Hub Dynamos in Australia

warthog1

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby warthog1 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:02 pm

find_bruce wrote: If you come across a Saferide 80 for sale, let me know - I am interested in making one dynamo powered
I will, but realistically I won't see one sorry :(
I have never seen another one in the flesh.
Most go for the high advertised lumens with no optics.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

00tones00

Postby 00tones00 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Virgil Walker wrote: Trek Domane SLR 6 Disc. Best riding long distance Audax-style bike I've ever had. But …

… it uses a 12 mm thru axle. No one, so far as I know, makes a 12 mm thru axle hub dynamo.
Hopefully I haven't misunderstood but Are you sure you need a 12mm thru axle dynamo hub? The trek website seems to say that the front fork is 15mm. It's The rear that is 12mm though.

00tones00

Postby 00tones00 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:12 pm

Actually the Website mentions 12mm in the spec list but in the feature list disc brake option mentions 15mm dropout.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue May 10, 2016 3:12 pm

00tones00 wrote:
Virgil Walker wrote: Trek Domane SLR 6 Disc. Best riding long distance Audax-style bike I've ever had. But …

… it uses a 12 mm thru axle. No one, so far as I know, makes a 12 mm thru axle hub dynamo.
Hopefully I haven't misunderstood but Are you sure you need a 12mm thru axle dynamo hub? The trek website seems to say that the front fork is 15mm. It's The rear that is 12mm though.
No, 12mm thru axles front and rear for the 2017 model.

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bikes ... 77300-2017

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/2017-tre ... nd-review/

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue May 10, 2016 3:41 pm

There are brand new old stock SafeRide 80's on Amazon from Philips themselves it seems. About $350+ so they're selling them as museum pieces. $500 here, free shipping! (careful not to hit Buy it Now if you click through!)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182069778415

A dynamo and fork crown light with the push-button control of the LuxosU is neat, tidy and convenient. The speed related smarts of the brighter wider near field light at low speed are a nice little consolation to the SafeRide 80's higher power and better beam spread. A long term issue of the Luxos U will be the buffer battery, that is tiny and won't be charging and stored to optimum cycle life. So like a notebook computer battery left on power maximum voltage storage, will not be useful after 2 years and likely terminal after 5 years. I guess it's like technology you'll hope to have a brighter better lens to upgrade to by the time the buffer battery needs replacing (which is out of warranty and probably not designed for replacement).

Daydreaming again, with switchable dynamo lights, leads to thinking higher output regulators with high beam for offroad or downhill speed high use (i.e. when resistance would be desirable braking). Looking at the watts in test below that we give up in tyres for desirable things like comfort and rough terrain traction, people who want the benefits of dynamos could using switching or some smarts for braking to get what they want too.
http://velonews.competitor.com/where-th ... tires-fast

Virgil Walker

Postby Virgil Walker » Thu May 12, 2016 6:53 pm

Yes, 12 mm thru axles front & rear on the Domane SLR disc.

The Boone has 15 mm front. When they introduce the new Boone I'm sure it'll have the front "suspension". If it keeps more or less the same geometry as the present one and has a 15 mm thru axle, it may be the one to get for long distance & gravel riding with a dynohub (though it doesn't get the low low BB of the Domane which I think contributes to the Domane's equanimity on rough roads).

The 12 mm thru axle and the c.32 mm limit on tyre size are the only drawbacks I can see to the Domane SLR disc at the moment. It's been a revelation. However, I would like to get a set of Compass Bon Jon Pass 35 mm on it for gravel & to make it really plush, but I think they'd probably not clear the frame at the bottom bracket as they can expand to c.37 mm.

Meanwhile, I'm probably up for a set of Ay Ups or an Exposure Strada until SON introduce the 12 m dynohub—unless someone can tell me about better long-life battery road lights for long rides like 1200 km audax.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 12, 2016 7:05 pm

eldavo wrote:A long term issue of the Luxos U will be the buffer battery, that is tiny and won't be charging and stored to optimum cycle life. So like a notebook computer battery left on power maximum voltage storage, will not be useful after 2 years and likely terminal after 5 years. I guess it's like technology you'll hope to have a brighter better lens to upgrade to by the time the buffer battery needs replacing (which is out of warranty and probably not designed for replacement).

Daydreaming again, with switchable dynamo lights, leads to thinking higher output regulators with high beam for offroad or downhill speed high use (i.e. when resistance would be desirable braking). Looking at the watts in test below that we give up in tyres for desirable things like comfort and rough terrain traction, people who want the benefits of dynamos could using switching or some smarts for braking to get what they want too.
http://velonews.competitor.com/where-th ... tires-fast
I just run my Luxos U switched on, all the time. Have been doing this for over 3 years; the light is something over 4 years old. It still runs fine, gives a great beam spread, and holds a stand-light for several minutes when stopped (everyone keeps telling me "you've left your lights on". Grrrrr..... "yes, I know, thanks :D )
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 12, 2016 9:31 pm

eldavo wrote:There are brand new old stock SafeRide 80's on Amazon from Philips themselves it seems. About $350+ so they're selling them as museum pieces. $500 here, free shipping! (careful not to hit Buy it Now if you click through!)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182069778415
Thanks, but I'll pass - as you knew I would.
eldavo wrote:A long term issue of the Luxos U will be the buffer battery, that is tiny and won't be charging and stored to optimum cycle life.
Are you sure it has a battery? I thought it was a capacitor which should have a much better life than any battery.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu May 12, 2016 11:04 pm

It is a battery, but thanks you made me look again, correcting something else I had wrong in memory. It's up to 1A output USB charging (not 100mA I had thought), only 100mA limit when using the light at the same time. I thought I'd seen 100mAh battery size mentioned, which for the light's size seemed right, but I can't find a source quickly to confirm the cache battery capacity.

From the manual here:
http://en.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_upload ... eitung.pdf
USB charging energy
Integrated into the handlebar button below a rubber cap is a USB socket which can be used to charge or power USB devices. During rain, the USB - socket cannot be used and the rubber cap has to remain closed (alternatively, the socket may be protected against moisture e.g. by sheathing it in plastic).
A red LED in the handlebar button indicates when USB charging power is available. This is the case when the integrated cache battery (see below) has sufficient energy available.
Connected devices are provided with 5 V and up to 1 A current.
The charged cache battery keeps the energy supply constant during slow rides and stops so that sensitive mobile devices may be charged. If the charge of the cache battery drops below a certain level, USB energy supply is interrupted (red LED ceases shining) until the battery is sufficiently charged once more.
Before a USB device is connected, cycle for some minutes with the light switched off so the cache battery has sufficient basic charge.

Permanent USB charging with more than 100 mA is only possible when all light functions are switched off. When the cache battery is charged, simultaneous charging and use of the light function is temporarily possible.
The duration of this depends on the charging status of the cache battery, the cycling speed, the quality of the dynamo and the energy demand of the connected USB device. While the cache battery discharges, the light output diminishes. As soon as the light output drops below 20 Lux, the USB energy is interrupted. The light will not deactivate during cycling.
Also from Peter White:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php
Luxos U, 70 lux, IQ2 Optics, Licht 24, USB charging (onboard AC to DC converter) Cache battery for charging, as well as powering the light to 90 lux for short periods, handlebar switch, monitors status of rear light, pictured mount included. Weight: 4 ounces without the included B&M475DPB mount. The Luxos U weighs a bit more due to the cache battery and AC to DC converter.
If the cache battery was 3.7V 100mAh, and it lasts theoretical 500 cycles to 80% original capacity, 500 x 0.1A x 3.7V = 185Wh throughput.

So if we assumed a 1W consumption riding with high 90lux on like il padrone has got 3-4 years from, we could say 185 hours at 1W consumption (because it's powering from the battery, and the battery is charging AC to DC supply). The hours will drop when it's not stored unused at around 60% charge, suffers temperature extremes in storage and use. Because of the dynamo we wouldn't really know it's degrading until it fails completely and goes open circuit, hopefully there's a bypass to operate without cache battery and just lose the switch and USB functionality.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue May 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Bit the bullet :) and realised I need mounts for my 2 bikes now :(

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue May 31, 2016 12:51 pm

I have one of the many new Fly12 unwanted from kickstarter going on ebay on the way to me. With DING lights backing possibly eventuating in a few months, I have battery lights and strobes options for far more than my riding hours piling up.

So I'm going to try test the USB charging of the LuxosU while daylight riding with Magellan Cyclo 505. It has a dodgy battery that self discharges a percent every 1-2days from new, compared to the Cyclo 500 I got at the same time that is much slower self discharge, more like weekly versus daily. So I've been using the Cyclo 505 to cycle the bad battery more and finding a diminished run-time also. So will have to hit up for warranty (first gadget I've had a battery this bad to bother with, though I've read the Fly6 had battery life issues).

Rheicels post reminds me the problem with multiple bikes and many gadgets is mounts for them or swapping between makes ride prep much longer. After saddles and pedals... ok I'm not complaining I love my multiple styles of bike :D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:29 pm

I have been umming and ahhing over getting an Exposure Revo for months.

Today I bit the bullet and ordered the last one with the 28 spoke hub off c r c.

Now I will have 2 bikes that are setup with Dyno lighting.

I should have done this years ago.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I have been umming and ahhing over getting an Exposure Revo for months.

Today I bit the bullet and ordered the last one with the 28 spoke hub off c r c.

Now I will have 2 bikes that are setup with Dyno lighting.

I should have done this years ago.
I am glad you bought it. You saved me :)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm watching the GBP conversion rate on c r c this weekend :D

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:03 pm

It turn out that the light assembled by Bruce for me has better light focus than the more extra expensive supernova. The beam of the supernova is just too wide for my liking. Anyone wants it? :D

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:03 pm

It turns out that the light assembled by Bruce for me has better light focus than the more extra expensive supernova. The beam of the supernova is just too wide for my liking. Anyone want it? :D

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:06 pm

When you say wide...

Compared to wideys like Luxos U IQ2 or Philips SafeRide?

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm

I have not tried those but the beam spread is almost 100 degrees.
I think they are good for MTB rides. :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Busch & Mueller Luxos 179U BROKE on me on the weekend. Rough track next thing it's sheared straight off the mount. Not my video, found it happened to someone else exactly the same way.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:55 am

Baalzamon wrote:Busch & Mueller Luxos 179U BROKE on me on the weekend. Rough track next thing it's sheared straight off the mount. Not my video, found it happened to someone else exactly the same way.
That is not good at all. Really expect better given the price and frankly the reputation of the brand.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:36 am

After this I now no longer "trust" a plastic shell light especially if it is a larger light. And I'm wonder how I can "fix" that reliably

Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:56 am

Baalzamon wrote:After this I now no longer "trust" a plastic shell light especially if it is a larger light. And I'm wonder how I can "fix" that reliably
I would be going back to Busch & Mueller with a please explain and please replace request.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:16 pm

I wish it was otherwise but busch and muller stuff is flakey. Good design but too many quality Issues for me now.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:30 pm

my bike fell over in the wind and the B&M light hit one of those low bike racks the whole light fell apart and luckily the mounting didn't break. I needed to glue the thing back together though.

edit: by that i mean the front lens fell off and the refelector along with some electronics dangled out.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:49 am

Of 3 toplight line tail lights all 3 have lost the stand light and one only has a single led at any time. Flakey switch on one head light and a mirror I bought was missing the barrel nut for the clamp so couldn't be used.