Great Shopping Experiences

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Great Shopping Experiences

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi All

Had great service from your LBS? Found an online store that exceeds your expectations? This thread is an opportunity to share with BNA your great shopping experiences. In similar vein to the spotted a bargain? thread please share your positive shopping experiences, whether it be online or at your LBS.

Note: This thread is not intended to bag stores you have had bad experiences with, and posts along these lines will be removed. Rather, it is intended to be a useful resource for existing and new members who are looking for someone to do business with. Commercial posts are also out of bounds. If you are unsure about whether your post belongs here or not, please PM a moderator first.

Happy Shopping 8)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Missy24

Re: Great Shopping Experiences

Postby Missy24 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:00 pm

coolies... big MASSIVE thanks to Shane and Scottish Ben and all other Ben's at BSQ QV, you guys rock and your service is damn good as well... and so's the mechanical department and your all terribly nice to me, super work boys... I only buy from you!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:05 pm

Umm, beaten, shoulda known :wink:

BSC. The one at Queen Vic. Huge range, great bunch of blokes who want you to buy a bike instead of sell you one. Their service is excellent.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Max

Postby Max » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:40 pm

River City Cycles in Yeronga, Brisbane. The guys there are straight-up, no BS, no condescension. Always great service. The same goes for Epic Cycles in Paddington, Brisbane.

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Teds Cycles Footscray, Melbourne. Great guys, great stock, uber helpful, amazing prices on superseded stock. They'll answer any dumb question without the "god why do I have to deal with people who aren't as smart as me" attitude. They're my local LBS, and I've been dealing with them for around 5 years and I'll support them to the hilt.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am

Max wrote:River City Cycles in Yeronga, Brisbane. The guys there are straight-up, no BS, no condescension. Always great service. The same goes for Epic Cycles in Paddington, Brisbane.

Max
I agree but RCC are at the top end of the price scale. MB cycles likewise.

Really good retro help from John (AT) Boggo Rd Bike Hub. Was showing off my Fiamme wheels to a young rep who just didn't get it!
Last edited by im_no_pro on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Read the OP - positive experiences only please.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Elite Cycles in Perth. Great service, love all bikes, may not have stock on hadn but can order very quickly and their experience in knowing what you need allows the ordering process to be fine.

Be mindful though that there is no such thing as a minor service. They always want to do the best job so major service is preferred.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Ride Shop in Canberra. I took a wheel in there to get the cassette changed and was happy to leave it there and pick it up a few days later but it was done on the spot and didn't charge me anything! I went back a few weeks later to get another cassette changed and again it was done on the spot and Tim said I could fix him up for it next time I was in the shop because I didn't have any cash, just plastic card and it wasn't worth charging it! He knows that I buy most of my parts online but is still happy to do repairs and maintenace and fit these parts at a reasonable price.

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Also Smith's Cycles in Canberra (Fyshwick), very helpful staff. My LBS of choice.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Bikeworx in Sandgate are good guys. I was on a 100Km ride on my old flatbar bike a while back, and suddenly the FD decided it didn't want to drop into the small ring. We showed up just as they were closing up. They could've turned us away, but instead they brought my bike in, fixed it on the spot, and didn't charge a thing for it. They were really nice guys and were genuinely helpful. Thumbs up!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 pm

The Hills Avantiplus in Castle Hill, NSW.

Great small team of sales and service guys. Bought my 4 bikes from there as far back as Oct 2007 and they've always done their best to go the extra mile with servicing/repairing if something goes wrong. Prices are standard LBS-fare but regular customers (ie. if you've bought a bike there) get a regular 10% discount.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

PH005

Postby PH005 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:00 am

If your after a GOOD 2nd hander in Brisbane, give Wes a buzz at Fusion Recycles, Commercial Rd, Newstead. Nice, friendly, good feel. I still cant believe what I paid for my as new MTB/Hybrid GT, Bargain. And if your lookin to offload your old steed thats the place to go.

hutchy

Postby hutchy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:09 am

Avanti Plus (Fortitude Valley, Brisbane) - Great Service and Good deals (Matt Hopper the owner is such a friendly bloke and knows his stuff).

River CIty Cycles (Yeronga, Brisbane) - Source of knowledge that is amazing. Have spoken with Jeremy whose enthusiasm is contagious and the mechanic named James (I think) who is a dead set legend and is great at what he does.

Bums on Bikes (Strathpine, Brisbane) - Large store with great selection. Had a very friendly, informative and most importantly non-pretentious sales person (named Roberto) help the novice road cyclist that I am.

Hutchy

richiec

Postby richiec » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm

I am not a huge fan of Cell (all their branded stuff) - but I do get their 'almost every other day' email newsletter and have been known to buy thge odd nick-nack from them online. Did so on Tuesday this week - about 11am (new 2 watt 'Egg White' front light - which is mega by the way) and some other stuff. The stuff turned up via courier at work in a tad over 24 hours from the point I hit the purchase button on the Cell website. Hats off Cell dudes. This is impressive.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 pm

richiec wrote:I am not a huge fan of Cell (all their branded stuff) - but I do get their 'almost every other day' email newsletter and have been known to buy thge odd nick-nack from them online. Did so on Tuesday this week - about 11am (new 2 watt 'Egg White' front light - which is mega by the way) and some other stuff. The stuff turned up via courier at work in a tad over 24 hours from the point I hit the purchase button on the Cell website. Hats off Cell dudes. This is impressive.
My Cell road bike turned up in Hobart within 3 business days of ordering - delivery was free as well!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

neville75

Postby neville75 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:22 pm

richiec wrote:I am not a huge fan of Cell (all their branded stuff) - but I do get their 'almost every other day' email newsletter and have been known to buy thge odd nick-nack from them online. Did so on Tuesday this week - about 11am (new 2 watt 'Egg White' front light - which is mega by the way) and some other stuff. The stuff turned up via courier at work in a tad over 24 hours from the point I hit the purchase button on the Cell website. Hats off Cell dudes. This is impressive.
Gotta agree there, have bought some stuff from Cell online and their delivery has been well packaged and very speedy.

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:19 pm

I've been hunting around, researching and trying to make up my mind on what road bike to buy and who to buy it off for weeks now. I knew I wanted to spend around $1200-1300 and was looking to see what the best I could get for my money was. The Pushbike Factory at Campbelltown NSW is a serious mountain biker/BMX shop but I went in anyway. I went from no idea to sold in no time as after asking me all the right questions he asked the one nobody else had asked... Do you mind of it's an 09 model? I said no, he made a call and I will be taking delivery of a new 09 Jamis Ventura Elite with Ultegra hardware, Ultegra STi shifters, 105 brakes, carbon forks & seat stays in a 61cm for $1400.... Thats a $2800 retail bike half price because he rang his supplier on the off chance they had a slow mover in a 61cm. All the reports I've read on the bike are awesome and the guy who owns the shop i one very patient and non pushy man.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

by76

Postby by76 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Megabike at Hyde Park have been fantastic. Putting up with me changing my mind 10 times and answering a million questions relating to road bikes and kit, these guys are incredibly patient and knowledgeable. The guys there are keen to make sure you end up with a bike you will use and enjoy, with the selling part of the process in the background.

drumpayne

Postby drumpayne » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi All,

I cannot believe the guys at the Jason Shortis Avanti Plus dealer in Tweed Heads. These guys rock. They understand that every customer is different and are willing to help put together a deal to suit a customer! I tip my hats to the guys. I would never buy a bike elsewhere.

The lengths they went to put together the right package for me was impressive!

Dac

Postby Dac » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:23 pm

In general not a fan of any local (Eastern suburbs Melbourne) bike shops - take your pick from price, range of products, attitude and I can give give you a dozen reasons why internet shopping and learning to do it yourself is a better option.

but twice today I've had cause to change my mind

I needed a fork cut and installed. I'd heard from a couple of people that Quality Bicycle Repairs http://www.qualitybicyclerepairs.com.au/in Union Rd is good for mechanicals without having spare parts and upgrades shoved down your throat. Turns out it's true - he does good work at a reasonable price, and it was ready within a couple of hours. Seems like a classic word-of-mouth operation - he said he doesn't advertise because he gets all the work he can handle. If nothing else I recommend this place if you would like some confidence that the job won't be done by the work experience kid.

Later I needed a long nut for a Shimano front caliper to finish the build. After trying a couple of shops and starting to think that I'd be waiting a week for it to arrive from England, the bloke in Bike Hub Whitehorse Rd Nunawading swapped one off a stock caliper for no charge (in the middle of serving another customer mind you). I'd never been in there before to buy anything so it's not like he knew me. Wish I could say that I'll be a regular customer as a result but in reality none of those Pacific Brands are of much interest to me. What is interesting is how a small gesture like this can create a good impression - I get asked a lot by non-riders about bike buying and as a result of today would now suggest that this would be a shopping option,.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 am

Old and Rusty wrote:I went from no idea to sold in no time as after asking me all the right questions he asked the one nobody else had asked... Do you mind of it's an 09 model?
You discovered an insider tip among bike buyers. I did the same recently, the shop staff spent time showing me current models for a new commuter however the prices and options were not what I had in mind (or in my wallet) and it just so happened to be that the 09 model that they had on the floor was what I was after and suited my budget.

For a different bike and situation, the new model may be better - plus there is often more flexibility in sizes and optiona compared with older models if a shop is trying to clear stock.
Cycling is in my BNA

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Yep it's always about asking the right questions. I'm just thrilled to have an 8kg bike with Ultegra running gear for $1400.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Scott at Get Biking in Caloundra,I have just started, he treated my family as customers while they were in the shop with me & now my wife wants a bike. :D
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue May 04, 2010 5:49 pm

An annoying shopping experience quickly turned into a good one.

I ordered about $260 of stuff from the Livestrong store to take advantage of the free shipping. I immediately received an email back asking for a bunch of information that I had already entered. It smacked of identity theft to me so I questioned it. Apparently, their policy is to re-ask this info for all orders over $150. I was still reluctant to email it (and I wasn't going to phone it through) so I asked that the order be cancelled and that I would put the order through again but this time as 2 orders. It was cancelled immediately.

So I re-ordered on the 30/4 - 2 orders and both with free shipping.

They arrived today. It took both parcels only 4 days to get from the US to Perth - a timeframe that most Australian based mail order companies cannot match.

All fits perfectly too :D

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 am

Limar Pro 104 helmets on sale at Melbourne bicycle centre.

http://www.bikes.com.au/

Ordered Thursday late AM. Delivered Friday 9:50AM.