Indoor bike trainer purchase help

Rider11

Indoor bike trainer purchase help

Postby Rider11 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a relatively cheap (~$2XX) indoor bike trainer. Looking for something that's decent quality, good for floorboards (with a mat underneath, of course), as quiet as possible, and appropriate for use with a stock standard Apollo Shadow Nexus or Fuji Crosstown 2 (not sure which one I'll use yet).
Both are hybrid bikes, and I'd like to resist having to change tyres every time.

Given the above, I'm confused as to which type of trainer (magnetic, fluid, rim drive, etc) I'd need for the above bikes, without damaging them or their tyres.

Any advice on which type suits best and models to check out would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: I had a look at the Jet Black Fluid Z1 today, but not sure if it's any good/appropriate for the above-mentioned bikes? Can be had for $250..

Bentnose

Re: Indoor bike trainer purchase help

Postby Bentnose » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:35 pm

I use the Minoura VFS-G-R, fluid/magnetic hybrid wheel drive, with a spare bike I have dedicated to indoor training, saves changing tyres. Sounds like you have two bikes to choose from so it may be worthwhile for winter training to put a cheap tyre on one of them and use it exclusively for indoor training.
No signature

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Rider11 wrote:Hi all,

I'm in the market for a relatively cheap (~$2XX) indoor bike trainer. Looking for something that's decent quality, good for floorboards (with a mat underneath, of course), as quiet as possible, and appropriate for use with a stock standard Apollo Shadow Nexus or Fuji Crosstown 2 (not sure which one I'll use yet).
Both are hybrid bikes, and I'd like to resist having to change tyres every time.

Given the above, I'm confused as to which type of trainer (magnetic, fluid, rim drive, etc) I'd need for the above bikes, without damaging them or their tyres.

Any advice on which type suits best and models to check out would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: I had a look at the Jet Black Fluid Z1 today, but not sure if it's any good/appropriate for the above-mentioned bikes? Can be had for $250..
If you can't blow your budget - I would be looking at a Mag trainer as you can get a decent one for around $300.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Rider11

Postby Rider11 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Thank you both for your feedback, greatly appreciated. :)

So the Jet Black Z1 isn't recommended by anyone?
I was thinking about using only the Fuji and just finding an el-cheapo rear wheel/tyre for use with the trainer (as the Fuji has a quick release rear wheel, unlike the Apollo).

Thoughts?

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Rider11 wrote: So the Jet Black Z1 isn't recommended by anyone?
I was thinking about using only the Fuji and just finding an el-cheapo rear wheel/tyre for use with the trainer (as the Fuji has a quick release rear wheel, unlike the Apollo).

Thoughts?
I believe the Jet Black fluid trainer is a good product. And unless you are using a knobby tyre you shouldn't need to be concerned about tyre wear. The fluid trainers seem to provide better resistance than the magnetic trainers.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 am

Have you thought of getting a gym style spin bike? If space and transportability aren't issue for you, then they are a cheap option. You can pick up high quality ex gym ones for under $200. No tyres to replace or wear out, and they're infinitely adjustable so you can set it up to mimick your bike setup, just different handlebars. Usually they have some surface rust but a scotch pad and some oil/primer/protectant will sort that out. Way cheaper than a 2nd bike + trainer.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Rider11 wrote:Thank you both for your feedback, greatly appreciated. :)

So the Jet Black Z1 isn't recommended by anyone?

Thoughts?
I wouldn't buy the Jet Black one, my buddy has the top model with the power metre and has had a heap of problems and a long drawn out warranty process. Sorry I don't have the specifics of what went wrong with it but it failed and was only about 6 months old.

This would be a good unit within your budget: http://www.this link is broken/Elite-Moro- ... or-Trainer

Personally I use (and sell) the Kurt units, they are really good but they cost like double what you want to spend. I think they are worth the money but I do use it 3-5 days a week for 1-2hrs at a time so for me it was worth the dollars to have something bullet proof.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm

I've got a Jet Black M1, and it's perfect for what it needs to do.
I got mine as part of a promo, and got M1 Trainer, Riser Block, Travel Bag & Trainer Mat all for $250.

http://www.lakesbikes.com.au/product.php?id=568
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

nedkelly1899

Postby nedkelly1899 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Jut a tip, dont buy the jetblack fluid trainers!!

As the owner of a Jetblack Z1 fluid trainer I am extemely unhappy, saddened, no just really unhappy re the followup service, warranty, and response from Jetblack Australia, regarding my purchase.
After a couple of years of very light use, the roller jammed or seized. Not through overuse or abuse. I am not technically savvy in regards fixing this, so I decided to contact JetBlack Australia themselves, after all there is a lifetime warranty, haha, . Unfortuneately due to a couple of house moves, I had lost my original receipt. No amount of arguing, too and fro emails etc, would change JetBlacks mind regarding the actual liability of fixing the trainer. Without my original receipt I might have just been some idiot on the street, or a homeless person, that's how they treated me. I was treated so badly I feel quite traumatised. Avoid their obligations at any cost, yes Sir!! Sadly their view was your problem, your fix, not our problem any more. Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful for something that is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and that cost a reasonable sum of money in the first instance. Not happy and would never buy another JetBlack product again. Never...
I live in Melbourne Australia and would like to make a comment about the poor quality and extremely poor service from the Jetblack Australian representatives in this country. Here is my comment: As the owner of a Jetblack Z1 fluid trainer I am extemely unhappy, saddened, no just really unhappy re the followup service, warranty, and response from Jetblack Australia, regarding my purchase. After a couple of years of very light use, the roller jammed or seized. Not through overuse or abuse. I am not technically savvy in regards fixing this, so I decided to contact JetBlack Australia themselves, after all there is a lifetime warranty, haha, . Unfortuneately due to a couple of house moves, I had lost my original receipt. No amount of arguing, too and fro emails etc, would change JetBlacks mind regarding the actual liability of fixing the trainer. Without my original receipt I might have just been some idiot on the street, or a homeless person, that's how they treated me. I was treated so badly I feel quite traumatised. Avoid their obligations at any cost, yes Sir!! Sadly their view was your problem, your fix, not our problem any more. Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful for something that is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, and that cost a reasonable sum of money in the first instance. Not happy and would never buy another JetBlack product again. Never...

RichB

Postby RichB » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Sweet grave dig Ned Kelly. However, you have options as a consumer with a bunch of protections available in what is known as Australian Consumer Law. In short, you can request remedy from the retailer or manufacturer, and you only need proof of purchase when pressing for compliance with this legislation. The original receipt is not required, so unless you paid in cash, you can probably find proof elsewhere.

FWIW s54, s59, s259(1)(b), s259(2)(B), s261, s263(1)(2)(3)(4) and s271(1) are your friend. Most retailers will fill their pants at the sound and compliance soon follows, such is life.