Hub Dynamos in Australia

ianganderton

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby ianganderton » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:30 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:Any reason you cheaped out so much on the headlight? 30lux is less than the old IQ fly even.

No IQ cyo premium or iq-x in the running?

The sp hubs that St kilda have are prebuilt wheels with Alex rims from the wholesaler.
For what we will use the bikes for I'm pretty certain the €15 front light will be very adequate. Mainly lit inner city streets and through centennial park on smooth roads we know. No roos or other stuff to deal with and not particularly fast.

Main reason for the lights is to keep the police off our backs with the recent crack down (we have had 2 instances of flat batteries recently)

Also concerned about theft. We want the bikes to be useable as urban transport and that means locking them unattended. The cheaper the lights the less we need to worry and the more we will feel we can use them.
NOT sent from tapatalk

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:16 am

ianganderton wrote:Shutter Precision PD-8 Disc Hub Dynamo - black
Number of holes: 32
Quantity: 2 (Price: 79,75 EUR) 159,50 EUR
I know this is to late for you but if anyone else is interested, Kerry at http://Klite.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the Australian distributor for SP dynamos. He has the PD-8 listed at $135.00.

Andrew

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:23 am

Aushiker wrote:
ianganderton wrote:Shutter Precision PD-8 Disc Hub Dynamo - black
Number of holes: 32
Quantity: 2 (Price: 79,75 EUR) 159,50 EUR
I know this is to late for you but if anyone else is interested, Kerry at http://Klite.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the Australian distributor for SP dynamos. He has the PD-8 listed at $135.00.

Andrew
note that is $135USD , dont know why its in USD.

petie

Postby petie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Has anyone used a SunUp dynamo with success? Any long term issues related to bolting on to the spokes?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:57 pm

petie wrote:Has anyone used a SunUp dynamo with success? Any long term issues related to bolting on to the spokes?
Took mine off the bike for a while. Put it back on and now it won't work. Go figure. Seems to engage then disengage. Support wasn't helpful
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:45 pm

Gave the Luxx 70 plus a go at charging today. Specs say it charges from 15km/h but it was charging from about 8 or 9.

I also wired up mu Secula Plus and fitted it just below the seat clamp. Will give it a try tomorrow on the way to work.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 am

Just bought myself a couple of B&M E-werks to extract some more charge from our dynamos. Wasn't getting much straight from the outlet on our Luxxos 50s, they're only rated for 500mA which doesn't go far in this smart phone world... 75euros from Bike24 or Bike Discount. Plus a couple of USB power meters from Ebay to keep an eye on what's actually going in and out.

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 am

Which power meters did you get
NOT sent from tapatalk

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:49 am

ianganderton wrote:Which power meters did you get
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272009867116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one, because it has some basic data logging, can count mAH.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Trevtassie wrote:
ianganderton wrote:Which power meters did you get
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272009867116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one, because it has some basic data logging, can count mAH.
Hi Trev, let us know how you get on with both the seller and the product.

What did you make of the third negative feedback

It doesn't work, displays wrong voltages and isn't a pass through for data.
"USB Charger Doctor Voltage Current Meter Mobile Battery Tester Power Detector (#272009867116)

I didn't read them all but it seems there is only 2% unhappy so the odds arent too bad.

Good Luck
Trevtassie wrote:Just bought myself a couple of B&M E-werks to extract some more charge from our dynamos. Wasn't getting much straight from the outlet on our Luxxos 50s, they're only rated for 500mA which doesn't go far in this smart phone world... 75euros from Bike24 or Bike Discount. Plus a couple of USB power meters from Ebay to keep an eye on what's actually going in and out.
Definitely recommend using a cache battery for edge unit and/or iPhone
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:42 pm

Bike Discount in Germany currently have 32hole Shimano dynamo hubs for 16 euros. It's the base model but hey, 16 euros! (freight is 20 euros for one shipment, so go mad) http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shim ... ack-480456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:45 pm

CELL Bikes have something like that built in a wheel with a cheap Shimano light included for a clearance price to match that bargain with wheel rim spokes and build factored in. Only 1 left iirc.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 pm

eldavo wrote:CELL Bikes have something like that built in a wheel with a cheap Shimano light included for a clearance price to match that bargain with wheel rim spokes and build factored in. Only 1 left iirc.
this one for $99 ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:10 pm

That's it, only 1 and free shipping :D

petie

Postby petie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
petie wrote:Has anyone used a SunUp dynamo with success? Any long term issues related to bolting on to the spokes?
Took mine off the bike for a while. Put it back on and now it won't work. Go figure. Seems to engage then disengage. Support wasn't helpful
I kinda figured as much. I reckon I might as well get a cheapo bottle dynamo!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:09 am

petie wrote: I kinda figured as much. I reckon I might as well get a cheapo bottle dynamo!
Last bottle dynamo equipped bike I tried riding felt like the brakes were on.
They offer some serious resistance.

Consider keeping saving and get a dynohub. :idea:

If its just lights you want, you should be able to pick up a cheap vintage Sturmey Archer GH6 dynohub for not much which in my opinion would run rings around most bottle dynamos and have almost no drag. :idea:

My GH-6 ran my Edelux for quite a while until I had the funds to get a Son28 built up.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:57 am

Trevtassie wrote:Bike Discount in Germany currently have 32hole Shimano dynamo hubs for 16 euros. It's the base model but hey, 16 euros! (freight is 20 euros for one shipment, so go mad) http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shim ... ack-480456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
870g :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Whilst it's cheap, that's double the weight of the Shutter precision ones, but multiples cheaper !!

petie

Postby petie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:31 am

rifraf wrote:
petie wrote: I kinda figured as much. I reckon I might as well get a cheapo bottle dynamo!
Last bottle dynamo equipped bike I tried riding felt like the brakes were on.
They offer some serious resistance.

Consider keeping saving and get a dynohub. :idea:

If its just lights you want, you should be able to pick up a cheap vintage Sturmey Archer GH6 dynohub for not much which in my opinion would run rings around most bottle dynamos and have almost no drag. :idea:

My GH-6 ran my Edelux for quite a while until I had the funds to get a Son28 built up.
This particular but cannot accept a hub dynamo, hence my interest in the sunup. Bottle dynamo is the only other non hub option I can think of. Apart from the magnic lights which won't cut the mustard.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:02 pm

btw I remember why I pulled the sunup off my bike. Wouldn't power my Supernova E3 triple.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:08 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Trevtassie wrote:Bike Discount in Germany currently have 32hole Shimano dynamo hubs for 16 euros. It's the base model but hey, 16 euros! (freight is 20 euros for one shipment, so go mad) http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shim ... ack-480456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
870g :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Whilst it's cheap, that's double the weight of the Shutter precision ones, but multiples cheaper !!
Its lightweight compared to a GH-6 which from memory was in the region of 1.1kg stated on an eBay auction I followed.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:08 pm

I've got a few decent bottle dynamos to try, from long term reviews and guts out electrical tests by all weather riding Englishmen, the latest/best few are decent and it's the smooth bearings they say are critical. There isn't a SonDelux quality version of them as the hub dynamo has taken the premium market.
My scenario was a narrow one so weighing up 600+ for a fat dynamo wheel build, when I would only rarely be riding long enough at night to be out of batteries in the multiple lights I have... and even that is solved with a small powerbank for phone GPs and lights charging. So the scenario for really needing it doesn't really exist. I still wanted to tinker with bottle dynamos so got a classic metal bottle appearance one for a stretch cruiser to match its vintage appearance with halogen sized/look LED light.
The black B&M and couple of black/grey Axa options have replacable rubber sidewall grips and it turns out Schwalbe Marathon have a grooved side of tread that mates to improve the rubber to rubber like gear meshing. Germans, got to love them for things like this, the VW etc.

Now I have to go mount some dynamos to test since I've dug up all the grey matter on them.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:13 pm

petie wrote: This particular but cannot accept a hub dynamo, hence my interest in the sunup. Bottle dynamo is the only other non hub option I can think of. Apart from the magnic lights which won't cut the mustard.
You spotted the mentions of the velogical dynamo?
I haven't read up on them but they've had a few posts mention them (on the remote chance you've not already seen said posts - apologies if you have)

http://www.velogical-engineering.com/rim-dynamo-en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://lawschoolissoover.wordpress.com ... im-dynamo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Likely mentioned by others but it appears to be only 1.5w as per above link.

dwmckee of bikeforums.net says:
dwmckee wrote:No. Watts are on the left scale, not the right. At 20 kph you are just above 4 watts it looks like. At around 12 KPH (~7-8 mph) you hit 1 watt output. At about 14.5 kph (~9 mph)you hit 2 watts. They sell 3 different output models and this is the middle one (Trekking). They sell a higher output unit that has higher wattage at lower speeds if you need it. I like this one because it has ample power in the ranges I ride in. If it had higher output I'd be putting in more of my own power and wasting the output. The other great thing is that when you are not using it there is zero drag (unlike hubs which always add slight drag).

I know this not for everyone, but I personally am pretty happy with it. It is on the pricey side, but that is not such a big deal to me as I am willing to pay for something that really solves a problem for me the way I like it.

I had a lot of opportunity for wet weather riding this spring and I can say with certainty that it has zero slippage problem in wet weather. It really is ideal for LED lighting. All of the other dynos on the market are older technology based on higher drain pre LED lighting. (All of the dyno models out there are basically unchanged for the past decade, and have not updated to optimize for the lower power needs of LED lights.)

I'll have to say that the mounting system is a bit crude, but once you have it set it is very solid and dependable. The only caution is that this is not for riding in mud that can get up to your rims. If that happens you are going to have some trouble with it working properly. I ride roads and crushed gravel and this has never skipped a beat.
(Post 25 http://www.bikeforums.net/electronics-l ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Last edited by rifraf on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Popular back in the days of yore were ye old Sanyo

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maddingt ... 1093629979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(In case they had missed your consideration Petie)

I just had a squiz at bike24 and was amazed at the quantity of bottle dynamos available, mostly from Axa and B&M.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Not quite the base model. The base models have the number twenty-something at the end of the Shimano part number, the one you pointed out is thirty-something. Both ranges are much cheaper and intended for the lower end German bikes where dyno lights are near mandatory, but (and i can't find the link to the comparison) I saw graphs showing much lower output efficiency for these than the Alfine/7x/8x Shimanos, then relatively smaller jumps up to the SONs and again up to the SPs. Bottles were way lower.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:30 pm

rifraf wrote:Popular back in the days of yore were ye old Sanyo
The old Sanyo Dynapower dyno that mounted on the chainstays where a kickstand would otherwise sit behind the bottom bracket, they were perfectly placed to pick up crud from the road and slip in the wet. As experienced in many a wet night country Audax ride. Union also brought out a version that had a gritted surface on the drum but wasn't a non-slip solution, more of a better way to pick up crud. Both the Sanyo and Union had issues with the bearings going so I wouldn't buy either of these dyno's of the 1980's ithout an inspection. If you do however find a good Union dyno they can be modified to engage/disengage from a cable, people often used a downtube gear shifter mounted on the seatpost or seattube to operate the dyno. Handy.