Quick Commuter?

Xplora

Re: Quick Commuter?

Postby Xplora » Sat May 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Swapped in the Shimano XT M770s and my clipstacks are likely to stop. MILES better release than the M324s I'd borrowed off my wife's bike. Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:20 am

Going to post a pic a few weeks once all the kit arrives. Rack, trunkbag, lights, fenders, airzound and bottle cages shazam. Quick commuter indeed!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Waiting for the babyseat to arrive. Bike is looking suitably pimp :) Once the rack arrives, it shall be complete. For now ;)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Xplora wrote:Waiting for the babyseat to arrive. Bike is looking suitably pimp :) Once the rack arrives, it shall be complete. For now ;)
I am considering a swap from my Trek 7.5FX over to the Kona Honky Inc. I can't see any photos here (work blocks photo sharing sites), so apologies if this seems redundant, but does the Honky Inc have rack mount eyelets as well as fender eyelets?

Also, I noticed you got a 59cm frame. How tall are you? I am 6'1" (185cm), which sounds a bit tall for the 56cm frame, but 59cm sounds a bit big.

How's the clearance on the tyres when they are 28mm? On my Trek 7.5FX I have 28mm Marathon Plus Tyres as well as Fenders (SKS), and still have plenty of room (I use dto run 32mm Marathon Plus Tyres on it).

I like the look of the Honky Inc. The Dics Brakes overcome the main issue I have with other frames designed for larger tyres, and that is the use of Cantilever brakes. I was debating whether to build up a new commuter from a Surly Crosscheck Frame and reuse my wheels/drivetrain/fenders/rack, but that would leave me using either V-Brakes with the cable-pull convertors, or switch to Cantis. The other option is to just cut my losses and buy the whole new bike. I've been on the Hyrbid for 3 years now and I think I am over it. Riding into work, the difference between my road bike and Hybrid is amazing. Road Bike = almost 31km/h avg speed, Hybrid is typically 25 to 26km/h avg/speed. My road bike is steel too! So, I want similar speed from my commuter bike without losing the versatility of the Hybrid.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:56 pm

It's defined as an all year all weather commuter. All the commuter needs are covered. Eyelets aplenty! I reckon you could get bigger tyres than 28s without stress, but you MIGHT struggle to fit fenders as well as 32s. Discs are nice, be prepared to eat your frame though getting the wheels in and out of the wheel stays. Failstyle.

It's hard to say if this is too big for me or not. I've had some pretty brutal knee issues since riding this bike, but I think a lot of that is a seat that was too high. I've moved it forward and down today, and that's helped matters, but I'd really prefer to have the bike set up to sprint from lights, but then again I've only been riding a year and I haven't had this bike fitted. I reckon you should be able to make a 56cm frame work if you want something a bit nippy.

I honestly think a lot of the speed differential will be fit and geometry. You just can't pleb along comfortably on a fast setup. You have to ride fast.

Espresso_

Quick Commuter?

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Xplora wrote: I reckon you could get bigger tyres than 28s without stress, but you MIGHT struggle to fit fenders as well as 32s.
I run 28c tyres (sometimes 25c) with sks bluemells mudguards on my Honky Inc. Ive also fitted 30c cyclocross tyres and they are fine, albeit no mudguards.

While tyres do vary despite having the same nominal size,I don't like your chances with 32c and mudguards. The issue will be limited to the rear wheel, front has heaps of clearance. The big thing to look for is tyre "height" rather than width - you'll end up hitting the seat post part of the frame before anything else with high tyres (especially reinforced ones like marathon pluses!).

E

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Xplora wrote:It's defined as an all year all weather commuter. All the commuter needs are covered. Eyelets aplenty! I reckon you could get bigger tyres than 28s without stress, but you MIGHT struggle to fit fenders as well as 32s. Discs are nice, be prepared to eat your frame though getting the wheels in and out of the wheel stays. Failstyle.

It's hard to say if this is too big for me or not. I've had some pretty brutal knee issues since riding this bike, but I think a lot of that is a seat that was too high. I've moved it forward and down today, and that's helped matters, but I'd really prefer to have the bike set up to sprint from lights, but then again I've only been riding a year and I haven't had this bike fitted. I reckon you should be able to make a 56cm frame work if you want something a bit nippy.

I honestly think a lot of the speed differential will be fit and geometry. You just can't pleb along comfortably on a fast setup. You have to ride fast.
For the Honky, I wouldn't use anything more than 28mm. However, the Marathon Plus tyres have a pretty large profile due to the extra rubber from the protection layer. As I commute every day, I hate nothing more than changing tyres due to punctures. I have covered 23,000km using Marathon Plus tyres now, and have had one solitary puncture caused by a large needle sharp tack going right through the whole tyre casing.

According to the sizing guide, I sit pretty much in the middle of the 56cm and 59cm frames. I think the suggestion is that if you have two frames you can use, go for the smaller one. That might be a good thing as Cycling Express has the 56cm for $1614, but I'd need to go and sit on the actual bike to be sure. My road bike is a 57cm frame, but it is a racing frame with a short wheelbase. I don't want to ruin it from constant commuting.

Looking at the photos of the Honky Inc, the eyelets for rack and fenders seem to be in a weird location. This may limit what rack/fenders I can use.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Got the rack on finally, needs some filing to get it properly fitted, the mudguards are on but the rear one was stuffed up, the AZ is having some peculiar problems as well, and one of my maagic shine batteries is hating life as well :( But it's getting there! :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:07 am

Just saw that the 2012 Kona Honky Inc appears to have moved the ridiculous fender/rack mounts to the standard location close to the rear wheel axle. That might bring it back into contention if my budget won't handle a Ti Lynskey Copper frame. Other than the fender mounts moving, and the colour of the frame changing, I can't see a huge difference in the specs.
Will have to revisit this one I think. Lynskey Cooper CX is very nice, and if my budget will let me do that then this will be good, otherwise it is back to the steel option, with the Kona looking good.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Took my son for a ride with the Topeak seat. Very nice ride even with the extra 20kgs on the back. Be warned people - I had to remove the seat post to get the babyseat to fit :shock: My vision of speedy changes between the bag and seat is a myth, sadly. It's not that bad though. :)

Also, I need to modify the Drybag MTX to fit under the seat. The clearance for this rack is very strange, I think you're right quee. What is the purpose of having it so high? The justification must be that it keeps the panniers away from the surface in bad weather, but I'm just not feeling that this is the bike for an all weather task?

BTW, disc brakes have been working a treat in poor weather and with the boy on the back. No real concern that the bike wouldn't stop, or should be stopping better.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Xplora wrote:Took my son for a ride with the Topeak seat. Very nice ride even with the extra 20kgs on the back. Be warned people - I had to remove the seat post to get the babyseat to fit :shock: My vision of speedy changes between the bag and seat is a myth, sadly. It's not that bad though. :)

Also, I need to modify the Drybag MTX to fit under the seat. The clearance for this rack is very strange, I think you're right quee. What is the purpose of having it so high? The justification must be that it keeps the panniers away from the surface in bad weather, but I'm just not feeling that this is the bike for an all weather task?

BTW, disc brakes have been working a treat in poor weather and with the boy on the back. No real concern that the bike wouldn't stop, or should be stopping better.
I think the stated purpose for having the mounts so high was to clear the disc brake calipers. This overlooks the fact that there are disc specific racks that overcome this problem already, as do frame designs where the calipers are mounted on the chainstay instead. I'd scratched the Kona Honky Inc soley because of the stupid mounts. However, the photos for the 2012 model on the Kona Website show that they have shown some common sense, and the eyelets are now right where they should be. I also noted that the crankset is now a 50/34 compact double instead of a 50/39, which makes is a bit more flexible when used with a 12-30 rear cassette (which you can do with the new Shimano 105 Cassettes I think). So, if I go the steel frame then the Kona Honky Inc is back at the top of my list.

Still debating my options. I think it will come down to my budget, which is yet to be finalised. I'd love to do the Ti Frame, but I'll go Steel if the finances say no.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:45 pm

They've gone BACK to the 50-34. That's on my 2010... they said they changed the design due to user feedback but obviously it didn't translate into sales? It's taken me months to learn how to use the 50-34 STI setup after using a MTB flatbar 26-36-46 triple for 12 months, because it's a different approach to changes.

As far as having a rack that clears the calipers, they are joking right? The standard rack goes through rear brake cable :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:44 am

Xplora wrote:They've gone BACK to the 50-34. That's on my 2010... they said they changed the design due to user feedback but obviously it didn't translate into sales? It's taken me months to learn how to use the 50-34 STI setup after using a MTB flatbar 26-36-46 triple for 12 months, because it's a different approach to changes.

As far as having a rack that clears the calipers, they are joking right? The standard rack goes through rear brake cable :roll:

Lucky for me I don't want to use a rear rack :) I'm sure I'll have fun with mine (2011) when it arrives in a few weeks

It looks there were bugger all chnages on the 2012 version - didn't even chnage the colour (except seat and bar tape...)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:18 am

MichaelB wrote:
Xplora wrote:They've gone BACK to the 50-34. That's on my 2010... they said they changed the design due to user feedback but obviously it didn't translate into sales? It's taken me months to learn how to use the 50-34 STI setup after using a MTB flatbar 26-36-46 triple for 12 months, because it's a different approach to changes.

Lucky for me I don't want to use a rear rack :) I'm sure I'll have fun with mine (2011) when it arrives in a few weeks

It looks there were bugger all chnages on the 2012 version - didn't even chnage the colour (except seat and bar tape...)
Colour has gone from Charcoal to Metallic Green. I'd say that is a bit of a difference :-)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 am

queequeg wrote: Colour has gone from Charcoal to Metallic Green. I'd say that is a bit of a difference :-)
Hmm, looked pretty charcoal when glancing quickly at it. I prefer the grey myself :D The Kona decal is a bit more subtle

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:00 am

Ok, I finally ended my indecision, bit the bullet and ordered the Lynskey Cooper CX :-)

Espresso_

Quick Commuter?

Postby Espresso_ » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:34 am

Nice. Pics when you get it please!

Did you go for a frame or complete build?

E

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Espresso_ wrote:Nice. Pics when you get it please!

E
Complete build using their current online promotion, but put the Whisky Carbon forks on instead of the CrMo standard ones. Industrial Mill finish with Black Decals.

Once the kit arrives I will looking at changing the crankset to a 50/34 compact (instead of the supplied 46/38), and fitting a rack and fenders. I'll also swap the tyres over to the Marathon Plus, and keep the Cyclocross tyres for offroad adventures. I opted not to have them build the bike, so I should get a box full of pieces. No ETA as yet. Website says 4-6 weeks.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:54 pm

queequeg wrote:

E
Complete build using their current online promotion, but put the Whisky Carbon forks on instead of the CrMo standard ones. Industrial Mill finish with Black Decals.

Once the kit arrives I will looking at changing the crankset to a 50/34 compact (instead of the supplied 46/38), and fitting a rack and fenders. I'll also swap the tyres over to the Marathon Plus, and keep the Cyclocross tyres for offroad adventures. I opted not to have them build the bike, so I should get a box full of pieces. No ETA as yet. Website says 4-6 weeks.
Sweet !!! Discs or canti ?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:09 pm

MichaelB wrote:
queequeg wrote:

E

Sweet !!! Discs or canti ?
Frame is Disc specific - fitted with Avid Road BB7s. Check out their website for the full specs

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:19 am

Oh boy, this one I gotta see. 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:38 am

queequeg wrote: Frame is Disc specific - fitted with Avid Road BB7s. Check out their website for the full specs
Sounds like it is the same as DaveOz's bike. Lucky bugger !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:

It looks there were bugger all changes on the 2012 version - didn't even change the colour (except seat and bar tape...)
After looking at the specs between 2011 and 2012, there are a few geometry changes as well.

Unless specified, (for the 56cm frame only) they are the same :

Front to Centre : 2012 = 610 mm, 2011 = 606 mm (+ 4 mm)
Wheelbase : 2012 = 1009 mm, 2011 = 1005 mm (+ 4 mm)
Fork Length (Axle to Crown) : 2012 = 401 mm, 2011 = 373 mm (+ 28 mm)
Fork Offset : 2012 = 45 mm, 2011 = 43 mm
Standover height : 2012 = 803 mm, 2011 = 787 mm (+ 16 mm)

Interesting changes. They have also dropped the 49cm (smallest) size.

The major chnage I like is that the fork length on the 2011 is more like a road fork length :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:
queequeg wrote: Frame is Disc specific - fitted with Avid Road BB7s. Check out their website for the full specs
Sounds like it is the same as DaveOz's bike. Lucky bugger !!!
Yup, should be very similar to DaveOz's bike, though I opted for a Carbon Fork. I think DaveOz has the CrMo one. I'll be swapping the 46/38 SRAM Apex Crankset for a SRAM Rival 50/34 (I think DaveOz did SRAM Red...he has deeper pockets than me!)
What surprised me was how quickly my Wife gave the all clear :-)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:55 pm

queequeg wrote: Yup, should be very similar to DaveOz's bike, though I opted for a Carbon Fork. I think DaveOz has the CrMo one. I'll be swapping the 46/38 SRAM Apex Crankset for a SRAM Rival 50/34 (I think DaveOz did SRAM Red...he has deeper pockets than me!)
What surprised me was how quickly my Wife gave the all clear :-)
But wait till she whips out her shopping list ......