Hub Dynamos in Australia

find_bruce

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:19 pm

petie wrote:Interesting, I think that's probably incorrect about the bearings though. That would be the magnets in the dynamo feeling very notchy. Anyway, good to hear they persisted.

I have finally hooked up my Philips saferide and lumiring after receiving them as a gift nearly 2 years ago. The saferide lives up to the hype, haven't managed to ride behind myself to check the lumiring, but I'm sure it's satisfactory. I built up a pd8 with velocity blunt sl's and they are so much more pleasant to ride than my previous wheels.

I can't remember whether I posted here or not, but I have been running another pd8 and kLite on my mtb in all weather and terrain for about 9 months without issue.
Nailed it Petie, magnets, not bearings - 26 poles on q PD-8 & if anyone cares to count there are exactly 26 "notches" in each wheel revolution.

Good to hear more positives about Kerry's lights - do you recall which klite you have ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

petie

Postby petie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:
petie wrote:Interesting, I think that's probably incorrect about the bearings though. That would be the magnets in the dynamo feeling very notchy. Anyway, good to hear they persisted.

I have finally hooked up my Philips saferide and lumiring after receiving them as a gift nearly 2 years ago. The saferide lives up to the hype, haven't managed to ride behind myself to check the lumiring, but I'm sure it's satisfactory. I built up a pd8 with velocity blunt sl's and they are so much more pleasant to ride than my previous wheels.

I can't remember whether I posted here or not, but I have been running another pd8 and kLite on my mtb in all weather and terrain for about 9 months without issue.
Nailed it Petie, magnets, not bearings - 26 poles on q PD-8 & if anyone cares to count there are exactly 26 "notches" in each wheel revolution.

Good to hear more positives about Kerry's lights - do you recall which klite you have ?
I think it's a 600 or maybe 1000lumen bar light and a helmet setup roughly the same. I have the big switcher box on the fork for charging battery packs during the day too. I love it cause I literally unpacked it, hooked it up and rode off into the sunset. Simple and easy and does what I need. Have crashed a fair few times with it and it still runs perfectly.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:48 am

Hopefully someone can help with a specific query re my PD-8 dynohub.

My steed currently has the normal 9mm open dropouts, and I want to run the DT Swiss 9mm Thru Bolt setup to get a better clamping on the front end with the discs.

The PD-8 has a steel 'axle' pressed in the step down from 9mm to the std QR of 5 and a bit mm.

If I press out this steel centre shaft, will the hub fall to bits, or will I be a happy camper, install my Thru Bolt and be away ?

The tech dwg on the Shutter Precision website isn't clear enough to provide enough detail.

The other option is to go the PD-8X route, but not keen on that as it's a bit exxy atm.

Ta.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:48 pm

A good question Michael - the problem is that I haven't come across anyone who has disassembled the hub, even for minor maintenance like replacing the bearings. An extra $80 on the hub is a lot - no mention if they do it in red either :)

Two suggestions on who might know are (1) Kerry from K-Lite - he sells SP dynamos & has come up with creative solutions before or (2) email Wouter gambietfietsen@xs4all.nl he is a bit of an odd duck (think religious zealot) but he does know a lot about hub dynamos. His webpage said in April he was working on how to disassemble an SP dynamo - may have got further, or not.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Cheers. Have already tried Kerry but no luck. Will try Wouter, thanks

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:42 pm

I'd try IDC too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:28 pm

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Spotted this online and thought it handy enough to mention for the times you have the luxury of being close to a power socket whilst touring. :)

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/168018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/3 ... 89/?e=tech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:26 pm

rifraf wrote:Spotted this online and thought it handy enough to mention for the times you have the luxury of being close to a power socket whilst touring. :)

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/168018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/3 ... 89/?e=tech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheap enough but cannot charge an iPad.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:13 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:Spotted this online and thought it handy enough to mention for the times you have the luxury of being close to a power socket whilst touring. :)

Another link for the same product (?) where its suggested in the forum exchange below the description, with regards iPad:

"Build in Smart Chip recognize to most mobile devices on port 1 support latest iPad up to 2.4A charging. So only port 1 support 2.4A? other three 1A I assume? If I charge an Ipad + three other devices, does it provide the same charging speed as opposed to charging one device only?

GregFiona on 05/11/2014 - 11:41
Good point here! I suppose the "fast" port is fast only if you don't charge anything else at the same time(the description in the packaging mentions "when indipendent charging" and it says max 12.5 watt. :(

+1 vote
Lukian on 05/11/2014 - 11:42
Yes. Read the back of the box. (Although the Rep should have posted this information, and the ebay listing should have it written out too..)

So that's 1.5A for the fast charge socket if you are using another at 1A."

http://www.bulksales.com.au/media/catal ... /3_1_6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So same price, same product, but this ebay link has free delivery
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/168366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271638353811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've put my money where my mouth is and have just now pressed the button on it and bought one. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:07 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:

Another link for the same product (?) where its suggested in the forum exchange below the description, with regards iPad:

"Build in Smart Chip recognize to most mobile devices on port 1 support latest iPad up to 2.4A charging. So only port 1 support 2.4A? other three 1A I assume? If I charge an Ipad + three other devices, does it provide the same charging speed as opposed to charging one device only?

GregFiona on 05/11/2014 - 11:41
Good point here! I suppose the "fast" port is fast only if you don't charge anything else at the same time(the description in the packaging mentions "when indipendent charging" and it says max 12.5 watt. :(

+1 vote
Lukian on 05/11/2014 - 11:42
Yes. Read the back of the box. (Although the Rep should have posted this information, and the ebay listing should have it written out too..)

So that's 1.5A for the fast charge socket if you are using another at 1A."

http://www.bulksales.com.au/media/catal ... /3_1_6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So same price, same product, but this ebay link has free delivery
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/168366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271638353811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've put my money where my mouth is and have just now pressed the button on it and bought one. :)
Useful information that was not provided on the product description, so better but not enough output to charge another device concurrently with an iPad.

That's why Aushiker and myself chose the Anker 5-Port 40W USB Charger. More expensive for sure, but much more versatile - able to charge my iPad, iPhone, camera, cycling computer and GoPro all at the same time. Fast. :D

And now even cheaper on eBay than when we bought them...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:10 pm

That would be right :)

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:22 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote: Useful information that was not provided on the product description, so better but not enough output to charge another device concurrently with an iPad.

That's why Aushiker and myself chose the Anker 5-Port 40W USB Charger. More expensive for sure, but much more versatile - able to charge my iPad, iPhone, camera, cycling computer and GoPro all at the same time. Fast. :D

And now even cheaper on eBay than when we bought them...
Aushiker wrote:
That would be right :)

Andrew
I concur with your assessment and reasoning for it. :)
Mines probably really more for home use as I'm finding my dynohub and storage battery seems to be adequately coping with my touring needs to date.
Garmin 800, cell phone, rechargeable headlamp.
This may change though if I follow my temptation in regards a GoPro camera.
I don't own an iPad and am "currently" happy enough with my Macbook Air.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:20 pm

For any other tight wads like myself, another option that might be worth consideration with free shipping on Kogan :wink:

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/4-port-usb- ... l-charger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:44 pm

From K-Lite, Australian distributor of SP dynamos ...
The new SP PD-8X sets an entirely new standard for hub dynamos. It is more efficient, technologically advanced and simpler than competing hub dynamos while also being 40 grams lighter in weight than any QR15 hub dynamo available. Current tests show the PD-8X to have achieved a new record breaking efficiency of 78 percent (i.e. watts of mechanical energy converted directly in watts of electrical energy - minus wasted muscular effort that would otherwise be propelling rider and bicycle forward), ranking it above the SP 8 series hub dynamos which previously ranked highest in the world at 72 percent.

Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:08 am

MichaelB wrote:The other option is to go the PD-8X route, but not keen on that as it's a bit exxy atm.
This might help then, Bike24 is currently selling the PD-8X in black or silver for 111.68 Euros (that's with VAT removed), with xch rates that works to $160, about what you probably paid for your PD-8 hub elsewhere. And the PD-8 is going for 78.07 Euros w/o VAT, so $112. The Centerlock version of the PD-8, the PL-8 is only a few bucks more but not yet in stock. Don't know about postage but.
All these are far cheaper than the current sellers of SP hubs on Ebay and locally, Bike24 seems to be branching into touring bike territory with Salsa and Surly frames, Revelate Design bikepacking gear and now stocking Shutter Precision. A pity then that Bike24 just stopped selling Ortlieb to Australia.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:14 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:
MichaelB wrote:The other option is to go the PD-8X route, but not keen on that as it's a bit exxy atm.
This might help then, Bike24 is currently selling the PD-8X in black or silver for 111.68 Euros (that's with VAT removed), with xch rates that works to $160, about what you probably paid for your PD-8 hub elsewhere. And the PD-8 is going for 78.07 Euros w/o VAT, so $112. The Centerlock version of the PD-8, the PL-8 is only a few bucks more but not yet in stock. Don't know about postage but.
All these are far cheaper than the current sellers of SP hubs on Ebay and locally, Bike24 seems to be branching into touring bike territory with Salsa and Surly frames, Revelate Design bikepacking gear and now stocking Shutter Precision. A pity then that Bike24 just stopped selling Ortlieb to Australia.
Postage to Australia is 20 euros and seems to be that for each 600 euros approx of goods. I had thought it was a flat rate but got the extra charge one time a couple of years back.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:
Thanks for that, but the PD-8X is only available in 32 or 36 hole, and my front rim is 28, so that kills it as well. Bugger, as it's a brilliant price even with shipping (I'd grab a few other things as well).

The setup works well from me at the moment, so will stick with that and look at the next frame (some time when I am retired) being thru axle, but given the current finances, the RS685 gear is the last big purchase for a while !!!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:33 pm

For a good price for a hub dynamo, have a look at the various Shimano dynahubs with a complete wheel build, from the French web-store xxcycle. You can get a good quality front wheel (700C or 26") complete for about $100, and their shipping is quite reasonable.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Do they do a thru axle version ?

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:09 pm

The PD-8X being discussed is the through-axle version.

E

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Shimano reportedly do a thru axle version the DH-T708. The only place I have seen it is bike-components.de for €84+ shipping, but they only list the 8mm thru axle version, not the 15mm thru axle & your choices are 32 or 36 hole.

xxcycle do not appear to list it
Espresso_ wrote:The PD-8X being discussed is the through-axle version.
You might have missed the bit where MichaelB said
MichaelB wrote:the PD-8X is only available in 32 or 36 hole, and my front rim is 28, so that kills it as well. Bugger, as it's a brilliant price even with shipping

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Stupid question time. Can you setup 2 bikes to use the same wheel?

I have a 28 hole 29er rim and want to get it built up and swap it between my cx bike and my mtb.

Is it just a matter of setting up the wiring on both bikes?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Stupid question time. Can you setup 2 bikes to use the same wheel?

I have a 28 hole 29er rim and want to get it built up and swap it between my cx bike and my mtb.

That is what I am planning to do. No reason I can think of why it would not work.

Andrew

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:02 am

Mugglechops wrote:Stupid question time. Can you setup 2 bikes to use the same wheel?

Aushiker wrote:That is what I am planning to do. No reason I can think of why it would not work.
That is what I am doing. Assuming of course that the bikes use the same axle and same width drop outs, it does work. I have lights fitted to both bikes & just swap the wheel over