Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:42 pm

MIght just be a platform for fenders :lol:

queequeg

Re: Quick Commuter?

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:40 am

familyguy wrote:
queequeg wrote:
familyguy wrote:Indeed, quite a bike.

Is it just me, or does that little brace between the chain and seat stay in front of the rear brake look like an afterthought??

Jim
I could always ask them, but all the Lynskey Frames that are designed for Disc Brakes have this brace (both Road & MTB frames), and I suspect that for the braking force with discs it was deemed necessary. Certainly it is not an afterthought, and obviously it is not required on both sides of the frame so they left it off to keep the weight down.
I dont doubt that its required, phsyics-wise, but did it have to be a straight, flat piece? Curve it a little, engrave it, make it bigger with a Lynskey branded cutout, something.

Jim
Umm, it is not a flat piece, it is round. Tubing is exactly the same size as the chainstay. The ISO Disc Mount right next to it is stamped with Lynskey branding. To be entirely honest, I hadn't even noticed the brace. I was too busy looking at the rest of the frame. Personally I think it is nit picking.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 am

So, since you don't have time to ride it, do you at least have time to weigh it ?

It would be interesting to compare with my Kona, as they are very similar spec wise and size wise from what I can see.

BTW, what size id your frame (effective TT) ?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:56 am

queequeg wrote: Umm, it is not a flat piece, it is round. Tubing is exactly the same size as the chainstay. The ISO Disc Mount right next to it is stamped with Lynskey branding. To be entirely honest, I hadn't even noticed the brace. I was too busy looking at the rest of the frame.
"Form follows function", after all. It looks better in detail, certainly.

queequeg wrote:Personally I think it is nit picking.
Yes, I would agree. And I'm sure you'll enjoy riding it as much as any person enjoys riding their bike. Many tailwinds to you, sir.

Jim

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:So, since you don't have time to ride it, do you at least have time to weigh it ?

It would be interesting to compare with my Kona, as they are very similar spec wise and size wise from what I can see.

BTW, what size id your frame (effective TT) ?
12.2kg, with fenders and all accessories. So, once I add the rack it will be 12.5kg. Each of my tyres (Marathon Plus 700x28c) is 740g, so that is contributing almost 1.5kg. I can save almost 500g by dropping to the same tyre in a 700x25c. Alternatively I may switch to a lighter tyre like the Marathon Supreme 700x28c. They are only 310g each, so the bike would be 860g lighter. I guess it is a balance of speed vs functionality. I hate changing flats on my daily commute. On the Marathon Plus I have had one flat in ~23,000km of use. In comparison, while I have been waiting for my new bike to arrive I have been using my road bike to ride to work. The roadie is fitted with Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres. I have had three flats in 8 weeks, and the rear tyre is now showing the blue puncture protection layer through the rubber. So, they are not as good for protection, and they don't last as long (I get around 10,000km out of the Marathon plus), the Durano's have done around 4,000km. So, looks like they get about half the life.

I went for an L frame, with a 57.5cm effective Top Tube.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:14 pm

queequeg wrote: 12.2kg, with fenders and all accessories. So, once I add the rack it will be 12.5kg. Each of my tyres (Marathon Plus 700x28c) is 740g, so that is contributing almost 1.5kg. I can save almost 500g by dropping to the same tyre in a 700x25c. Alternatively I may switch to a lighter tyre like the Marathon Supreme 700x28c. They are only 310g each, so the bike would be 860g lighter. I guess it is a balance of speed vs functionality.
So, if you changwe the tyres, we'd be pretty equal (I have the 28C supremes on, and I like them - they were 90g ea LIGHTER than the Conti UltraSports !!). Mine is a 56cm eff TT, so a tad smaller.

Mine is sitting at 11.5kg as was pictured earlier (SKS fenders weigh bugger all, they are on their way). I could easily save 1kg by a better set of wheels, and the Brooks is not the lightweight Ti version either.

Them Marathon Plus's are a heavy pair of beasties :shock:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 pm

MichaelB wrote:
queequeg wrote: 12.2kg, with fenders and all accessories. So, once I add the rack it will be 12.5kg. Each of my tyres (Marathon Plus 700x28c) is 740g, so that is contributing almost 1.5kg. I can save almost 500g by dropping to the same tyre in a 700x25c. Alternatively I may switch to a lighter tyre like the Marathon Supreme 700x28c. They are only 310g each, so the bike would be 860g lighter. I guess it is a balance of speed vs functionality.
So, if you changwe the tyres, we'd be pretty equal (I have the 28C supremes on, and I like them - they were 90g ea LIGHTER than the Conti UltraSports !!). Mine is a 56cm eff TT, so a tad smaller.

Mine is sitting at 11.5kg as was pictured earlier (SKS fenders weigh bugger all, they are on their way). I could easily save 1kg by a better set of wheels, and the Brooks is not the lightweight Ti version either.

Them Marathon Plus's are a heavy pair of beasties :shock:
Yep, they are heavy tyres, but they are just about indestructible. Since I have been riding my road bike to work, I have a good baseline for comparisons on speeds & times, so I will quickly find out what advantage/disadvantage they give me. Of course, my Lynskey is replacing my Hybrid, not my road bike. On my Hybrid I was about 4km/h slower than my road bike.
The tyres will be the first things to change. I have to order some new Duranos for the road bike, so I might throw in some Marathon Surpremes at the same time. I also have some Bontrager Hardcase Racelites (700x32c) in my garage, but my Open Pro rims will really only go up to a 28mm tyre. I can probably give them a go though.

I'll have to weigh the wheels and see how they compare. There is not much else on the bike to change, but it certainly feels a lot lighter than my Hybrid, which had to be around the 15kg mark (or more).

I just weighed my road bike, and it comes in at 10.8kg. So, simply swapping the tyres to the Supremes should see me get very close to my road bike weight.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:10 pm

First proper ride on the Lynskey this morning. I got all the weather too, so both brakes and mudguards got a workout.

Basically, it is a sweet sweet ride. Very comfortable, and the SRAM Apex Groupset eats hills for breakfast (whereas I eat Banana Bread!). I climbed my first 20% gradient hill without getting out of the saddle. Top speed this morning was just over 72km/h.

Disc Brakes (well, the front one at least) is squealing like a stuck pig, but I am told this will vanish as the pads/rotor beds in. That is really the only quibble!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:20 pm

:D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Great news !!!

Have clocked over 1,200km on mine so far :mrgreen:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:08 pm

First commute on the Lynskey today. Almost matched my times on the road bike, despite the extra weight. The gearing was so much easier for getting up those nasty hills.
On my trip home tonight, I had a chance to tackle the killer hill. On my road bike it is a case of shifting to 39x28, standing up and hoping you can get to the top without falling over. On the Lynskey I just casually shifted into 34x32 and stayed in the saddle all the way up the hill. For the first time I was able to see the screen on the GPS as I rode up the hill (normally when standing up on this hill, you are leaning so far forward that you can't see the computer).
Anyway, I watched as the gradient readout climbed from 10% to 15% to 18%, then it just kept going.....22%...finally peaking at 26%. No idea how accurate that really is, but I actually pedalled up the entire hill while sitting in the saddle :-)

Overall, extremely happy with the ride. Incredibly smooth, nice and fast. Not as nimble as the road bike, but much more comfortable for commuting. Only item missing is my pannier rack, which has just been ordered.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Lynskey has now clocked 1500km. The discs have pretty much stopped squealing. My Tubus Airy rack finally arrived in the post the other day, and as I was at home sick the last couple of days I have been unable to fit it. I was feeling better this afternoon so I unpacked it all and have it ready to go, so tomorrow is my first commute with panniers on the Lynskey.
Thanks to DaveOz for the tips about the heels clipping the panniers. I had to move the bags as far aft as they would go to give me enough clearance. The Tubus Airy rack weighs next to nothing, but when fitted to the bike it is rock solid.
You'll have to let me know how you mounted the AyUp light to the rack (with the Saxon Caps). I have three sets of AyUps, so I thought I could put one on the rear during winter. There just doesn't seem to be a logical place to put it.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:01 am

What seat you got on that?
My Masi is fitted with a brooks and has a carridace bag. Fits everything into it. No sweaty back and fast as well. Commuting into headwind today I had 27.4km/hr
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:03 am

[quote="queequegThe Tubus Airy rack weighs next to nothing, but when fitted to the bike it is rock solid.
You'll have to let me know how you mounted the AyUp light to the rack (with the Saxon Caps). I have three sets of AyUps, so I thought I could put one on the rear during winter. There just doesn't seem to be a logical place to put it.[/quote]

Creative use of cable ties. I'll post some photos today.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 am

Sorry the bike's a bit dirty, I blame the weather.

This setup works well and the AyUPs seem happy there and allow you to run 1, 2 or zero panniers.

I always run them set constant on and the blinky to flashing.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 pm

DaveOZ wrote:
queequeg wrote:The Tubus Airy rack weighs next to nothing, but when fitted to the bike it is rock solid.
You'll have to let me know how you mounted the AyUp light to the rack (with the Saxon Caps). I have three sets of AyUps, so I thought I could put one on the rear during winter. There just doesn't seem to be a logical place to put it.
Creative use of cable ties. I'll post some photos today.
Thanks for the pics. I think I should be able to rig that up quite nicely. I have my Ortliebs configured exactly like yours, and also angled down (your ones appear to be level). I have about 3cm of clearance from the bags to my heels, so I can see why they suggest using front pannier bags with this rack. That said, my Backroller Plus bags work perfectly.
My bike is also filthy. With all this rain I have not bothered cleaning it, so it looks well used (which it is!)

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:54 am

Whatcha guys think of the Commuters on this site? http://www.baseurban.com/... Either thinking about those or the Focus flatbar road bikes with disc brakes and Sram... :twisted: