Great Shopping Experiences

Dave-in-LK

Re: Great Shopping Experiences

Postby Dave-in-LK » Sat May 16, 2015 1:12 am

Scored a bargain, I was in Perth driving home and did a cash converters run and op shop run, I was looking for a rack

Cash converters in vic park had a Giant boulder 29er hard tail with spram running gear. 2014 model. $229....got them to $200.

Not a scratch on it and reckon a woman owned it as it had a rack on it .....oddly it was for wife, she's rapt as she wants to get into mtb

Was too good to pass up. Often most cashies stuff is way over priced. This was unders.

Happy days

Widget

Postby Widget » Sun May 17, 2015 5:39 am

Has anyone purchased from 'The Bicycle Store' ? http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun May 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Widget wrote:Has anyone purchased from 'The Bicycle Store' ? http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check it out in BNA advance search bar.search.php?keywords=bicyclestore

I haven`t bought from them yet. But someone from here did.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Am very pleased with a Smart Lunar 35 lux front bike light I bought from planetx.co.uk. The light was 8.33 GBP, delivery to melbourne 9.99 GBP, so worked out to be $34.80 AUD. Works out well as a "city" light.

They run on 2xAA's so I use Sanyo Enerloops (now Panasonic) on low beam I get about 12 HRS! I have an old Smart Lunar from the early 90's that still works...
The beam is pretty focused (spot), it is not so bright as to annoy drivers/ others, but still is visible enough. If I am out in the sticks, then the ALDI 500 lumen goes on the bike!
Planet x seems cheap!

Smart bike lights...one of the few things called "smart" that actually is..... :twisted:

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:36 pm

Bicycle Centre South Morang. Opened a few weeks ago and seems to be doing well. Great location on Plenty Road (in the Masters complex) for going up to/coming back from Whittlesea/Humevale/Kinglake. Have had a few chats with Shannon the owner and they're aiming to be a bike shop for the wider community, not just the top end of the market.

Very good service. Knowledgable/helpful staff. Prices and range of stock are pretty good. Also has a full cafe that I haven't tried yet, but wife and Mr 4 give it the thumbs up.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:19 pm

WhingingPom wrote:Bicycle Centre South Morang. Opened a few weeks ago and seems to be doing well. Great location on Plenty Road (in the Masters complex) for going up to/coming back from Whittlesea/Humevale/Kinglake. Have had a few chats with Shannon the owner and they're aiming to be a bike shop for the wider community, not just the top end of the market.

Very good service. Knowledgable/helpful staff. Prices and range of stock are pretty good. Also has a full cafe that I haven't tried yet, but wife and Mr 4 give it the thumbs up.
That's pretty local to me. What bikes do they stock?

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:23 pm

SuperSix wrote:
WhingingPom wrote:Bicycle Centre South Morang. Opened a few weeks ago and seems to be doing well. Great location on Plenty Road (in the Masters complex) for going up to/coming back from Whittlesea/Humevale/Kinglake. Have had a few chats with Shannon the owner and they're aiming to be a bike shop for the wider community, not just the top end of the market.

That's pretty local to me. What bikes do they stock?
Merida, Norco and LaPierre from memory.

Definitely Merida as I've been dropping not very subtle hints to SWMBO on the bike I want and have given staff at the shop instructions to only sell her a Ride 7000 disc should she go in there with a credit card.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Hey, cool WP. Wonder if they're any connection to the shop that was near the gym that closed? They were all about Spec though. Gonna check them out tomorrow. :D

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:47 pm

fat and old wrote:Hey, cool WP. Wonder if they're any connection to the shop that was near the gym that closed? They were all about Spec though. Gonna check them out tomorrow. :D
Definitely do so. Service is as good as Cycle House if not slightly better in some ways, plus I don't have to travel a whole 15 minutes over to Greensborough :D

I don't believe they're any relation to the place that was in the Axis centre. The owner Shannon wants to be a true LBS, not just aiming for the top end of the market. Both he and his offsider Bret are good for a chat and happy to walk you through anything that you're looking for. They've treated me, my "fine" Reid Osprey and Mr 4 (who likes to make sure that they have 24 helmets out at all times) really well. Tell them I said hi when you stop in.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Ordered a few items from Ribble. A few hours later they released a 10% off code. I sent them an email to see if they could apply the code retrospectively to my order. By the time the email was read a day later, 2/3 items were posted. One item was out of stock.

Assistant said they couldn't apply the code since the items were shipped. Fair enough. They asked if I wanted to cancel the remainder of the order so I could apply the code.

I kindly asked if they could send the last item for free since it was worth 10% of the order. They said yes.

jeffturner

Postby jeffturner » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:14 am

I ordered a few items from 2 online bike stores in the last few days. Just by coincidence, I've been advised that my card has been used fraudulently. I'm not going to malign these stores by naming them, as they may be completely innocent but their security may not be up to scratch.
Anybody else had this problem?

Dreams V Reallity

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:53 am

J Q, with service like that, I expect they'll get your custom again?
D V R
Still Dreaming.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 am

jeffturner wrote:I ordered a few items from 2 online bike stores in the last few days. Just by coincidence, I've been advised that my card has been used fraudulently. I'm not going to malign these stores by naming them, as they may be completely innocent but their security may not be up to scratch.
Anybody else had this problem?
Some years ago now I used my credit card to order from c r c and then immediately my card was used fraudently for very large sums. I received my money back and have since only used Paypal. Never a problem since. I read that c r c were storing credit card numbers and they were hacked (or illegally accessed by an employee).

jeffturner

Postby jeffturner » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:56 am

well, c r c was one of those companies I ordered from so......I'm going onto Paypal and avoiding c r c.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:12 am

One more advantage now with using Paypal for OS purchases. They have a return shipping refund service! Will refund up to $45 of return shipping, for whatever reason, even wrong size or colour or whatever. $45 means you can only use surface mail, so your refund is going to be slow, but at least it doesn't cost anything. I just sent a pair of shoes back to Germany, $41.80, and lodged the claim and it's been accepted! Bonus. Makes up for the crappy exchange rate Paypal uses, if you know you can send something back.
Oh and my credit card was recently stopped, and I use c r c. But I've also bought from a lot of other places too. The CC companies do a bulk stop on cards now days if there is even the hint that a database has been breeched.

slowK

Postby slowK » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Widget wrote:Has anyone purchased from 'The Bicycle Store' ? http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, but they are around the corner from our house. It's a genuine bricks and mortar shop, although I have rarely seen anyone inside every time I go past. Haven't been in myself.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Had a couple of reasons to buy through Open Road Cycles in Syndal. Top notch service. I used to think Wiggle was fast for delivery but Adrian can get stuff to Perth far quicker unless you want to pay for DHL. They seem to have a reasonable range even if a bit of it is the previous model. Always some good deals and free delivery in most cases.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:34 pm

Excellent experience with Bicycle Centre Boggo Road.

Bought a new bike from there and communicated with John via email (I am based in NSW), and he was very helpful and easy to deal with.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Good Cycles in Docklands were great the other day. Dropped my bike in at 8:30 with 5mm of rear gear cable buried somewhere in the brifter.

Picked it up on my way home with the damage being a whole $38 ($8 for the cable and $30 for cable remnant retrieval).

Service was attentive and came with a smile. As an added bonus, they're 2 minutes walk from work's bike lockup and if I'm feeling really lazy offer a pick up/drop off service.

Elvisidal

Postby Elvisidal » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:21 am

the old guy at Hadley's New Lambton
it's rare when someone in retail doesn't try and upsell you on stuff you don't need thinking of their profit margin.

2rismo

Postby 2rismo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:36 am

Went to buy a bike for my 8yo daughter who had earned one through raising money for Jump Rope for Heart. In reality it was a $100 Target/BigW voucher type deal so my wife and I pocketed that and went to the LBS instead to get some actual advice rather than just picking based on colour.

Tom and Kate at Simple Cycles in Shellharbour were amazing with my little girl and treated her like the customer while dealing with us at the same time. Absolutely rapt with the service and have since bought an Electra cruiser for my wife and a Trek X-Caliber 8 29er for myself.

I'm currently shopping for a road bike and looking at Trek Domane/Giant Defy type stuff. Rather than ride around the carpark to work out if I like the Domane, Dave (owner of both Simple Cycles stores) is bringing his personal Domane 5.9 in for me to borrow for a week to see if I like living with it. No obligation, no stress, just an interest in seeing me on a good bike that I'll get great use out of.

Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 pm

First time I've bought from CE, ordered on Friday (shipped and arrived in Brisbane on Sunday), went out for delivery on Monday, except I forgot to put my building's floor on the address. TNT re-delivered today. So, I gotta give them kudos for the speedy shipping, I was originally hesitate that I'd have to wait a week or two.

Anyway, the chains and cassette I order came outside of the standard Shimano packaging, so I'm guessing they're being bought off Shimano to be 'used' on bikes they're 'selling'?

Ballmead

Postby Ballmead » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:50 pm

I ordered a Shimano wheelset from Chain Reaction on the 3rd March and it arrived here in Sydney yesterday.

Wow, I am truly shocked at the speed of the delivery.

The carrier they used was Skynet Worldwide Express; who when they aren't planning the destruction of the human race; are very fast with shipping ;)

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:59 pm

I'm shopping for a new bike and have had excellent helpful advice from staff at Mitcham Cycles and Standish at Unley. Since this is th epositive thread I won't name the shops that were completely the opposite and where I won't be going back.

I also want to name Cafe Society on Anzac Highway who fixed a minor thing on my bike completely for free a couple of weeks ago! I would love to go back and buy a bike from them but they don't have what I want so I'll have to settle for getting my services done there and buying other stuff.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:36 am

Planet cycles Woolloongabba in Brisbane. Rang yesterday morning looking for a specific bike for my daughter. They built it that day. I went in with my daughter in the afternoon. Daughter was apprehensive with the colour (colour looked different to on line). One of the staff went and got different parts to remove some of the colour. In the end, daughter decided it was ok as it was. Success
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right