Quick Commuter?

Xplora

Re: Quick Commuter?

Postby Xplora » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:21 pm

BikeNow in Victoria... it was 1450 bucks, the 2010 model, shipped.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Got the box in the post today, tried to pull together the wheels and handlebars... no pedals even though it was discussed?! and it appears they've snuck a Shimano disc brake set onto the bike?

I'll be making a phone call and having some words, so we'll see how we go?

Espresso_

Quick Commuter?

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:52 pm

My 2010 model kona honky inc (white) came with shimano discs. I've since swapped the front one for bb7.

It also came without pedals.

E

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:20 pm

REALLY?

Time to make some complaints to the manufacturer then, because BB7s are on the Kona website.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Xplora wrote:REALLY?

Time to make some complaints to the manufacturer then, because BB7s are on the Kona website.
Often there is a line that goes "parts are subject to change" or the like. Often Aus and US spec's are different.

Espresso_

Quick Commuter?

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Xplora wrote:REALLY?

I'm not fussed.

I saw the bike in the shop, I knew it had Shimano brakes before I bought it. I've since changed the front over to bb7 anyway because the Shimano broke under some pretty extreme load. I got a good price on the bb7 as a result.

E

Espresso_

Quick Commuter?

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:43 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
Often there is a line that goes "parts are subject to change" or the like. Often Aus and US spec's are different.
Exactly. That's the deal frequently.

E

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:46 pm

Another reason to buy UK/US? :roll:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun May 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Well, it got put together and has had my wife's M324 pedals attached temporarily, needs a few tweaks in the front brakes and the fit but all in all, a good purchase. I'm yet to work how much quicker this bike is, i'm taking it to work tomorrow :mrgreen:

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun May 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Xplora wrote:Well, it got put together and has had my wife's M324 pedals attached temporarily, needs a few tweaks in the front brakes and the fit but all in all, a good purchase. I'm yet to work how much quicker this bike is, i'm taking it to work tomorrow :mrgreen:
About as fast as the legs powering it.. 8)

But, it might be easier to go fast and also more agile.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun May 01, 2011 11:50 pm

A lot of it could be better aero profile, smoother ride, better gears, nippier tyres (she's got 700x35s, this one has 700x28s). The gears are a killer, because your performance loss in the low range equipment is punishing when you're trying to spin up the hills :cry: I've tried to solve it by using the HTFU principle and just use the flat gears and stand up but that only works so far up the hill :shock:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon May 02, 2011 8:35 am

The commute this morning was just what I was hoping for (except that I was running late :oops: ).

1. Much better ride on the cromoly (rather than the wife's aluminium), the bum really appreciated it, despite the harder saddle, just rolled over the bumps I hate and know so well. The acceleration was REALLY something on the little downhill I like to push it down (and hate on the way home), jumped up 3 gears into top gear, pumped a couple times and I was flying down the hill. I've got a number of commutes to figure out a decent cadence gear, I was spinning too slow. The compact low was similar to what I'm used to feeling at the front on the MTB gears, we'll see on more commutes. It was perfect for the 30-40 degree incline under James Ruse drive on the bikepath, only lost a bit of pace because the handlebars feel alien.
2.Roadbars feel alien. Struggling to find a really comfortable spot. Feels like I need the bars back an inch to make the hoods feel better. It's slowing OK, which did concern me a bit initially. New braking style, new braking system, new handlebars, I've survived so far.
3. 105 gears feel lighter than the gears I've ridden before, but it's smooth. 2x10 vs 3x9, not feeling much of a difference yet. Doesn't mean it's not there, but I've got no idea what gear I'm cranking, no feedback from the hoods at all. I guess it's not too important though.
4. Slight rubbing on the front disc. Gotta get that sorted, it's annoying more than dangerous. VERY annoying.

Only got 20 minutes under my belt, but I'm really pleased that there is a substantial improvement in all aspects of the bike, and the Ride. I'm hoping to get more aggressive in the straights soon, but I'm mindful that I'm fast enough to have a pretty serious accidents now, and I need to sleep earlier to have my wits about me doing 30+ clicks.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon May 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Well, I'm a %$#%$#. :oops:

Found out that 700x28 Ultrasports with virtually no grip don't like mounting concrete edges at speed the HARD way. Bike never got up onto the 1inch high path off the wet grass, and I blitzkrieged my new bike :oops: The hood was shifted around quite a bit and I had to pull out some dirt and grass clippings after I tried to recover from the epic fail that was my attempted pedestrian pass. This bike is NOT a MTB, by any stretch.

Everything seems to be OK, I took it for a mercy run to Universe Cycles in Parramatta and they rescued me from paranoia - I need to trust the hoods and the discs on this bike, and I couldn't trust either of them after the prang.

This bike is MUCH less steady on its feet than the Trek 7.3 flatbar the wife has. I'm feeling seriously high off the ground, and everything is less inspiring... I'm getting massive amounts more horsepower into the wheels (smoother drivetrain) but...

I am definitely not coping with my Quick Commuter just yet :lol:

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon May 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Keep at it, soon the drops will feel good and you'll be used to the different steering response.

Funny, it's been the MTB that's bitten me going up curbs and things stupidly. I just learnt to slow down for the road bike I guess.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Xplora wrote:Found out that 700x28 Ultrasports with virtually no grip don't like mounting concrete edges at speed the HARD way. Bike never got up onto the 1inch high path off the wet grass, and I blitzkrieged my new bike :oops: The hood was shifted around quite a bit and I had to pull out some dirt and grass clippings after I tried to recover from the epic fail that was my attempted pedestrian pass. This bike is NOT a MTB, by any stretch.
I'd suggest that a road bike with high pressure tyres aren't good for riding on wet grass. If you want to ride on wet grass, get the MTB out again (not with slicks on either). I actually have setup a bike specifically to ride on wet grass passing peds. It has a MTB tyre on the front with about 35psi in it. [/quote]

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon May 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Nobody wrote:
Xplora wrote:Found out that 700x28 Ultrasports with virtually no grip don't like mounting concrete edges at speed the HARD way. Bike never got up onto the 1inch high path off the wet grass, and I blitzkrieged my new bike :oops: The hood was shifted around quite a bit and I had to pull out some dirt and grass clippings after I tried to recover from the epic fail that was my attempted pedestrian pass. This bike is NOT a MTB, by any stretch.
I'd suggest that a road bike with high pressure tyres aren't good for riding on wet grass. If you want to ride on wet grass, get the MTB out again (not with slicks on either). I actually have setup a bike specifically to ride on wet grass passing peds. It has a MTB tyre on the front with about 35psi in it.
[/quote]

'Tis very true, road tires give the straight line speed and speed on paved areas, soft MTB tires allow jumping on and off stuff. It's a matter of which benefits you in your commute. You need a roadie head and a MTB head, and to remember which one you're wearing at all times.

I though hard about the Honky Inc when I was looking for my commuter, it's a nice looking, and nicely specced bike.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

wookie661

Postby wookie661 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Tis the reason ... Falalalala, la laaa laaa laa.
But seriously, tis the reason i bought a hybrid bike as a commuter. Fast on the road or path and good on dirt or grass. In saying that i have still had a fall from trying to ride onto a path at roughly a 45 degree angle, and suffice to say, i stacked it.
So when ever i need to go up any sort of raise like that, at any angle, even on a bike path, i just lift the front wheel, which is what you should be doing anyway no matter what bike you ride. Its a good habit to get into.

But good luck with the new commuter and may it bring you many kms of joy.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon May 02, 2011 11:20 pm

I've been playing flatbar hybrid for a year now, just doesn't suit my personality at all. I've decided I've just got to concentrate on getting a fast cadence and ignore raw speed. In hindsight I think I heavily overestimated the ability of this bike to handle anything more than a bump in the road.
Nobody, it's funny because after the limp attempt to mount the footpath again, I'm shaking my head and wondering what I was thinking. It's just got nothing that says "I'll make this". I'm definitely staying away from kerbs :lol:

I'm just glad the pedals unclipped before things got really bad :oops:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 03, 2011 12:07 am

Bugger. Still, you don't have to worry about yer first stack anymore. :wink:

Learn to love kerbs just a little bit. I didn't know I could side hop a kerb on a roadie until that AusPost van dived across...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

lang

Postby lang » Tue May 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Xplora wrote:
lang wrote:
Xplora wrote:2010 Honky Inc on evanscycles.com for 1085 AUS plus postage. Damn... how are the local shops going to survive?
Thanks for pointing this out. I've been wanting this bike recently to fill a role as my "perfect commuter", and I've just placed my order for it! w00t!
What size did you get?? I'd love a test ride! :mrgreen:
Hey there Xplora,
Sorry I haven't replied to you until now. I got a 56cm frame. What size did you end up getting?

Great to read that you decided on the Honky Inc. That price you got it for is practically as cheap as it was to buy it from Evans Cycles, so good find!

I also have a bit of pulsating in my front brake. I'm pretty sure that the disc isn't spinning true, but I've been too lazy to try to do anything about it such as loosen and re-tighten the bolts for the rotor. (Mine came with the Avid rotors, BTW).

Tough luck with the stack on the grass. Gotta respect that wet grass when on slicks! I changed my tires to some 25's, to make it a bit faster and to avoid rubbing on my mudguards (SKS Chromoplastics). It's lost the ride suppleness that it had on the 28's though.

Here's a pic of mine, just for the hell of it.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Nice!
I'm thinking about going to 25s just for convenience sake. Hard work finding 28 tyres/tubes etc etc on c r c LOL The loss of suppleness is a stress though, I DIG having a smoother bike than my wife's 35 equipped flatbar. Wondering if I need a new stem, the 59cm I got feels quite far away. That could be a der fred issue though, I'm not used to the dropbars, and they definitely feel comfy in the drops.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 04, 2011 6:02 pm

I ghetto'd my bell onto the bike. Cut up the plastic housing attachment and cable tied it down :D

Espresso_

Quick Commuter?

Postby Espresso_ » Tue May 10, 2011 8:15 pm

lang wrote:
Here's a pic of mine, just for the hell of it.
Wow - I have the same saddle on my Honky Inc! Plus I have SKS Chromoplastics too (albeit black)! Great taste!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Back in town after 11 days away... something high on the list is a ping bell.. this bell is one of those bring bring dealies, and the damn bell rattles like a pirate's cutlass. Not a fan.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu May 19, 2011 11:53 pm

Xplora wrote:Back in town after 11 days away... something high on the list is a ping bell.. this bell is one of those bring bring dealies, and the damn bell rattles like a pirate's cutlass. Not a fan.
I've got an old "ring ring" type bell on my fixie that has a mind of its own and rings every time I go over a bump in the road. Actually useful sometimes as I don't have to get out of the drops to use it... but annoying 90% of the time.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA