Fun with thumb tacks

il padrone

Fun with thumb tacks

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Why the Schwalbe Marathon XR are so well-regarded amongst world touring cyclists (now no longer available but replaced by the Marathon Mondial).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8fT13r ... re=related[/youtube]
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Max

Re: Fun with thumb tacks

Postby Max » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 am

Wow! That's terrifically impressive. Has anyone had experience with the Mondial?

BTW, is it just my imagination, or is he running super-low pressure in his tyres?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 pm

The Mondial is only fairly new on the European market. I have not heard of it available in Australia yet. I'm very confident I could do the same with Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres.
Mandatory helmet law?

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Max wrote:BTW, is it just my imagination, or is he running super-low pressure in his tyres?
No, that's crazy low, gotta be something like 10 PSI :?

Still, the last bit of that video was quite impressive :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Very cool. What difference is there between the Marathon XR and Marathon Mondial?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Very similar tread design

Marathon XR

Marathon Mondial

Apparently the Mondial is a heavier tyre (not sure why) and it has some fancy new casing design features.
Schwalbe wrote:The Marathon Mondial owes its long-lasting durability to its rubber mixture. In order to optimize contradictory technical properties Schwalbe combines compounds like no other manufacturer, targeting particluar areas to their respective requirements. The Marathon Mondial has "State of the Art" TravelStar Triple Compound. Under the tread centre lies an elastic mixture for easy rolling, while there is a grippy rubber compound, for cornering traction on the tire´s shoulder. In the middle of the tread an abrasion-resistant, harder compound offers low rolling resistance for thousands of miles.
Unpredictable gravel roads and potholes, acacia thorns: these are the treacherous tire killers. Protection may come down to the smallest of margins such as the durability of the rubber mixture. The lightweight extremely densely woven High Density puncture protection belt reliably protects against punctures and ruptures. The light but sturdy "Snakeskin" protection provides maximum reinforcement against sharp objects that would otherwise cut the sidewall.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:31 am

Well that tyre in the youtube is a marathon plus tour. My commuter has the marathon plus and it too can run over glass and tacks like that. Does make a challenge when you go back to normal tyres and your behaviour really has to change. Instead of thinking nah my tyres will not puncture, it's eeep glass & swerve to avoid or pick a path. I wonder how my Supreme Dureme's would hold up, but I've got slime in my tubes anyhow....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:34 am

lethoso wrote:No, that's crazy low, gotta be something like 10 PSI :?
Not quite sure where you get that idea ?? The Marathon Supreme tyres were going down after riding through the thumb tacks, but the Marathon XRs look to be at pretty normal pressures when he is riding them - some tyre deformation due to his weight but not much. I'd say he'd have ~60 psi in them, about what they need (they are 26"x2.00" tyres so don't need 110psi)

[edit] Ah, Marathon Plus Tour - so it is. That explains the puncture resistance. Those beasts have a really thick puncture resistant layer - heavy as all get-out but unbeatable.
Mandatory helmet law?

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:52 am

I cringed when I saw the tacks on the floor up turned like that...
But yeah, good tyres.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:58 am

I've got a starbike order in the works, so I'll pick up a pair of Mondials whilst I am at it. See how they go, but my current tyres the Dureme's I expect them to last for a good while still. They wore excellent on my last tour. Just tried putting a tack in my duremes and bang air comes flying out :lol: Just gave the wheel a quick spin to get the slime plugging the hole.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:10 pm

il padrone wrote:Not quite sure where you get that idea ?? The Marathon Supreme tyres were going down after riding through the thumb tacks
yeah, that's probably where :lol: I didn't watch the video hugely closely