Garmin Edge 800

rifraf

Garmin Edge 800

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:33 am

Looking at getting one of these GPS units after reading a post here about the earlier 705 model
which intrigued me enough to do a little research.
Prices appear to have rapidly reduced recently enough to make me consider one seriously.
Now I hadn't heard of these until this week so I'm asking here to try and stay out of a money trap
as I often don't ask enough questions or take in the right answers when making purchasing decisions.
Often I don't make a decision due to the stress of wondering if I've made the right one for a
long period usually well after the special price that first piqued my interest is over.
I believe one of these units would be of great benefit to me as I sometimes get lost due to a combination
of being new to my area and some residual brain injury issues from a long ago car accident.
I occasionally have slow processing issues especially when stressed.
Surprise - getting lost is stressful - lol

I'm interested in the unit including the heart rate monitor, cadence and speed sensors.
I'm unsure of available maps solutions and their uses.

Wiggle appear to have the cheapest base unit with HRM, Cad/Spd sensors at $442.66 (free post)
(premium heart rate monitor and the GSC 10 speed/cadence sensor and bike mount) - 'base' maps only.

The best Australian price I can find is 539.00$AUD which includes
HRM Cad/Spd sensors + Topo/city 2011 maps AU/NZ and bike mount.

Now as I want this to help me get around I'm thinking I'll need some Aus maps.
Apparently some are available free from some sites but I'm not particularly technically minded
(more bloody minded apparently) so I'm suspecting maybe I should forgo the seemingly cheaper
price from Wiggle and pursue the Australian outlets price.
Opinions and thoughts please would be very helpful.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Max

Re: Garmin Edge 800

Postby Max » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:50 am

First things first, check out this thread, then this one. Personally, I first read about the Garmin 800 last year in a printed advertisement. It's the first time a printed advertisement has ever worked on me. I found the thread above and made the decision to buy one from Highly Tuned Athletes. I don't regret the purchase at all. Maps, cadence, HRM etc in the bundle. I'm very happy. So happy that I got one for my mum as a retirement gift. She actually told me it was the best gift she'd ever received.

RE purchasing from overseas, you'll see in the first thread that Rob (HTA) makes some very good points about maps and warranty. Although I could've purchased overseas, I decided that if I was going to lay down a substantial amount of cash, I didn't want the potential for warranty issues later down the track. Also, I wanted the Australian maps without any extra hassle. So it made sense for me to buy locally. Your view might be different - only you can make that decision.

I hope this helps! :)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Max wrote:First things first, check out this thread, then this one. Personally, I first read about the Garmin 800 last year in a printed advertisement. It's the first time a printed advertisement has ever worked on me. I found the thread above and made the decision to buy one from Highly Tuned Athletes. I don't regret the purchase at all. Maps, cadence, HRM etc in the bundle. I'm very happy. So happy that I got one for my mum as a retirement gift. She actually told me it was the best gift she'd ever received.

RE purchasing from overseas, you'll see in the first thread that Rob (HTA) makes some very good points about maps and warranty. Although I could've purchased overseas, I decided that if I was going to lay down a substantial amount of cash, I didn't want the potential for warranty issues later down the track. Also, I wanted the Australian maps without any extra hassle. So it made sense for me to buy locally. Your view might be different - only you can make that decision.

I hope this helps! :)
Max
Thanks heaps Max - very helpful indeed.
I missed the mentioned threads and enjoyed the many pages once you'd pointed them out.
Your points about maps and warranty have rung a chord with me and so once I'm ready to make the leap
I'll be looking to spend my money local.
Thanks for your assistance with this.

MDL

Postby MDL » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Had my Garmin 800 for about 2 months, Can't complain, does what it's meant to. Been happy with it. No problems with HRM or anything.

MDL

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:24 pm

MDL wrote:Had my Garmin 800 for about 2 months, Can't complain, does what it's meant to. Been happy with it. No problems with HRM or anything.

MDL
Hi MDL,
thanks for the vote of confidence in the product.
I'm hoping it will re-inspire me to get back out on my bike after a lengthy leave of absence.
Hearing that people aren't sorry they bought it having gotten over their initial purchase buzz
will make it a little easier parting with the big chunk of change needed to acquire one.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi

Another vote for the Garmin Edge 800 and Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes. I had a problem with the HRM strap and he sent me a new before I had sent the old one bac,.

Andrew

CLP1972

Postby CLP1972 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 am

handtec have the performance bundle for £274.91 which works out to about $420 .... though from memory postage is in the order of $25-30

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/36 ... nce-bundle

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Pointless buying overseas, if you want maps. Any savings you make are lost once you pay for the Australian maps.

I bought local.

Been very happy with mine. I'd have paid the extra over the 500 just for the touch screen without maps. It's so convenient and the larger screen is so easy to read.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:57 am

Have been using OSMaps for a while on my 705 and now 800, they're free and get updated very regularly compared to Garmin maps.
http://www.osmaustralia.org/downloads.php

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:11 am

Hi everyone,
a quick note of thanks for all the advice and pointers.
After careful consideration and hand wringing, whingeing and whining about the outlay ( I wont mention
the moaning and gnashing of teeth) I've decided the positives vastly outweigh the negatives so
I've made the decision to purchase.
The advice I've received here has convinced me the best way forward is to buy local.
The online reviews (including the one of durx's Edge 705 on this forum) have enthused me to
make the leap and to hopefully enjoy the ability to stop worrying about getting lost quite so much.
I've found my lack of local knowledge has been holding me back on my rides and inhibiting my ambitions to
stretch myself for short tours and thus I've allowed myself to become somewhat demotivated in getting off
the couch.
I'm hoping the Garmin will help change my current bout of apathy and get me going again now my bike is back up too scratch having received a bit of tlc by way of new stainless cables for brakes and gears with new outers to match.
I'm expecting my bundle to arrive middle of next week and will update you on my frustration of coming to grips
with the new technology then.
Again, thanks for everyone's input - much appreciated! :)

Puzz1e

Postby Puzz1e » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:12 am

Let us know how you go with your new toy! I'm tossing up betwen this and the 500. Still deciding if I really need the GPS navigation. I'm such a sucker for gadgets :oops:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:20 pm

Woo hoo!
My Garmins arrived safely a couple of minutes ago.
I listened to the advice in this thread and contacted Rob at Highly Tuned Athletes.
http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/
He was patience personified talking me through the purchase process after determining that
the Edge 800 was indeed the model to suit my needs.
No hard sell and easy to talk to, so a credit to his business.
I've just now opened the courier bag and found a double layer of bubblewrap around the box
securely attached making sure my unit didnt get knocked around in transit.
Robs estimate of my rural delivery time was spot on so I wasn't left fretting beside the mailbox.
It was great receiving detailed emails through out the process with a tax invoice acknowledging my order.
A confirmation email him having received my funds and then another email with courier details and
a tracking number including a message to contact Rob at any point should there be any delays or issues.
This was great as it left me feeling looked after instead of what you sometimes get with people without
an idea of customer service which is a feeling you've dropped your money into a black hole with no further contact until an item arrives (or not).
I've felt secure through out the process, safe in the knowledge that Rob is just an email or phone call away.
This was important to me as the Garmin represents a significant investment.
I'm going to break off here and examine my new toy but I will say thanks for "All" the comments and advice.
I've had a positive purchase experience due to my listening to it.
Thanks to to Rob for making it so easy.
Last edited by rifraf on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Crawf wrote:Have been using OSMaps for a while on my 705 and now 800, they're free and get updated very regularly compared to Garmin maps.
Thanks Crawf,
I'll look into this down the track and let you know how I get on. :D

Hux

Postby Hux » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:31 pm

My wife bought me the 800 as an early birthday present (that or a late one since she forgot last year). Awesome bit of kit. I am using the stand alone Training centre software (free from Garmin). She bought the Garmin Aus bundle from the local Goldcross for the same price as everywhere else sells them ($649).

Still learning to drive it, but generally its not too hard if you are used to GPS's generally. The manual is WRONG though about how to change the fields being displayed. Easy find with Google but not even remotely close to the Manual.
I love having cadence/hr/speed all being displayed as a guide to training output and how effective I am in effort. Nothing worse than watching it plummet on the hills (except for HR that is).

Still got a bit of a learn on using courses but I know Brisbane like an old fashion taxi driver so not a high priority.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Hux wrote:My wife bought me the 800 as an early birthday present (that or a late one since she forgot last year). Awesome bit of kit. I am using the stand alone Training centre software (free from Garmin). She bought the Garmin Aus bundle from the local Goldcross for the same price as everywhere else sells them ($649).

Still learning to drive it, but generally its not too hard if you are used to GPS's generally. The manual is WRONG though about how to change the fields being displayed. Easy find with Google but not even remotely close to the Manual.
I love having cadence/hr/speed all being displayed as a guide to training output and how effective I am in effort. Nothing worse than watching it plummet on the hills (except for HR that is).

Still got a bit of a learn on using courses but I know Brisbane like an old fashion taxi driver so not a high priority.
Nice pressie from the missus there Hux.
She doesnt want to adopt by chance??? :lol:
With regards to the manuals wrongness.....
I was wondering today (my Garmins first outing on the bike) how to get my heart-rate and cadence on
the screen the speed is on.
I'm happy to google it.
Would you put me straight by letting me know the key words to search?
I'm getting a little square eyed from being on the computer too long.

A_P

Postby A_P » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi rifraf,
there are 3 main timer screens, which can be configured to have up to 10 separate data fields each
press menu > the spanner > bike settings > training pages > timer pages.
you will see 3 pages , a course time and a workout timer
select the page, change the number of fields, then the green tick. You can then chose the data you want displayed for each field by selecting it and navigating ,
page one is always enabled, pages 2 and 3 need to be enabled so that they can be seen when scrolling through the pages whilst the device is active.
if you want to change a field without changing the number of fields for that screen you can just hold your finger on the screen for a second or 2, it will flash blue and then select from the menus
hope this helps
took me a little while to get it all figured out.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:43 pm

A_P wrote:Hi rifraf,
there are 3 main timer screens, which can be configured to have up to 10 separate data fields each
press menu > the spanner > bike settings > training pages > timer pages.
you will see 3 pages , a course time and a workout timer
select the page, change the number of fields, then the green tick. You can then chose the data you want displayed for each field by selecting it and navigating ,
page one is always enabled, pages 2 and 3 need to be enabled so that they can be seen when scrolling through the pages whilst the device is active.
if you want to change a field without changing the number of fields for that screen you can just hold your finger on the screen for a second or 2, it will flash blue and then select from the menus
hope this helps
took me a little while to get it all figured out.
Thanks A_P, I think I've gotten the first screen sorted (page 1).
Its been a full on day with a huge learning curve so I'll do some more tomorrow as I'm shattered.
The possible info is so vast its hard to make a choice.
I've settled for duration of ride, speed, cadence, distance and heart rate and time.
I'm stopping before I get any more overwhelmed.
After changing the setting I click the power button once to lock the setting?
Wow this is going to keep me busy and enthused for ages.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:18 am

Can someone throw some light on the different models or bundles for the 800 available?

I dont use cadence or HR at this time so I was trying to save a bit and get the non bumdle option. If I decide to get into HR and Cadence I'll buy what I need later on, if thats an option?

An LBS told me that the NON bundle doesnt have maps and you have to buy them or download them seperately..he wasnt sure and just said buy the bundle as 'its just easier'!

Thats fine if its true but $500 or $650 is quite a difference if I dont need the additional accesories...

So I just want a GPS with maps and to record all my stats like distance and so on, then upload them to the computer for some geek related fun!

Any help demistifying this before I buy would be great?

Cheers
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:50 pm

It is quite easy to add maps..... at no cost, I bought mine from UK and just downloaded the free aussie maps.

Sounds like you just need the base unit with the mount.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:53 pm

gururug wrote:It is quite easy to add maps..... at no cost, I bought mine from UK and just downloaded the free aussie maps.

Sounds like you just need the base unit with the mount.

I'm definitely buying it in Aus so I dont expect any issues related to buying from overseas, but the base model seems to be $500 at most places and then there's one that says TOPO for about $569...is this just the base unit with maps?

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Yes, topographical maps is an additional map package for offroaders

Hux

Postby Hux » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:02 pm

You will use HR and cadence a lot more than maps unless you constantly ride areas where you have no idea where you are going :mrgreen:

$150 extra for maps, HR and cadence is not too bad. $60 for cadence separately. You could probably just sell the cadence and HR monitor on ebay for $80-90 and have less stuffing around than downloading maps for an open source.

The Walrus

Garmin Edge 800

Postby The Walrus » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:32 pm

Gone for the bundle to save on assing around! Cheers everyone

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Crawf wrote:Have been using OSMaps for a while on my 705 and now 800, they're free and get updated very regularly compared to Garmin maps.
+1 for open street maps
When I bought my Garmin I then purchased the Australian maps via download. Not only do you not get any updates, but as I found out during my last two trips to the TDU they are not very accurate. Numerous times roads that have existed for over 50 years in Adelaide Hills do not show up on the map. Streets that are no more than dirt tracks are listed as main road. In simple terms the Garmin maps are rubbish. The OS maps proved to be far more accurate not only for roads, but also for place names and street names
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Riggsbie

Garmin Edge 800

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:48 pm

A quick question, do the cadence and HRMs work with all Garmin units ?

I have a 705 and like the look of the 800 so it would be good if I can use my current Garmin accessories.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD