Hub Dynamos in Australia

il padrone

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:28 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Stupid question time. Can you setup 2 bikes to use the same wheel?

I have a 28 hole 29er rim and want to get it built up and swap it between my cx bike and my mtb.

Is it just a matter of setting up the wiring on both bikes?
This is what I have planned to do with my commuter and the tandem. Wheel with Shimano 3N72 dynohub is set up on the commuter, but yet to get the lighting modified on the tandem to suit.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 am

find_bruce wrote:Shimano reportedly do a thru axle version the DH-T708. The only place I have seen it is bike-components.de for €84+ shipping, but they only list the 8mm thru axle version, not the 15mm thru axle & your choices are 32 or 36 hole.
Only available in silver as well :cry:

What I need is a 10mm Thru axle compatible, 28 hole in Red.

To quote Clarkson, " How hard can it be ?"

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:11 am

Doesn't help me though for what I want to do.

Pity I can't replace the std PD-8 axle with something that can work as a thru axle (such as above), but I'll live :|

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:39 am

The MTBtools ebay seller that he's got to produce the axle adaptor has some good prices on his core business. For instance a trio of headset bearing remover, crown race setter and headset press for USD50. Even with postage that's cheap.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:39 am

I was just looking at Bike24.com at the SON 28 135 dynamos for a Salsa Mukluk build and notice that they offer a SON 28 135 Hub Dynamo Disc 6-hole VR and a SON 28 135 Hub Dynamo Disc 6-hole. Does anyone know what the VR refers to or the difference between the two models?

Thanks
Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:50 am

This is a huge can of worms.
It states that the VR has "the disc mount is positioned 10.4mm away from the dropout, like on regular front hubs. Furthermore a 10 mm axle provides enough stiffness."

Whereas for the other "unlike regular front hubs the disc mount is positioned 15.3 mm away from the dropout, like on regular rear hubs. Furthermore a 10 mm axle provides enough stiffness."

But on Peter White Cycles it makes no mention of a VR model, it states
"the SON 28 135 has a 135mm axle and the ISO disc mount is offered with two different disc spacings, for different forks. RS 10mm is for forks designed for the rear disc spacing. FS 9mm is for forks using the traditional front disc spacing.
Be aware! There are quite a few "standards" for front fat bike hubs. Some use a 9mm axle, some 10mm, and some use 15mm Thru-Axles. Some have 10.5mm dimension between the dropout and the disc. Some have 15.2mm dimension between the dropout and the disc. And still others use a thru-axle. So find out which standard your fork is designed to work with before ordering".

Lovely. Bike24 sell the Mukluk with a Bearpaw 150 front fork and a Fat Conversion 150 hub supplied. Although Salsa states that their hub uses "standard front brake disc alignment" I can't see those SON hubs also working for you given that the fork is 150mm OLD and uses a 15mm thru axle. Salsa sells an end cap adaptors for 10x135 to 15x150 but only for their own Fat Conversion hubs. Is there any other 150mm adaptor that might work with the SON? Don't know. My preference is to wait a few years until hub standards settle down again. Still waiting. A different front fork 'd be quicker.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:41 am

The confusion arises because of the way fat bikes have evolved - at first they used rear hubs, hence 135 mm between the drop outs and rear disc spacing. As they became more popular, fatbike specific front hubs have been made.

To find the right hub you need to look at 3 things (1) dropout spacing (135 or 150) (2) disc spacing (front 10.4mm rear 15.3mm) (3) axle size (QR, 10mm 15mm & getting more). 3 variables makes for a bewildering array of choices.

Which fork are you planning to use Andrew as that will dictate which hub ? Eg if you are looking at the Bluto, that has dropout spacing of 150mm with front disc spacing and a 15mm Maxle - ie neither of the hubs you linked to would work directly & instead you would need to use spacers etc to get it set up, as discussed here.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:33 am

find_bruce wrote:Which fork are you planning to use Andrew as that will dictate which hub ? Eg if you are looking at the Bluto, that has dropout spacing of 150mm with front disc spacing and a 15mm Maxle - ie neither of the hubs you linked to would work directly & instead you would need to use spacers etc to get it set up, as discussed here.
I assumed it would be 135 mm fork which is the stock configuration for the Mukluk (and how Salsa spec the frameset), now not so sure so will wait till the frame arrives. There is some confusion on the Bike 24 website as they mention the 150 mm Bearpaw which is the fork Salsa sell "after-market" then state the maximum tyre size is 4" whereas the 150 mm fork can take 5". Interestingly others list the frameset with a 135 mm fork and the 150 mm fork is black.

Not a big issue anyway, just means may not be able to run a dynamo.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:37 am

Aushiker wrote:I assumed it would be 135 mm fork which is the stock configuration for the Mukluk (and how Salsa spec the frameset), now not so sure so will wait till the frame arrives. There is some confusion on the Bike 24 website as they mention the 150 mm Bearpaw which is the fork Salsa sell "after-market" then state the maximum tyre size is 4" whereas the 150 mm fork can take 5". Interestingly others list the frameset with a 135 mm fork and the 150 mm fork is black.
According to the Salsa Mukluk 2 page:
Also note that we also offer the Mukluk 2 as a rigid frameset, including the Salsa Bearpaw 150 fork, in Sparkly Green.
I think it's certain you'll be geting the Bearpaw fork. I find it difficult to believe Bike24 would not provide the frameset as Salsa manufactures it.

Neither of the hubs you linked will fit, because neither has a 15mm through axle. Son do make such a hub, the Son 28 15, but it only has an OLD of 100mm, so it will fit my Firestarter fork but not the Bearpaw.

As for as I know nobody offers a 150 x 15 dynamo hub, however this eBay seller makes spacers for 135mm OLD forks so may be able to make 150mm ones as well. You would also need a spacer for the disc caliper. Not really the best solution though I think.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:36 pm

RonK is probably correct, but while the current bearpaw is 150, salsa have previously sold a bearpaw 135 & the mukluck 3 is specified as having the bearpaw 135. Either way I wouldn't be buying a hub until I had the fork in my hands and measured it twice so that I only buy once.

In terms of the 3 variables I listed above, it seems the two flavours of bearpaw are

Bearpaw 135 (1) 135 mm :wink: (2) front disc spacing (3) 9mm quick release

Bearpaw 150 (1) 150 mm (2) front disc spacing (3) 15mm thru axle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:13 pm

RonK wrote:Also note that we also offer the Mukluk 2 as a rigid frameset, including the Salsa Bearpaw 150 fork, in Sparkly Green.
So I noticed after posting. Seems Bike24 are selling the Mukluk 2 frameset which I missed, assuming it was the Mukluk 3.
As for as I know nobody offers a 150 x 15 dynamo hub, however this eBay seller makes spacers for 135mm OLD forks so may be able to make 150mm ones as well. You would also need a spacer for the disc caliper. Not really the best solution though I think.
[/quote]

Klite.com.au are selling the SP PD-8X which is 15 mm with spacers to push it out to 135mm. The question is whether going further to 150mm is okay or not. The links to MTBR that Find_Bruce provided show how it can be done and there is a brake disc adpator easily obtainable.

The other option is to fit a 135mm OLD fork or go without a dynamo.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Aushiker wrote:The other option is to fit a 135mm OLD fork or go without a dynamo.
I think I'd go without for a while and wait to see what develops. I do wonder though whether you'd be going fast enough, ofter enough to generate worthwhile output anyway.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:09 am

Anyone used an SV-9 Ultraslim dynamo from Shutter Precision? Looks like these came out before Xmas.

PS this guy sells thru-axle spacers for 15x100 to 15x135, maybe contact him re 15x150?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:49 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:PS this guy sells thru-axle spacers for 15x100 to 15x135, maybe contact him re 15x150?
The axle spacing is not so much a problem as correctly positioning the brake rotor. 100 to 135 needs a spacer ~17.5 mm like this

100 to 150 would need that disc spacer to be ~25mm. YMMV but for me that is beyond what I would be prepared to use for a brake.

135 to 150 however would be a much more manageable 7.5mm. I am sure the MTBTools would make one if you asked.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:100 to 150 would need that disc spacer to be ~25mm. YMMV but for me that is beyond what I would be prepared to use for a brake..
I agree which is why I am back to going with a 135 mm fork and probably a SON 28 135. $64.00 difference in price against what I would need from MTBtools and a SP PD8X which has delay in getting anyway.

Andrew

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 am

So has anyone seen or tried one of these?

http://www.velogical-engineering.com/rim-dynamo-en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:28 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:So has anyone seen or tried one of these?

http://www.velogical-engineering.com/rim-dynamo-en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In case you have yet to come across it:

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

singlespeedscott

Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:08 pm

rifraf wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:So has anyone seen or tried one of these?

In case you have yet to come across it:

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link. It looks like an ideal setup for charging electrical devices.

lardass71

Postby lardass71 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:05 am

try Kerry at http://www.klite.com.au/ aussie bloke up in newcastle, does hubs lights, and full charge systems for anything usb on a bike

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:13 am

On the subject of Kerry who is the Australian distributor of Shutter Precision dynamos he was on Channel Ten's Shark Tank last night. If skip through to 15:00 he comes on seconds later.

Andrew

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:On the subject of Kerry who is the Australian distributor of Shutter Precision dynamos he was on Channel Ten's Shark Tank last night. If skip through to 15:00 he comes on seconds later.

Andrew

I saw an interesting comment on IDC's website yesterday, that they are the Australian distributor. Like you, I had thought Kerry was too (though how he can compete with Bike24 I don't know).

In italics towards the bottom of this page:
http://intelligentdesigncycles.com/prod ... ub-dynamos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonder why?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:49 am

wqlava1 wrote:I saw an interesting comment on IDC's website yesterday, that they are the Australian distributor. Like you, I had thought Kerry was too (though how he can compete with Bike24 I don't know).

In italics towards the bottom of this page:
http://intelligentdesigncycles.com/prod ... ub-dynamos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonder why?
I have no idea. All I know Kerry is in Australia and Intelligent Design I think is in the US or is it the UK [their website developer is in the UK] or is it Taiwan? I do know it prices are in US$. It is also shipping its product directly from Shutter Precision or least out of Taiwan.

Personally I do not purchase from companies or business that do not have physical addresses and other contact information provided. IDC does not seem to provide that information so i would treat anything they say with extreme caution.

Andrew

Espresso_

Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby Espresso_ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:13 am

Aushiker wrote:
I have no idea. All I know Kerry is in Australia and Intelligent Design ...is also shipping its product directly from Shutter Precision or least out of Taiwan.

Andrew
I recently purchased a dyno hub from Kerry and can confirm that he too also ships his hubs directly from Taiwan. He does not hold local stock (at least, he didn't in my case), and in which case I don't exactly know what it means to be a local distributor.

I bought from Kerry wrongly thinking that local shopping from him would be quicker and was therefore willing to pay a slightly higher price. The hub took longer than expected to arrive (albeit over the Christmas period).

Kerry said:

"sorry for the drama, these hubs are shipped from taiwan, and reckon it
has been slowed up due to the massive prezzys going around the
world..."

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:41 am

Espresso_ wrote:I bought from Kerry wrongly thinking that local shopping from him would be quicker and was therefore willing to pay a slightly higher price.
Hehe - in my experience, local shipping is rarely faster than international shipping.
Anything ordered from China comes by slow boat. :lol: