Quick Commuter?

queequeg

Re: Quick Commuter?

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:32 pm

MichaelB wrote:
queequeg wrote: Yup, should be very similar to DaveOz's bike, though I opted for a Carbon Fork. I think DaveOz has the CrMo one. I'll be swapping the 46/38 SRAM Apex Crankset for a SRAM Rival 50/34 (I think DaveOz did SRAM Red...he has deeper pockets than me!)
What surprised me was how quickly my Wife gave the all clear :-)
But wait till she whips out her shopping list ......
She must be keeping tabs on my spend, and mentally picking out the largest diamond she can source. I keep telling her, "but honey, I just bought you a house. A bicycle is chump change compared to that". Apparently though, a house does not count as a gift.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:01 am

Just got the e-mail I have been waiting for...the Lynskey Cooper CX has shipped, so I should have it in around a week.
With all the rain we had last week, I was really wishing it would hurry up. I stopped riding my Hybrid because I just didn't enjoy it on the new commute, but my road bike is not set up for wet weather. Chewed through half my brake pads in one day (they had barely shown any wear after 4,000km of dry weather cycling), bike (and rider!) covered in road muck from lack of mud guards.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:10 am

queequeg wrote:Just got the e-mail I have been waiting for...the Lynskey Cooper CX has shipped, so I should have it in around a week.
With all the rain we had last week, I was really wishing it would hurry up. I stopped riding my Hybrid because I just didn't enjoy it on the new commute, but my road bike is not set up for wet weather. Chewed through half my brake pads in one day (they had barely shown any wear after 4,000km of dry weather cycling), bike (and rider!) covered in road muck from lack of mud guards.
I have a spare pair of mud guards, Planet Bike Speedez model, if you are looking for some (BNIB). Also, did you purchase the Lynskey through Andy at Bikepro. I ask because I am getting serious about buying a Lynskey Cooper and he has priced one up without wheelset for me. How were they to deal with and I am keen to know how yours rides compared to what you have/had excepting I won't be buying the CX model?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:00 pm

moreegolfer wrote:
queequeg wrote:Just got the e-mail I have been waiting for...the Lynskey Cooper CX has shipped, so I should have it in around a week.
I have a spare pair of mud guards, Planet Bike Speedez model, if you are looking for some (BNIB). Also, did you purchase the Lynskey through Andy at Bikepro. I ask because I am getting serious about buying a Lynskey Cooper and he has priced one up without wheelset for me. How were they to deal with and I am keen to know how yours rides compared to what you have/had excepting I won't be buying the CX model?
I have a new set of SKS Chromoplastic mudguards ready to go on the bike. I couldn't use the ones off my hybrid because the stays were already cut to the size required for that bike, so I just included the mudguards when I sold that bike.
I bought my Lynskey direct from the USA. They were running a promotion on the Cooper CX full build. With the AUD doing very well at the time, and the special price of USD$2699, I did some sums and realised that even with shipping + GST + Customs Charges, I could get the bike direct a bit cheaper directly from Lynskey, and it would include the Lynskey Build Options that BikePro doesn't offer (and the free Bike Fit that BikePro offers would be useless to me in Sydney). Lynskey actually directed me to Bike Pro initially, but when I explained that they were almost 1000km away from me they just said to order direct.
I went with the Industrial Mill Finish, Black Decals and a Full Carbon Disc Specific Fork, plus a Cane Creek 110 Headset. The frame looks stunning.

If you were looking at the Cooper model, you just missed a cracker of a one day deal direct with Lynskey. They had a Cooper + 105 Full Build for USD$1999!

I'll be getting my Cooper CX built up as soon as my replacement handlebars arrive (I didn't like the FSA Omega Compact bars, so I ordered a 3T ErgoNova Pro the same as on my Road Bike).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:47 pm

queequeg wrote: ........ a Full Carbon Disc Specific Fork, ........
Any idea of what the axle to crown length is ?

Looking fwd to seeing some pics.

My Kona Honky Inc now has 750km on it and I LOVE IT !!!! Handles great, climbs well and descends great too. Oh and brakes the same wet or dry !!! :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:
queequeg wrote: ........ a Full Carbon Disc Specific Fork, ........
Any idea of what the axle to crown length is ?

Looking fwd to seeing some pics.

My Kona Honky Inc now has 750km on it and I LOVE IT !!!! Handles great, climbs well and descends great too. Oh and brakes the same wet or dry !!! :D
I got the Winwood Muddy, which is 398mm Axle to Crown. It will take up to a 700x44mm tyre (with mudguards!)

I just missed out on the Whisky Carbon Fork, as they only just started shipping those. Was hoping for the Whisky No 7 Disc Specific Fork(that is what was specced on the build, to replace the Winwood once they become available).

WIll get some pictures soon. I unpacked the boxes on Friday night to check contents (all there). My handlebars have just arrived today, so I just need to get the whole thing to the bike shop for assembly (no time to do it myself unfortunately).

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Bike will be getting built up next week, so I should have it for next weekend. Photos to follow :-)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:38 pm

queequeg wrote: I got the Winwood Muddy, which is 398mm Axle to Crown. It will take up to a 700x44mm tyre (with mudguards!)
OK, the interesting thing is that the Kona one that is on the 2011 bike is 375mm A2C (+/- a mm or two), so is a true road spec fork, but have NEVER seen another one anywhere (except for custom ones).

Can't build it yourself :?: Where are your priorities man :?: :?: :?:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:48 pm

MichaelB wrote:
queequeg wrote: I got the Winwood Muddy, which is 398mm Axle to Crown. It will take up to a 700x44mm tyre (with mudguards!)
OK, the interesting thing is that the Kona one that is on the 2011 bike is 375mm A2C (+/- a mm or two), so is a true road spec fork, but have NEVER seen another one anywhere (except for custom ones).

Can't build it yourself :?: Where are your priorities man :?: :?: :?:
It's the downside of having a 2 year old and 2 month old baby in the house. At a minimum I need the headset installed and steerer tube cut by the shop, since I don't have those tools. I can do everything else but I have zero spare time to do it in. I'd still be building the bike in 2 months time! It took me 10 weeks to build my road bike for the same reason, so this time I just want the bike done in one go without using any of my time. Since I have to take the frame/forks to the shop anyway, I might as well just make one trip and give them the whole box of parts.

As for the forks - they are cyclocross forks, not road forks :-)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:44 pm

I'll get some pics up this weekend I think. The mechanic got the airhorn working again. He blasted it at me, damn it's loud! :oops:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Picked up the bike on Friday, have only just had a chance to get some pictures of it using our cheapie camera:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm

The lack of sharpness gives it a heavenly, dreamy effect :) Fenders by whom?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Where is the Brooks ? :wink:

Looks sweet. Very, very SWEET !! Only comment is that you appear to have the shifters a fair way around the bend (compared to me).

What tyres ?

Bugger.

My front disc is bigger than yours !!!!

Only thing I can brag about ....

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Nice bike queequeg. Are you happy with it?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Xplora wrote:The lack of sharpness gives it a heavenly, dreamy effect :) Fenders by whom?
Fenders are SKS Chromoplastic (P45s)

Camera is a cheap Canon IXUS 70. Need to dig out the SLR to do it justice :-)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 pm

MichaelB wrote:Where is the Brooks ? :wink:

Looks sweet. Very, very SWEET !! Only comment is that you appear to have the shifters a fair way around the bend (compared to me).

What tyres ?

Bugger.

My front disc is bigger than yours !!!!

Only thing I can brag about ....
I haven't really checked the positioning yet, but it looks ok. The hoods are almost level with the flat section of the bar. I have not had a chance to ride the bike yet :-( Hopefully I will be given permission to go for a ride tomorrow or wednesday!

Tyres are Schwalbe Marathon Plus SmartGuard. Heavy, but just about bulletproof. I've had one puncture in 25,000km, and that was a very unlucky case of a needle sharp tack going right through the top of the tyre at a perfect 90 degree angle. It does not seem to have affected the weight of the bike dramatically. I can easily pick up the whole bike in one hand. The only major item missing from the bike is the rack, which will be a Ti (Tubus Airy or Carry), which will add ~350-500g.

Both Discs are 160mm. The front fork is not rated to take anything higher than this.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:29 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Nice bike queequeg. Are you happy with it?
I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I am extremely happy with the build. The guys at the shop had a fun test ride I am told. I tried to sneak a ride when I brought it home on Friday, but my wife caught me half way down the driveway...drat! At least that confirmed that I need to drop the saddle by a few cm, so fingers crossed I get to do that tomorrow so I can give it a shake down cruise :-) Then I have to fit my lights to it so I can ride to work on Thursday morning (I leave home just before sunrise).

The bike shop did a great job on the fenders. Nice clean lines on the stays, and they overcame the length problem by mounting the caliper side stay onto one of the disc mounts instead of using the fender mount. Looks fantastic!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:25 am

Ohhh, niiiiiiice!

All that's missing is a Swallow and an Italian Road Bike Mirror. :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:27 am

Looks like the rain has set in just in time for you to test out the Lynskey. I love riding mine in the rain. Disc brakes that work, mudguards to keep you 'dry' and a frame that will last forever.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:47 am

Indeed, quite a bike.

Is it just me, or does that little brace between the chain and seat stay in front of the rear brake look like an afterthought??

Jim

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm

familyguy wrote: ..Is it just me, or does that little brace between the chain and seat stay in front of the rear brake look like an afterthought??
Yes, sort of. The Kona Honky Inc is the same, and the reality is it's probably the easiest/cheapest way of adding strength with minimal cost/tooling/fuss.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:52 pm

familyguy wrote:Indeed, quite a bike.

Is it just me, or does that little brace between the chain and seat stay in front of the rear brake look like an afterthought??

Jim
I could always ask them, but all the Lynskey Frames that are designed for Disc Brakes have this brace (both Road & MTB frames), and I suspect that for the braking force with discs it was deemed necessary. Certainly it is not an afterthought, and obviously it is not required on both sides of the frame so they left it off to keep the weight down.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:58 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Looks like the rain has set in just in time for you to test out the Lynskey. I love riding mine in the rain. Disc brakes that work, mudguards to keep you 'dry' and a frame that will last forever.
Well, if the rain continues then the maiden voyage (on Thursday) will definitely be a wet one. I just went out and checked the positioning and I was wrong about the saddle - it is pretty much spot on where it is. The lesson, don't go getting on the bike in bare feet!
I think the hood positioning on the bars needs to be adjusted slightly rearward, or I can achieve the same thing by swapping the 110mm stem for the 95mm one I have in my spare parts drawer. Height of the bars is good, and I could even go up a notch by flipping the stem over to give me +6 degrees instead of -6 degrees. I don't really want to unwrap the bars that were so expertly done for the sake of 10mm.
At least the rainy afternoon gives me a chance to get the lights mounted and get the bike ready to ride.

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Ohhh, niiiiiiice!

All that's missing is a Swallow and an Italian Road Bike Mirror. :wink:
+1

Or any Brooks saddle really.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:39 pm

queequeg wrote:
familyguy wrote:Indeed, quite a bike.

Jim
I could always ask them, but all the Lynskey Frames that are designed for Disc Brakes have this brace (both Road & MTB frames), and I suspect that for the braking force with discs it was deemed necessary. Certainly it is not an afterthought, and obviously it is not required on both sides of the frame so they left it off to keep the weight down.
I dont doubt that its required, phsyics-wise, but did it have to be a straight, flat piece? Curve it a little, engrave it, make it bigger with a Lynskey branded cutout, something.

Jim