someone needs to give me a dose of realism before I get too excited.

If it doesn't have shock lockouts I wouldn't bother seen a bloke trying to ride something simular to work was the funniest thing I had ever seen. Looked like one those 80,s movies with the bloke at the GYM on an exercise bike that the handles bars move backward and forwards but its the rear suspension bobbing up and down. :lol:

Six13

Postby Six13 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Bikebug have a Colnago 105 on special

http://www.bikebug.com/bikes-frames-roa ... 28144.html

$1700 down from $2362

nicomambo

Postby nicomambo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks for the replies, that clarified a lot of things.
I wonder though if the Crane/Aldi bikes pass the as/nzs 1927:2010 standards. Coz if they're being sold here, they should.

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:53 am

If you are looking for something in the 200 range

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-x126- ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

might be a better by than supermarket bikes. I have seen it on special down to the 220 mark, so not too far off this Aldi. Rigid fork and frame at this price point is going to be much better than suspension.

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:49 am

If you think you'll be upgrading in the future, I suggest buy something you'll be happy with.

Mak70

Postby Mak70 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Xxx

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:59 pm

c r c emailed a last day reminder for OZTOBER $20 off minimum $150 spend, an hour after I got the email tried it but it's not working. Emailed them, noticed with 4hrs left T&C's say can end any time :roll:

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:42 pm

eldavo wrote:c r c emailed a last day reminder for OZTOBER $20 off minimum $150 spend, an hour after I got the email tried it but it's not working. Emailed them, noticed with 4hrs left T&C's say can end any time :roll:
Yep, I tried to claim the discount and couldn't. I emailed them but no reply. :|

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Coincidentally I put in a lost in post form, after parcel 2 of 2 hasn't arrived since they dispatched on 3/9 with TNT. First time ever for a missing online order for me.
Turns out my desired order is about the same as the new parts with Oztober discount, so I suggested that would be a good solution ;)