Cycling Express - New online shop to compete with UK....

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cycling Express - New online shop to compete with UK....

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:02 pm

No current discount codes I am aware of.

On the price, I understood that the price stated on the site is the price that is paid and if there are any discrepencies, they will cover it.

Keep asking, provide them with the bank feedback and let them know that you purchased and paid in Aussie dollars so should be liable for this amount only and not an increase if they don't specifically inform you (e.g. that the price is an estimate and payment is in another currency).
Cycling is in my BNA

Steppenwolf1980

Postby Steppenwolf1980 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi guys,

since in forums people usually describe their bad experiences with a company, I thought it'd be good to see that everything can turn out good, too. I am fully aware that this is my first post, which could be seen as hidden marketing or fake, but since I do live in Central Europe, it won't make sense to stick in an Australian Cycling Forum, my apologies for that. I only registered to share my experience with that company. It's up to you whether you take this information for serious or not, just throwing in my two cents here. Sorry for the long text.

I was recently looking for a Tri bike, since I am sick of doing basic training on one of my mountainbikes. Out of various reasons, I finally decided to head for a Triathlon bike and got myself sized at a local bike fitting shop. It turned out that the perfect frame for me would be a Blue Triad in size MD, which are very hard to find in Europe and if you do, they are terribly expensive. After some research and googling, I stumbled over the website of cyclingexpress, currently having these bikes on sale for a ridiculously cheap price (which always makes me suspicious). Before paying almost 3000 AUD to a company I do not know (on the other side of the planet), I tried to get some background informations about them and then found this thread, which is after all more negative than positive for their reputation, even though I found to see an improvement in their efforts over the last year (according to several posts). After some thinking, I decided to give it a shot, since the price was unbeatable - I am talking about ONE THIRD of the price over here, at least just the half including import taxes and duties.

(Un)fortunately, Blue Cycles is offering the frame in various sizes, even a shorter and a larger MEDIUM. Since I needed the shorter one and the webshop of cyclingexpress did not specify which one is the shorter, I had to contact them even before buying. Wrote an email, asking for the right size, if it is truly in stock and if they really take care of duties and tax as they stated on their webiste. 2 days no response (time difference +10 hours to my local time). Wrote a second email with telling that it is urgent, then got a reply after a couple of hours. In the meantime I managed to catch on of their employees (Fraser) in the live chat on their website, who was very polite and strived. He answered all my questions and checked for the right frame size, also sent me an email confirming that the size is in stock. I then ordered the bike, paying the price including duties and tax - the parcel was supposed to arrive at my house then without struggling with the customs office. They also provided a tracking number the day after purchase, but strangely the number did not work on the TNT website.

The only complaints I can make about cyclingexpress is that they took a week to get my bike out of their warehouse. I had a couple of chats with Fraser and some emails with their shipping guy in this time, since the latter told me that I have to pay customs and tax myself upon arrival (even though I paid CE to do so). Fraser explained that they just changed their habits for foreign shipment and that he did not know about that, but they will for sure cover the tax/duties for my order, since I already paid them. Strangely, the guy from the warehouse (in Taiwan) then had to call me before they shipped the bike. Must have been a Taiwanese guy, little broken English, but understandable. He said that they need "to check if I am a real person" - I do not understand why, since I already paid in advance, but nevermind. Then the bike went on its way to Europe and the tracking number worked, it took TNT from Thursday to Thursday to deliver it right at my door. I unpacked it one hour ago.

Funnily enough, my girlfriend got a road bike from wiggle's UK a week before and the groupset wasn't adjusted at all, unlike my Triad - but I also got the brakes on the wrong side like hers ;) We have the front brake left and the rear brike right over here. I have to change that tonight. My bike was quite well packed, even though the decals of the rear rim were a bit scratched. It's not that bad, since I do replace them with a set of Red Winds tomorrow anyway.

Overall, I would rate Cyclingexpress with 4 out of 5 stars. I for sure was a rather annoying customer with a lot of questions and being a little unpatient, since I am living a couple of thousand miles away. Fraser was always polite and had a lot of effort, that's why I mention him in particular. I hope that this review might help someone else when thinking about whether ordering at CE or not. Maybe I was just lucky, but I thought I'd share it here. Please understand that I will unregister from this forum in the next couple of days, since it won't make much sense to stay here ;)

Cheers from Austria, Marcus

P.S.: I am posting this picture to emphasise that I am a private person and customer. The rear skewer stuck out of my parcel, since they did not remove the rear wheel from the frame. Anyway, nothing damaged there.

Last edited by Steppenwolf1980 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Thanks for sharing, yes it is human nature to make a noise when things go wrong and simple accept but not praise when they go well.

In the forum we try to fost the positive (generally local bike shops and brands) in the Great Shopping Experiences thread with the intention of getting referrals for the good guys.
Cycling is in my BNA

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:26 am

As I have been one of the Cycling Express knockers I feel I should report that they are dealing with my damaged in freight Dura Ace 9000 wheels in a very professional manner. Top marks.

Steppenwolf1980

Postby Steppenwolf1980 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:13 am

Please feel free to move/copy my post in the other thread!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Well suited here, and a general reminder for readers to jump-in and give praise where due.
Cycling is in my BNA

ggoosen

Postby ggoosen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:50 pm

ytd wrote:I also got hit with an unexplained extra amount on my last CE order. I emailed them and they said it was my bank and the bank should refund it. But the bank said it wasn't their increase and anyway any foreign exchange charge by them would be a separate line on the visa statement not an increase in the billed amount. Everything on the website is A$ so why should there be a foreign exchange fee. The increase was only about 5% but it makes it hard to compare prices if you are billed a bigger amount than on the website. Maybe the ACCC should look at them for false advertising. So how do you get a refund? CE have sent me 2 replies both telling to complain to my bank.
I had this exact issue.

I have logged a call with cycling express and they are he'll bent that the charge is from the bank

Based on my investigations banks (like mine NAB) charge a % fee for international settlements

Due to the fact that CE is in HK.

I had a fat spat because nowhere on the site do they mention possible transaction fees. Infact they infer that there are no hidden costs.

None the less I have been arguing with them and they will not do anything else except for giving me a $10 voucher.

I have told them to shuv their $10 and ensure they update the website so that people don't get shafted

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:18 pm

hmmm, yes it was my understanding that the price you see is the price you pay.
I know from my work that the bank takes a $20 fee for receiving payments from overseas... and if it is paid in a different currency (and not AUD) then there are even more fees. A problem is that the bank don't list the fees seperately and just take a cut. In my experience they have not been as receptive or helpful as I would expect to explain deducations made. I have the advantage of usually knowing the exact amount that is paid and so can then see the consistent difference in the amount received.

But returning to the fees, this is a quote from the website from Aug 23,. 2013 - as discussed in this thread last year (here) and it is still the same now.
Cycling Express Website wrote:At Cycling Express, we don’t think online shopping should have that kind of anxiety associated with it. That’s why we’re offering to take care of all that for you.

That’s right: no matter what you buy, how much you spend or where you ship it, we’ll pay all those extra (sometimes hidden) costs for you. And we’ll make sure your order is delivered to you, not somewhere else. Not only that, but we’ll do all the paperwork that goes with it.

This really is a no hassle, delivery to your door service.

So, get going. Jump into the webstore, and shop with confidence, knowing that the checkout price really is all you need to pay.
This is the page on Cycling Express.

The fundamental problem is that prices are displayed in Aussie dollars and you expect to pay in Aussie dollars and the amount that is displayed. In my own case, in an order I made with CE, the amount displayed in Aussie dollars was exactly the amount booked from my account. (Oct 2013).
Cycling is in my BNA

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:46 pm

ggoosen wrote:Based on my investigations banks (like mine NAB) charge a % fee for international settlements
that is a separate transaction. it cannot appear on the same line item. the amount attributed to your CE purchase is the amount the bank has transferred to CE. they can't disown it - they are not telling you the truth.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:05 pm

jules21 wrote:that is a separate transaction. it cannot appear on the same line item. the amount attributed to your CE purchase is the amount the bank has transferred to CE. they can't disown it - they are not telling you the truth.
In my case, the bank simply takes a fixed amount if I receive an overseas payment and this is not listed seperately nor is tallied as a fee.

I have asked Cycling Express to take part in this thread as they have shown interest in this thread and said they are processing properly - but best if they respond.
Cycling is in my BNA

greggreg

Postby greggreg » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Just getting back into the bike scene after a few years off. Looking at CE Giant Mountain Bikes.

Being out for a few years, I am not up on models v's the year they were released, but the comments suggest they are 2011. example: http://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en& ... ntain-bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know what year these things are?

thanks
greg

MN GLXR

Postby MN GLXR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:13 pm

I have purchased a few times from them before and after their re-launch. Prices and service have been very good.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:34 am

Well just purchased some Keep on Kovers - z, best price I could find even with shipping paid. Needed new brake pads as well. Beat bikebug pricing with shipping just. So technically I got free shipping if I bought from bikebug.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:45 pm

And received today. Better than if I had bought off bikebug I'd still be waiting I suspect. So I'm happy to go back with them again

petal665

Postby petal665 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Bikebug have always been overnight for me.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:57 pm

CE have been rock solid on the last few orders I have put through. Good to see that they have turned their customer service around for the better and I now don't hesitate to buy from them. A year or two ago and I had given up on them.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:33 pm

petal665 wrote:Bikebug have always been overnight for me.
Your not on the other side of the country to them ;)

Gashead

Postby Gashead » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
petal665 wrote:Bikebug have always been overnight for me.
Your not on the other side of the country to them ;)
I am and have used Bikebug a couple of times so far this year. Delivery time has been excellent. Last order was sent via TNT (I think, definitely not AusPost) and I had the items in 2 days. A lot quicker than the normal 5 to 10 days you get with AusPost for anything coming across from the east. Only other online provider with as quick a service is Wiggle.

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Just bought some Bont Riot shoes from Cycling Express.

Absolute bargain at $152 delivered.

Ordered on the 20th , selected the free shipping option.
Got the order confirmation email straight away , then the order shipped email on the 24th.
2 days later on the 26th delivered by TNT.
The post date on the parcel was the 23rd , so 3 days from Taiwan to Tasmania.
Pretty happy with that.

MTG

Postby MTG » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Was hesitant like many others to use CE for any purchases yet after some initial email communication with some timely responses (from Fraser also) I have ordered an Azzurri Forza RL with SRAM Red 11spd groupo. It was dropped dramaticaly in price over the weekend to $1999 so I jumped on it. This morning I received an email saying it has been dispatched with a link to TNT. Interestingly though, via the TNT link, none of my reference numbers or order # code bring up anything on the TNT tracker, so we'll see when it arrives.
All in all, pretty happy so far - a couple of days to pick and despatch is very acceptable I'd say and the comms have been very acceptable also. At this point I can confirm also that only the amount listed on the site has been taken from my account with no further charges from my bank or CE.
Will report back once the bike arrives with further feedback - so far pretty happy with the whole process.

EDIT: Just this minute received a further direct email from Fraser at CE to confirm link to courier site and gave me the tracking number. Courier site says it's coming out of Melbourne and will be with me in around 2-3 days (says it left yesterday)- super happy just now as I may be riding this weekend!!

Thumbs up for CE so far!!

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:59 pm

MTG wrote: This morning I received an email saying it has been dispatched with a link to TNT. Interestingly though, via the TNT link, none of my reference numbers or order # code bring up anything on the TNT tracker, so we'll see when it arrives.
It probably wasn't actually "sent" when you first received the email advising you of TNT consignment note number. The freight person at CE probably had just done the paperwork and booked the pickup, it won't show in TNT system until the driver actually collects the parcel. Not CE's fault, just an idosyncracy or "feature" of TNT. CE might raise the paperwork at say 10am but the courier doesn't come past to pick up until 3pm.

DHL works differently, as soon as electronic consignment note number is created it is trackable on their system. Not sure about other carriers

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:39 am

I'm just waiting on my Argon 18 Krypton frame to come, received the e-mail this morning saying it has been dispatched, although reading further up it may not have been picked up yet, hopefully tomorrow.
No signature

MTG

Postby MTG » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:01 am

MTG wrote:Was hesitant like many others to use CE for any purchases yet after some initial email communication with some timely responses (from Fraser also) I have ordered an Azzurri Forza RL with SRAM Red 11spd groupo. It was dropped dramaticaly in price over the weekend to $1999 so I jumped on it. This morning I received an email saying it has been dispatched with a link to TNT. Interestingly though, via the TNT link, none of my reference numbers or order # code bring up anything on the TNT tracker, so we'll see when it arrives.
All in all, pretty happy so far - a couple of days to pick and despatch is very acceptable I'd say and the comms have been very acceptable also. At this point I can confirm also that only the amount listed on the site has been taken from my account with no further charges from my bank or CE.
Will report back once the bike arrives with further feedback - so far pretty happy with the whole process.

EDIT: Just this minute received a further direct email from Fraser at CE to confirm link to courier site and gave me the tracking number. Courier site says it's coming out of Melbourne and will be with me in around 2-3 days (says it left yesterday)- super happy just now as I may be riding this weekend!!

Thumbs up for CE so far!!
UPDATE: More thumbs up for CE. My bike arrived this morning after ordering last Saturday afternoon. I've yet to un-box it plus it actually was delivered yesterday with me not at home so from order to door within a week is pretty good in my books. Follow up from CE has been great too with regular contact from Fraser at CE so all in all (apart from not being able to contact the local courier yesterday) I'm super happy that i'll be riding by the weekend.

Un-boxing pics to follow if I can.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Bentnose wrote:I'm just waiting on my Argon 18 Krypton frame to come, received the e-mail this morning saying it has been dispatched, although reading further up it may not have been picked up yet, hopefully tomorrow.
My frame actually coming direct from Taiwan so it isn't going to arrive till Monday, didn't know they didn't have the frames here, do they have many items here?
No signature

drpants

Postby drpants » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:46 am

I'm having the worst experience with cycling express.

I purchased a trainer and bar tape in May 2013 and was told the trainer is out of stock. Over the phone, I was offered the choice of either waiting for it, picking something else or a full refund.

I elected to wait but strangely received a shipping notice a couple of days later which turns out to be the bar tape in the wrong colour.
No big deal, I sent them an email, they told me to send it back and they'll send the right colour.

I received no replacement and worst still, communications started getting worse. After 2-3 months I called up to check on the order and was told they'll look into it and call me back. I didn't receive a call. Repeat 2-3 times with the exact same result.

Last week I called up CE. After him checking up on it he told me there's nothing he could do and that I should email the company instead because apparently the online shop has nothing to do with him.

I shot over one email. No reply. Second email a couple of days later, still no reply. I just sent the third email and I'm at my wit's end. Is this really how they deal with costumers?