Quick Commuter?

queequeg

Re: Quick Commuter?

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:33 pm

simonn wrote:
queequeg wrote:this frame can take "larger winter tyres", but that you'll need long reach brakes as a result.
I do not think they mean that you need longer brakes if you are using larger tyres, but that you need longer brakes because you can use larger tyres whether you actually do or not. I have long caliper brakes and, yes, you do need them. Although I imagine the calipers off your commuter would be long enough.
Yeah, I think that is what they meant. In my case, I'd have buy new brakes because I am on a flat-bar hybrid with V-Brakes at the moment. I am swapping the crankset on the Hybrid to a Tiagra Triple the same as yours, and I already have mudguards/rack etc that would simply swap over if required.
simonn wrote:
queequeg wrote: My commuter has some rock solid Mavic A719s on it, but the smallest tyre they will take is a 28mm one. If the frame can take these wheels then it would be a perfect match.
I imagine they would fit. Not so sure about with mudguards though.

Flag me down some time on Epping Rd when you are on your commuter and, if we have time, we can give it a go...?
My main concern with the calipers is that you can't easily get the tyre through them when replacing a flat. The calipers on my road bike even came with a note about tyres wider than 23mm causing an obstruction even with the quick release open. This may be specific to that Brake Caliper/Brake Shoe combination though.

As for the mudguards, I am running the SKS Chromplastic ones, but they might be a bit wide for a road frame. I can't remember exactly which ones I have. 40mm I think. They are easy enough to replace though.

Oh....I promise that if I flag you down, I won't run into you head on!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:20 pm

queequeg wrote:My main concern...
I just had a thought which might cause some problems with your plans...

Your rear wheel might have a too long axle length. I had a rear wheel with 135mm axle on my OCR2. It also fits my wifes OCR2. I read somewhere that the rear spacing on the OCR frames is 132.5mm so that it can take both 130 and 135mm axles. The Kinesis requires a 130mm axle - the 135mm rear would not fit.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:27 pm

simonn wrote:
queequeg wrote:My main concern...
I just had a thought which might cause some problems with your plans...

Your rear wheel might have a too long axle length. I had a rear wheel with 135mm axle on my OCR2. It also fits my wifes OCR2. I read somewhere that the rear spacing on the OCR frames is 132.5mm so that it can take both 130 and 135mm axles. The Kinesis requires a 130mm axle - the 135mm rear would not fit.
I should be ok - my A719s are laced to Ultegra 6700 Hubs, which are 130mm spacing.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:15 am

2010 Honky Inc on evanscycles.com for 1085 AUS plus postage. Damn... how are the local shops going to survive?

lang

Postby lang » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Xplora wrote:2010 Honky Inc on evanscycles.com for 1085 AUS plus postage. Damn... how are the local shops going to survive?
Thanks for pointing this out. I've been wanting this bike recently to fill a role as my "perfect commuter", and I've just placed my order for it! w00t!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 pm

lang wrote:
Xplora wrote:2010 Honky Inc on evanscycles.com for 1085 AUS plus postage. Damn... how are the local shops going to survive?
Thanks for pointing this out. I've been wanting this bike recently to fill a role as my "perfect commuter", and I've just placed my order for it! w00t!
What size did you get?? I'd love a test ride! :mrgreen:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Salsa Vaya vs Honky Inc?

Is the 105 Groupset more worthwhile that a better frame featureset?? Is the Vaya's parts that bad? They are about the same price.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 pm

That Vaya Ti looks like something special...will have to keep that one in mind for a future "dream bike" build. Not sure about the 26" tyres though...

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Salsa Vaya is a nice option, other stuff around includes the Merida CycloCross Disc, a disc brake Cross bike. Not sure about the rack mount options though.

I wouldn't be going 26" tyres on a drop bar bike either, theres not much option compared to 700C, and theres no point if you're running drop bars. A flat bar, however, maybe...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm waaay too tall to be getting on any bike with 26" wheels LOL The Vaya comes with 700CC in my size.

Is general opinion that groupset isn't super important? Because the Vaya looks to be a mishmash of a number of different MTB and road bike parts?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Groupsets are wear items and should need replacing way before the frame.

If you really like the frame, go for it. Parts can be replaced short or long term depending on your level of need or want.
My Kona came with a mixup of parts, lasted about three weeks. 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Returning to the thread, I've finally got the cash too sink into this weapon.

Is Clarence St Cycles near City Bike Depot? I think I've got a trip to the city to make!

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Clarence St? Did you win the lottery?

:twisted:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Clarence (Clarence/King Sts) and CBD (Kent/Erskine Sts) are about 5 minutes apart. Whilst you are in the City also check out Jet Cycles who are also on Clarence St on the other side of King St. Make sure you leave your wallet at home!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Expensive stores? :( I've had both recommended by friends and elsewhere in the thread. I'm looking at Salsa, Kona and Trek *probably*, and those should be the best places to start. The Jet Cycles place only seems to do Merida and Specialized, and both of them don't appear to have a 105 groupset/disc brake bike.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Had a serious stack on Wednesday last week, stopped the shopping sadly, but I think I've narrowed it down enough, and added another contender.

All discs, all steel frames, all dropbars.

Kona Honky Inc - 105 groupset, with Ultegra RD. Carbon fork and BB7 discs.
Salsa Vaya - SRAM Apex, BB5 discs, only 34-48 front ring and comes with 42mm tires. Steel fork.
Jamis Aurora Elite - comes with a rack (useless, I need another rack for a babyseat anyway) and fenders, Apex groupset and 50-34 front rings. 28mm tires. Steel fork.

Kona might actually be the cheapest, but really its not a big difference but I can't quite pick the differences. Salsa and Jamis are very closely priced, I'm worried the Salsa is a bit too slow, because its kitted out less quick than the other two but the carbon fork is the only weight difference between them all. When will I get time to shop LMAO :lol:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:03 pm

What a cheeky bloke! I found the "preview" on the Jamis from January, I guess he only just finished the review. No comparison to the Salsa which I was expecting... although he does mention that it would appear that the Jamis is better for road riding. I don't like riding off road, so that might be the answer... how does it go against the Honky Inc though LOL

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 pm

simonn wrote:My roadie seems to fit your needs...? I looked at steel, but although I am hardly a weight weenie it seemed just a little too heavy (I do have 500M of climbing each direction on my commute though).
Beat me to it .. I was going to suggest a Kinesis frame as well ... I have gone with the Racelight Granfondo LTD but yours would be good too.

Andrew

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:22 pm

LOL moment today. Rode home with a couple people my wife works with, bloke with a carbon Giant and a lady with flat bar commuter. I kept my own with the bike I had, I think durability and road feel is more important than weight. The Apex mega low gearing looks like a winner, but it remains to be seen I guess. Have to call Anaconda tomorrow for a price and availability, hopefully check out the Vaya and Honky Inc on the weekend.

I've just not ready to build a bike from scratch sadly, as much as the idea tickles my fancy!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 pm

The saga continues! Emailed Anaconda about the Jamis Aurora Elite and they got back to me REALLY fast (well done lads) but they only brought out the 50, 55 and 59cm models, and the 55 is sold out... 99% sure I need a 57cm frame, so it's looking like the Vaya or Honky is it. Fortunately CBD Bikes stocked both :) Thinking that the Vaya could be the winner, even though its not quite as quick, I can hit them up for the faster crankset and swap the tyres over for fast or slower riding. Maybe. LOL

Too many decisions, it's been months now!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Xplora wrote:LOL moment today. Rode home with a couple people my wife works with, bloke with a carbon Giant and a lady with flat bar commuter. I kept my own with the bike I had, I think durability and road feel is more important than weight.
Agree. Especially for a road bike where higher tyre pressures make a harsher ride.
Xplora wrote:I've just not ready to build a bike from scratch sadly, as much as the idea tickles my fancy!
Fair enough. It is usually more expensive and time consuming.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Anyone able to make head or tail of this?? http://www.competitivecyclist.com has a fit calculator that spat this out.

The French Fit
Seat tube range c-c 59.6 - 60.1
Seat tube range c-t 61.3 - 61.8
Top tube length 56.6 - 57.0
Stem Length 10.8 - 11.4
BB-Saddle Position 72.5 - 74.5
Saddle-Handlebar 58.1 - 58.7
Saddle Setback 8.0 - 8.4

Your Measurements
Gender M
Inseam 87.5 cm
Trunk 71 cm
Forearm 34.5 cm
Arm 66 cm
Thigh 64.5 cm
Lower Leg 56.5 cm
Sternal Notch 153 cm
Total Body Height 186 cm

If I read this right,

SIZE C-T TTH STA HTA RC FC WB FL OF BBH SO HT BBS FD
mm 560 540 550 73.5° 72° 410 595 995 400 45 270 800 150 68 28.6

GEOMETRY LEGEND:
RC = Chainstay Length
BBH = Bottom Bracket Height
FC = Front To Center
SO = Standover
TTH = Top Tube Length
WB = Wheelbase
HT = Head Tube Length
STA = Seat Tube Angle FL = Fork Length
BBS = Bottom Bracket Size
HTA = Head Tube Angle OF = Fork Offset
FD = Front Derailleur Clamp Size

Should fit OK? Sweet Lord help us... is there any wonder that cycling is just too hard for noobs to get into?????? :oops:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Pulled the trigger on a 59cm Kona Honky Inc, should arrive on Wednesday.

I feel really sorry for the LBS's,because they CANNOT compete. I did up a request for around 2000 bucks of accessories (kid seat, Schmidt dynamo hub, new wheels etc) and it just wasn't able to compete.

On the other hand, the bike was around the same price as Evans Cycles in the UK after duty and GST was applied, plus a 50 dollar shipping fee. I think the local shops can compete on price, however the turnover in Oz just isn't high enough to warrant the volumes you'd have to turn over (we are talking about Woolsworths type volumes) to get these prices all the time.

Still. I'm looking forward to getting this bike finally :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Xplora wrote:Pulled the trigger on a 59cm Kona Honky Inc, should arrive on Wednesday.

I feel really sorry for the LBS's,because they CANNOT compete. I did up a request for around 2000 bucks of accessories (kid seat, Schmidt dynamo hub, new wheels etc) and it just wasn't able to compete.

On the other hand, the bike was around the same price as Evans Cycles in the UK after duty and GST was applied, plus a 50 dollar shipping fee. I think the local shops can compete on price, however the turnover in Oz just isn't high enough to warrant the volumes you'd have to turn over (we are talking about Woolsworths type volumes) to get these prices all the time.

Still. I'm looking forward to getting this bike finally :D
So who did you get it from then ? And what was the price of the bike ?