Hub Dynamos in Australia

petie

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby petie » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:47 pm

OK, time to bump this thread up again.

Anyone know which Dynamo Headlight is smallest and mostest aeroest? I've got a Philips saferide on my commuter, and a KLite setup on my MTB. Thinking of putting a dynamo on the roadie i'm building up, but only keen on super small/aero lights. Very low threshold for seeing what Kerry from KLite can come up with!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Is pretty small http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-sche ... 2-eyc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:45 pm

You want a classy, minimalist light for your roadie? Check out the Supernova E3 Pure
Also worth considering is the E3 seatpost mount tail light to go with it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Crawf wrote:Is pretty small http://www.bumm.de/produkte/dynamo-sche ... 2-eyc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1 for the Eyc for tiny-ness. It's hard to get an idea from the website just how small they are in real life. Haven't ridden with one myself to see what the light output is like though.

For night riding on unlit roads I have an IQ Cyo Premium. It mounts easily on the fork crown. It's huge compared to an Eyc but still barely wider than the head tube on my Giant Defy, so can't imagine there'd be much aero impact.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:59 pm

honestly, for the small size difference between the eyc and the cyo plus (i have both), and the beam quality of both, just get the cyo.

But given the 100lux iq-x is about to ship, wait for that:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... ,1410,1411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

petie

Postby petie » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:18 pm

RonK wrote:You want a classy, minimalist light for your roadie? Check out the Supernova E3 Pure
The e3 seatpost mount is the rear light, no question.

The new iqx looks nice, especially the bar mounted option. It's been a while since I've looked at this stuff, is it possible to pull usb charge from any of these lights, with or without extra paraphernalia?

Edit: and I'm assuming the shutter precision dynamos are lightest still??

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:20 pm

The Axa Luxx or Nano are pretty aero, especially the Luxx 70 if you hacked the reflector off the bottom. Also they have a proper headlight beam, with a top cut off so you don't blind people coming the other way. Some of them have USB power so you can keep your phone or whatever charged during the day.

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:honestly, for the small size difference between the eyc and the cyo plus (i have both), and the beam quality of both, just get the cyo.

But given the 100lux iq-x is about to ship, wait for that:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... 4878;menu=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
That is one nice looking light. I'm running an edelux II but think I might be suffering light envy[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Anybody know if hub dynamo rated lights are different to friction dynamo?
I read specific model listed here, but nothing on the product listings of the range I've ordered from.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/dymotec.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't been able to clearly find consistent reference to hub dynamo nor dynamo, but the Peter White Cycles page on this dynamo specifies a specific light for the Dymotec friction dynamo. I've got fat bikes with no 150mm hub dynamo available until 2016, and also wanted some auxiliary trickle charging of a LiPo battery doing powerbank duties.
I was considering the B&M USB-Werk to give stable output for at least the rear/auxiliary dynamo.

I ordered the Magnic-iC lights thinking they'd cover me for emergency lighting offroad, but then ended up choosing a USD suspension fork so can't mount them on the stanchions (since got a road bike and Magnic adapters to suit it on the way).

I was ordering from Rose Bikes for the first time, so decided to try a couple of the Dymotec 6 they listed.
http://www.rosebikes.com/search/find/?q=dymotec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It uses a rubber drive so I'm not sweating about the thin low pressure tubeless fat-tyre sidewalls. I have a Tubus FAT rack rear with panniers so they'll be mounted and protected by that... if this line of thinking works out. I also learned that the Schwalbe Marathon Plus have a sidewall groove I've seen but never acknowledged is to suit such a friction dynamo. Sweet :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Just a heads up to anyone in WA contemplating a disk braked dynamo hub 700c wheel for their bike or trailer.
I was perusing gumtree and spotted:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bicton/b ... 1090724305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At first glance it seems pretty decent buying for $100.

Before anyone asks, its not mine and nor to I know the seller or indeed anything about the hub.
Merely thought it worth considering for anyone thinking about a dynamo hub.

Do recommend you make sure its working ok before handing over your hard earned moolah
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:45 pm

rifraf wrote:Just a heads up to anyone in WA contemplating a disk braked dynamo hub 700c wheel for their bike or trailer.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bicton/b ... 1090724305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before anyone asks, its not mine and nor to I know the seller or indeed anything about the hub.

Do recommend you make sure its working ok before handing over your hard earned moolah
that 7.1 rim is now called the TK540, a good touring rim.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:50 pm

wqlava1 wrote:
rifraf wrote:Just a heads up to anyone in WA contemplating a disk braked dynamo hub 700c wheel for their bike or trailer.

that 7.1 rim is now called the TK540, a good touring rim.
I already own two dynamo hub wheels or I'd be all over it.
With a bike and single wheel trailer, I'd be merely buying it because it seems a good deal, rather than because I had a use for it.
I wish it had been available when I was forking out for my wheels

avolve

Postby avolve » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:12 pm

RonK wrote:You want a classy, minimalist light for your roadie? Check out the Supernova E3 Pure
I had an E3 (Pro) and taillight on my everyday commuter (until someone decided they liked it more than I did). Never had an issue.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Anyone tried one of these from StKilda cycles?

http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/index.p ... -road.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reasonable price from an Australian store. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:05 pm

warthog1 wrote:Anyone tried one of these from StKilda cycles?

http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/index.p ... -road.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reasonable price from an Australian store. :)
That's a great price on current exchange rates - the cheapest hub I could find recently was around $150 including postage, while Australian store prices were about $200.

The Alex DA-16 is fairly basic rim from their mtb/touring range coming in at a hefty 550g, but never mind the quality, feel the price :)

They don't specify which hub, so if you are thinking of one I would suggest checking, but I presume the "road" version comes with a PV-8 & the "hybrid" has the disc version PD-8.

I paid a bit extra to get the PL-8 so its a bit easier to take the disc off (centrelock rather than 6 bolt) & use it for Audax rides on my road bike. Will need to build the wheel when I get some time after Christmas
Anything you can do, I can do slower

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks Bruce. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:56 pm

I went down there this afternoon. Very obliging chaps.

The wheels are not pre-built waiting to be bought, but will be assembled on request. Since I am both leaving tomorrow, and am not only happy to build my own wheels, but also would prefer to use a 36 spoke hub that they had (they had done an upgrade to a SON on a Vivente for some expedition rider) I got away with a hub, a decent front light, an extra bracket and an Allen key skewer for comfortably under $200.

Cheers,

Cameron

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:33 pm

No sooner was the new dynamo built into a wheel when the bearings on the old hub started squeaking - 20,000km & just short of 3 years. The bearings on SP dynamo hubs are not user servicable (I believe this is true of most hub dynamos) so it is back to the factory in Taiwan.

20,000 km was a bit less than I was expecting, but at least the service cost was cheap ~A$50 - because the hub & packaging were less than 500g postage was just A$12.80 + US$30 for the bearing replacement & return postage.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 pm

find_bruce wrote:No sooner was the new dynamo built into a wheel when the bearings on the old hub started squeaking - 20,000km & just short of 3 years. The bearings on SP dynamo hubs are not user servicable (I believe this is true of most hub dynamos) so it is back to the factory in Taiwan.

20,000 km was a bit less than I was expecting, but at least the service cost was cheap ~A$50 - because the hub & packaging were less than 500g postage was just A$12.80 + US$30 for the bearing replacement & return postage.
Well that was quick - I posted the hub on 14 January, got an email from Shutter precision on 29 January saying it had arrived, & I received it today. Will build it back up on the weekend

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:34 pm

I finally bit the bullet on running a dynamo hub. Have ordered and SP hub laced to a Velocity Dually 45mm rim so I can put a 29x3in tyre on the front.

Now to find a good front and rear light combo.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:41 pm

find_bruce wrote:
find_bruce wrote:No sooner was the new dynamo built into a wheel when the bearings on the old hub started squeaking - 20,000km & just short of 3 years. The bearings on SP dynamo hubs are not user servicable (I believe this is true of most hub dynamos) so it is back to the factory in Taiwan.

Well that was quick - I posted the hub on 14 January, got an email from Shutter precision on 29 January saying it had arrived, & I received it today. Will build it back up on the weekend
Good to know they repair them. I have 2 SP hubs at the moment :)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:59 pm

Can anyone advise how to wire up a Secula rear (2 terminals) to the front Edelux II (1 terminal + earth)? Absolute leccy novice.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I finally bit the bullet on running a dynamo hub. Have ordered and SP hub laced to a Velocity Dually 45mm rim so I can put a 29x3in tyre on the front.

Now to find a good front and rear light combo.
Locally or overseas?

I think you've made the right decision.
I've met no one whose invested and regretted it. :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:55 pm

Crawf wrote:Can anyone advise how to wire up a Secula rear (2 terminals) to the front Edelux II (1 terminal + earth)? Absolute leccy novice.
Take the dual cable headlight end, and mount a female spade terminal on one wire, and the ring terminal (supplied with the Edelux) on the other. Crimp tight, solder if you wish, then cover with heatshrink. Spade terminal goes onto the male terminal - in the hole at the base of the light, next to the dynohub lead ; ring terminal connects to your light's mounting bolt........ thus:

Ring terminal looks like this before fitting

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:08 am

IP, what about the Secula, it has two terminals? How does that end need to be terminated?