Hub Dynamos in Australia

MichaelB

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 31, 2017 9:38 am

hamishm wrote:OK, I've kind of ruled out the E3 Triple 2 as too bright and expensive for my needs. This leaves

- E3 Pro 2
I had the E3 Pro 2 to start with, and very happy. Needed to replace it when I had my off, and lucked on an E3 Triple from another forum member.

Being without it over the last month due to dead dyno, I'm finally glad to have it back.

No such thing as too bright, especially on unlit descents at night. Worth every penny.

No idea about the others.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Does anyone know a shop in Australia with a good range of Supernova stuff?

I need the mount. I forgot to order it along with the light from the UK, so I thought I'd try local. But the only couple of shops online I've found with any hint of them have not bothered to reply to emails.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Peter White or K-Lite maybe ?

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Aren't the mounts the same as edelux and maybe other German brands? Try LXS in Germany, both their website & eBay - I think they had a variety a while back when I needed similar

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:52 pm

SJS has the mount you want. Too bad you didn't order with the light but I don't think you'll find one locally, so just bite the bullet and go back to SJS.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:16 pm

RonK wrote:SJS has the mount you want. Too bad you didn't order with the light but I don't think you'll find one locally, so just bite the bullet and go back to SJS.
Yep, postage only 2 quid so I'll manage. I did email them to ask them to amend my first order but I missed it by that much...

Next problem to solve is which charger: Sinewave Revolution, Igaro D1, USB-WERK, Supernova Plug?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:13 am

E3 Pro2 just arrived, smaller than I expected (which is good). Still waiting on the mount before I can really install it.

How long does it take to charge the stand light function? I gave the wheel a spin for a couple of minutes on the workstand and it charged a little bit but not too much. Although I had the light on at the time, I guess it charges better with the light off.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:45 pm

A hub dynamo delivers full power at ~15 km/h & the stand light should be fully charged in 1-2 minutes.

How fast were you spinning the wheel? IME spinning the wheel by hand is fast enough to generate some light, but not enough to charge the standlight
Anything you can do, I can do slower

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:04 pm

hamishm wrote:Does anyone know a shop in Australia with a good range of Supernova stuff?

I need the mount. I forgot to order it along with the light from the UK, so I thought I'd try local. But the only couple of shops online I've found with any hint of them have not bothered to reply to emails.
Better late than never, https://eurocycles.com.au/brands/supernova.html

I bought my E3 from them :)

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 pm

rheicel wrote:Better late than never, https://eurocycles.com.au/brands/supernova.html
Still quicker than them though - I emailed them over two weeks ago. No reply. That's Australian customer service for you.

Still waiting for the mount to arrive from SJS though. :evil:

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Confession time: I'm disappointed with the E3 Pro 2. It's not bright enough for descending at any speed on pitch black roads. It's ok on the flat and it'd be ok if you had street lights, but it's just not bright enough for going fast without street lights.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:31 pm

I found the std E3 good for the circumstances you describe, but the Triple was much better

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:27 am

I was in Abbottsford Cycles yesterday. They have a sale on Hub dynamos at the moment. I picked up an SP PV-8 for $185. Only marginally more than the last time I looked at the price from overseas and it was available instantly.

I also got the last Luxos U headlight on special, I wonder if it has enough grunt to power a Mobius camera with the lights on?

I'm thinking that I might make a more permanent upgrade to my alternate commuter I will put the Fly IQ onto it. The little Aldi lights that are on it at the moment are not much better than moonlight for seeing with. If I do that I am tempted to put gears back on it and run it with 27" wheels again.

Cheers,

Cameron

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:13 pm

I completely missed these newish SP hubs but now I have discovered them, I am very interested in the PD-8X-150 for my Salsa Mukluk. Anyone have any experience with them and/or now of a good source? It looks like K-Lite are no longer importing SP hubs or did I get that wrong?

EDIT: Touched based with Kerry at K-Lite and noted that his no longer distributing Shutter Precision due to many problems with them, so may well go with the SON 28 15 150 instead. More dollars but :(

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Along with the dynamo I am considering a Sinewave Revolution as that way I can keep the e-werk on the Surly Long Haul Trucker. Anyone have any experience with the Revolution or other suggestions? K-Lite are selling them for $160.

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:Along with the dynamo I am considering a Sinewave Revolution as that way I can keep the e-werk on the Surly Long Haul Trucker. Anyone have any experience with the Revolution or other suggestions? K-Lite are selling them for $160.
No first hand experience, but if you're flush with cash you could also consider the Igaro D1 (it's on my mental wish list). Similar to the K-Lite, it's designed and made by one chap with plenty of input from people who actually use them in touring and Audax situations. Advertised mainly by word of mouth on UK forums.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:53 pm

cameronp wrote:No first hand experience, but if you're flush with cash you could also consider the Igaro D1 (it's on my mental wish list).
Very nice but looking at $255 ... not sure I am that flushed :)

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Aushiker wrote:
cameronp wrote:No first hand experience, but if you're flush with cash you could also consider the Igaro D1 (it's on my mental wish list).
Very nice but looking at $255 ... not sure I am that flushed :)
Yeah I know but these things can easily get out of hand. I'm in the process of building up a new bike and like you, decided on a thru axle SON rather than SP based on comments from Kerry and others on the Bikepacking Australia FB group. So of course I had to get a matching Edelux light as well...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:Along with the dynamo I am considering a Sinewave Revolution as that way I can keep the e-werk on the Surly Long Haul Trucker. Anyone have any experience with the Revolution or other suggestions? K-Lite are selling them for $160.
I'll look with interest on your update, as I came to a sudden stop with mounting my E-werk on my Extrawheel.

I put it into the hard basket as it seemed on the day that it was a struggle to decide on optimal mounting.

I decided for now to keep it inside a pannier internal pocket with a Xiaomi storage battery as I think I was worried about it being mounted within the area the panniers sat, it might get knocked off and due to the pannier covering that area, I'd be none the wiser until I stopped for the day.

I'm awaiting on some extra hooks for my Ortlieb panniers as they seemed to kick up a cacophony of racket when riding corrugated surfaces.

Your post has reminded me I need to organise some twin wire cable to run from the trailers dyne-hub to inside the rear roller classics.

I did have thoughts on maybe adding some external pockets to said Ortliebs but reading of your, I think, post on the matter, put that idea to bed for the time being.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

cameronp wrote:Yeah I know but these things can easily get out of hand. I'm in the process of building up a new bike and like you, decided on a thru axle SON rather than SP based on comments from Kerry and others on the Bikepacking Australia FB group. So of course I had to get a matching Edelux light as well...
Looking into this a little more ... Sinwave Revolution from Kerry is $177 delivered versus the Igaro D1 at $255 delivered so a difference of $78.00. The big question is the Igaro DI providing $78 of extra value?

Kerry is also working on his own USB charger ... coming in about 2/3 weeks ... tempted to wait to see what that looks like.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:11 pm

I have a Revolution. It's works well and has been reliable. Used in conjunction with a Xiaomi 16000mAh battery with pass-through charging it has been quite adequate to keep my devices charged on tour.

If you are going to use a light as well, then you may want to consider a Sinewave Beacon. I have ordered one and it's scheduled for delivery any time now.

And if you want extract even more power, the Dynamo Harvester might be worth a look.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 pm

RonK wrote:I have a Revolution. It's works well and has been reliable. Used in conjunction with a Xiaomi 16000mAh battery with pass-through charging it has been quite adequate to keep my devices charged on tour.
Good to know. As it turns out I am going to get one of Kerry's new chargers for cost+ as a tester so will see how that goes. Those Xiamoi 16000mah batteries look interesting. I took a RAVPower RPB17 6700mah which weighs 152g on my last week long ride. That was without an dynamo but I used my Garmin 60CSX so didn't need to charge it. This time I will go with an Edge 810 or 820 Explorer so the battery will be more important.

I am still to decide if I need to go with a bigger battery or not.
If you are going to use a light as well, then you may want to consider a Sinewave Beacon. I have ordered one and it's scheduled for delivery any time now.
I am currently not running lights; this bike is really for day riding but I might re look at that now it is getting a dynamo.
And if you want extract even more power, the Dynamo Harvester might be worth a look.
That looks interesting.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Xiaomi 16000mAh battery with pass-through charging it has been quite adequate to keep my devices charged on tour.
Do you recall where you got your battery from? Mushtato don't list the 16000 mah battery.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:12 pm

rifraf wrote:I did have thoughts on maybe adding some external pockets to said Ortliebs but reading of your, I think, post on the matter, put that idea to bed for the time being.
That was back in 2011 or thereabouts and the Ortlieb cages. Lost the first one by the time I crossed the Fremantle Traffic Bridge and had to tie the other one on to keep it there. They may have improved now of course.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Xiaomi 16000mAh battery with pass-through charging it has been quite adequate to keep my devices charged on tour.
Do you recall where you got your battery from? Mushtato don't list the 16000 mah battery.
I post this link thinking it topical to Xiaomi batteries:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/328637

There are mixed opinions on Gearbest and I'll not be offering one here but suggest you type their name in the Ozbargain search engine to catch a glimpse.

My intention was to show the newish USB-C Power Delivery standard now available (for extra cost of course).

I own one of the 10,000mAh versions and I think this version of the 20,000mAh which is earlier than the above:
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/328609 though I think I got mine from Mushtato.

Good luck
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.