Hub Dynamos in Australia

rangersac

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby rangersac » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 am

Espresso_ wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
I have no idea. All I know Kerry is in Australia and Intelligent Design ...is also shipping its product directly from Shutter Precision or least out of Taiwan.

Andrew
I recently purchased a dyno hub from Kerry and can confirm that he too also ships his hubs directly from Taiwan. He does not hold local stock (at least, he didn't in my case), and in which case I don't exactly know what it means to be a local distributor.

I bought from Kerry wrongly thinking that local shopping from him would be quicker and was therefore willing to pay a slightly higher price. The hub took longer than expected to arrive (albeit over the Christmas period).E
My experience too, I bought off Kerry thinking any warranty issues would be better off being covered locally. I was a bit miffed when I found it had come directly from Taiwan, as I would've used ebay myself if I'd known in advance.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

lardass71

Postby lardass71 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:07 am

he usually does have items in stock, it really depends on what time of year it is, but either way hes a top bloke and has a awesome range of bikes in his shed and some damn cold beer

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Here's one for ya,

I'm so happy with my front hub dynamo, that I'd like to get a rear hub dynamo. For a derailleur type back wheel.
Then I can do more on bike power experiments (moohahahahahaaaaa).

Mission impossible?

Cheers,

Time

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Timeonabike wrote:Here's one for ya,

I'm so happy with my front hub dynamo, that I'd like to get a rear hub dynamo. For a derailleur type back wheel.

Mission impossible?

Cheers,

Time
Maybe easy to do if you go fixie. Use a 6 bolt cog from Velo Solo in the UK that goes where a brake disk usually attaches to the hub. They usually recommend a Shimano M756 front hub, which I have done for a couple of my sons. They also supply a CrMo longer axle and spacers to lengthen the OLD measurement to 120, 126, 130 or 135. I'd not want to pull a dyno hub apart, but get onto the MTBtools guy in the US who does spacers for fat bikes for SP PD-8X hubs, and get something that will have the right chainline, if his standard kit doesn't already. Youd perhaps want it to use a QR or one of Velo Solo's steel 10mm axles, but either are just exercises in a bit of turning. Quite straightforward, and simple.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Timeonabike wrote:Here's one for ya,

Mission impossible?

Cheers,

Time
G'day Time
Somewhere in one of the couple of dynamo threads is a link to a Shimano rear dynamo hub if memory serves.
I think it was for a small section of the Euro market and rare and hard to source anywhere else.

Have you considered adding a bottle dynamo to your current setup?

You don't say what your setup is, but if your riding commute is mostly flat, a vintage 3 speed Sturmey Archer rear dynamo hub (vintage/veteran) should be easy enough to find and will power a modern LCD headlight albeit at approx 2 watts leaving your front dynohub for exclusive charging.
I initially used a front Sturmey dynohub and it powered my Edelux headlight successfully for some time.

Another possible viable charging system for you might be made from a single wheeled trailer utilising a standard (front) dynohub wheel.
I have an Extrawheel trailer with a Son28 wheel incorporated into its build.

Just a few possibilities off the top of my head - Good luck :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Or a Velogical dynamo?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Heres a link to a pic of the rare shimano rear dynohub.
I think it isn't the standard 6V and is designed with the Di2 electrics in mind.
http://bjbigbird.zenfolio.com/p88548937 ... F#hd2b6e5f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you go back through all the posts in either this dynamo thread or one of the others there is more info.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Cheers folks, lots of good things there to check out.

For the record, its hilly (nothing massive, but certainly not flat) where I am, and I use a Seek 1 2012 thing, with showtime all over it to make it into a commuter. Goes well.

I've sent an email off to the Schmidt guys to see if they've ever made a rear wheel version - the fatbike one is so very close - but nothing yet.

Cheers again,

Time

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:42 am

I went trolling back through dynamo hub threads and found the Shimano rear hub I was waffling about.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... 58175.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shimano makes the Nexave rear dynamo hub for the European market:
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... type-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... type-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"However, comments from "Legs" Larrington lead me to belive that this hub's intent is to power the DI2 automatic shifting unit and not provide power for a headlight. This page (http://velospec.com/en/components/shimano/fhc811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) lists it as 4.1volt, 1.12watt... pitifully weak compared to my 6volt, 3 watt Shimano front hub."

http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mecha ... wheel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[QUOTE=CaptCarrot;13717241]Tech-specs of the Nexave

http://velospec.com/components/shimano/fhc810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Voltage (110rpm15omega): 4.1V*
Output Power (110rpm15omega): 1.12W*[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry but it looks like good for not much due to a low output.

Edit: Actually I take that last comment back.
I think my first link showed a recumbent using the rear dynohub with a Edelux (as per my experiment with the Sturmey Archer).
I believe one way of achieving what you want would be to wire in your headlight to the Nexave and utilise your existing front dynamo hub for your charging experiments.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Cheers Rifraf!
Some quality info there.

Will let ya know how it goes.

Time

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:40 am

Update - Schmidt have said Nein!
No custom real wheel dynamos for me.

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Okay - i'm a newbie to the world of dynamos and am about to ask a an embarrassingly simple question....

Will I damage a hub dynamo if I ride with the dynamo light disconnected?

FYI - reason being i'm about to build up the wheel and will be tempted to ride it although the light is about a week away :-(

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:47 pm

no

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:53 pm

wqlava1 wrote:no
That was the answer I was hoping for. Thanks a heap!

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Interesting site on Dynamo lighting by a Dutch guy.

Pretty critical evaluation of pretty much all the lighting options he looked at, but will give you a good idea of what's around and provides more info on tail light options than Peter White's site.

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... hterlampen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter White's site however remains unchallenged as the best website I could find on Dynamo lighting.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:17 am

hugh stone wrote:Interesting site on Dynamo lighting by a Dutch guy.

Pretty critical evaluation of pretty much all the lighting options he looked at, but will give you a good idea of what's around and provides more info on tail light options than Peter White's site.

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... hterlampen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter White's site however remains unchallenged as the best website I could find on Dynamo lighting.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, both mentioned within the first few pages of this thread but no probs to re-mention as not everyone has the patience to read the whole thing. :idea:

Has your light arrived safely and which one did you go for?

The thread needs a pic or two to liven it up so how about adding one of your set up? :idea:

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:33 am

Went with an SP Dynamo PL-8, with SON Edelux II.

I've been very impressed with the set up which puts out a hell of a lot more light than I was expecting (way better than my Serfas TSL500).

Just waiting on a Herrmans H-Track taillight to arrive.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:58 am

^did you get the SON Edelux II from a local supplier mate? Thanks

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:55 am

hugh stone wrote:Went with an SP Dynamo PL-8, with SON Edelux II.

I've been very impressed with the set up which puts out a hell of a lot more light than I was expecting (way better than my Serfas TSL500).

Just waiting on a Herrmans H-Track taillight to arrive.
Great choice if the reviews I've read are anything to go by - congratulations as I seriously doubt there will be any buyers remorse there.

I've the original Edelux and very happy with it.

Keep us updated on any issues with either of your purchases.

There were a few examples of the original Edelux suffering water ingress but from memory they recovered after drying out.

Thanks for the pic to liven up the thread :)

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:28 pm

rheicel wrote:^did you get the SON Edelux II from a local supplier mate? Thanks
No luck locally - ended up getting it from Starbike in Germany
http://www.starbike.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website was perfectly fine in English mode but I had to rely on a German speaking colleague to interpret the DHL tracking updates[emoji3].

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 pm

hugh stone wrote:No luck locally - ended up getting it from Starbike in Germany
http://www.starbike.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website was perfectly fine in English mode but I had to rely on a German speaking colleague to interpret the DHL tracking updates[emoji3].
Thanks mate! One of the forum member here is offering to build one for me. I'll try this one first :)

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:00 pm

If your interested my wheel build I ended up going with an SP Dynamo PL-8, Sapim alloy nipples with washers, Sapim Laser spokes, and Pacenti SL25 rims (disc specific).

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:10 pm

hugh stone wrote:If your interested my wheel build I ended up going with an SP Dynamo PL-8, Sapim alloy nipples with washers, Sapim Laser spokes, and Pacenti SL25 rims (disc specific).
I have 2 dynamo wheels that was built up 2 weeks ago.
SP PL-8 disc 32H laced with Velocity and another one SP PV-8 20H laced with Velocity too. I have no lights at the moment but I have just tested both wheels now and they seems to have not slowed me down yet lol. Maybe with full 3W load, it may introduce a little bit of drag :)

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:11 am

For those with fat bikes and lamenting the choice of dynamo hubs for the wider axles (Aushiker?) hold on to your pennies until January, SP hubs will have a 150mm version coming out.
Nothing on the Shutter Precision or klite webpages yet.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:08 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:For those with fat bikes and lamenting the choice of dynamo hubs for the wider axles (Aushiker?) hold on to your pennies until January, SP hubs will have a 150mm version coming out.
Nothing on the Shutter Precision or klite webpages yet.
Thanks for the heads-up. Bit late for me but as I have built up my wheel and really not keen on rebuilding it unless my planned use of a low-power consumption devices in combination with my Anker battery does not go to plan.

Andrew